It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP...i dont know who to vote for...i'm a Republican that does not like McCain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yes i am a Republican that doesnt like McCain.

The main reason i do not want to vote for John McCain is because he is going to continue the current administrations policy's , wich includes continuing the war in the middle east.

i understand the pro's and con's of bringing home the troops. were in trouble either way , but to stay there indefinitely is going to financially ruin this country.

there has to be another solution to this quagmire and obviously John McCain has no other options to offer except to stay at war. bad idea imho

so here i am a Republican stuck with McCain if i vote my party. i dont want to cross party lines and vote Democrat because i Don't like Clinton or Obama (there are many reasons why) even though they say they want to bring the troops home.

you see i am really having a hard time with this decision and i am hoping by starting this thread i can gain the knowledge i need to make the right decision.

if i am not happy with any candidate should i just not vote ?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't think you should abandon all hope this soon in the election.

I'll go ahead and tell you that I am not a fan of McCain either, and we are not alone in the Republican party, especially if you are a conservative like I am. However, while there are certainly a few things I am strongly opposed to McCain on, there are even more things I am opposed to in regards to Clinton and Obama.

Now I'm not saying we go out and vote simply on the "lesser of two evils" policy, but it is something to keep in mind.

Also keep in mind that there is still plenty of time between now and the general election in which people like me are going to voice their opinions and let McCain know that unless he wakes up on a few important issues, he is not going to get a vote from others like myself.

Keep an open mind and let's wait and see what happens. There's still time to shake things up.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

thanks for your reply,

I don't think you should abandon all hope this soon in the election.

thanks for your optimystic outlook on this. i agree its still early and alot of things may change by the time its decision time. i know there has to be alot of Republicans feeling the way i do.

let McCain know that unless he wakes up on a few important issues, he is not going to get a vote from others like myself.

how exactly can we let him know or get him to wake up on these important issues ?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
how exactly can we let him know or get him to wake up on these important issues ?

There are several ways we can accomplish this.

Get involved at every level. Call and write your local radio talk show and voice your concerns about McCain, try to get a buzz going about the things you’re worried about. Get some contact information from McCain’s website and call and email and let them know what your concerns are as well.

The best thing we can do is to raise awareness about the concerns we have regarding McCain. If enough of us complain and make him realize he NEEDS us to win this election, eventually he will listen. If he doesn’t, then we might be looking at 4 years of Obama in the white house; not a pretty picture I know, but at least we’ll know we gave it our best shot.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hey, I can understand dilemma. For what it's worth, I'll give you my two cents...

First, I am a war vet and a lifelong Republican. I will be voting for Barack Obama. At this point, to me, he is the only choice.

I would not vote for McCain or Clinton under any circumstances. I know this might shock some, but in the areas that of the greatest importance, they are two sides of the same coin.

Of all the candidates who ran this race, Obama reminds me most of Ronald Reagan. He and Reagan share more similarities in leadership than you can shake a stick at. Its surreal, considering Reagan was another right candidate at the right time.

Obama also has the mad political skills that Abraham Lincoln had. Similar backgrounds, also (backwoods lawyer, short term state senate career, insane trajectory).

In short, I believe Obama is the one who can get this nation back on track by (a.) uniting the people for a cause greater than any self; (b.) getting serious on bringing a workable solution to the political problems in Iraq; (c.) getting the deficit under control; (d.) bringing back the prestige around the world we have lost; (e.) putting veterans' needs at the top of the to-do list; and on and on.

He might be a Democrat, but its important to remember, this is a man we can trust. He is a man who has proven himself time and again in whatever arena or endeavor he has chosen. And if anyone's known me, they know I don't trust many people, let alone politicians. Heck, he's the first politician I have ever donated money to. So, I'm telling you, for whatever it's worth; broke as I am, i have put my money where my mouth is.

HooWa!

Obama 2008!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EastCoastKid

thanks for your reply,

thank you for your perspective on this situation. i am glad you see the dilemma we all are facing.

I will be voting for Barack Obama.

I would not vote for McCain or Clinton under any circumstances.

well the latest rumor is Clinton and Obama will be on the same ticket so what will you do then ?

Clinton is assuming she will be the candidate and Obama would be the V.P. choice wich would supposedly help him win later on down the road.

i find it really interesting Clinton has this idea when she is not even in the lead.

even if Obama wins and Billary is the V.P.....a vote for him would be a vote for her.

