It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where has all the music gone?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Drop some E, dude, let's rave. Would it surpise you to know tha the term Rave, in music terms, was coined by Buddy Holly more than 40 years ago? Though I don't think that he had this in mind.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
download the music video Korn---ya'll want a single.

I don't listen to them but howard stern got me to watch it.

It's about the musica industry, it has statistical information popping up during the video about:

how only 4 songs get picked and they play it over 100x a week on radio stations.

How two major music conglomerates control what we hear.

So and so on...

It's very informative and scary to say the least.

This really does have to stop.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I record my own stuff, but I probably won't get signed, nor do I really want to. I do it more as a hobby now rather than a career. I don't fit the 'image', my music can't be labeled as anything specific, so no label will sign me, unless I start my own.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Quintar~~and that's what is wrong you could be the most talented person in the universe, but if you don't fit, no one will even look at you. Really too bad. Not many of us have the $$ to finance our own dreams.

I understand that there is a monopoly on the music industry, but I don't really know why they would want to do this. Alienation between generations has been mentioned, but the young and old travel to a different drummer. We do't need a lack of talent on the public airwaves (not the Internet) to keep that alienation alive.
Corporations are making big bucks anyway on musicians, so there's no need to put forth the effort to cultivate more talent?
Mind control?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think that there is some amazing music out there. Unfortunately, the mainstream multinational music conglomerates put a stranglehold on music that inspires creative thought. When we allow the corporations to own our airwaves, we strangle the voices that speak of change. Corporations dont like change. That's why crappy remakes of songs like "They paved paradise" get airtime while new voices like Michael Franti remain relatively unheard of. It's prevalent all over the place.. look at our current educational system. They want mcpeople to hold mcjobs. The advertising media has finally figured out, after years of research that subjugating art effectively subjugates people in general. Shows like Survivor and american idol require no thought. The same old regurgitated songs introduce no new memes.. They want all of our mind space for the memes that they wish to promote. Iraqi Liberation, Democracy, Patriotism, yadda yadda..

I could go on and on about why I think this has occurred, however, I would like to direct everyone's attention to some subversive music that has been springing up in the underground and is worth a listen. The artists listed open up a wealth of great new music that needs to be heard:

www.daveyd.com...
www.protest-records.com...
www.newsongsforpeace.org...
www.notinournamemusic.com...
www.lacarte.org...-War_Songs

Alot of poets are also getting involved:
www.poetsagainstthewar.org...
www.nthposition.com...
www.nthposition.com...
www.nthposition.com...

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by GanjaGoddess]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Could it possibly be that Its all been done? I mean how can people keep on and on coming up with something that is better than we've already heard. And I guess its a matter of opinion too, I actually absolutely love todays country and alternative rock music. And I abosolutely loved the Rock and roll legends of the seventys and eighties, those years were my youth man but you can't go back and do them over again. You have to move on to different new happening things. Here is another for instance- my kids don't like anything shape form or fasion that I liked when I was thier age.

I think one reason you don't see that many great musicians anymore is because there is no place to play. Oh there was a place but the cops camped out around the place and gave everyone DUI's until it has been reduced to a teen night club with no alchohol. There is no such thing as going out and having a good time any more and listening to a killer band two miles down the road. Those days are gone.

One of the things I like about going to church is having a place to play piano. There I can be somewhat of a star. I learned to play bass sitting in church. If I don't die in the next few days I am planning on being a good musician. Man It sure takes time though, it doesn't happen over night.

I'd say if the music is selling its kicking.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
Could it possibly be that Its all been done? I mean how can people keep on and on coming up with something that is better than we've already heard.

Not as long as Jimmy Page or John Waters' brains are still showing life functions. Knock on wood.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ya'll have touched a nerve with this topic.

I devoted my life to music over 25 years ago and have "fought the good fight" against (what I consider to be) the forces of mediocrity for all that time. I have watched the music industry devolve to it's current state with a quixotic mixture of disgust and glee...disgust because so few people under a certain age even have "good" music as part of their mental paradigm (kudos to the young individual early on in this post who discovered Prog) and glee as the industry cuts it's own throats.

The music industry has always been full of venal and corrupt slimeballs who exploited artists for their own profit...but until the past ten years or so the slimeballs of which I speak actually cared (in some incremental way) about the music. Now, after all the mergers, the major labels are in the hands of the beancounters.

