It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
OK i have an idea - silly as it may sound but an opinion none the less:

What if it is a "gateway" to another universe if we consider that our universe may be part of a multiverse. OR, alternately, well not really but, perhaps if other universes are born of each other, kind of like off spring, it may be another universe being created off this one and that is the "threshold" and the fact that there is "nothing" there that is detectable may have the same sort of link to the beginnings of our universe and the "big bang". If it is a new universe being "born" of this one perhaps when it "pulls away" there will a big bang of it's own.

Hey, just a thought.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The first thing that came to mind to me is that is probably a tear in space and time from an alien war using super weapon technologies that just devoured a huge chunk of space during the fight.
It is very possible.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
this is totally rad and it just makes me more upset that i will never see what is up there.
i want to see deep space so much......first thing i would do if i won some long money would be to hitch a ride with the ruskies.

anyway, this thing is awesome....as far as an advanced civilization cloaking something, that is a sweet theory...why not?
a billion light years across. if they are that advanced, i'm sure they are not worried about our piss ant like selves seeing their cloak, a cloak we can not even understand with our telescope.

a void in space...while we all 'know' that nothing can escape a black hole, for some reason(probably cause this is what i want to believe) i have always felt that a black hole is a door or a window to another dimension, another time, another galaxy...
you're sucked into the vacuum and can't escape and you are spit out the other side into some crazy new dimension where nothing is recognizable.

whatever it is, it's awesome....if it is growing exponentially though, wouldn't that mean that any day now we are toast...
a billion light years across. that means tomorrow it is 2 billion, then 4, then 8 billion light years across. it wouldn't take that much time to swallow up the milky way eh?
i'm not so good at math

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
First thing that pops into my mind reading this is....if they can detect this space of "nothing", well then it's not nothing is it? It's something.

This brings up stuff I used to always think about when I was a kid when i thought about space, and our universe. If it's truely never-ending space, I can't comprehend that. But on the flip side, if it is not, and our universe ends at some point, like an invisible wall ect....what is on the other side of that, and my mind can't comprehend that either.

So either way, I just can't comprehend anything. I know the above is very child-like thinking, but this is what i always think about when I think of our universe.

Well either that, or I think our universe could be just a small atom in a larger being, or creation, a blade of grass, a piece of lint on someones living room floor, who know's.

But this hole in space is VERY interesting, thank you for bringing this topic to us OP. I will definitely read the entire article when I get home from the doctor.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Now here's another idea - i guess. If it is growing, could that maybe not be another universe colliding with ours? Imagine two bubbles comming together. Where they attached and come closer so the point of contact becomes one and grows as they start to press together and become one. Interesting post none the less.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This maybe nothing more than the creators lack of perfection within it's form. Our minds have not filled in the blank yet with reason and our eyes sometimes fail us when observing events out of the ordinary. I'm sure somethng will fill in the void sooner or later.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's a zone of unreality !

Time / Space stops there, the laws of "our" universe stop there.

So what is it then ?

Well, if we want to name it, as we like to name everything don't we, how about we call it "unreal space" to seperate it from "real space" that is our universe, this means we'll have to name the rest of space as "real space" or something.

I rather call this universe just "Reality" as it seems real to us, so this "Non-reality" space could be called "Anti-Reality" that would boggle the mind wouldn't it ? a zone of "Anti-Reality" where everything breaks down because it's the oppisite of what we think of as real.

Or it's a Windows Vista "error" or "bug" that needs patching in the simulation, so we need to wait for service pack one to fix it

Time to call Micro$oft tech support, eh ?

I can just see it now.....

M$TS : Hello, this is Micro$oft tech support, how may I help you ?

User : Yes, there's a hole on the universe.

M$TS : What version of Windows are you running ?

User : Vista

M$TS : Which version of Vista ?

User : Home Basic, I think, let me check.....

And so on.....

- W -
* Sorry, someone had to do it you know

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Oh my gosh you mean Mankind has not discovered all of the secrets to the universe yet?

