It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Common Myths About Atheists

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hold the hand of your lover, tightly, look deep into their eyes with passion burning violently and tell me then you do not believe in god.
Witness your heart churn as you watch a life ruined before your eyes, and tell me that power of emotion is the product of nothing.
Tell me, when you dream your wildest dreams and find yourself cutting through the sunwashed clouds of another world, tell me this is not so.

You want evidence of a higher power Atheists? It's been right in front of you all along. All you need to do is recognize it. Look not with your eyes and ears, but with your heart.

edit on 4-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Hold the hand of your lover, tightly, look deep into their eyes with passion burning violently and tell me then you do not believe in god.

Married 21 years.

I do not believe in God.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

But I don't understand how anyone can look around at the creation, and look within, and then conclude that there is no God, that just seems kind of preposterous to me.

It will be interesting if modern science concludes (and it's moving in this direction now) that consciousness and not matter is primary, and that the very ground of all being and becoming is a self aware, fully informed, Akashic Record, from eternity to eternity. Then the atheist will be seen as the most foolish person, in the whole universe!

It is the fool who says in his heart "there is no God".

I can understand being agnostic, but not atheist, that's absurd.

edit on 4-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

It is a fool who creates a mystical being to explain what he does not understand.
edit on 4-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I was an atheist once. I believed in the proposition that God is not knowable, or Agnosticism. Turns out that if you hunt out your own evidence, rather than wait for someone to present you evidence, you will find things that will surprise you. I now subscribe to Gnosticism, that God is knowable. If you seek with all your heart and soul you will find Him. I somehow doubt just saying "If you are real, do so-and-so" will cut it; rather you need to beg with your heart. A very hard thing to do when you have much or happiness, but when you have little or misery it's possible.

Could this be the reason why it's hard for rich people to go to heaven?
edit on 4-1-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

thanks for the reply!!

Interesting discovery for me down that path! I certainly figured out what all the hubbub was about.

Ha .....I would assume that you would agree what you found is beyond words? And if not that at least a reality untarnished by what we think of it, which in return lends itself to its own mystery?

Neither will really get there as every word and thought we use to figure (..) out brings us one step further away from (..) Interestingly, the core ideas of the religions themselves point to a personal journey, but i couldnt see it from my vantage point at that time.

YES!!! My point exactly ...which again seems to me the OP does not comprehend ...all these ideas, words, concepts, theories, intellectualizing, as well as philosophizing .....all taking us sooo much further away from Absolute truth.

And yes indeed the personal journey .......for was I myself to remain an Atheist when I was one, it was conclusive to be an intellectual dead end compared to the possibilities that reason lent based on what others have said is at the end of the Journey.

In a sense atheism, but in many respects also Dogma, prevents one from taking the journey in the first place.

ANyway thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice

...what a cheesy narcissistic scenario...

...life is too short and too precious to waste on all that harlequin romance drama and whining...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

It is a fool who creates a mystical being to explain what he does not understand.

Tell that to all the masters of the supreme science of consciousness, down through the ages, how stupid they must all be.. how foolish, oh wise modern atheist.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Playing the atheist's advocate for a moment - can you share with us what divine attributes this God you claim to know possesses?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Tell that to all the masters of the supreme science of consciousness, down through the ages, how stupid they must all be.. how foolish, oh wise modern atheist.

Perhaps you shouldn't pull the Fool card in an attempt to discredit those who don't have the same belief as you.

How godly it is of you making disparaging comments about Michele Obama's big butt. Rather petty for someone so self righteous.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Perhaps you shouldn't pull the Fool card in an attempt to discredit those who don't have the same belief as you.

How godly it is of you making disparaging comments about Michele Obama's big butt. Rather petty for someone so self righteous.

You're right I'm sorry, that's going too far, I agree. But how many times have we the "God-people" been called foolish, silly, stupid, I can go on and on, as I'm sure you're well aware. What I was driving at, was this idea that life is conscious, the universe itself (and beyond) self aware and fully informed, but here we are included in that, and thus, I am grateful to my creator, whoever and whatever that may be, only that he is, we can be relatively certain, given the very nature of the reality, and even the consciousness, and the whole love-matrix we inhabit, but there's more, there's also the notion of a universal spirit which inhabits the universe, a loving ghost in the machine, and if we haven't found it yet (although some among us are starting to make "finger contact" at the very least), we are on a course now, as evolving sentients, to discovering our beginning and our end, as self consciously aware beings, emercsed in a self consciously aware universe, or God, catching up with himself in the fullness of time and history, or in eternity - it's our destiny as human beings, to come into this realization, and then begin to MOVE in increasing alignment with it's loving imperatives and loving discipline.

Perhaps the main problem we're having here, is with the WORD "God" - but you see, you atheists have staked your claim on this thing already don't you see? And can you not see this being a PROBLEM of sorts, staking out THAT kind of claim (no God).? What happens as we wish to further define just what we mean by "God", and maybe even God is our very "condition" as consciously aware being with freedom, but is that any reason to do away with the Absolute?
God by any other name, or frame, is still God, and we inhabit God, and God indwells us, in spirit, beyond the personality, beyond the I or the me. God is the one who laughs, and who loves, and who creates, together with himself, through us, at the end of time, which is now, since we already always inhabit, an eternally unfolding present moment between two eternities, relative to a destination, as consciousness, something that we cannot begin to imagine, but, just because it resides )although some of us say we've touched it or been touched by it in some way) in an unknown unknown, is no reason to say that it or he cannot be there.

