It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hollywoodbaby
I have personally contacted the schiapparelli observatory here in Italy and they have told me that there is absolutely no worries about this asteroid....

nooooos they are in on the conspiracy. Come Feb 1st i think quite a few of you will feel foolish.

Hey endtime scenarios scare me so do asteroids. I try to keep track of this type of stuff. But i in no way feel this one is a threat.

Think about it,, there would be some kind of military activity happening now and preparing if the Gov knew this was gonna hit. They could always use a BS excuse for that too. Use a lil common sense

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hollywoodbaby
I have personally contacted the schiapparelli observatory here in Italy and they have told me that there is absolutely no worries about this asteroid....

Ive been reading this thread from the beginning. To me it seems that all of your concerns are valid. That is, all but the "Mother Ship" theories, lol. OBVIOUSLY if a mother ship was making its way to earth it would not be traveling at a snails pace, relatively speaking.

All kidding around aside;

Your concerns are valid none the less. I see significant lapses in data from NASA, therefore I will not presume to know SQUAT about what this thing is going to do. With all the unknown variables involved with something like this, I wont believe anything ANYONE says until its gone on its merry way.

Thats just the way it is.

And just because we have near earth objects "so frequently" does not make this one any less of a potential danger. Variables are changing by the nanosecond.

Lastly, Other than earths ionosphere, magnetosphere, overall gravity, and other UNKNOWN factors, (contrary to what you may believe, scientists do not know everything about earth and space) I would NOT be surprised if it did smack earth in the ass due to its physical makeup.

Case in point; Our moon. Our moon is locked into earths gravitational constraints. What makes you so sure something "supposedly" consisting of more magnetic material (by volume) thats speed is questionable, and is substantially smaller, wont get pulled in any other direction, ESPECIALLY considering its given trajectory and overall vicinity?

Put that in your pipes and smoke it!

Just a thought.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by cbtech]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
No news media is reporting on this close approach... and that's enough for me. BTW, I can't seem to pull up the animated path of this rock, I was wondering if it was my own computer or did they shut that down too..?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
just to add, and it might sound silly, but the media not covering this topic, or any like it in the future is understandable and to be expected.
Remember the film Armageddon?
No one was allowed to talk about the asteroid, and the media was not supposed to find out due to mass panic.
However, the media did find out the last day when the astronauts were sent up into space.
So, perhaps we won;t hear anything until the last day.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Even Jeff Rense is not covering this issue.His site reports all kinds of bull about everything conspiracy related. thats not a good sign imo.I am amazed at the media blackout all spectrums. So far not a peep from any of the main guys.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is all a bit scary!!!
What's the latest?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
ok, I'm starting to get a little worried.
I was watching a movie on Turner Classic Movies and all of a sudden the screen went black and The Emergency Broadcast System came on.
There were white letters and the whole screen was black.
I've never seen one like this.
The oddest part of this . It said this is a test from 10:20 am to 11:47 am.
It has never lasted this long.
It said this would include the entire state of Florida.
Has anyone else had one of these this morning?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Magica, maybe a glitch?

I havent seen anything up here. Of course, George Noory said NOTHING about this subject last night, the callers did NOT mention anything (God i was hoping one of us would call and ask, i didnt have the guts) so i listened to a silly show which did not interest me at all for nothing. I dont like that man (George) He should go.

Art Bell would have been all over this story!

BIGGIE: You do make a point, a very good one. What a beautiful thing to be able to start out fresh withno bills and no worries? But that comes with such a terrible and frightning price, i am sure most of us would opt out of it. Good point, though.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
ncuncfan2006,

there's no chance there would be military action if they knew the rock would hit us. do you think they care about us? they would do nothing, they'd just hide away somewhere safe and let people die. and that's far more convienient for them. that's exactly what they'd do.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ok, I got a response from Dr. Ostro. In a nutshell, he is either trying to play down the situation -or- he really isn't worried about the passing of TU24. He mentions (with a hint of sarcasm) that JPL/NASA's radar tracking methods are very precise and that plasma discharge is 'no biggie'.

Dear L Brent Reynolds,

Answers to some of your questions are at

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

The object will pass about 1.4 Earth-Moon distances from Earth next week.

Our radar observations, which you already know about from

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

should dramatically refine the orbit (letting us predict close planetary approaches for at least a century and perhaps much more) and discover the physical dimension of the asteroid (size, shape, rotation, surface structural complexity and bulk density, and whether it is a solitary object or a binary system).

Plasma discharges are the least worrisome outcome of asteroid collisions.
See the following site:

www.lpl.arizona.edu...

A good starting point for more information about asteroids and the collision hazard is the link page

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

of our web site, echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Best regards --

Steve Ostro

======================================================
Dr. Steven J. Ostro
Senior Research Scientist

Mailstop 300-233
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Pasadena, CA 91109-8099

So, your thoughts?

[edit on 1/23/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

Well we already have all the links he gave...Oh well, guess we'll have to keep waiting for someone to clarify all of this. To bad, I was really hoping he'd give you some really great info

[edit on 23-1-2008 by whoreallyknows]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
First story I have seen in any form of main stream media talking about this...

