It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

I've posted this video before, I don't know if anyone knows how long we've been prepared.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cbtech

Yeah because no other space agency has NEVER EVER EVER made a mistake.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I read something earlier today in this thread that has been haunting me for the past few hours. It was not news about the asteroid that haunted me as much as it was a perspective about the media’s role in this event that was shared.

Think very carefully about these words.

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

I suggest the media is responding correctly for a change, by withholding the information until they can make a clear report. Otherwise the media would be creating real damage by getting people worked up, which could potentially be more damaging than the object itself even if it hit. The media creates enough damage in our world as it is already - lets not push them to do more.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

That perspective, I believe, is far more dangerous than even this asteroid might be. Although I doubt it was the author’s intent…I believe it is a perspective that is shared by far too many in the media and in our leadership of the “electorate”. Coated as this post is in supportive language it is even harder to discern the danger. This fundamental misconception of needing to protect the people from anything is haunting and indicative of why sites like ATS even HAVE to exist. I, as a former mainstream journalist, come to sites like ATS for the very reason that the news is not filtered here and that the forum approach allows those with knowledge to share and discuss information and draw conclusions without candy coating by corporate baby-sitters.

It is NOT the media’s role to filter what is or isn’t appropriate for the public to know. We guarantee freedom of the press because of a fundamental right by the people to know information often before those who possess that information feel it is “good or necessary or desirable” for us to know something. It is not the media’s role to protect us from fear. The role of protector, in and of itself, represents a conspiracy to deny information from a population for their “perceived” own good.

Conspiracy is not necessarily dark shadowy people locked in a room concocting some meticulous plan to pull one over on the people. Conspiracy is collaboration gone awry. The media’s role is not “protector” it is informant.

It is sites like ATS that now protect us with unfiltered information from those who would propose to protect us through their own agendas.

It is this misguided perception of not telling people what is going on until NASA knows for certain that there is no danger that has created a thread this long. Do not underestimate the intelligence of the populace. A better solution often comes from someone outside the box. The only difference between conspiracy and collaboration is the ethics applied to the means and the end. They are one and the same.

The information on this event is newsworthy and timely. We are being protected from this information. We are not being trusted as a population, once again, to come to our own intelligent, rationale and learned opinions through a network of peers on the importance or lack there of where this asteroid is concerned. That withholding…is conspiracy.

Please do not take this personally. I believe you meant well by your observations. I have just seen far to many times where this opinion and enactment of the “role” of the media and our leaders…leads.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I liked what you said. It could be that all our butts are bet all the time when it comes to a potential celestial intersection. Shooting gallery. I'd really like to know that this sort of event was being closely studied for future reference by people who were thinking of workable solutions. We are "due" for a hit.

Seems there could be a "bury your head in the sand thing" owing to the truth that we can't really mount an effective defense at this point anyway. There could be other reasons.

There isn't always much warning and these objects do change their paths - everything effects everything and it's all wobbly. Bummer. Also the very aspect of the problem that may be a potential solution according to some. Early detection and gravity might be a winning hand.

www.space.com...

There are other methods. Some devices proposed would make a great orbiting nuke platform... if you like that sort of thing.

If the Earth MOID is only 0.0012501AU well? Yes, there is deviation. I'd point everything I could at it precisely because it is so close, it's not small, and thankfully it will miss us... they've known it was coming back for some time... it's not getting "any" or much press maybe because it's a missed opportunity or because it was so much closer than anyone guessed and it's embarassing?

Vic

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

I think there are so many near misses that they dare not start reporting them. If this one misses hopefully people will be better prepared just in case.

Another thing I noticed was that 2007 TU24 and 2006 DU62 will come close to earth and will be at one point only approximately .0009 AU apart (based on the distance of each from earth on Feb. 9). I think the alignment of the planets plays a part although I am not that knowledgeable about the subject.

I am having a problem making sense of the velocity of each. TU24 is advancing at approx. 501,963 daily and DU62 is advancing at approx. 176,616 miles. I think they are watching to see what impact they both will have being in such a close proximity to the earth and to each other.

1 AU= 148,598,000Kilometers. To find mile multply by .62

1 AU = 149.598,550 kilometers = 92,956,229 miles (I have a calculator on my computer that will do the conversion)

Looking for changes in weather patterns I found the following:

SPACE WEATHER - 11/15/07

Something strange is happening in the atmosphere above Africa and researchers have converged on Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to discuss the phenomenon. Scientists are converging on Ethiopia this week to discuss a new and strange form of space weather: ion plumes, which form during geomagnetic storms. Remarkably, the source of these plumes may be somewhere over Africa. "The plumes appear during geomagnetic storms and they can interfere with satellite transmissions, airline navigation and radio communications." Indeed, it is their effect on GPS signals that led to the discovery of plumes over North America just a few years ago.

home.att.net...

Some more info:

Geomagnetic storms are major disturbances of the magnetosphere that occur when the interplanetary magnetic field turns southward and remains southward for an prolonged period of time. During a geomagnetic storm's main phase, which can last as long as two to two and a half days in the case of a severe storm, charged particles in the near-Earth plasma sheet are energized and injected deeper into the inner magnetosphere, producing the storm-time ring current.

pluto.space.swri.edu...

