It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Gaping Hole found in Universe

www.reuters.com

A giant hole in the Universe is devoid of galaxies, stars and even lacks dark matter, astronomers said on Thursday.

The team at the University of Minnesota said the void is nearly a billion light-years across and they have no idea why it is there.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
i wonder if this is really a gaping hole, or if we just cant detect what is there , whatever it is its not 'normal space' as we know it.

a massive black hole? Space made of something we know nothing about?
a cataclysmic event of gigantic proportions.

or like the below poster says an unfinshed part of the simulation? have the walls finally been detected wobbling?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
LOL

WOWOW, that is really big, i mean, its incomprehensiable to even imagine or to even depict.

Probably evidence that we live in a Matrix-esque simulation world or something idk!

But still, flagged on the basis of mind boggoling proportions

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

Cloaked? a massive black hole? Space made of something we know nothing about?

Well if it is a black hole it would be emitting radiation. So I would think that would have been detected, so should not be a black hole.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be interesting if it was found to be growing at an exponential rate?

Eventually consuming all matter in the universe, compressing it and reaching critical in time exploding into the birth of a new universe?

The repeating big bang, maybe we have been here before millions of times already.

Interesting submission Quantum_Squirrel.

Flagged.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
A "gaping hole" in space sounds rather odd. Nevertheless, it confirms how little we really know about our universe.

I found additional material about The hole in space which is a bit more technical than than the Reuters link.

All I can say is that I find this all quite fascinating.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wiki Hawking radiation page

Originally posted by RedGolem

Well if it is a black hole it would be emitting radiation. So I would think that would have been detected, so should not be a black hole.

forgive me my knowledge is limited on the subject but black holes i thought absouletly nothing escaped its pull not even light , so how can radiation particles escape?

the only reference i can find is on Hawking particles which are theoritical

In physics, Hawking radiation (also known as Bekenstein-Hawking radiation) is a thermal radiation thought to be emitted by black holes due to "quantum effects". It is named after the British physicist Stephen Hawking who provided the theoretical argument for its existence in 1974, and sometimes also after the Israeli physicist Jacob Bekenstein who predicted that black holes should have thermal properties. Because Hawking radiation allows black holes to lose mass, black holes which lose more matter than they gain through other means are expected to evaporate, shrink, and ultimately vanish. Smaller 'micro' black holes are currently predicted by theory to be larger net emitters of radiation than larger black holes, and to shrink and evaporate faster.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Eventually consuming all matter in the universe, compressing it and reaching critical in time exploding into the birth of a new universe?

The repeating big bang, maybe we have been here before millions of times already.

yes I do think that would be rather interesting. I wonder how it would affect people if evidence was found that there is a repeating big bang.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Interesting submission Quantum_Squirrel.

Flagged.

i believe what your refering to is calle dthe Big Bounce theory .. sits alongside Big Bang, big crunch etc etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
here is the link again benevolant tyrant i had this trouble you have to take the full stop/ period off the end of the link

And for folks that cant be bothered to click heres the picture in low res , medium and high are available at the link

Illustration of the effect of intervening matter in the cosmos on the cosmic microwave background (CMB). On the right, the CMB is released shortly after the Big Bang, with tiny ripples in temperature due to fluctuations in the early Universe. As this radiation traverses the Universe, filled with a web of galaxies, clusters, superclusters and voids, it experiences slight perturbations. In the direction of the giant newly-discovered void, the WMAP satellite (top left) sees a cold spot, while the VLA (bottom left) sees fewer radio galaxies.

CREDIT: Bill Saxton, NRAO/AUI/NSF, NASA

The hole in space courtesy of Benovolant Tyrant

[edit on 23/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

Mod Edit: Resized image only.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

JbT

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Things like this make me wonder some times.... Have we advanced farther than a creator, or who knows, nature has even planned for.

I know its a wildly crazy theory, but man. Void Space - nothing detectable - billions of light years across... It makes me wonder if we are either completely wrong in our "standard model" (I know we are, in the end) or we are just stumbling apon things we were not meant to see, or stumble apon.

Anyways, wild theorys aside, its highly interesting. Mosre so than any book of Sci-Fi you can read... if you only open your mind.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Wiki Hawking radiation page

Originally posted by RedGolem

forgive me my knowledge is limited on the subject but black holes i thought absouletly nothing escaped its pull not even light , so how can radiation particles escape?

lol same here. I THINK that its just the Black Hole, uh, "burping"? Thats how i think it is anyways, kinda like Quasars, always pulsating waves/particles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it were to grow at an exponential rate, like a universe eating black hole essentially restarting everything......hmmmm. I think that would put EVERYTHING IN HUMAN HISTORY FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN, SLAPPED FOR FUN, FLUSHED DOWN A TOILET AND COMPLETLY IMPLODED ITSELF.

lol idk what i am talking about now. Just thinking about it gives me the brain willies. lol . A million Earths before us? A million differnt time streams?? WOWO

THANKS FOR THE PIC THERE QUANTUM SQUIRREL!!! NOICE. It puts it in a better perspective

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
what if a super advanced civilization had worked out the repeating Big bang theory and found a way to shield itself from the end/begining of the universe, its a big shield but possible i suppose ....

and this is why 'our' current new universe is unable to penetrate the area , this of course begs the question when the big bang repeated before current space expanded to their location. were the hell were they?

its 3am here maybe i am just going nutz .. throwing it out there

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Lol its the "Nothing" from the never ending story! We just have to believe in our imagination and it will go away. make a wish! even two!

Great find as allways OP!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Lol its the "Nothing" from the never ending story! We just have to believe in our imagination and it will go away. make a wish! even two!

Great find as allways OP!

Lmao are you saying is time to break out the flying dogs?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Quantum
I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I missed the post when I came back to review the topic.
I first heard that black holes emit radiation back in the mid 1980s. It was the theatrical version of A Brief History Of Time. The scientist who found it was working with Hawking and won a Nobel prize for his work, as I recall to the best of my knowledge. Hear is the link to a more recent version of A brief history of time. I do not know if the little fact that black holes are not completely black will be in there. But I will post more information if I come across it.

Google Video Link

and the link if the one above does not work

a brief history of time

[edit on 23-8-2007 by RedGolem]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the radiation from black holes is actually given off by matter about to be sucked in. We have no way of seeing or detecting a black hole beyond gravitational measurements and radiation iirc.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JbT

you bring up good points and i must say i agree with you

this is crazy... a billion light years across!?

hopefully they keep an eye on it so they can determine if it is expanding or not

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightworker12
I'm pretty sure the radiation from black holes is actually given off by matter about to be sucked in. We have no way of seeing or detecting a black hole beyond gravitational measurements and radiation iirc.

Just an observation here, if my understanding is correct a black hole is basically a star so massive (a mass many millions of times greater than our sun) that gravitational forces nearly infinitely compress everything, and the force is so powerful that even light cannot escape. There are some black holes that emit jets of gas and/or plasma, some have been recorded by Hubble.. some of these jets can extend across thousands of light years of space, or more, and move at nearly the speed of light.

The find highlighted here seems different from a black hole, rather much more unknown at the moment, somewhat ominous.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Additional information to back up my previous post in this thread.

Image left: Many black holes, notorious for pulling matter in, somehow generate particle jets shooting matter away at nearly light speed. Data from the Swift satellite may have solved the mystery of the nature of these jets. Data suggest they are made of electrons and protons."Click image to enlarge. Credit: NASA and the Hubble Heritage Team.

Source: www.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join