Asteroid to give Earth close shave

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
just wanted to let you guys know that the java app doesn't give you the closest orbit distance, it gives you a guesstimate. for the actual minimum orbit number look below the applet at "Earth MOID". at this moment it's projected at .00125 AU ~-= 115,000mi/187,000km. THAT's the number you need to keep an eye on. it has been getting closer and closer over the past few days. that's about half lunar distance if i'm not mistaken, pretty damn close if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
just wanted to let you guys know that the java app doesn't give you the closest orbit distance, it gives you a guesstimate. for the actual minimum orbit number look below the applet at "Earth MOID". at this moment it's projected at .00125 AU ~-= 115,000mi/187,000km. THAT's the number you need to keep an eye on. it has been getting closer and closer over the past few days. that's about half lunar distance if i'm not mistaken, pretty damn close if you ask me.

That is actually how close it will pass to earth's orbit, not the earth itself.

The thing I really find interesting about this is that each source gives a different distance for the asteroid to pass by and they are all about 100,000 km in difference....some say 300,000 km and others 600,000 km. If they are all pulling the same data then where is this 300,000 km discrepancy coming from and if they can't narrow it down to a more finite number then who is to say they are even close?

That said I do not think this one will impact Earth, but the mere fact that none of the supposed experts on this can give a firm number for distance and the variations are 300,000 km does not give me warm fuzzies for any other PHO's.

-B

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
to UrbanSurvival.com

Home
UrbanSurvival.com

Peoplenomics
Subscribers' Entrance
What's New
Customer Service
How to Subscribe

www.independencejournal.com...

A Banking System in [Slow-Motion] Ruins

No, the biggest story of the day is not about the Mars Rover finding some alien running around on Mars and sending a picture of it back here. Although, I admit it's interesting and right about on schedule with the 'strange energies from space' that's due linguistically about now.

So strange energies huh ..

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't think we had the first link that he gave in his response! Click on it and it takes you to a NEO "news" page (article 158, for TU24)....which if you then click on the news tab dosen't even appear in the list of posted news articles? So how is one supposed to access this link other than directly by coming across it here?

Kinda strange, nothing new though...still says that "TU24 will not hit or affect the earth". Okay, I am supposed to take your word for it, a scientist working for big government. This is NASA people, they have covered up the real reasons for the last two space shuttle disasters, Columbia and Challenger! If infact it is true there is no hazard being posed then why not let the media release the story with the "watered down" concerns that this will be a non-event and a great scientific learning experience? This is newsworthy, the most worrysome NEO during a 40 year time span! The reason is they are concerned, they don't know exact what is going to happen, just like you and me, so there is no need to cause a panic, especially if they were wrong and nothing occurs!

But when I am reading about the US being the only country in the world with the scientific instrumentation to determine if an upper atmosphere explosion is man-made or cosmic in nature (from an upper-level US general to Congress several years ago) my mind just starts to implore the possibilities....I would like to see Bush try and say that the effects of this thing come from Iran or some other BS.. The comments about hackers taking down part of the US electrical grid? I am going to be keeping a close eye on the election canidates on Monday and Tuesday, see what they are doing (maybe running for cover)!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
Hmmm look at what is stated here from :Space Daily

Given the estimated number of near-Earth asteroids of this size (about 7,000 discovered and undiscovered objects)

Now, maybe I'm oversimplifying here, but how do they know that there are an estimated 7,000 if some of them are still undiscovered?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

ah you're right, nice catch. i'm still going to keep an eye on this one though. especially with all the mixed projections like you said.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thought I would share these statistics from

Australian Spaceguard

Cause of death Chances

Motor vehicle accident 1 in 100
Homicide 1 in 300
Melanoma (a skin cancer*) 1 in 300
Fire 1 in 800
Firearms accident 1 in 2,500
Electrocution 1 in 5,000
Asteroid/comet impact 1 in 20,000#
Passenger aircraft crash 1 in 20,000
Flood 1 in 30,000
Tornado 1 in 60,000
Venomous bite or sting 1 in 100,000
Food poisioning by botulism 1 in 3 million

And we have tornado drills all the time. But again, nothing to worry about.

Consequently, Bill Gates just gave a ton of money to biggie up asteroid "watch" capabilities. There is also a significant amount of criticism for Bush's return to the moon plan with a February by invitation only conference to discuss going to asteroids instead of the moon. The link is

Spaceguard News

I found this site to be much more open and critical of the current efforts as well as containing more than a hint that we have the technology to stop an asteroid strike on the earth if we detect it early enough. Just thought I would share some reading while we wait on Gladstone's latest assurances that all is well in the universe.

And one other not so comforting story

Small asteroids can pack a punch

If nothing, the many searches we have performed are beginning to shed some light on the gross underfunding of these NEO endeavors around the world and the limited number of "players" involved. Does it seem to anyone else that all the information is in one place and that place isn't very good at PR since there is no MSM on this event. Maybe some of these eggs need to be spread around in other baskets.

Good list of articles and research seems to be

NEO/Microplanet News

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If something big does happen with this asteroid, I feel this would be the perfect excuse for Bush to call off the elections and declare marshall law. What do you all think?

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join