It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Although this may be considered premature.....

Nanny nanny boo boo

You may repeat that as many times as you need to on Jan 30 until you feel properly silly for believing this nonsense.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Remember there was a huge 'crash' in the stock market the past few days. However, today the market bounced back up pretty well; not great though.

I think its quite possible the two events are linked in some way, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

There's been a lot of talk of war recently as well.

Something big is up, and I don't know if this is THE event, but we're getting close for sure.

I agree with you too...i got the same feeling.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Nothing is going to happen. This asteroid will not come in contact with Earth. And just in case something does..........see ya in the afterlife!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The events in the stock market have nothing to do with TU24. That is quite the stretch!

(Unless TU24 is responsible for the sub prime mess)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
whoa, stock market related to TU24? I don't think sooooo...

that's somewhat weird, no offfense intended.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
wtf! stupid double posting...

sorry about that lol

[edit on 23-1-2008 by spidy]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
Hildar yep you got it right! All these observatories and astronomers claiming TU24 is not gonna hit are Idiots!
Did they get their degrees from Walmart!?

Their have been numerous links or even emails in this thread from LEGIT REAL astronomers/observatories saying this thing will not hit . Yet you people insist to think it will.

If you believe everyone is in on a conspiracy from Nasa to major observatories to your backyard astronomer i suggest you take a trip to the Dr Phil show..
[edit on 23-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

I wasn't aware from the flood of information about this asteroid that so many astronomers were tracking and collaborating together. Or, are you referring to BadAstronomy.com? Well if that guy says so, then it must be true.

I feel so much better now that you also pointed out that NASA said we are all completely safe and shouldn't care about it.

I'm sure the crew members of Columbia felt the same way when they were told not to worry about that pesky little piece of foam.

Details, details.

Heres a little reminder of your GLORIOUS NASA program's illustrious track record.

Hmm, wonder what that asteroid would look like when its entering our atmosphere?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
This thread is getting more and more ridiculous and unanswerable.

Thanks for the info, tho, think I'll not hunker down, either, unless some new trajectory is announced (very shortly) which has it veering towards earth.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cbtech

So true so very true, and then you have the poor Monkeys that we sent into space years ago. And promised them bananas when they come back only to see them go BOOM. Yep we are so trusting of NASA.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cbtech

Whoa, did anyone else feel that sting?
Even if NASA is telling the truth this time, I still wouldn't trust them in the long run. I feel like they would cover up anything serious. I think that they did quiet down a bit initially with this asteroid and then when they double checked their calculations and came to realize that everything would be ok, they set back and relaxed a bit.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by leira7]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I could care less about the thing hitting the earth. Not enough size, not guaranteed to kill me.

My larger concern would be, 'Where did these two asteroids flying by us and mars just 'arrive' from? This could just be a head fake. We need to be looking 'behind' these things also.

A secondary concern for me would be a moon strike raining crap down on us for awhile.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone think NASA would have their ass on the line here? If they 'covered up' any danger, and TU24 went on to hit a bus load of nuns, I'd imagine we wouldn't hear of NASA continuing in any capacity as an agency.

It's not just NASA saying it isn't going to hit, it's everyone with a telescope and radar large enough to spot it. People are entitled to their own opinions, but mine is it's not going to hit.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Tu24 is a confirmed asteroid discovered in 2007. The asteroid belt is so dense, it is hard to know whats going where. I wouldnt worry about the moon raining stuff down on you. If it is shattered to pieces by a clestial object, the pieces would probably end up in orbit around earth or vaporise....i hope

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I went to this site of JPL "small body data browser"

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

I looked again at the Earth MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersect Distance). and still found it to be .0012501AU. An AU is apx 150,000,000 Kilometers. So I did the math:

150,000,000 X .0012501 = 187585 Kilometers

That is 187,585 Klm at it's closest approach to Earth as it intersects with our orbit.

The moon is 384,000 Klm from the Earth.