There is a God yet!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Um... Gazz... Why is your black hole radiating light? Sure looks like a star in that image...

It may look like a star, but in fact it is a galaxy, the black hole is in the center of that galaxy, and the jet is coming from it.

More here:

Streaming out from the center of the galaxy M87 like a cosmic searchlight is one of nature's most amazing phenomena, a black-hole-powered jet of electrons and other sub-atomic particles traveling at nearly the speed of light. In this NASA Hubble Space Telescope image, the blue of the jet contrasts with the yellow glow from the combined light of billions of unseen stars and the yellow, point-like globular clusters that make up this galaxy.

Source: hubblesite.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Personally, i think this is what happens when you screw around with the fabric of the universe too much.

Just *BANG* and your section of the universe is gone...somewhere....or completely destroyed. Leaving a gaping hole.

Does anyone find the irony or perhaps disturbing correlation in the fact that we found this just a few months before the supercollider in Geneva is set to be turned on? The one that everyone is afraid has a probability, however slim, of destroying the universe?

Makes you think.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This "hole in space" was first discovered in 1967. It was quicky identified and effectively dispatched by a crack team of deep space pioneers....

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This works with the theory that the universes can birth other universes...it was postulated that black holes have opposite "white holes" expelling matter thusly creating another bubble universe...

But something this huge....a billion light years... just one light year is 9,500,000,000,000 kilometers...so expressing this distance is ridiculous...and I'm not up on my scientific notation...lol

I wonder if they can determine if it is growing? Or shrinking?

Galactus...is that you?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Could this hole just be filled with anti-matter, or possibly it could be a wormhole

Can we send in probe?

Take samples?

Extremely strange...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hmm, very interesting...I shall run across my college campus, take the telescope and look through it. Someone give me the coordinates

Anyway, being serious...I want to ask my astronomy teacher about this..., maybe she can shed some light onto this as well as searching for it and what not..

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

this was my next questions lol..... if it is, the date it will suck earth in would be the mayan end of the world date

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
That can happen.

Maybe when Nibiru (planet x) passes, it takes the hole with it with it's gravity.

Nibiru is very big in mass, and if the prophecy is true Nibiru has an highly advanced civilization on it's surface. So they'll probably have nice technology to take this hole with them...

But that's just a thought.

Anyhoe...

I'd like to know how far out this thing is, if it might be dangerous for us and stuff.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We've only scratched the surface of what we know about the universe( and what we're actually able to see). I think there is an infinite amount to learn and we might never know what it all really is.

We can only see what our current technology and equipment allows us to. And just because there seems to be a hole a billion light years(or dimensions) across doesn't mean that there isn't actually anything there. We just can't see or detect anything. Once we're able to broaden our spectrum I think we'll be blown away by what's actually out there.

All I know for sure is that we're small. Really small.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well, ok, here is my theory(or theories):

1. Extrapolating what I have understood from "A Brief history of time" - which mentions something to the effect of the big bang not expanding uniformly in all directions, there were bubbles of space, this could be one such area where the universe is (or was 6 bill. years ago) yet to expand. e.g. a section of the bath tub yet to fill up as water is beginning to pour in.

or

2. The singularity stretches space-time to the infinite, so this could be the universe folding over itself, which from an external observer's PoV would be within moments of the big bang (dont ask me why, I just think so), and to us piss-ants (
:lol
, just a reaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyy long time.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This, my friends, sounds like a star fissure. I first heard of this on the game Myst. See, video games are good for you. Anyway, a star fissure is a hole void of matter and antimatter and dark matter and possibly a gateway. So its not long before someone notices it, then one day you look in your telescope and nothings there. I think I saw one when i went camping. A slice of nothing slightly to the left of the center of the galaxy from an earth point of view.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by shiman]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Maybe its Azathoth from the Cthulhu Mythos

From a Biblical point of View G-d is mentioned a number of times dwelling in Darkness that is not the same as the darkness that results from the absent of light. This Darkness can be felt and extinguishes light. Just an idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join