It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where has all the music gone?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSaddenedElf
About Metallica--
I'm a die-hard 'tallica fan. They're they reason I took up playing music in the first place. I'm going to see them in April when they came 'round here...but they've been called sell-outs since Fade To Black, just because it was melodic. Along with Slayer and Anthrax, Metallica helped to create a new genre of music. I don't see them as going soft, they just re-invent themselves and their music takes a new form. Oh well, thats just my opinion...

P.S.--
Proven fact--MetallicA Rules! Bang the head that doesn't bang..

I cant say how much I agree, although I always feel they were branded sell outs after the hair debacle of Load, I sometimes get pissed at Nothing Matters when I hear it on the radio and I feel like rocking out but thats not to say its a good song.

yeah local music is ok...like OAR round here.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I just got as far as beastie boys

[Edited on 29-2-2004 by Amuk]

It gets better as you go down the list

Anyway, Im not offended...*crawls up in fetal position and weeps*

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarrierAnomaly
I can't stand rap. I hate all of these kids trying to be gangsters. There are a bunch in my school, as rap music is very popular around here. They don't care about even trying in school or anything. I can't wait until they're pumping my gas so I can throw it in their face. So I can laugh at them for throwing their lives away.

"Oops! You got pregnant when you were 17 and married the guy because you "loved" him and he "loved" you! O what's that? He left you? Why am I not surprised?! What's that? You're 23, dirt poor, have a kid, you're single, you don't have a High School diploma and you live with your mother?
"

OMG this sounds just like where I live....ha! I've got damn fools running around thinking they're cool and then a year or two later in a S-load of trouble with pregnancies, no job, and no money. Then they just whine that it's someone elses' fault or smoke/sell pot so they can escape for a few hours at night. I've got plenty of younger friends who followed this path and they have really screwed their lives up...but some of them still play hip-hop soldier with the ladies and the girls eat it up! These guys don't realize that 5 years down the road these same girls aren't going to be buying your BS anymore. It's F'd up and I want to just shove the hip-hop crap right up MTV's butt for all the damage they are doing to our country.

Some people can realize that music is just music...listen to it, don't try to live it...it's NOT REAL.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
What are you talking about?

There's plenty of good music these days.

Godsmack, Disturbed, Eminem, 50 Cent, Weird Al, Linkin Park, Kid Rock, etc.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Dude, look underground for your music, there's more talent out there than there has ever been before.

i agree. all the good stuff is underground. the reason you only find garbage on the radio and being shoved in your face is because the CEOs of big music industry record labels, have figured out how to keep the masses entertained, at very little expense.

heres the formula
(Pretty face)+(synchronized dance step)+(catchy hook)= fifteen minutes, plus a lot of cash.

music isnt lost. yes, there was a lot of good music "back in the day"...but theres a lot today also. you just gotta dig for it. does the originator of this thread mean to suggest that because "good" music is no longer found readily, that it ceases to exist? nope. there is still talent out there. ive got an idea; how bout we stop relying on the media industry to entertain us before we end up brainwashed vegetables - and go find the music we want to listen to, or even make it ourselves.

-lost

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I started playing guitar at the age of 15, so it is about 40 years of doing music.

It seemed to me that there was a great music crash about the time they started this disco stuff, rendering any starter musicians unemployed or underemployed.

After the Rolling Stones started to popularize their devil nancebo effect, actual sincere protesting from moral authority went out the window. I suppose that was a CIA plot from H-E-double hockey sticks. To make matters worse, the CIA popularized "punk rock," supposedly to make it seem like helpless screaming fools are on top, when in fact their tatoos and nose rings make them more like malleable slaves.

Then to make matters worse for any possibility of social change proceeding out of music, Rap music began it's dreadful "keep me down," so called anti-poetry.

This is free speech you say? No it is a defective commercial product! It is trauma induced mind control on a massive scale.

