It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Theory takes a hit!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nice weather we've been having for this time of year. And where are all the honey-bees? I see Arctic explorers are shunning the North because of the thinning ice and turning to cooler Antartic climes. North-West Passage anyone? Oh, the USA, Canada, Russia and Denmark and already scrambling to lay claim to it.

Whatever the cause of global warming, we better start doing something about it. Perhaps if we nationalized the oil industry we could find the money to do it...

[edit on 29-10-2007 by rizla]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
lol, the global warming theory simply states that as the earth heats, the ice caps melt, and it predicts the chain of events once warming starts...

the global warming theory does NOT lay blame on anyone...
Way to not read the material you were bashing.

Yes, the global warming theory still stands strong, and completely un-scathed.

Now to address your concept of natural cycles...
you sound like a quitter. "Oh, it's a natural cycle, so were screwed, lets do nothing about it." ?

If a volcano erupts, do you not run for shore?
Sounds to me you'd be the kind to sit down and say, "Not my fault it's erupting, so I don't have to do anything."

Some attitude.

It's completely irrelevant WHO's fault it is, the whole point is we as a species need to start figuring out what we can do to cool this rock down, and FAST.

Laying blame on people doesn't solve the problem. It's people like that who are going to BE the problem.

"Not my fault, so I don't have to do sh**"
lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Global Warming....more doom & gloom.

I say bring it on... I am sick and tired of all this stuff. This bickering is useless.

What can we really do to prevent it from happening "IF" its happening at all? Nothing. We are so inconsiquential to the planet as a whole.

Nature has a way of fixing itself - no matter what we do. and changing light bulbs and driving prius's isn't going to do squat.

Yep global warming is the new religion. no matter what happens, hot, cold, rain, drought, storms, el ninia -ninio it's all global warming.

Another Joke. How come Nostradamous couln't predict this?

I guess I gotta buy a boat and get boots!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You won't be mocking global warming for long.

The rest of us refuse to go quietly. We continue to test and seek new ways to ensure our survival.

Defeat and death is not an option to us, it may be to you, but not us.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Whatever the cause of global warming, we better start doing something about it. Perhaps if we nationalized the oil industry we could find the money to do it...

[edit on 29-10-2007 by rizla]

Funny if it wasn't so sad. The naive belief that global warming not caused by mankind could somehow be stopped or controlled by mankind. The technology simply does not exist on the necessary global scale. And rewinding our civilization back to the stone age where mankind supposedly does not pollute the environment would, 1 kill almost every civilized human alive today (including the people posting on ATS) and 2, have little or no effect since we had global warming (and ice ages) before mankind ever had a civilization.

Yes, that will surely fix the problem, but in an unintended way. Global warming will no longer be a problem for mankind, if there is no one to worry about it.

[edit on 10/29/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Oh come now, there are plenty more options than simply wiping ourselves out.

Sure, we haven't found a feasable one yet, but does that mean we should just give up and sit back, wait for death?!

No way man. One thing that makes us human is the ability to radically change our environment, it's time we put ourselves to the test.

If we stuck to the idea of only working with what we have, we would still be lighting our fires by rubbing bits of wood together.

Lets do what we do best, create a solution!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The machine of profit and necessity will burn the last oil, chop the last tree and pollute the last water.

Semantics confuses the issue with terminology and theory. Simply put, the Earth is a self-contained ecosystem which has been created from the activity of life. Life has changed its activity, therefore a change in the system is to follow.

What that change will be is probably beyond our comprehension; but it goes far beyond one theory or another taking a 'hit'.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I agree we humans has been pretty much in charge of our destiny or that is what we think.

But the truth is that we are not and never will, we are nothing than just part of the food chain given the chance.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Global warming is a terrible misnomer. It misleads people into thinking that everything on the planet is getting warmer, which is NOT true. There are plenty of places where just the opposite is taking place, and people who think that climate change is "just a cycle" or "is complete bunk" use this to support their (weak) argument.

A more apt name would be Man-Made Extreme Global Climate Change. Sadly, that doesnt roll off the tongue as well as Global Warming, but it encompasses the fact that our planet is experiencing extreme weather changes at both ends of the spectrum. Human induced climate change IS real!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
One thing I think most of these global warming people fail to consider is the fact that the SUN ITESELF is now burning hotter, increasing in thermal temperature. In fact on many of the other planets, including Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, we are seeing rises in temps. Moons that were once all ice have now melted, etc. So in fact it has nothing to do with men or mans influance!

Have fun paying the carbon tax, sheep.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve22
A more apt name would be Man-Made Extreme Global Climate Change. .....Human induced climate change IS real!

And your absolute proof for this is ....what? Was the Roman warm period and the Medieval warm period Human Induced climate change as well? what about the Little Ice age as well? The case has not been proved that man is the cause of the warming IMO. Oceans control the vast majority of all the weather and climate on earth, they take centuries to heat and cool.

There are many factors involved in warming our planet, Man is but a part of it and not even the major part.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by pavil]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I must say, some great posts in here. Been a while since I bothered to read a Global Warming thread and I'm pleasantly surprised to see both sides sticking to their guns.

I'm of the camp that accepts the world is warming up but who reject the anthropogenic cause theory. Basically I believe the world is warming up because of natural events, not through the actions of mankind.

Activity such as those of the Sun and the oceans eclipse anything man-kind could muster by many orders of magnitude. Don't believe me? Do temperatures fall when the Sun goes down? Of course they do, temperatures can fall by as much as 30 degrees C or more when its night time. This may seem like a trivial or insipid argument to counter the wizz-bang, glittzy Global Climate Change (GCC) argument, but it just goes to show how counter-intuitive GCC really is.