The following article explains what can occur with a G3 geomagnetic storm:

Weeklong geomagnetic storm alert issued
June 6, 2000 Web posted at: 9:32 PM EDT (0132 GMT)
WASHINGTON (CNN)

archives.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

It is because of this point that you make that it is of more concern than not. If they knew for certain that this object would just pass by, they would all talk about it, perhaps it's coincidence to the presidential primary in Florida, make some joke and talk to excited amature astronomers. But.... no. Shhhhh... not much going on.

So even "if" there was potential danger, they are keeping that information from us all.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No information is being withheld. The news cycle is currently saturated with Heath Ledger, Israel/Palestine, US primaries, economy etc etc.

One New Zealand station has ran the story just today, it's available here -

tvnz.co.nz...

I'm guessing in another few days when the other stuff settles somewhat, news outlets will add it to their cycle. Heck, even the odd looking rock formation on Mars has got a mention, it won't be long until this makes it as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
anyone know what happens when two magnets get close to each other?

the asteroid is most likely made of metal that has a magnetic field around it. (If it were not metal, then we would see an ice trail, like in a comet) It it is rotating, then it is basically a rotating magnet. It will come in contact with 2 slower rotating magnets (earth and the moon). No object can have a single magnet charge, it is always bipolar, with a positive and a negative charge.

Now if the positive field of TU84 interacts with the positive charge of earth or the moon, then they will react and it will send TU84 spinning off in another direction. This is NASA's hopeful scenario that is posted on the official website, and that is why the distance increases so much after passing by earth.

Now for the worst case scenario, the negative and positive fields of these objects intersect, pulling TU84 into the earths magnetosphere. Then gravity will finish the job. TU84 would be hurled into the earth or moon at unprecedented speeds.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by elusivetruth]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Explain again just exactly how do you, or NASA, cover up an asteroid hitting Earth. I think someone would see it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
I looked again at the Earth MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersect Distance). and still found it to be .0012501AU. An AU is apx 150,000,000 Kilometers. So I did the math: 150,000,000 X .0012501 = 187585 Kilometers
That is 187,585 Klm at it's closest approach to Earth as it intersects with our orbit. The moon is 384,000 Klm from the Earth.

This is a LOT closer than the 500,000 kms MOID I last saw iirc. What I'd like to know is if MOID is our orbit PATH or Earth's actual LOCATION on that path, as the 2 are quite different things.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

And yet, this saturated news media found the space, numerous times, to comment on the asteroid that won't hit Mars only one day after 2007 TU24 is expected to make a "near pass" to earth. How do you reconcile that news priority/blackout choice? It does not add up.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Algonquin
Explain again just exactly how do you, or NASA, cover up an asteroid hitting Earth. I think someone would see it.

No all the other observatories and astrnomers in the world are under Nasa's secret mind control thingie heh

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
I looked again at the Earth MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersect Distance). and still found it to be .0012501AU. An AU is apx 150,000,000 Kilometers. So I did the math: 150,000,000 X .0012501 = 187585 Kilometers
That is 187,585 Klm at it's closest approach to Earth as it intersects with our orbit. The moon is 384,000 Klm from the Earth.

This is a LOT closer than the 500,000 kms MOID I last saw iirc. What I'd like to know is if MOID is our orbit PATH or Earth's actual LOCATION on that path, as the 2 are quite different things.

MOID is the point where the asteroid passes across the orbital path of Earth at it's closest approach to earth. Another asteriod could cross the orbital path 4 AU away from the earth so it's MOID would be 4 UA.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Their have been asteroids over the years that have made the media saying it would be a close pass but not hit us.

It was not big news. So if Nasa is lying cover up etc etc and they also control the media could they not tell the media to inform the public this is another close pass asteroid like those in the past and like those it to will not threaten us?

Its really no biggy

[edit on 23-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

The Mars WD5 asteroid made news just after the new year clicked over, mostly. World markets were quiet. No primaries. Heath Ledger was flying in his jet or whatever. It was after xmas, and everyone had slow news days.

Fact is, New Zealand news desks have picked it up. They're a day ahead of the 'States. I haven't heard anything yet on Australian news, yet, where I live.

An asteroid the size of TU24 impacts Earth, on average, every 37, 000 years. However, this TU24 panic is the same reason people think something in 2012 is going to happen - it is in a short time span. It makes them feel good about themselves in some way or another that they're going to see the world end, that they're so privileged to be the last of their kind alive. Obviously, this is a delusion.

The average human life span, if we're lucky, is 80 at best. Whether you like it or not, the world is going to see us end.

Now, if you could kindly provide me a reason why there is this supposed media black out, given that the data is freely available and that already one major news agency has picked it up, I'm all ears.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Bravo. Well said my friend.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

So I did the math: 150,000,000 (AU) X .0012501 (MOID) = 187585 Kilometers
MOID is the point where the asteroid passes across the orbital path of Earth at it's closest approach to earth. Another asteriod could cross the orbital path 4 AU away from the earth so it's MOID would be 4 UA.

Ouch. Thanks for that clarification.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Now they even have an image up over at NASA's radar site.

Cover up?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
hah good find Matt wonder what off the wall story they will use to dispute that

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
how do the images imply a cover up to you? i'm curious...

by the way i'm not saying i don't believe there is a cover up i'm just curious about what you think of these images..

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join