It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is obviously the dark void in space the 13th tribe/colony traveled through from Kobal on its way to earth. We should expect the Battlestar Galactica and the Cylons to enter our solar system sometime this year..

SCIFI BSG Forum

BSG Site at Scifi.com

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Xeven]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

Cloaked? a massive black hole? Space made of something we know nothing about?

Well if it is a black hole it would be emitting radiation. So I would think that would have been detected, so should not be a black hole.

Not to mention a black hole of that size would have been detected awhile ago.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this whole Matrix thing. The simulated universe theory is interesting, at best, but really has no Scientific legs to stand on.

80 years ago we had no idea what dark matter was, and in 80 years from now - most likely much less - we'll know and understand what this "gaping hole" is.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CavemanDD
In physics we have the 'uncertainty priciple', Which basically means that it might take an astronomically large amount of time, but you might eventually say....randomly teleport half way across the universe.

Umm, I'm not sure where you learned quantum mechanics, but that's not the uncertainty principle...all the uncertainty principle states is that the position and velocity of an object cannot be measured at the same time. The more you precisely measure the velocity, the less precisely the position is measured, and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ok - here's my very short story on the subject:

"Today, this very day, we will rejoice together under the moons of our fathers - for this day we shall start the quark reactor!" cried Meepzorp, chief scientist of the Val.

"But Lord Meepzorp - are you sure, SURE, that this issue of accidentally creating strangelets has been solved? What would it gain us to have free energy, but for only a moment before a catalytic strangelet wave destroyed it? And not only our world, but our entire system, and in time, our nearby colonies as well?" asked Quinzorp, leader of the clan.

"Bah!", cried Meepzorp, waving a dismissing tentacle. Turning to the control panel of the great reactor, he pressed the 'Start' button as he commented, "Hey, y'all, watch this s..."

A wave of catalytic strangeness poured forth, destroying all matter on the planet Zorp in but a few seconds. Within a year, the entire Zorp system was gone, and the strangelet wave moved outwards at the speed of light, devouring all in its path, leaving an ever expanding emptiness.

Stay tuned next week for "See those quasars? That's the civilizations that got "vacuum energy" wrong on the first try"

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

what if a super advanced civilization had worked out the repeating Big bang theory and found a way to shield itself from the end/begining of the universe, its a big shield but possible i suppose ....

and this is why 'our' current new universe is unable to penetrate the area , this of course begs the question when the big bang repeated before current space expanded to their location. were the hell were they?

its 3am here maybe i am just going nutz .. throwing it out there

That is sort of similar to the idea that came to my mind. Could it be some sort of shield/cloaking device to make it appear as there is nothing there? But I dunno, that might make it more obvious, eh? As in, no particles or anything at all probably seems suspicious thus defeating the purpose.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
As I responded in the earlier thread on this same topic, regions of space largely devoid of matter are predicted within the plasma cosmology paradigm.

You guys sure have some fun ideas though.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Who wants to bet that Al Gore will soon appear on Larry King blaming this whole thing on global warming?

And you thought the ozone hole was something to worry about.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Gaping hole found in universe?

So scientists found my ex girlfriend, ohhhhh.

Now that that's out of my system. Perhaps this could be the proof that topological defects exist in the universe. I'm thinking that maybe this could be a domain wall, perhaps with negative mass which would therefore explain why such a huge area is empty (the gravitational effects from something with negative mass would be reversed) . Think about it, a topological defect would be the one thing that might just be able to have a negative mass because it would have been created in an early phase transition in the universe, so it's basically not matter as we know it.

Also, this is from the EARLY universe, right? Perhaps now this domain wall is gone because domain walls decay due to gravitational radiation...
or maybe they don't, I'm really not sure.

Or maybe it's just an as-of-yet untheorized region of space time where gravity behaves differently than it does everywhere else.

Or it's artificial.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golack
According to the article the astronomers measured the gravitational forces of the region and found it to essentially be zero.

The astronomers said the region even appeared to lack dark matter, which cannot be seen directly but is usually detected by measuring gravitational forces.

That rules out:

dark matter
blackholes
cloaked areas
exotic matter
etc.

This area is truly empty of any substance known or thought to exist in our universe.

it's the entrance and exit to the parellels..
or there is a flaw in the system. like the black cat on the matrix.

maybe it's the same as the holes we get in our ozone layer cause by mass pollution. universal warming. a way for dirt to escape the universe. we've had ozone holes here on earth that somehow repaired themselves.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I look deep into the hole and see....

