It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Common Myths About Atheists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Never said you had to.. but his possible suicide could never turn him into an atheist. It would make him a damned christian.

Committing suicide doesn't amke you christian, nor does it make you atheist....do you actually read what you are typing? You just keep digging yourself into a hole

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Wow.. someone new to insult me.

Yeah I do. I never said that commiting suicide turns somene into a christian.. it just won't turn them into an atheist and if they are christian when they kill themslves they just become a damned christian [as in religious crede]. In this case the concept of heaven, hell and purgatory is a chistian concept.. to believe in it you would have to be indoctrinated into it at some point which means either being born into christianty or converting to it. Either way belief in a christian heaven and hell requires some sort of belief in a christian god.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Dont talk to me about christianity, I am an atheist like you......and no, I dont care what your views on religion are. Everytime you post something it ends with a reference to Hitler....you cant even stay on topic

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

the other guy kept insisting that hitler was an atheist. That is indeed a myth so yes I was on topic.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by riley
Never said you had to.. but his possible suicide could never turn him into an atheist. It would make him a damned christian.

Committing suicide doesn't amke you christian, nor does it make you atheist....do you actually read what you are typing? You just keep digging yourself into a hole

Yeah I know,, he cracks me up lol the guy is a forum warrior I ignore most of them. I guess I "dished" out enough to be warned about it too but considering how this thread got hijacked into a debate about Hitler because this guy had a beer with him knows for sure he was a GOD fearing whatever.. Well if I said anything that he considers an affront, I think I am entitled to it now lol. He doesn't realize Christians albeit acknowledge the idea of Gods etc but only KNOW and Believe in one.

That one they believe is NOT the mere Idea of whatever this Hitler historian says. I guess if I were to lower my standards or cheapen what my Ideals about a GOD would be,, then yeah I guess Hitler believed in GOD but for me to accept such a ridiculous postulate on it's face? I am a Viet Nam Vet and have seen dozens of films you won't find on the Internet where Hitler speaking quite extemporaneously opinionated his thought about people and Religion in general. He says words to the same effect Maj does. Now assuming Religion is a concept or manifestation of people believing in GODS,, then that same criticism extends to the very heart of that religions existence, a belief in GOD. I crack up when I read people try to "fit" Hitler into a category of believer and fully understand why an atheist would emphatically deny him being one of them! I will do the same. It is when they say "Deity" or some other word that expresses some form of GOD that I just ignore. It is absolutely asinine to suggest that if Hitler Believed in such things it would be so ambiguous to the point where they are careful not to use the word GOD but Deity instead.

He was never heard using that term and I would bet the farm that if Hitler had a GOD he would not only USE the word GOD but would know who or what that GOD is. His actions speak so loudly of his "playing GOD" himself, what he ever had to say about believing in one counts for little or zero. Hitler was a sociopath having no conscience
at all let alone a Christian conscience. It is dichotomy I will not accept in any mainstream religions version of God or Cult. Quite frankly I can't even imagine a satanic cult having a GOD someone like Hitler wouldn't find as passe

I watched footage of the analysis on bones and dental work they had confirmed was Hitler while in Boot Camp.

His death was confirmed a suicide and while I really don't care about the accuracy of an old 8 millimeter film documentary taken by US soldiers I will admit that I have never seen anywhere in the bible that suicide is the unforgivable sin. Not just that but in the context of damning a Christian to hell for it is again not consistent with Christian doctrine.

To put it simply in accordance to scripture,,

Christians are not damned

they are forgiven.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I am an atheist like you......
- OzWeatherman

Yeah but you are one I can talk to and this thread owes you a measure of credit for goodwill and diplomacy in its efforts to gain mutual understanding and acceptance whether we disagree or not.

- Con

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Look, Hitler claimed publicly to be a Christian, and indeed was raised Catholic, although he never attended mass after leaving home.

The thing about it is that if the multitude of eyewitness accounts can be believed, he stated in private that he identified more with Islam and despised traditional Christianity as it was incompatible with the Nazi system. In his own writings you can see that he tried to make the Christ out to be against the Jews and even tried to make the argument that Christianity is a warlike religion.

