It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 40
130
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieisinlove
 


It was not the OPs message. He just presented it for our discernment. The OP has not manipulated or mislead anyone, just brought an important fact to those interested... Are 'you' a journalist?




posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   



Seriously, this wasn't like a cutting edge story, like Heath Ledger's death, where every journalist got on their laptops and feverishly typed the headlines. In those cases, I understand typos. This is just plain probably-hasn't-even-gotten-his-GED type stuff. That makes me unsure of the validity in itself.


If you're referring to the "there" thing, I must say I envy your blissful ignorance of the current state of spelling...
Just a few days ago, I saw the word "definately" in a report posted by a major broadcasting corporation.

(And BTW, in case you find any errors in my post: feel free to correct me - English is not my first or second language, so I am always grateful for advice - but I hope you don't question my "validity".
)



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolutionEvil
 


Star for your post. I was feeling a lot of empathy yesterday when I saw so many people afraid. I'm glad to see that current posts are coming around to a more positive, and IMO realistic view of the likely effects. As far as a charged asteroid triggering some kind of plasma discharge or EMP, I don't know if there's been any record of a charged asteroid, but if something so small could do that, I don't think the magnetosphere could be as successful as it has been for billions of years protecting us from the charged solar wind. JMHO, of course.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieisinlove
 

Fair comment... There certainly seems to be a large number of apparently English-language-educated people who apparently do not know the differences between "there", "their" and "they're" and seem to use them interchangeably as if doing so were of no consequence whatsoever. However, I have long since learned that we should not judge people's credibility solely upon the basis of their literacy or lack of it. In this case, the fact remains that the asteroid exists and its possible effects upon us are a matter of concern for some members, so it is fair and reasonable to continue the discussion on that basis. At the very least we may learn a few things of use, NASA's concerns or otherwise notwithstanding.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm just popping back in... last time I think i replied what like page 20 lol.

SOOO...

It is clear TU24 won't hit earth from what NASA is telling us.

For the most part the consensus is that if TU24 has a negative charge, it will cause plasma discharge with earth and a bunch of weird gravity things.

But how far out does out magnetosphere go behind us, and out to the sides of us. As is, if our Magnetosphere goes out 30-50,000KM in front of the earth, and 100,000KM+?guess on either side, and 4-6,000,000KM in the rear, when will TU24 get into the magnetosphere? What if the sides of the magnetosphere extend 1,000,000KM on either "side" in a 2d plane of the earth? How far exactly does it extend? Could it effect us as early as the Tomorrow?

I've been researching further... The 1908 Tungkatstata(sp lol) explosion was caused by a the first nuclear bomb according to george green? (had a really good coast to coast AM interview available on Youtube). Interesting nonetheless.





[edit on 23-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaauroraaaaa
 

Well NASA would certainly like us to believe that the asteroid won't hit us. I'd also like to believe that. It seems a reasonable point of view. However, if it doesn't hit us or at least graze the atmosphere then my opinion (for what it's worth after far too much reading lately) is that it will have absolutely no effect on us at all. There is no real evidence of any negatively-charged asteroid causing us harm just by flying past tens of thousands of kilometres away. If a big lump of rock gets down low in the atmosphere you get "plasma" effects (like Tunguska) but otherwise they just go on their way.

Beats me how anyone can claim Tunguska was caused by a nuclear bomb. Sure, it went off with the force of a nuclear device but it wasn't man-made, according to all the research. Did this person who claimed it was the "first nuclear bomb" explain how it was sent into the upper atmosphere so it could then come down again travelling at several times the speed of sound? They didn't have liquid-fuelled rockets in 1908, either. (Remember Dr Goddard?)



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Antar,

I talked with a friend who owns a Water Company Business and he has been picking up new customers about 3 per day. He hauls the 5 gallon jugs and cases of bottled water.



Sorry about the roadrunner.
He alway's wants to get, into the pictures!


I just seen Jack for the first time in months too. He's a Big Jackrabbit
in these parts. Jack is usually pretty skiddish, but this time was out
during the day.

I was surpised that George Noory didn't say anything about TU24 on C2C last night either. Lots of military activity here, but I think Red Flag is still going on.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike
 


Two things can happen, if the "roid" hits mars will it spew debris into earth orbit, or will a near miss alter the "roids" orbit into earths path.......



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
reply to post by JustMike
 


Two things can happen, if the "roid" hits mars will it spew debris into earth orbit, or will a near miss alter the "roids" orbit into earths path.......



they are different asteroids. My goodness.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime
 

Isn't the asteroid that has a slim chance of hitting Mars a very different one from TU24? And even if a small asteroid hits Mars, by what tricks of physics do you have it spewing ejecta out into space -- and in lumps large enough that they would even be noticed as more than "shooting stars" if by some chance at some future date any of them happened to intersect Earth's orbit? Mars has a fair amount of gravity; even TU24 at about 400 metres or so in size wouldn't send ejecta of any discernible size into space -- and what are you trying to do except scare-monger with statements that are frankly complete nonsense?


[edit on 23-1-2008 by JustMike]



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thanks all for the interesting thoughts about this subject & all your personal stories & emotions.

This has been an interesting thread from multiple angles. Obviously we need to have a better way of getting real information in the future, so we can prepare or ignore these events with as little disruption to our lives as possible. I think this is being addressed by the infusion of money going into these NEO projects by both private & government funding.

The problem we have is we are in a sort of no man's land for a short period of time. There is enough information to frighten us as these events come up because we have knowledge to know they exist, but there's not enough credible or believable information (apparently) to assure us that were not in any real danger.

For the next few days for some it will be like waiting for the results of an AID's test, paternity test etc. So, it makes one a little uncomfortable until the results are available or the threat has passed. Just hang on your going to be alright no matter what occurs.