A giant number 42 as plain as day.....

Me : I think someone's trying to tell us something.

- W -
* Fourty Two ? That's it ? Well, you weren't to clear about the question. *

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

It's a blank canvas. It's just waiting for the painter to come back.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think that it is fortuitous that we find this anomoly in the waters poured out by Aquarius. (constellation Eridanus) What excellent timing. This black 'hole' may represent the primeaval abyss from which everything was created. The unformed void waiting for the voice of god to move over it's waters.. It is also almost directly opposite the center of our galaxy, the giant furnace of creation. A polar opposite to this region of infinite potential. This along with several other recent discoveries make us remember just how strange and wonderful it all really is.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

what if a super advanced civilization had worked out the repeating Big bang theory and found a way to shield itself from the end/begining of the universe, its a big shield but possible i suppose ....

and this is why 'our' current new universe is unable to penetrate the area , this of course begs the question when the big bang repeated before current space expanded to their location. were the hell were they?

its 3am here maybe i am just going nutz .. throwing it out there

Sounds like they found Milliway's: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
nice thread. This is indeed out of the ordinary. The average distance between galaxies in the local group I'm guessing is around 3 million light years, from galaxy to galaxy. Thats a really small void compared to this billion light year gap. To sum things up, it's sounds like a real lonely place. Imagine if you had to cross that distance in a space ship.. mind boggling

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think they were talking about application of uncertainty principle to the theory. It was a while since i read that section of the book, but thanks for clearing that up. I'm looking at the correct deffinition in the back of the book, I'm not sure what theory they were talking about. I'm pretty sure its quantum theory, but the deffinition points otherwise. Deceptively worded.

Still, I bet the truth to this phenomenon will go unknown for a 100 years, finally given an explanation by the best inaccurate presumption provided. It sickens me the amount of ingorance surrounding the scientific community, people afraid to present theories for fear of their career, cmon.

They say that they've detected nothing in this void, it could be that they are just going about it the wrong way.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Nice Hole...if it is a "hole"

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
To put it into some perspective we are talking about an expanse of nearly 6 billion trillion miles of emptiness, not nessesarily a 'hole'.

A truly mind boggling expanse, yet in the scope of the universe it is just a tiny spot of unknown nothingness.

Fascinating how the human mind can bring this 'nothing' to life in this discussion, perhaps more interesting than this void, is the speculation we share on what it is, could be, or isn't.

For all we know, it wanted to be found for that very reason, we have made something of nothing!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If we ever figure out what the Universe really is all about, it will be replaced by something far stranger....

Some think that this has already happened....

- W -
* With thanks to one Doug Adams who I think is right in this case *

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Wow, is all I can say. Not at the article, but at the speculations made by the people on this thread. Talk about blown out of proportion.

The universe is basically broken down like this: You have stars, which make galaxies. Galaxies then make "galaxy-clusters." Clusters make super-clusters, and super-clusters are part of what's called a filament. The filaments are millions of galaxies that stretch out across the vastness of space, which are separated by large voids in space. Sometimes the voids have galaxies in them, sometimes they don't, but given their size, they are exceptionally devoid of "stuff."

Apparently what is being talked about in this article is nothing more than a very large void.. That just means there's a larger spot in the universe, than most, that is more devoid of matter, than most.

Now where on earth are people getting the idea of black holes, the end of the universe, matrix simulations? This is nothing but a big empty spot in space -- the "closet of the universe," if you will. Just a big empty spot for dumping things.

Space exists there the same it does here, or anywhere else (given all respect to the laws of relativity), so there's nothing special about it, other than the fact that there's just a whole lot of "unoccupied territory."

Now someone just explain how you are to construe the "life-is-a-computer-simulation" theory, super black holes, the end of space, etc, from that?

Thanks

[edit on 25-8-2007 by electronQM]

[edit on 25-8-2007 by electronQM]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm betting it's an even denser version of a black hole. Sort of like the "lakes" at the bottom of our seas. I don't think anyone ever really expected to find those while in a sub..
Did anyone else watch that on the Discovery channel?.. I can't remember which show name is was exactly but it was something about "deep sea education" or something similar.

In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, a small sub went deep enough to encounter s denser version of water and "floated" on a "pond" at the bottom of the sea.. or close to the bottom anyway. My memory is horrible but I'm trying to find a simple explanation.

b

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join