It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant Woman Tasered In Ohio

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Pregnant Woman Tasered In Ohio

www.whiotv.com

TROTWOOD, Ohio -- The FBI is investigating after a Trotwood police officer used a Taser on a pregnant woman.

Trotwood Public Safety Director Michael Etter said the incident happened on Nov. 18. He said the woman arrived at the police department asking to give up custody of her 1-year-old son.

Etter said his officer spoke with the woman as she held on to the child outside the police department.

The video shows the woman struggle with the officer, who then takes the child from her and gives the boy to another officer. The first officer then forces the woman down on her stomach, and he then deploys a Taser on her neck.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Tasering pregnant women seems to be a growing trend since about 2005. The cops are clearly out of control and see interacting with the public as a confrontation instead of part of their job.

What do the rest of you folks think about this?

www.whiotv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm wondering if the increasing reports of people dying after being tasered will have any effect on the decision of an officer to use the device. It's one thing to kill a person with a taser, but this could potentially kill or hurt the baby as well.

It frightens me to think that with the recent taser deaths, that no laws will be enacted to control the use of these devices. If that happens, then it's like giving the police the freedom to just go out and kill people and not have to be accountable for it.

Another thought is that since tasers have been around for quite awhile, are the number of attacks and/or deaths increasing or are we just starting to hear about them more because so many people have video cameras that bring them to the public's attention.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
To my mind, this smacks of either poorly trained police officers, or insufficient screening of recruits or those given tasers...

Why do we see an increase in the unnecessary use of these things ? Have old fashioned policing methods gone out the window, as far as negotiating and placating people who aren't as strong as you are goes ?

I mean, why go for the safe, easy option....Don't these cops care that they may kill someone...

And, BTW...Don't the cop lobby on here come at me and say the cop had no choice...in this case, that argument is pure BS...

Something needs to be done as far as how available these weapons are in the hands of "average" cops...

From what I've read on here lately, perhaps a separate psych test should be use to determine who gets the taser and who doesn't

I know its a complex issue...I really do...

But the use of this device has to decrease.....Personally, I'd much rather cop a baton to the noggin than be electrocuted...And God knows what damage being tased could do to a foetus...

Much to think about...

I truly hope this horrible device is not issued in a major way in Australia...

Peace

EDIT -- P.S - Great OP Mega

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

I agree with the points you made. I suppose the police are no longer able to simply restrain anyone.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
and the UN have declared the use of Tasers as a torutre device

do you want to be tortured whilst living in the USA and paying taxes?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
1. badly trained cops, even my kid brother could retain a pregnant woman with little training

2. Tasers doesnt belong anywhere, another example of an envention made only for the wrong reasons.

3. Analphabetic behavior from a policeman obviously knowing nothing of pregnant women or without respect for life.

4. Yet another policeman who isnt able to get into his head that his primary job is to protect and serve the public, instead of missusing his power to hurt people.

5. apparently any analphabetic powerhappy scumbucket can become a policeman in america

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
From back in 2004

Sakinah Aaron was walking into the bus area at the Wheaton Metro station several weeks ago, talking loudly on her Motorola cell phone. A little too loudly for Officer George Saoutis of the Metro Transit Police.

The police officer told Aaron, who is five months pregnant, to lower her voice. She told the officer he had no right to tell her how to speak into her cell phone.

Their verbal dispute quickly escalated, and Saoutis grabbed Aaron by the arm and pushed her to the ground. He handcuffed the 23-year-old woman, called for backup and took her to a cell where she was held for three hours before being released to her aunt. She was charged with two misdemeanors: "disorderly manner that disturbed the public peace" and resisting arrest.
link

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free....

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
While I agree that the misuse of tasers is a serious issue. I do not agree that they should be removed from all police officers. I think they can be a very useful and nonlethal tool, but the issue of its misuse comes from little to no oversight, and little to no disciplinary action if it is misused.

I would rather see some drunk or addict get tased on the street after coming from a club than see him get shot.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf.
I would rather see some drunk or addict get tased on the street after coming from a club than see him get shot.

Apparently you have missed the cases of the people that have died because the were high or drunk at the time they got taser.

Just do a quick search and you will find that exactly just that is the main excuse that police dapartments and the manufacturers of this weapon site when someone dies by the use of it.

Main excuses:
1-unknown medical condition
2-person under the influence of some substance.

Be done with this weapon, make them do good law enforcement job, to protect and serve, thats why they get paid for, not to taser away first and ask questions later.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

Main excuses:
1-unknown medical condition
2-person under the influence of some substance.

Be done with this weapon, make the do so good law enforcement job, to protect and serve, thats why they get paid for, not to taser away first and ask questions later.

100% agreed.
i still stand by my arguments that cops are not trained properly.
i still think that a course at the 'academy' and then so many hours a week or whatever hitting the mats/bags would give the police a huge edge.
HUGE...it would be a tremendous help for the copper that works with a partner....one could toss/immobilize the suspect with a toss and a hold, while the partner gets the cuffs/ties on....

i think it is down right pathetic that the fuzz really no zero self defense tactics...i think if they did have some ability, they wouldn't go straight for the lightning.

i watch cops a lot and i see when someone tries to run or slip out and the cop gets em down but they land all jacked and so does the suspect...they don't know what they are doing..

simple throws and joint manipulations, IMO, would cut these tazings down a bit...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Oops I guess you were first Mega... copy/paste from bunchs thread

Why do they need to taser her? I understand if it's some hardcore criminal 6'3" 280 lb guy who benches 400 lbs and is all aggressively hopped up on drugs... Sure very dangerous individuals sometimes require excessive force to subdue.