Who are these lunatics who "call the shots," on who gets famous, and what songs are popular?

I would like to beam them onboard a holodeck, make them think nothing happened, while removing them mercifully from the sorry world they created. Better yet do it with a time machine and make a suitable world by removing only a few of these overbearing morons of the elite who control everything with their idiocy.

Give me a nice bunch of ballads, keep the trauma based mind control music on hand for analysis of what to avoid, and what to be conscious about avoiding. Next put music to an objective test of what is pleasing, and keep it going! Rock on, but take out the garbage already!

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
sorry this is late but

(qoute)
Underground music is just a tern that people think is cool to use when they are trying to be different.(end quote)

AMEN!!!

- i am sick of hearing the term "underground" used as a publicity stunt..... tony hawk.... **UNDERGROUND** ...ooohhh ahhhh!!!. theres absolutley nothing "UNDERGROUND" about that game or anyother.

its ridiculous... seriously.
sometimes stupid people make me soo mad.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Hey guys - quit sippin the hateraid!

I'd say that the problem is that a lot of you are taking the good and forgetting the bad - how much trash came out of the 60's and 70's? A hell of a lot!

As for todays music, it really depends on what you are in to.

A lot of older people can't get into music like rap simply because they were never brought up with it. Personally, I like a lot of it, and dislike more of it. Groups like Outkast get ruined for me when i hear "hey ya" 180000000000 times a week. But go back and listen to Southernplayalisticcadillacfunkymusic or ATliens and you realize that they have lots of talent. Then there are the obvious rap icons like 2pac and Biggie.

If you are into rock I'd recomend some incubus. Especially an album like Science. No one can tell me that those guys dont have talent. Then if you are into the flower power theres always Phish. You kinda have to be a pot fiend to get the true experience though

Then there is always Sublime and Long Beach Dub All-stars if you want that raggea/rock/punk sound.

All in all, I think it comes down to taste in music. The one thing that can be said about todays music though is that there are more different genres then there ever have been before, which in my estimation is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carrion
Really don't like most of the popular music around here. Most of the stuff I listen to is Project Pitchfork, VNV Nation, Wumpscut, Front Line Assembly, and lot of others. You never hear anything like that around here and whenever I try and get friends and stuff to listen to it they think it's all weird and stuff.

On the bands.

Where is "around here" for you? State? Country?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
king crimson
pink floyd
Early genesis with peter gabriel
Gentle giant
emerson lake and palmer
The beatles
yes
the velvet underground
the moody blues
led zep
crosby stills and nash
greatful dead
bob marley
the doors
jefferson airplane
santanna

all theese groups and many more were a moment in time.....something magical...havent you ever had a short time in your life when every thing in it seemed at a peak and in looking back will never be the same...you said to your self ....it will never be like that again..... its a moment in time that cant be repeated.....theese groups came at a time that was auspicous for the world and it cant be repeated.....many of them tapped the super conciousness through the use of hallucinogens and created that music we so admire .....its never going to happen again like that .....there are some good bands...hard to find....dave matthews is not bad
some underground stuff is hard to find though cause its not marketed.....the money makers want you to eat there materialistic garbage and your damn right its mind control!!!!!! the last thing they want is that stuff to resurface and challenge peoples minds to be creative and to think for themselves....they want todays youth to be blood meal for the plant thats plowed

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
radio head is pretty heavy
and its marketed

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
i think you should look to the shady area that is electronic music many ppl who make electronic music are very talented eg.the Prodigy,Chemical Brothers,The Crystal Method (the first album),Aphex twin,Orbital,Leftfield.
Many of the bands shown here have amazing talent and variety in their music unlike sterrotypical "club" music.Just like they say Electronic Music is the future....

