It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
According to the much acclaimed ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... amongst us ATS'ers- 29 Januray will see TU24 at its closest to earth (0.0045 AU). Will someone put this in relatively accurate simple terms for me please? km perhaps.... Forgive me, these units don't mean much to a 16 year old kid. I'm trying to get a clear perspective of this and assess the risk, if indeed there is one.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaauroraaaaa

I've been researching further... The 1908 Tungkatstata(sp lol) explosion was caused by a the first nuclear bomb according to george green? (had a really good coast to coast AM interview available on Youtube). Interesting nonetheless.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]

I heard the same about the tungska explosion. Scientist were able to find a point of origin or ground zero have you, but what was peculiar is that there was no visible crater. Some believe it was because there were marshlands around and whatever hit, must have sunk into the water, which is possible. But for people who believe it was a nuclear bomb, they support their claim by stating that at the located origin of impact, trees within the very center remained standing while all peripheral trees where knocked down by some sort of shockwave. The only instance where this occurs is with a nuclear weapon. If it was an asteroid or comet, then there would be a crater and the trees would have been demolished.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It would seem a very similar asteroid in size and distance passed us in 2002 and we didnt even notice until literally weeks before its pass that it was headed our way. I think the numbers match up quite similar (I may be wrong) but if they do hopefully this new asteroid will have little impact as the 2002 one. See Link

neat.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by testing
(0.0045 AU). Will someone put this in relatively accurate simple terms for me please? km perhaps....

AU (Astronomical Unit) is 149,597,871 km (The distance from Earth to the Sun).

This puts it at about 673,190 KM.

You can check my math...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiverz

I personally take the 1.4 lunar distance to face value because it would be hard fabricate such a distance. Independent observatories, not under NASA's guard, have the same predicted distance. They would have to be coaxed to lie about a scientific fact when it would go against their very reason for existence.

Observations haven't just taken place in the US, either, so locale doesn't play in as being a factor at all, they've also taken place in Italy and Australia, for instance.

I think this TU24 saga has been blown way out of proportion, I'm all for finding the 'truth', but sometimes it's just easy to find when you can cut through the scare mongering BS.

The distance in simple terms and obviously not to scale:

People have bought up their dreams and statistics about the amount of bottled water being bought throughout the thread.

I'm putting my foot down and saying there's no damn freakin' conspiracy.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by testing

0.0045 Astronomical Units = 673 191 kilometers (per google)

or to us Americans

0.0045 Astronomical Units = 418 301.494 miles

For comparison:

The Moon is roughly 238,856 miles (384 401.47 kilometers) away from the Earth. So this asteroid will be roughly 1.75 times the distance from the Earth to the moon. Or 3/4 of a "moon orbitital distance" out from the moon.

-xmad

[edit on 23-1-2008 by xmaddness]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think that some of us want this to happen.
I must say I am guilty at times, for wishing that catastrophic events would come about shattering modern civilization as we know it. I think it's natural. When you live in a society were you feel powerless, the idea of something drastic happening lends the possibility of change. I am sure that most of us wouldn't conspire, or secretly wish for these things if everyone in the world was content and we all lived in peace.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Why are people so concerned about this asteroid? NASA got everything under control, you have the smartest people in the planet with all kinds of plans and gizmo's to save the day.
Besides NASA has Bruce Willis and his drilling team on stand by to drill 800 meters into the core and plant a 5 Megaton Yield Atomic bomb and split it in half.

Relax guys, you get your self a cold one and watch the fireworks.
NASA is on top of it like White on Rice.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-1-2008 by magestyk7]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Seriously people, if the asteroid was going to impact Earth, what can you REALLY DO about it anyway. Would you really want to survive destruction anyway. Most people wouldn't know what to do.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Truthfully I dont hold a candle to what comes out of NASA especially figuring there little mars rover keeps getting cleaned by God only knows what on mars. Yet there is no life on Mars?

As for TU24 the evidence is there in Black and white that they dont know what the freak they are talking about.

#1 they say they just found TU24 in 2007 that is why it is called 2007 TU24.

#2 they prove to us this asteroid was seen before back in the 1890s or 1870's I am not looking that one up again.

#3 there was an asteroid this same one discovered in 2005

Now if they cant remember exactly as to when they saw this thing first then how in the HELL am I suppose to believe this asteroid loses .004 daily until the 29th then loses .0003 just to speed back to going away faster the next day. Yep NASA really freaks up yet we are suppose to believe every darn thing they say.

Then we have the fact they cant tell the difference between a rock formation and bigfoot. Or they run over some cute little bunny on mars and say oops were sorry. I know some idiots with more brains then the people that work at NASA.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaauroraaaaa

For the most part the consensus is that if TU24 has a negative charge, it will cause plasma discharge with earth and a bunch of weird gravity things.