Obama also has the mad political skills that Abraham Lincoln had. Similar backgrounds, also (backwoods lawyer, short term state senate career, insane trajectory).

there are some things i like about Obama but he never served in the military and doesn't seem to have the foreign policy experience that i think is crucial at this point and time. but please correct me if i am wrong.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
OK here is a view of John McCain from a real conservative.

But 1st I have a huge problem with EastCoastKid calling himself a "lifelong Republican." I have been on this forum for a while now and I have never seen you support a Republican, and you are generally first in line to bash them. If you hate Bush say so, if you stopped being a Republican in 2000 say so, but don't insult the intelligence of ATS members by saying you are a "lifelong Republican".

I challenge anyone to find a pro-Republican thread or response from EastCoastKid in the last 3 years.

Too bad this only covers the last 150 threads

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyway, this true "lifelong Republican" is having a problem with McCain not because of Iraq, he is 95% correct in his assessment of the Iraq situation. Waterboarding is the only objection I have with him in this capacity.

I have a problem with McCain in the following areas.

1. Immigration - Teaming up with Ted Kennedy to try to push amnesty for illegal aliens.
2. Bush Tax Cuts - He was against them, now that he sees how great they are working, he is for them. Should have been there in the beginning.
3. Global Warming - Yep he is falling for the lie.
4. ANWAR - Voted against drilling there. Also against drilling on 81% of our coastline.
5. Campaign Finance Reform - Huge hit against free speech.
6. The gang of 14 - Held Bush's court nominees hostage...once again showing how he loves to cozy up to Democrats.

There is alot more, but notice how quick he is to slam supporters who dare question Barack Hussein Obama and Mrs. Bill Clinton. That shows you who his true alliegence is to.

My only option for McCain at this point is to wait and see who he picks as Vice-President. It better be a strong conservative. Any pick that makes a play for moderates and independents will be the last straw.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

thank you for your perspective on this situation. i am glad you see the dilemma we all are facing.

The only dilemma I see is Obama actually beating the machine. I feel very hopeful about his and our prospects, to borrow a cliche, if he/we pull it off.

Ya gotta love it; no one in the DC establishment saw BaROCK Obama comin'. A real, living transformational candidate.

No one planned for that. On either side of the aisle. I talked about Ronald Reagan because he came along the same way at another very dark American hour. And saved the day in many ways (with alotta help).

How many people even know Reagan was a liberal democrat for years? His gift was not just that of communication; but, a real sense of when and how to change. For the good of all.

well the latest rumor is Clinton and Obama will be on the same ticket so what will you do then ?

That is nothing but a farsical rumour put out by desperate Hillaroids.

Clinton is assuming she will be the candidate and Obama would be the V.P. choice wich would supposedly help him win later on down the road.

She also assumed she'd have the nomination wrapped up by SuperTuesday.

For Obama, it would be the kiss of death; and thankfully, he has utterly disavowed that idea.

If he succumbed to such pressure and they were on a ticket together, sadly, I would NOT vote. Period. For Clinton/Obama; Obama/Clinton; or McCain.

there are some things i like about Obama but he never served in the military and doesn't seem to have the foreign policy experience that i think is crucial at this point and time. but please correct me if i am wrong.

I served. And Obama has voiced my beliefs straight down the line. Against the invasion of Iraq and against the resolution naming Iranian unit a terrorist org. He's shown the best judgement of all three. Screw their "experience." See where that's gotten us?

It's like Obama has said, and I'm paraphrasing; he hasn't been in congress long enough to get the virtue boiled out of him.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

thanks for your reply,

My only option for McCain at this point is to wait and see who he picks as Vice-President. It better be a strong conservative. Any pick that makes a play for moderates and independents will be the last straw.

i agree that his choice for V.P. is very important. maybe it will make this pill easier to swallow...lol

i am scared to even speculate who he is gonna pick but your right he really needs to go with a strong conservative since thats the platform he says he is running on.

still got a long way to go... but i hope things become clearer soon

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I too am a life long member of the GOP and I have seen it taken over by a bunch of selfserving scumbags that could care less about the American taxpayer. Most "Conservatives" I see suck up the false patriotism like pigs at the slop trough. While the Mega Corps just laugh at the chumps, and wave the flag while greasing up the pole and count their money in off shore accounts.
I had great hopes for McCain but he is just McSame.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

thanks for your reply...

you took the words right out of my mouth...

this is why i have a problem voting for McCain. he is in bed with the rest of them imho.

i really didn't see myself voting for him, but i am not left with many choices.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
OK here is a view of John McCain from a real conservative.