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
VNV Nation
Covenant
Funker Vogt
Echo Image
Apoptygma Berzerk
Beborn Beton
Front 242
And One
Headscan
Implant
Assemblage 23
God Module
Nebula-H
Negative Format
Wolfsheim
Lights of Euphoria
Seabound
Icon of Coil
De/Vision
Kontiuum
Pride & Fall
Colony 5

And there is your EBM/Futurepop/Industrial Dance/Electro-Synthpop lesson for the day.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Oh ya and I am not really into Cyber-Noise, but Terrorfakt is really original. The only way that I can describe it is music that you violently vacuum to as I often do.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
We have a band up here, don't know if they made it in the States or not, called The Tea Party. I'd describe them as The Doors on steriods.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
We have a band up here, don't know if they made it in the States or not, called The Tea Party. I'd describe them as The Doors on steriods.

The tea party are great, however only a few songs after their first two albums interest me. Their first two albums were amazing, im my opinion. The doors on steriods, hehe i like it. I can also hear a large Zeppeling influence and an eastern influence as well. Their 'eastern sounding' songs are some of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have been in the music biz for over a decade.

First thing, do not depend on MTV, VH1 or much else as your exposure to new music. You are going to get flavor of the month......talent is secondary, sales and entertainment are first. I have been a first hand participant and witness to this.

The general rule of the current state of the biz is now: Throw as much stuff up against the wall and see what sticks. Most record companies do not care about quality, just numbers. Companies are not really into developing bands or artists much anymore. If you sow Sh**, you reap Sh**. There are exceptions to every rule of course, but the majority just love the dollar. Trust me.

Finding good music has always been like panning for gold. You have to sift through the dirt to find the nuggets. There just seems to be less gold and more dirt nowadays, but the gold is there. The web has had a huge impact on that aspect. I spend a fair bit of my time surfin' and listening to new stuff. Every now and then, I am rewarded with something that really grabs me.

The music has not gone anywhere, you just have to look a bit harder, not necessarily through the old methods.

rant over

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
I have been in the music biz for over a decade.

First thing, do not depend on MTV, VH1 or much else as your exposure to new music. You are going to get flavor of the month......talent is secondary, sales and entertainment are first. I have been a first hand participant and witness to this.

The general rule of the current state of the biz is now: Throw as much stuff up against the wall and see what sticks. Most record companies do not care about quality, just numbers. Companies are not really into developing bands or artists much anymore. If you sow Sh**, you reap Sh**. There are exceptions to every rule of course, but the majority just love the dollar. Trust me.

Finding good music has always been like panning for gold. You have to sift through the dirt to find the nuggets. There just seems to be less gold and more dirt nowadays, but the gold is there. The web has had a huge impact on that aspect. I spend a fair bit of my time surfin' and listening to new stuff. Every now and then, I am rewarded with something that really grabs me.

The music has not gone anywhere, you just have to look a bit harder, not necessarily through the old methods.

rant over

Does anyone even really remember that MTV is "Music Television". If this was up to the people who actually have ears to listen to music with, MTV would have been pulled off the air years ago. Even channels like Much that would make fun of how repetitive MTV was have become just like MTV, full of crappy shows and 4 or less minutes of video.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, first of all..not all music is Britney Spears' type. What do you think Rock is? Many of the new AND popular bands are old-school sounding rock. Sorta like soft sounding rock. The "feel-good" music. The White Stripes. The Ataris. And more. Now, some music, yes, is Britney Spears' type, but hey, to each their own, and no, it isn't a deeper mind-control theory.

-wD

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Agent47,

Some say The "M" in MTV now stands for Moron....I disagree, it stands for MARKETING. A channel that could have gone onto to such great heights.....to enlighten our children to art and the world ....is nothing more than an instant Pez-dispencer of disposable music and art. Pathetic.

As I said, MTV and VH1 are utterly useless. I know people who work there and they will be the first people to tell you that.

My philosophy is that no matter what you are selling, you should know something about it. ie, if you are selling toothpaste, you should know something about it!

a sad, sad state of affairs

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by Facefirst]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join