It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Social Taboo of Criticizing Radical Islam

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Question, did you even read the thread? She did not speak of muslims in their entirety. She did not even criticize muslism extremist. She simply
asked why "one"cannot or does not speak against RADICAL MUSLIM
FANATICISM. You however,appear to be a very angry peson in general.
Apparently you are looking for an argument. I suppose by making the statement regarding freaks uh.. let me guess you were referring to Christians. Aren't you glad that when you go to bed tonight you can lay your head down on your pillow and not have to worry that your tongue be cut out for speaking poorly of " All"christians? Think about it! That is the
OP's point!

Now that you have partially succeeded in derailing this thread, do you think
you are sly enough to contribute some intelligent thoughts? (On topic
of course.) I, (and I'm sure there are others like me) won't hold my breath!!

We have become a nation with screwed up priorities. We are SO politicaly
correct that we have sacrificed the integrity of our country. We have all
but abandoned our freedom of speech. Why?Because we don't want to offend anyone,hurt someones feelings That would be horrific! We would then be labled "BIG BAD AMERICA. They are just awful. Always sticking
their nose in everybodies business."

Wake up people! LOVE and appreciate what you have. This is an incredible
country! Time to realize it. Who knows, it could all be gone tomorrow.

you posted on a website?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Yeah it is almost like walking fox just proves the ops point isnt it? You criticize islam you are gonna feel the wrath lol.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Every religion should be held accountable for the actions and conduct of their leaders & adherents, whether they are mainstream or not.

Religion as a whole is bloodguilty and will one day have to answer for her sins.

It is easy to pick on Muslims today because their culture clashes so dramatically with western society, but There have been untold gallons of blood shed by so-called Christians, even in recent history.

Christendom & Islam must share in the shame religion has brought mankind. The bloody wars fought in the name of their respective God's, the tolerance of radical & extreme elements of their organizations, and the
hypocrisy of their leaders serves to condemn them all.

I have a couple hundred Muslim employees and I have found that very few of them are knowledgeable about their beliefs. If I ask them to find a a quote in the Koran, few can do so. The same holds true for most Christians today.

There is no saving any of these corrupt institutions in my view. Their days are numbered.

I will acknowledge the OP's view that criticism of Islam & its radical elements tends to be treated differently form criticism of some other mainstream religions.

It's interesting to see people come to the defense of Islam and the many cultures surrounding its believers, and show no hesitation in expending on the flaws of Christendom. My guess its that it is politically correct to do so.
One day the tide will change.

Soon though, condemnation of all religion will be the popular trend. I long for that day.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Oh Mel I am sure you know me better than that by now. There have been so many nitpickers in this thread and I hate to see someone like you (who I consider extremely intelligent) to have to resort to such a thing.

If I had a problem with Christianity being discussed I would have jumped on you before and snorted about keeping things on topic with Islam. But that is not what I did: I openly welcomed the discussion of other religions (including Christianity) into the thread if people wanted to discuss it. If the word 'ignorant' got to you, my apologies. Insert 'taboo' if it makes you feel better.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Oh Mel I am sure you know me better than that by now. There have been so many nitpickers in this thread and I hate to see someone like you (who I consider extremely intelligent) to have to resort to such a thing.

Well, I was just pointing out a very simple, but interesting, observation.

If the word 'ignorant' got to you, my apologies. Insert 'taboo' if it makes you feel better.

Heh, and you should know me better than to think I'd be bothered by the word 'ignorant'. As I said, it was just an interesting observation. It's what we call 'framing' in psychology, and the way you framed the issue was indicative of a form of bias. We all have biases, many are reflexive/automatic, we just have to do our best to note them, and act to correct them. I'm sure you never even thought about how you were framing the issue , so don't worry about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Ah, I forgot you were a psychology buff. Carry on. But don't you dare charge me $250 an hour just to tell me something I already know or ask, "How does that make you feel?"

reply to post by Sparky63

Hey Sparky. Can you expound on the comment, "Soon though, condemation of all religion will be the popular trend. I long for that day." I think I know what you are alluding to but wanted to hear your thoughts.

EVERYONE ELSE: Thank you for contributing your thoughts, observations, and examples. They are much appreciated and I did read them all.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I will acknowlege the OP's view that critisism of Islam & its radical elements tends to be treated differentyl form critisism of some other manstream religions.

It's interesting to see people come to the defense of Islam and the many cultures surrounding its believers, and show no hesitation in exponding on the flaws of Christendom. My guess its that it is politically correct to do so.
One day the tide will change.

Soon though, condemation of all religion will be the popular trend. I long for that day.

When some future Monty Python team makes a 'Life of Mohamed' movie and it plays, unedited for nudity/swearing etc., to packed houses in Riyadh and Kabul, with people rolling in the aisles with laughter at the satire in the movie, THEN we will be making progress as a species.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bovarcher

When some future Monty Python team makes a 'Life of Mohamed' movie and it plays, unedited for nudity/swearing etc., to packed houses in Riyadh and Kabul, with people rolling in the aisles with laughter at the satire in the movie, THEN we will be making progress as a species.