However, in this case...
Let's review the facts:

1) It's a woman and she didn't look that physically imposing judging by the surveillance tape.

2) Even if the woman is unusually strong or well trained the event took place outside a police station, so there should be more than one officer around to restrain her.

3) Since WHEN does a MALE POLICE OFFICER need a TASER to restrain a WOMAN? C'mon. I've taken a martial arts class and while I'm no expert navy seal type, but I'm 99% certain a trained man should be able to win against a smaller woman without tasers

4) Why do they need to take her down at all? Where is she going to go? Run away? Please. They catch speeders doing 100 mph trying to evade police. How far is a pregnant woman going to get on foot?

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Scramjet76]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My main point with this weapon is that it was introduced as NON-LETHAL, that after police depatments across the countrie were being exposed in highly publicized police brutality cases. In some of those cases people got shot and killed, but many others were cops beating on suspects. Many of these case brought lawsuits costing this police departments large amounts of money, WHY? Because beating and shots leave injuries in the person that when they are brought to trial and a jury see this pictures or see a guy walking on a wheelchair cause an impression.

Tasers on the other hand dont leave that impression, in addition is not clear whos responsible for a injury cause by this weapons, because their is too many variables to it.

Is it the manufacturer fault for any injury cause by taser, is it the police officer that use it? Right now is not that way, right now the fault resides exclusively on the person detained because.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That was totally uncalled for. That police officer should be suspended and while he's suspended he should be ordered to take defense classes on how to subdue a person without tasering them. There are police officers out there that are good officers who would of never used there taser for that situation. I don't think tasers should be outlawed, but a better training course for law inforcement should be inacted. Better technics for handling cases like this and others.

[edit on 11/29/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The bad thing about this weapon is that it's a crap shoot if the next person they "tase" is going to die or not, law enforcement should not use a weapon that may kill some people unless they themselves or civillians are being threatened with bodily injury or a life or death situation.

More and more it seems to me like law enforcement agencies are using Tasers as a tool to PUNISH civilians who may not be obeying their EVERY command, IT IS BEING USED AS A TOOL OF PUNISHMENT NOWADAYS, not as a weapon of last resort to be used when confronted with a suspect that may put them or someone else in a life or death situation or is threatening somebody with bodily harm.

[edit on 29/11/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Apparently you have missed the cases of the people that have died because the were high or drunk at the time they got taser.

Actually, yes I have missed such stories. I havent looked to much into taser incidents. Following your advise, I found you are completely right, those are the main excuses used by police in instances of death by taser.

I recall my previous position, ban the bloody things.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
To Tazer a woman held down on the ground is the most cowardly and sick thing I have heard all day. Unreal. That pig is a..well, I don't want to get in trouble..Imagine that..her already down and on the ground, and because this pig WAS NOT MAN ENOUGH TO HOLF HER DOWN WITH HIS BODY, he has to torture her, Tazer her, while she is already down and in custody!! It was totally about PUNISHMENT!!

THAT is the deal folks..it is NOT about compliance most of the time..these filthy pigs have new toys, and like all immature cowboy types they go too far and abuse them..and us. There is NO excuse to Tazer a person who is not violent and struggling and ON THEIR FEET. This cop is a shame..a real example ot the worst of the scum that get a badge and use it to hurt people.

I bet that fat cop got a nasty thrill from shocking that woman..totally powerful, inflicting unbearable pain..this guy probably..well, never mind..for the sake of decency. At any rate, cops like this in my opinion should be dealt with as they deal with others: Maybe if they got a good Tazering..a good long one..and were treated like we are by them, maybe they would be a little less brutal. Something has to be done about cops like that: they representa menace to society and should be removed from the police force...permanently removed. No more jobs as a cop once they croos the line.

What I would give for five minutes alone with that cop in a small room with just him and me: I guarantee that when he leaves, carried no doubt, he would have a whole new attitude about women and pregnancy and civil rights and pain. No doubt.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I would love to own a tazer, so I could use it on myself repeatedly over time, and build up a tolerance to it. Because I've seen cops in Western Australia carrying mace and tazers now, and given my history with them (seeing many cops here as mostly thugs, bending the laws, stealing and using drug from busts , liars and an untouchable gang unto themselves) and my propensity to develop a foul attitude when unduly detained by the law here, I'm sure it will happen one day.

To be honest, stories like this make me feel ill from the disgust I feel towards officers (ha, thugs..) who resort to heavy handed tactics where unnecessary.

Damn..

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have several family members who have worked on one particular police force, and I think the training that they undergo should be mandatory for all law enforcement. As these family members have done more than just ride on the street (they are involved in training other officers, SWAT work, etc.) they have received more advanced training.

Part of this training involves actually getting "tazed" or "tazered" or whatever you call it. This way they know how the use of this weapon feels. If they ever use it on another person, or if a criminal were to ever use it on them, they know its effects. They do the same thing with pepper spray, and they demonstrate what it's like to be shot while wearing a bullet proof vest.

I will add that I personally don't know any police officers who have ever used a taser, even though many of them have carried them. I would agree that the overuse of this weapon in society boils down to a lack of proper training.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

I can't say I always agree totally with your posts on this subject but I think your thoughts on inflicting punishment on some as opposed to just talking or arresting may have some merit.

I can see how this device is a chance to physically punish someone without being 'lethal force'. A bit like a child poking and pushing someone. It stokes some gratification in the person.

These actions state much about the officers using these devices under less than reasonable or necessary situations.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join