It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
i think we all know that big hole is.............. the twilight zone...... lol..

but seriously this is very interesting and i hope more info can be found

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
if the universe is a certain billion light years wide then WTF is after the universe?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Everything has its limits.

For example - the box. The square. The human eye. It has its limits....

But again, I could be wrong!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
and if this thing is billions of light years away arent we seeing this hole how it looked millions of years ago?????? because of the whole time light takes to get to earth from far places

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's obviously a reptilian mother-ship with its cloak malfunctioning in such a way that we aren't able to see the ship, but at the same time not able to seen anything behind it.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Okay, haven't waded through everyone's thoughts yet, but here's my guess.

It's the center of the universe. The point where the Big Bang took place, from which everything in the universe originated.

Someone here pointed out that it was 6-10 billion ly away, and that the bang happened 13 bya. So it couldn't be the center, right?

Wrong. Only light travels at the speed of light, remember? Everything else, a good deal less.

Besides, why should it be exactly 13 billion ly away? We know we're not the center of the universe, and it's just as unlikely that we're on the edge.

So, in this model, the BB happens, the universe expands outward. There's nothing new being added, though, so the center of the universe would, logically, be devoid of matter and probably energy. And over time, this void would expand outward from its center, like the surface of a balloon.

So, in essence, the universe is, simply, the area between two balloons, one inside the other. At the center is the void. At the edge? Beats the hell out of me.

Anyway, that's my guess.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
if the universe is a certain billion light years wide then WTF is after the universe?

Disneyland.

Give 'em time, they'll set one up at the edge.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If Black Holes are, in fact, so powerful that nothing can escape its grasps, wouldn't that mean that the first black hole would be the "end" of the universe?

I mean, if nothing can escape the gravitational pull of a black holde, then the first black hole should have pulled everything in, right?

Or is there a limit to the gravitational pull? That must be it. What would the gravitational pull of a black hole a billion light years wide be?

Looks like we need to re-think things.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
this is very intriguing yet at the same time very scary! How can there just a big black nothing? did god just run out of 'god juice,' and it was on order, but the official god juice warehouse was empty, so it wasn't goin to get here until the 12th day, and he just said heck with it? lol

More seriously though, I wonder what it could be. Cloaking would work, but it is really obvious. Other than that though, I dont know what the devil it could be!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Prehaps a gapping hole would be from not having the right tools to detect what is there? I mean when we are saying we are seeing a gapping hole, dont they really mean to say our tools we use for detecting things this far out there show that its either very cold, and no other information comes threw, but only in sertin area of the sky they knew it was there.

If its a gapping hole, my guess would be something is there, we just dont have the right frequency band aimed at it to detect what it is made up of.
Prehaps its a place in space that has new laws, and everything we are taught, does not apply to this zone in space.
Prehaps we are only looking into this threw the eyes of a human mind?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
O.O ... a big hole in the middle of space?? Now, that's scary

I think there has to be something there! It's not possible to have a big black hole of nothing is it? ...I mean it has to be made up of something...anything.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflyer28

Disneyland.

Give 'em time, they'll set one up at the edge.

that was great

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This news was debunked a couple of weeks ago. There is no hole in space, it was just a measurement error

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The above poster is correct.

It turns out that it was an error. Article here.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I am betting that is the view port. Did anyone see an eyeball? A real big one?

OOOPS TopsyCret and leisuredrummer have already wrapped it up and put it under the tree. Way to go!

[edit on 2-13-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Damn...

We

Know

Nothing!!!

Maybe its like the opposite of quantum physics... Or much the same as quantum physics except instead of rediculously small were looking at rediculously huge.

Maybe its an indefinite thought created by a massive conscious from the macrocosms.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by Wisen Heimer]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I believe that is the area where Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to battle the most powerful beings in the universe. Or, it may be the work of the Beyonder, who was known for tossing Galaxies around.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Dude, THIS was a question that kept me awake many-a-night when I was younger.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by leisuredrummer
The above poster is correct.

It turns out that it was an error. Article here.

Actually, if you check out the link above, it does not say that the story is "debunked". It just says that there are different ways of interpreting the data.
Whatever the final answer is, there is still something unusual going on in that area of space. As per the info below:

After re-examining the area, which supposedly contained far fewer stars and galaxies than it should, could be nothing more than a statistical artifact (a.k.a. coincidence).

"could be nothing more than".

Rudnick was intrigued by a different discovery: a cold spot in the cosmic microwave background"
"The mysterious cold spot coincided with a void almost 1 billion light years across, the largest ever heard of.

The situation may actually be "weirder" than first thought.

latest analysis of the area casts some doubt on Rudnick’s conclusion. It’s all a matter of interpretation
"Rudnick may have misjudged."

"May, May, May."

The cold spot, they says, and the alleged void don’t actually coincide perfectly but have different centers.

2 kooky areas, close to each other.

there is a way to settle the matter by pointing an optical telescope at the cold spot and counting the number of galaxies at different distances you could then construct a 3D map and see more clearly whether there is a large empty patch or not.

They are still working on clearing up this issue.

But whether or not the void itself is real, Komatsu says, “there is still this mysterious cold spot that we’d like to learn more about”.

So, the jury is still out on this phenomenon. Whatever the deal is, the important fact is that people on ATS still have something to keep our minds and imaginations occupied!

To keep us nice and worried. Especially late at night, when "normal peop", ...um, I mean, "non-ATS people" are sleeping safe and sound. Hehe.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SumnerKagan]

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SumnerKagan]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join