In fact some of us believe that the spirit as awareness in perfection, through the human being, removed a wall of separation, according to a faulty paradigm, and made us all friends with the spirit again, in re-union. Like - what the heck is wrong with THAT? What's wrong with having a felt gnosis of a spirit greater than the self, never changing, always loving, and always extending itself, again and again, to the human being, to at long last discover his true identity, in spiritual union with the Godhead, through Christ, the person. Now THAT is a marvel, because it means that we are fully understood, right where we are at AND fully accepted, as we are, although also seen as a work in progress, on a path towards this destination.

So as an atheist, you would rob us of all this and force us to throw it all out, based on the argument that it has not yet been fully PROVEN? That's crazy. Uneccesary, and unfounded, and perhaps in the final analysis, not the least bit helpful to the first/last cause over history, as we sit even now on the very cusp of a new wave and yet a new age, an age of both spirit AND reason, together, and as something novel, an age of laughter, love and of celebration, celebrating unity in diversity, and that, unfortunately for the "atheist" resides in the realm of the agnostic, who alone can embrace all these things, and become himself increasingly informed throughout the process.

What IF we really are on a rendevous mission with God and with ourself as we truly are, to rediscover something almost lost, but always found..

As for Michelle Obama's butt? My heartfelt condolences to the first famly, and hey it's something (obsesity) that we're all working on, and it's not always easy, and I do apologize if somehow I hurt her's or their feelings, and they really ought to take the time to read ATS, just to get a sense for how bad things really are "out here" in the real world, outside of the palace.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I don't know all the attributes of God, but I do know that He can be a personal God and not just some abstract law or energy and that He can suspend the natural laws such as raising people from death. My experiences assure me that the crucifixion is not just a myth but a reality. I would also add knowing all things where nothing can be hidden from Him.
edit on 5-1-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Um...my girlfriend didn't seem to have a problem with it. In fact, I mentioned in the OP, which was written several years ago, that my girlfriend was religious. She, through her own initiative and me not even bothering to bring it up with her, has become an atheist. In fact, when we started going out I used to go to church with her, mainly to make her happy and spend more time with her, because her family ritual was: evening mass, go to grandma's house, go to aunt and uncle. So, I participated in that.

Of course, eventually she simply said she had stopped believing, because she had seen through me and by asking me questions that she couldn't hold the position anymore.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Quick note: dom, I don't have the time to respond at length and in full to your post, I don't want to half-ass it.

reply to post by madnessinmysoul

But I don't understand how anyone can look around at the creation, and look within, and then conclude that there is no God, that just seems kind of preposterous to me.

I don't see how anyone can look around and see the lack of evidence for any deity and conclude that there is any evidence for any deity.

And again, I'm not concluding there is no god. I'm not even concluding, I'm simply saying that there isn't really a good reason to believe in a deity.

It will be interesting if modern science concludes (and it's moving in this direction now) that consciousness and not matter is primary,

It's not moving in that direction at all (and please, please, please don't mention quantum physics). Consciousness is a product of matter. It isn't even a unified thing, consciousness is many factors acting in congress.

and that the very ground of all being and becoming is a self aware, fully informed, Akashic Record, from eternity to eternity. Then the atheist will be seen as the most foolish person, in the whole universe!

Or...not. Because science is moving further in the materialistic direction, with matter being primary rather than the abstract concept of 'consciousness'.

I object to that. I do not call theists fools for their beliefs, I merely think they are incorrect and misinformed. I would prefer you extend the same courtesy to me, and I excuse Annee's comments, as she is normally a reasonable person, but I can expect that most people would find it difficult to not reply in kind. I initially wrote a similar thing just now, but I stepped away from the computer, came back, and saw that it was silly.

I can understand being agnostic, but not atheist, that's absurd.

You keep saying that, I keep explaining to you the different between the two, you keep ignoring it and repeating the above sentence. One last time, in brief:

Atheist: no belief in god
Agnostic: not knowing with certainty the answer to a particular question.

Agnostic atheist: A person who doesn't believe in a deity but is open to the possibility of being wrong.

This is regarded as the null hypothesis with regard to religious belief. Instead of accepting them, you merely keep an open mind and wait for evidence. Until that evidence is brought up, you remain an agnostic atheist.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

I object to that. I do not call theists fools for their beliefs, I merely think they are incorrect and misinformed. I would prefer you extend the same courtesy to me, and I excuse Annee's comments, as she is normally a reasonable person, but I can expect that most people would find it difficult to not reply in kind.

LOL - it was a "mirror" response. Intentional.

I try to see the other persons viewpoint. "Reflection" is a trick I use. Sometimes I just see if the other person chooses to be perceptive to "Reflection".

He didn't.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Ahhhhhhhh I get that now. My bad. I apologize for the improper interpretation of your post. Anyway, I wanted to add another misconception about atheists:

We're all young, rebellious individuals
Blatantly false. Most of the atheists I know are actually at least 20 years older than me. I'm 22. Crunch the numbers.

Hell, the segments of society with the highest level of atheistic individuals are scientists and university professors, both of which tend to be people above the age of 25.

Anyway, I hate the assumption that atheism is a 'phase' or something of that sort.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join