I believe the original article in which the OP's post was based upon was intentionally seeded in order to create controversy. We must look at the methods used and try to be more aware of the intent of those who planted the seed and in the future recognize them before they do damage. If people are worrying unnecessarily then some damage has already occurred. Though we have to allow the free flow of thoughts to remain free, we must learn to recognize whether or not those thoughts have a hidden or destructive agenda.

I suggest the media is responding correctly for a change, by withholding the information until they can make a clear report. Otherwise the media would be creating real damage by getting people worked up, which could potentially be more damaging than the object itself even if it hit. The media creates enough damage in our world as it is already - lets not push them to do more.

By now it should be clear to everyone that most of us are going to be okay next month. So, relax and enjoy our beautiful world. Peace out




[edit on 23-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A near miss or a head on collision, only remember one thing...if you see a cat on a dogs back with a mouse hanging on its tail making a run for it YOU FRIGGING GO IN THE SAME DIRECTION.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well, cross you fingers (that they even tell us anymore...or at least update the numbers on NASAs website by tomorrow) because according to their tracking schedules, Goldman Radio Observatory in California should be coming online in the next 15 minutes and tracking TU24 for 4hr 45min until 7:40pm tonight. Let's hope they get some definitive information, we are at T minus 6 and counting!!



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't think this asteroid would be such a worry if the media would begin to report it, and nasa could update it pages. Also, have you noticed that they keep increasing the size of this rock. What is it now almost 650 meters now. Another thing I might add, I understand it will approach within 1,700 miles of the moon when it comes in, can anyone out there confirm this? I'm not solid on that estimate.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by Fromabove]



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
A near miss or a head on collision, only remember one thing...if you see a cat on a dogs back with a mouse hanging on its tail making a run for it YOU FRIGGING GO IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

Now that is the best advice I have heard in a lonnng while!
I will definitely keep an eye open for cats on dogs' backs, mice attached or not!

Do you remember before the tsunami that animals were headed for the hills (even elephants with passengers on board), while "clever" people were down at the beach wondering where all the water had gone? Sheesh!

I shall seriously be keeping an eye on our friendly pigeons here. When they clear off and hide we know a storm (or something bad) is coming. They are never wrong...



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove
 

No, I haven't heard anything about the 1700 miles estimate. Any idea where you heard that? Maybe we can either find some backup info or dismiss it as more hype by people with no real data at all. I understood that there was even less chance of it hitting the moon than hitting us (and that's also very low odds to zero depending where you read).



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
We're going with what we know for now - 1.4 lunar distances out. Until we get better information, that's how far it will be, and I don't expect it to come any closer.



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Thanks all for the interesting thoughts about this subject & all your personal stories & emotions.

This has been an interesting thread from multiple angles. Obviously we need to have a better way of getting real information in the future, so we can prepare or ignore these events with as little disruption to our lives as possible. I think this is being addressed by the infusion of money going into these NEO projects by both private & government funding.

The problem we have is we are in a sort of no man's land for a short period of time. There is enough information to frighten us as these events come up because we have knowledge to know they exist, but there's not enough credible or believable information (apparently) to assure us that were not in any real danger.

For the next few days for some it will be like waiting for the results of an AID's test, paternity test etc. So, it makes one a little uncomfortable until the results are available or the threat has passed. Just hang on your going to be alright no matter what occurs.

I believe the original article in which the OP's post was based upon was intentionally seeded in order to create controversy. We must look at the methods used and try to be more aware of the intent of those who planted the seed and in the future recognize them before they do damage. If people are worrying unnecessarily then some damage has already occurred. Though we have to allow the free flow of thoughts to remain free, we must learn to recognize whether or not those thoughts have a hidden or destructive agenda.

I suggest the media is responding correctly for a change, by withholding the information until they can make a clear report. Otherwise the media would be creating real damage by getting people worked up, which could potentially be more damaging than the object itself even if it hit. The media creates enough damage in our world as it is already - lets not push them to do more.

By now it should be clear to everyone that most of us are going to be okay next month. So, relax and enjoy our beautiful world. Peace out




[edit on 23-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]


This is well said and, by me for one, well taken.


[edit on 23-1-2008 by Yknot]



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
(*) NEO/Dys

Emoid = .00099au / or / 148,101km
Predicted body2body distance = .0037 au / or / 553,512km

(**) Nasa/JPL

Emoid = .00125au / or / 186,997km
Predicted body2body distance = .0038 au / or / 568,471km

So when the closest point between the two orbits is moved 38,389km closer together, the distance predicted between the two tracking bodies drops by 14,959km near that point.

IMO this is all about data and less about conspiracy. Hopefully we can get more of the former.



(*) newton.dm.unipi.it...:2007TU24;main

(**)ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...



posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Regardless of what's being said I think this thread could use a little perspective.

I find it highly amusing that some of the people who are claiming all sorts of government conspiracies in other areas on this site are the same people that are taking government statistics at face value. I mean what if it's really .2 LD away and they are just telling us it's 1.4? I don't believe that but you see what I'm getting at. Also for those who are gonna say that there's independent research ... what does that really say about researchers' ability to predict these things if something as simple as a different locale in the U.S. gives you a significantly different path/distance/size? Seems it's not exactly a perfect science.

As far as the plasma thing, I really do not see how there would be ANY plasma discharge if it did not run into actual (much larger) particles of our atmosphere ... although I have to admit I don't know as much about the magnetosphere as others may.

My opinion ... real asteroid, no one knows for certain even at this point where it's gonna end up, and more than likely it's not gonna affect us one bit.



new topics

top topics



 
130
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

log in

join