But 1st I have a huge problem with EastCoastKid calling himself a "lifelong Republican." I have been on this forum for a while now and I have never seen you support a Republican, and you are generally first in line to bash them. If you hate Bush say so, if you stopped being a Republican in 2000 say so, but don't insult the intelligence of ATS members by saying you are a "lifelong Republican".

I challenge anyone to find a pro-Republican thread or response from EastCoastKid in the last 3 years.

I hate to burst your bubble, relative newbie, but I publicly broke from the Bush administration's foreign policy in 2002. The Republican party has gotten so far out of whack since, it's hard to keep it all straight.

I'm sorry that you don't understand that a thinking Republican can be independent minded. Sounds like a personal problem.

I voted for Bush in 2000, to be clear; but he has done nothing since to warrant my support. And for the record, my allegience is to this country, not the Republican party.

Having said that, I am in fact a lifelong Republican.

Its like Reagan said of the Democrats: "I didn't leave the Democratic party, it left me." Flip it, 2008.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Personally, I won't vote for Hillary, Obama, or McCain.
I will be writing in Ron Paul. Of course, I understand he has no chance of winning, but at least I'll be able to look myself in the mirror for four years and know I voted my conscience.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Vote for Ron Paul, trust me.

As a backup plant if RP for some strange reason does not make it then I propose that we begin a campaign to not vote in this years election. Personally, I always said if RP does not make it I am not voting, I hope other feel the same way rather then just deciding to vote for what they feel is the lesser of the evil that is to be the new stench of the Whitehouse for at least the next four years.

An idea I had a while back was to mark the entire ballot on voting day with a circle and V in red marker so as to appear as the Vendetta logo (assuming we are using paper ballots).

As well as (or either as an alternative) writing in Ron Paul’s name as our vote. I seriously think voting for anybody else is a grave mistake. The point of my suggestion is that it is not that you are simply not voting by not showing up and not caring. You are showing up thus caring, though you are letting those that are controlling the system know at the same time that you do not care about them and that you are cognizant of the truth, you are letting them know that you are taking control of that system and placing it in the power of the people where it inherently belongs.

If enough people were to do this it would send a message so much stronger the voting for somebody that you well really do not care about.

More so this is in light of all of the voting fraud occurring, this is a way to bring awareness to that fact.

I think doing the latter option is just a cope out from a jaded mind.

As a suggestion to get the word out:

People could start doing public protests with signs for passerby's and traffic encouraging them to "Write in "Ron Paul" on Your 2008 Presidential Ballot" via signs, banners, stickers, etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I suggest those Ron Paul supporters out there do something constructive with this voting opportunity: listen to what our military members are advising: Obama or Ron Paul. (Hint: Obama's the last man standing)

Military members have given more in contributions to the campaigns of Barack Obama and Ron Paul.

Both men opposed the invasion of Iraq.

What more do you need to know?

I know Ron Paul is about a lot more stuff (I love him, too), but he's now out of the race and Obama is serious about the most important thing going right now; bringing an end to the war.

If you care about that, and you have any sense, you would vote for him. MAYBE, just MAYBE the war would end and we could get our out of control budge under control; and then we can talk about the rest of it.

You can piss away your vote if you want, but in the end, the joke's on you.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

thanks for your reply,

i understand your logic in the matter, but writing in Ron Paul or not voting at all... would be a vote for the democratic party.

if Clinton and Obama did run together...i would have to vote for McCain.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
My concern about Obama is his trustworthiness. The NAFTA snafu with Canada has me very concerned that he is saying things just to get elected, and won't follow through with them. The fact that he(or his staff) told a Canadian official not to worry about his comments concerning NAFTA, "It's just political posturing", is very disturbing.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EastCoastKid

you know there are things about Obama that i do like and it isnt totally impossible for me to vote for him... but the biggest problem i have with him is he is pro-choice and that is going against my beliefs.

if he was the Democratic choice and not running with Billary , i would consider him.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A vote for McCain or Hillary Clinton is the same NEO Conservative vote for endless war.

A vote for Obama is a vote for peace and change.

A write-in or whatever for Paul or anyone else is nothing.

Do what you can now: vote for someone who will actually get somethimg started. Or sit on your hands and contribute nothing.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This just in:
rawstory.com...

In an interview on CNN Monday morning, long-shot presidential candidate Ron Paul, whose campaign is winding to a close, says he is unlikely to support presumptive Republican nominee John McCain and he left open the possibility of mounting a third-party bid for the White House.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join