I wouldn't say there is a "consensus" but a few people have been saying it, yeah.

Doesn't look like it's taken any drastic leaps or anything since I looked at the thread yesterday. Still fairly unconcerned.

[edit on 1/23/08 by Malynn]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
To be honest i want this to happen, i want this to hit the planet but not kill anyone just impact the planet, this will wake most people up from their materialistic driven life and put some meaning and true life focus into them..It'll make them realise that their money hungary lives was only a learning lesson and now their true meaning is about to happen.. If this happens i feel we as a species will become more closer and bonded, we will become more unified.. which is what needs to happen if we as a species want to represent humanity into space and beyond..i think good and evil will join together as one...

If this hits earth or doesn't the best we can do is prepare... we can't prevent these events (yet)..I suggest in preparation just in case by stocking up on food, water, living essentials here is a survival checklist to help you just in case..you never know what will happen but at least your been prepared the best you can do for you and your family..

SURVIVAL CHECKLIST:

Food and water for at least 3 days

Ø Water: minimum 3 litres per person per day

Ø Water containers

Ø Emergency food supply

Ø Food for babies

Ø Food for pets/animals

Ø Can opener

Ø Cooking facility (Stove and appropriate fuel)

Ø Water purification tablets

Survival equipment

Ø First aid kit

Ø Emergency survival blanket or bag

Ø Poncho (emergency waterproof clothing)

Ø Plastic rubbish / sanitary sacks

Ø Rope or line (general purpose)

Ø Torch (Batteries if not dynamo)

Ø Whistle

Ø Compass

Ø Candles

Ø Matches (waterproof) / lighter

Ø Light sticks

Ø Leather gloves

Ø Toilet paper

Ø Multi-tool / knife

Ø Radio (batteries if not dynamo)

Ø Dust/Radiation masks

Ø Dust/Radiation Suits

Ø Paper and pencil

Ø Shelter / tent

Ø Groundsheet

Ø Sun cream

Ø Insect repellent

Ø Tissues and/or wipes

Ø Spare prescription glasses

Extra clothing

Ø Wet weather/waterproof gear

Ø Warm clothing

Ø Sleeping bags

Ø Strong outdoor shoes

First Aid Equipment

Ø Medical gloves

Ø Triangular bandages

Ø Plasters

Ø Tape

Ø Eye pads

Ø Sterile dressings

Ø Sterile wipes/swabs

Ø Sterile irrigation solution

Ø Resuscitation aid

Ø Safety pins

Ø Crepe bandages, selection

Ø Scissors

Ø Tweezers

Ø Pencil and paper

Ø Personal hygiene items (tampons, nappies, wipes etc)

Ø Personal medical items such as pain killers

Ø Personal prescription drugs

Important documents and paperwork

Ø Emergency Services contact details

Ø Personal family contact details (family, friends, schools, work etc)

Ø Family Plan – description of what you plan to do and who you plan to contact and where you plan to meet)

Ø Personal medical information – lists of any medication, who it is for and how it should be administered

Ø Emergency shutdown procedures for your property, e.g. gas, electricity, water etc

Ø Contents checklist of your survival kit

Ø Other personal items such as spare cash, banking information

Hope this helps some people...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hildar yep you got it right! All these observatories and astronomers claiming TU24 is not gonna hit are Idiots!
Did they get their degrees from Walmart!?

Their have been numerous links or even emails in this thread from LEGIT REAL astronomers/observatories saying this thing will not hit . Yet you people insist to think it will.

If you believe everyone is in on a conspiracy from Nasa to major observatories to your backyard astronomer i suggest you take a trip to the Dr Phil show..

[edit on 23-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
To seriously answer your question I'm guessing it will be something like this if some survive including Mel.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
we are in so much trouble. they say its a 50/50 chance that it will hit earth.im only a 24 year old college student, and i say spend the next upcoming days doing wat u love

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
1 AU= 148,598,000Kilometers. To find mile multply by .62..... Lunar distance is approx.250, miles. (from earth)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
yeah but...
you know, if it does hit earth then it will, most definately, kill a lot of people...

but people would certainly wake up, it's quite a wake up call really...

(reply to free_spirit_earth)

[edit on 23-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I think this TU24 saga has been blown way out of proportion, I'm all for finding the 'truth', but sometimes it's just easy to find when you can cut through the scare mongering BS. (SNIP)
I'm putting my foot down and saying there's no damn freakin' conspiracy

Very well put.
Saved me so many words...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm going to keep saying this as new people come across this thread...

It - is - not - going - to - hit. These things come around every few years and this one has been turned into conspiracy fodder. Our planet is extremely resilient, it eats stuff like this for breakfast. It's looking at this little rock and saying 'pfft, whatever...'.

The planet's biggest threat is us.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
What if the recent fall in the stock market might have something to do with the coming asteriod? Sorry if this has already been discussed before

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join