The poetic justice in all of this is that the rampant greed that has driven the music industry to market only to the 12-25 year old demographic is losing ground rapidly. Those of us who don't find Kid Rock, Eminem, or Britney enjoyable (or even listenable) have nothing to buy. The recent success of artists like Norah Jones should give these people a clue that there is a vast untapped audience of quality-starved people out there. Aside from reissues of a few Beatles albums here and there, no one is really marketing to the boomers and gen x...and that's a mistake! These audiences were far less fickle...they would follow an artists career for the most part. All the recent flops by Kid Rock and co should make these idiots change their strategy, but they have instead chosen to circle the wagons and whine about downloading.

It would probably help if CDs were sold at a reasonable price too. It costs me all of a buck to burn and package a CD-R of my own material (I have a nice little rant about this on my website on the "Writings" page) and I don't get the bulk discounts that the labels get.

Time to go to work...thank you for the opportunity to vent about one of my favorite subjects.

(Shameless plug warning) Check out some of my own music on my site. The younger set may not be into it (sorry to generalize, but I've not run into too many people under 25 that get into my material), but it has the redemptive quality of being free.

Ludi

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm gonna jump in here and say that in my opinion, the most influencial band of the new millenium would have to be...uh.......uh.....aw f*ck it. Nevermind.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Could it possibly be that Its all been done? I mean how can people keep on and on coming up with something that is better than we've already heard.

Not as long as Jimmy Page or John Waters' brains are still showing life functions. Knock on wood.
[/quot]

Yeah but how long has it been since they have even come close to writing something simular to thier " greatest rock song of all time Stairway to Heaven"? Its not likely to happen in my most humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I dont mean to be a dick but shouldnt this be in Music forum?

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by drunk]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I totally agree todays music sucks, i heard a dance re-make of comfortably numb on a night out the other day, i almost killed the dj, and im only 18, i wasnt alive when all the good music was created, and i can still see new stuff sucks, im a beatles, zeppelin, floyd, thin lizzy and queen fan. There is however light at the end of the tunnel, i dont know if u in america have heard of "the darkness" yet, i admit its not zeppelin its more glam rock, but they are having every success over here and its the direction i want music to go in instead of hip hop #

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Cs_Exile]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yeah but how long has it been since they have even come close to writing something simular to thier " greatest rock song of all time Stairway to Heaven"? Its not likely to happen in my most humble opinion.

Well John Waters was actually part of Pink Floyd and IMO Jimmy has made some good material since Stairway which I dont think is the greatest song Zep ever made, that credit would go to When the Levee Breaks.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Jimmy has made some good material since Stairway which I dont think is the greatest song Zep ever made, that credit would go to When the Levee Breaks.

I wonder if any Zep fans think Stairway is their best work.
I personally think their first album is their best work.

One has to wonder what the music industry will do when even 12-25 yr olds get tired of the current drek, umm, I mean "music"?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
with performers such as , Britney, Eminem, Kid Rock.. etc. I have been searching out other types of music and have discovered a new world of good sounding music.

One being, Bluegrass, that's right, I said it, Bluegrass. Allison Krauss and Union Station are awesome !

I have also recently gotten into "space" music or ambient music. It's really nice and relaxing, not a bunch of cursing, screaming or rapping.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
One being, Bluegrass, that's right, I said it, Bluegrass. Allison Krauss and Union Station are awesome !

I fell in love with Allison when I heard her remake Keith Whitley's "When you say nothing at all."

I've been hooked ever since. There is a musical depth to the way her voice harmonizes with a steel geetar that makes me want to cry tears of extascy

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I must say if I had to put down one new band on a list of acceptable tunes I would put OAR and that would be it.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
half of the bands I like have spilt or died-out, the only ones left around are Radiohead, The Darkness, Snow Patrol (Who are damn good), The Cooper Temple Clause, Foo Fighters and probably (in some form or another) Yes, Motorhead and Hawkwind.

BTW: Rap is OK, hip hop is crap
[Edit: rumaged through my CD's and found some more]

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by FreeKish]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Obviously you don't listen to death metal, scream metal, or heavy metal, because you wouldn't have posted this thread. There is plenty of music out there that addresses the same things we discuss on ATS. It just isn't mainstream, that's all.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It all revolves around rap and hip hop. All the lyrics are about F*** You and F**** that.... and Bi%atch this, and Suck my etc. Same rap beat over and over=yes a form of mind control trance technique

I have to agree,,,,,where has all the talent gone?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join