We have to realize the word Christian means something. To be a Christian is one who attempts to follow the words of Christ or be Christ like. The word Christianity CANNOT mean whatever we want it to, or whatever Hitler wanted it to. We are here communicating with each other, and in order to communicate effectively we must all apply the same meaning to our words.

I don’t think any Christian or atheist would, after reading the gospels, say that Hitler was a Christian just because he claimed to be one. Had he claimed to be black would we associate his deeds with blacks today even though it is obvious he was not?

I do think it would be safe to say that Hitler PROBABLY believed in the existence of the Abrahamic God, although more than likely in a very ecumenical sense and while not necessarily adhering to the central themes of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Oddly enough these threads never come down to Buddhists and Pagans hurling insults and treating each other like the other side are morons.

We all, myself included, should take a few pages from their books, whether we have religious beliefs or not. I would certainly like to apologize to anyone who has felt insulted by anything I've said, so consider this post as that apology.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
What a surprise.. no-one bothered proving that Hitler's hatred of christianity yet talked about 'videos' that they didn't bother posting..

I'm going to try explain this again:

Hitler was of the christian CREDE.. he was part of the religion. He was christined into catholism which means [going by christian beleifs] his soul was saved from orginal sin. I am not arguing whether he was a 'good christian' or a 'bad christian' and given the fact I am an atheist trying to tell me that his actions made him otherwise is pointless. Thats what he believed in. Some christians might not like that fact.. but there are others still that think the crusades and inquisitions were 'righteous' and 'christian'.. do you guys agree with this? thats the method in which most of europe was converted.. through violence and the threat of it. What is christian about mass murdering non believers? A handful of muslim extreamists attacked america. Many muslims claim they were against Islam but the fact is they did follow it.. and hitler followed his own religion. You could argue the point that he tried to twist the bible to suit himself and indeed he did.. but so have homophobes and anti-abortionists. Whether you want to mass murder jews or 'witches' and ignore the 'thalt shalt no kill' rule or ignore the 'free will for all' rule and picket and abuse women at hospitals it's all using the bible to fit specific agendas. So who's more christian? At what point does someone become a 'non christan'? when they start judging others perhaps? Thats not christian either.

In any case.. and on topic.. Hitler considered himself as christian so we should definently be able to agree that he was theist.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Hitler was of the christian CREDE.. he was part of the religion. He was christined into catholism which means [going by christian beleifs] ...

In any case.. and on topic.. Hitler considered himself as christian so we should definently be able to agree that he was theist.

I hate to think what will happen when you go to buy a car. Apparently you think that if the salesman tells you it's a good deal, indeed the best in town, it must be so.

Quite why you look at a politician's words, rather than his actions, I don't know. Hitler was a persecutor of the church and his aim was to replace it with a revival of Norse paganism.

Isn't it interesting that we don't hear about German atheists being sent to concentration camps for resisting him? Christians did end up there, for resisting the Nazification of the churches.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by roger_pearse

I hate to think what will happen when you go and live your life. Apparently you think that if the bible tells you your going to heaven for believing in god, then indeed it must be so.

This applies to the bible and Jesus as well. Just because someone mentions a heaven or Jesus it must be true although there's no proof at all? Haven't you realised most if not all religions are just words with no proof?

[edit on 15-12-2007 by AncientVoid]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
lol these "myths" are completely situational. i know atheists who hate christians and i know people who became atheist because of bad experiences. these aren't all untrue. who knows? some atheists might break rules and live "immorally" since they believe there is no hell or heaven. it's all dependant on the person.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by solidgroundcafe

As mentioned before, these are only a small percent in the whole community. It's like saying all christians are killers because of the killings they have done in the past.

You shouldn't judge a whole community by the actions of a few.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse
I hate to think what will happen when you go to buy a car. Apparently you think that if the salesman tells you it's a good deal, indeed the best in town, it must be so.

wtf? I'm not shopping for a car OR a religion so your little analogy is flawed.

Quite why you look at a politician's words, rather than his actions, I don't know. Hitler was a persecutor of the church and his aim was to replace it with a revival of Norse paganism.