So, if the asteroid is to pass at 1.4 LD (Lunar Distance) why is it shown to be a lot closer.

And also, the way it is coming in is (if you could imagine) is as if you are in a three lane highway in the far left lane. A trailer hauling Iron is in the center lane and you are going 51 Klm per hour and the trailer is doing 50 Klm per hour and you are passing from the far left lane to the far right lane, and suddenly you get caught in the attraction vacume of the trailer truck. So an asteroid not moving much faster than the Earth coming in behind the Earth could allow for the gravity well of the earth to take hold of it and suck in.

And lastly, I don't believe anything from Nasa.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I am thinking that may be a concern if it does hit the moon. Of course though NASA is right we dont have to worry.

On the other hand if something bad did happen or does happen we can walk a few hundred miles and maybe kick skeptic butt.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickinVa
Although this may be considered premature.....

Nanny nanny boo boo

You may repeat that as many times as you need to on Jan 30 until you feel properly silly for believing this nonsense.

Genius. Absolute unadulterated genius!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
I could care less about the thing hitting the earth. Not enough size, not guaranteed to kill me.

My larger concern would be, 'Where did these two asteroids flying by us and mars just 'arrive' from? This could just be a head fake. We need to be looking 'behind' these things also.

A secondary concern for me would be a moon strike raining crap down on us for awhile.

I think NASA said we arent going to have another close encounter for another 20 years... I dont know how comforting that is since we didnt know about this one until last year... but who knows

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Space is mostly a vacuum. There's no 'suck' effect like with a truck, and it would be traveling too fast and too far away to be captured by gravity. I don't believe everything that comes out of NASA either, but it is not just NASA telling everyone who asks that it is not going to hit.

I haven't seen any one give conclusive solid evidence that is going to hit, and I won't believe it is going to hit until I bloody well see it hurtling in my direction.

Oh, and my ass is freely available for a public kicking if something happens. I'm betting my ass!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

cbtech

I wasn't aware from the flood of information about this asteroid that so many astronomers were tracking and collaborating together. Or, are you referring to BadAstronomy.com? Well if that guy says so, then it must be true.

I feel so much better now that you also pointed out that NASA said we are all completely safe and shouldn't care about it.

I'm sure the crew members of Columbia felt the same way when they were told not to worry about that pesky little piece of foam.

Did you not read this whole thread? Their were a few references from other people BESIDES NASA AND BADASTRONOMY THAT SAID IT WOULD NOT HIT!.

Im not gonna dig through the thread and show you them all, they are there if you were to lazy to find them thats on you.

IF you are gonna believe some video from GLP that contains provable errors which Badastronomy pointed out i think you will just about believe anything. aka Bush is a reptilian.

Anyways ill make sure to bump the thread for a good laugh Feb 1st.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
reply to post by Fromabove

Space is mostly a vacuum. There's no 'suck' effect like with a truck, and it would be traveling too fast and too far away to be captured by gravity. I don't believe everything that comes out of NASA either, but it is not just NASA telling everyone who asks that it is not going to hit.

I haven't seen any one give conclusive solid evidence that is going to hit, and I won't believe it is going to hit until I bloody well see it hurtling in my direction.

Oh, and my ass is freely available for a public kicking if something happens. I'm betting my ass!

That's why I said it would be "like" and "imagine". According to Albert Einstein, in space vacume gravity is reletive to the mass of a body and all bodies large and small have an attractive force. There is no wind or any resistance in space except for velocity, if that velocity is greater than the attractive force. So an asteroid coming in behind us at the angle that is shown, and coming near a body as large as the Earth, can be overcome by the attraction force from both bodies. A small asteroid in December 2004 shot by the earth at apx 36,000 miles in a path that was from the side crossing over. It's path was altered and it sped off in another direction as the earth attempted to capture it. The one coming in, is "like moving across the highway lanes as both it and the Earth go in nearly the same direction as it come to within 187,585 Klms of the Earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join