Haha that one cracked me up

That will be the day mate....Sounds impossibleauuu though!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bovarcher

Monty Python did attract a lot of criticism at the time of release, was banned in numerous places (8 years in Ireland), attracted pickets, gave Muggeridge and Whitehouse a fit etc etc. There was a similar low level criticism of 'the golden compass' recently, and the same happened for the 'jerry springer opera'. Luckily, few people give a fig nowadays, and common sense tends to win the day.

But I still get the point. Such a film would be unlikely to get off the drawing board in islamic countries.

Originally posted by AshleyD

Ah, I forgot you were a psychology buff. Carry on. But don't you dare charge me $250 an hour just to tell me something I already know or ask, "How does that make you feel?"

Now worries, ashley. I'm not that sort of psychologist. But five U2Us of a professional nature will cost you $250, heh.

[ABE: just in case common sense is in short supply (not aimed at you, ash) - the U2U comment was a joke....it's actually only $100]

[edit on 25-2-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

"An Islamic regime must be serious in every field," explained Ayatollah Khomeini. "There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humour in Islam. There is no fun in Islam."

Remember this is a very holy man!

Ok Mr Khomeini well there's no fun what can you do then?

“A man can have sex with animals such as sheeps, cows, camels and so on. However, he should kill the animal after he has his orgasm. He should not sell the meat to the people in his own village; however, selling the meat to the next door village should be fine.”
From Khomeini's book, "Tahrirolvasyleh"

source

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Wow, surely that's his idea of humor? 'Next town over', I like that

I seriously hope the first passage was immediately above the second one. The irony.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

No- he was completely serious in both quotes. They're from different interviews. I put them together to demonstrate how deadly serious they act --- yet their real morals are seriously twisted.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

That might be the grossest thing I have ever heard. Lets bang some sheep but we cant bang a woman we arent married to?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy

"An Islamic regime must be serious in every field," explained Ayatollah Khomeini. "There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humour in Islam. There is no fun in Islam."

Remember this is a very holy man!

Ok Mr Khomeini well there's no fun what can you do then?

“A man can have sex with animals such as sheeps, cows, camels and so on. However, he should kill the animal after he has his orgasm. He should not sell the meat to the people in his own village; however, selling the meat to the next door village should be fine.”
From Khomeini's book, "Tahrirolvasyleh"

source

Thanks for posting these very words of an angry "holy man", BigWhammy!

Now, move along....next town over!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Very nice topic for this thread, Ashley.

Thanks for being clear-headed and detailed with your sources. You certainly show enormous patience with angry posters.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Mr Khomeini was a Shia and has/had influence only in iran.Shias are just a small percentage of the Muslim population and many Sunni Muslims don't take them as Muslims because their teachings are very screwed up like you have stated about him having fun with animals.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You're one hundred percent correct. This is particularly so in Britain. People are afraid of reprisal from radical islam and also fear the tarring and feathering of Britain's new pathetically PC viewpoint on everything.

It is everyones right to free speech to disagree with (or mock if they so wish) any religion. Christianity is mocked constantly (it is fashionable in some social circles) yet radical islamics raise hell when they receive the same treatment.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benton
It is everyones right to free speech to disagree with (or mock if they so wish) any religion. Christianity is mocked constantly (it is fashionable in some social circles) yet radical islamics raise hell when they receive the same treatment.

I don't think you make the point you think you do.

Now, I really dislike islam. I dislike it more than other faiths. If there was a social taboo specifically against criticising radical islam, I'd be interested in that, and also determined to break it in my own little way.

However, no-one in this thread has actually showed that there is a social taboo. Indeed, your own post can be broken down to:

1. free speech should allow criticism (cool)
2. Christianity is mocked (cool)
3. Radical islamic raise hell when mocked (not so cool)

I don't think this makes your point. All it shows is that islamics raise hell when mocked, christians not so much.

Both can be criticised. There is no taboo. However, I'm not sure this applies so well in some islamic countries.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Ahahahaah, Khomeini as a representative of Islam? Wow!

Anyway, I am a Muslim myself with strong Muslim beliefs (I pray, fast in Ramadan etc). I think that we need to learn how to fight wars again, we were so good! but now most of us are just murderers!

Ah well, I think that people are scared of criticizing radical Islam because of the previous responses from them. I don't blame you people at all, in fact I feel sorry for you

As for Osama Bin Laden, well he is what I call a pain in the neck, with all his ramblings and non sense (Like the video were he asked America to become Muslims). Little does he know that if we are to truly let people convert to our religion it is through our TRUE Islamic influence and not RADICAL Islamic influence.....

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

Well the thread is about Radical Islam so the K Man fits the bill. The posts preceding my KMan satire were about Monty Python making fun of Christians (I laugh at it). How you can't get away with it with in Radical Islam by fear or censor. So I was sorta showing what a wealth of wonderful material they have left for the satirist, if he has the courage.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join