Yet, [aside from his paintings and going to church regularly].. he made a deal with the Catholic church where they endorsed his power. I do look at the actions of politicians and that little deal speaks volumes.

Isn't it interesting that we don't hear about German atheists being sent to concentration camps for resisting him? Christians did end up there, for resisting the Nazification of the churches.

Since athiests have only ever consisted of less than 1% of the population people wouldn't have cared enough to speak of it which would account for why you haven't heared of it.. and I have NEVER heared of hitler claiming to be an atheist or claiming to have a bias for them. Notice how people were talking about a video of hitler saying he hates christianity? Why haven't they posted said proof? because just like Darwin's apparent 'I believe in god' death bed confession [yet another myth] ..it doesn't exist.

[edit on 15-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You shouldn't judge a whole community by the actions of a few.

He wasn't he was stating his experience of a number of them he knows personally so don't be so quick to judge..

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I hate to think what will happen when you go and live your life. Apparently you think that if the bible tells you your going to heaven for believing in god, then indeed it must be so.

Why would hate to think that? lol You just can't STAND it that anyone believes the Bible. he he kinda cute.

Haven't you realised most if not all religions are just words with no proof?

Of course we have but whats that got to do with Christianity?

This applies to the bible and Jesus as well.

No,, I think what you mean is that it applies to us. Nothing you say applies to the bible and EVERYTHING you have said,,

Jesus will apply to you.

Just because someone mentions a heaven or Jesus it must be true although there's no proof at all?

Ha ha oh ye of little faith,, Look Guy it's like this,, if you want to know Jesus, you come as a child and leave your pre-conceived notions and doubts your finite secular definition of what you think proof is and what someone else told you it isn't. You come by faith as a child and you ask for the "comforter to give you the understanding" remember AS A CHILD.

Then you will have more proof then you can ever imagine in ways that can only be described as not of this world. You will then have a felt him but not accepted him. If you want to know or meet the king of kings, lord of lords,, you don't demand proof and after you realize what he had done for you ,, you will understand why God doesn't owe you a dime let alone an explanation about something you can't begin to understand in your state of mind or your mortal frame of referance. You do it his way not yours and all I can say is you need him a lot more then he needs you but you don't know that. You come as a child and drop the attitude and when he hits your heart,, You will see him everywhere in everything while still knowing others can't. It will give a whole new meaning to the phrase I once was blind,, but now I see. and the story of Paul being struck blind on the road to damascus will now make the hairs on your neck stand up. Becareful what you wish for,, you just might get then,,

you'll wonder how it was you ever doubted him.

You are the one that has a problem with people believing in the Bible and God and I understand the limitation more then you know but seriously,, whether you ever do or not,, it's his way or the highway that being your way and he already knows all about you having no need to meet you.

You want proof? You want to really know Jesus Christ and finaly see what all the fuss is about ?

Thats how you do it and until you do it,,,

I Don't Care

- Con

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Please don't make up stuff...

[edit on 16-12-2007 by AncientVoid]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid

Please don't put words in my mouth...

I didn't,, I put them into the only context unless you think a book can be aware of anything you apply to it. Frankly the book didn't even hear you or what you were applyng to it. As for Jesus,, hehe sorry but he just isn't one for having athesist apply things to him. I mean you'd have to know him.. He aahh,, he's kool like that. lol

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid

Please don't make up stuff...

[edit on 16-12-2007 by AncientVoid]

You may want to wait till I do ,, before you start telling me how to live my life. YOU ASKED I GAVE YOU THE WAY. It isn't My way it is the way to test your faith giving up what you think you know and gaining back more then you'll ever know.

I have nothing to gain making up "stuff" for you. All I did is gave the same map that was given me. The rest is up to you and if we never met, talked again,., I could care less,, it isn't up to me.

It's up to you,, use it

or lose it.

- Con

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
Why would hate to think that? lol You just can't STAND it that anyone believes the Bible.

Soo... i thought you didn't make stuff up.

As for the other stuff, it's all wishful thinking...
Also what's with the testing my faith thing? I don't have religious faith.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join