If the Sun can vary the temperatures on Earth by 30 degrees in a matter of hours, and GCC states that man (at most) is varying the temperature of the globe by a degree over decades, shouldn't the activity of the Sun take precedence in any Global Warming debate? You'd think so...but it doesn't.

As has been mentioned in this thread, the Sun is going through a major cycle of increased activity that peaks every couple of hundred years or so. This cycle is what is causing the increased temperatures experienced by the globe.

It's a testimony to the grotesque ego of mankind to assume that we're the cause behind a phenomenon that has been occurring for millennia. The world was covered in ice 10,000 years ago in the last ice age. 10,000 years is an historical blink of the eye. Yet we consider the melting of the ice caps to be an unheard of catastrophic doomsday. When we learn to accept that we are not the most powerful force on the planet we might start to deal with Global Climate Change in a productive manner.

For starters, pumping all our resources into reducing emissions whilst neglecting the people living in coastal and low lying areas is tantamount to a crime against humanity. For all those governments sinking billions of dollars into electric hybrid cars, which do squat for emission reductions anyway - where does electricity come from duh - how can they justify that spending when countries like Bangladesh are set to see tens of millions of people left homeless when the unavoidable (whether you believe in the anthropogenic theory or not) rise in the ocean occurs?

What I propose is that our first priority of spending should be to relocate the most vulnerable people from the parts of the coast that will flood. Then we need to modify our farms to cope with the change in climate. Then, and only then, should we concentrate on alternative energy sources (because I recognize the harm caused to the environment through pollution even though I disagree that it is responsible for Global Warming. It is however an ecological disaster). We should be doing the hard work that we know is possible to achieve (not theoretical) rather than blowing all our money on pie-in-the-sky eco-fads that do nothing but line the pockets of big business.

/rant off

[edit on 29/10/07 by subz]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Not a metorologist here but let me give you my own example from local observations. In wintertime here in Detroit we used to get snowstorms track up the Ohio valley and smack right into us. Lately the 10 years or so, these storms have been hitting south of us more often than hitting us. I am not sure of the weather mechanism but it does seem the overall weather pattern has shifted somewhat to the south and east.
Course it could be my imagination too.

Probably something similar is taking place in the SouthEast. I am not sure where most of your weather patterns come from, the Gulf or out West. Wait long enough and you will be complaining about the perpetual rain I bet. I hope you get some relief. See up here in S.E. Michigan this Summer has been relatively normal, at least as normal as Michgan weather gets. Our winter was much milder though. Like someone else said, Cycles, Cycles, Cycles.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Actually the rain did hit the south remember the coffins all over the news when the 90s floods.

During the Summer is the gulf stream what bring the moisture and wet weather to the area.

But the drought now is so severe that now legislation is going to be considered to control the flood of our main water reservoir from GA to Florida.

It has to do with some species endangerment act.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Huh? This does not mean anything of the sort. Even if it IS true, and there's a lot of pro-oil mis-information out there, and obviously, you read a lot of it...it does not mean global warming is bunk - or anything of the sort.

Quit buying into the Bush rhetoric. Nearlly every enviromental scientist on the planet accepts global warming is happening - and that it's predominantly man-made. The few that disagree tend to be on the pay rolls of the big oil companies. Simple really...
Jimbo

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by steve22
A more apt name would be Man-Made Extreme Global Climate Change. .....Human induced climate change IS real!

And your absolute proof for this is ....what? Was the Roman warm period and the Medieval warm period Human Induced climate change as well? what about the Little Ice age as well? The case has not been proved that man is the cause of the warming IMO. Oceans control the vast majority of all the weather and climate on earth, they take centuries to heat and cool.

There are many factors involved in warming our planet, Man is but a part of it and not even the major part.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by pavil]

That's simply not true. Man-made, atmospheric green-house gases are trapping heat, which is in turn melting the ice caps AND reducing the reflective abilities of the ice caps; which is now leading to changes in ocean temperatures. As ocean plankton is itself a massive carbon sink, the reduction in plankton levels by this temperature change in the water is exascerbating an already bad situation. Ocean temperature changes are scientific fact. They have been recorded by experts world-wide. So, as you can see, it doen't take centuries at all for oceans to warm/heat up. This has occured in the last half century.

It's a vicious, planet frying circle.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Must have missed the coffins, that sounds pretty disgusting!

You are due for some normal weather hopefully.I drove through South Georgia just after the fires, weird if you have never been in them before. The whole 100 mile stretch just smelled like a smouldering campfire and the sun was blocked by fog but it was really just haze and smoke from the fires. Like I said that was weird. I can't imagine those Cali Santa Anna fires, they must move like a blast furnace with those winds.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

The facts of the warming seem fixed in reality....
The grand scale of the warming taking in the entire solar system.....
Surely there is ample reason for some concern seing as many of the climate changes in the past seem to have had sudden and cataclysmic effects and causes....
Is there perhaps a tipping point we should be aware of?
Im sure it exists, but maybe not in the computer models of the weathermen...
What other consequences are long term inherant in such warming?
I think ultimately, its opposite global cooling....in between are some rough transitions ahead for mankinds survival....

DCP

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I always find it ironically amusing when pro global warming people say that we have to do everything in our power to stop global warming. I am thinking to post their message 'that we have to try harder' they are obviously using a computer for their personal use and that computer is using electricity that was produced from oil that could be still be in the ground but someone had to fire up their Mac

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join