It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots In Copenhagen After Antiterror Unit Cleared Ungdomshuset

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
BBC has a new article:

BBC: Danish anger smoulders over squat

6 March 2007, 18:25 GMT

Judging from the well-organised battle plans and the cases of prepared projectiles and petrol bombs found in Ungdomshuset, Europe would do well not to underestimate the anti-establishment resolve of some of its more politicised youths.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This Might Be What it's All About!!

First she said she was gonna convert Noerrebro, now she's aiming for the whole of Denmark, according to press reports.

Faderhuset vil omvende hele Danmark (The Father House to convert all of Denmark), it reads (in Danish).

This is so @# incredible unholy un-Danish!! Can hardly believe it.

A campaign, so utterly alien to Danish spirit, releasing its demons.

Shifting through the flock, separating the sheep.

A neocon agenda to sweep Denmark?

To avoid any misinterpretation, let me stress I have great respect for any kind of believe. However, this 'evangelic' way, American style, is just so far from Danish spirit as anything can be.

Polarize. polarize to a point where tension makes spark between the poles turn into explosion. Got a feeling these riots were exactly what some people wanted.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The authorities wanted this war. Now they've got it. Many activists are still in custody. If they demolish Christiania as well, they'll get an even greater war if that's what they want...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Yes, what about Christiania?

I've heard the negociations on legalizing the property has broken down.

Might be another, much bigger war.

An old battle song (from 1976) comes to my mind:

I kan ikke slå os ihjel
I kan ikke slå os ihjel
I kan ikke slå os ihjel
vi er en del af Jer selv

You cannot kill us off/ we're a part of yourself
, it translates.

BTW check out the indy site, they have an extensive gallery of pictures from the riots
...read the comments, lots of them are in English.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
So, do you two guys support or refuse the actions of city of Copenhagen?

I know I do not.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Shouldn't be any doubts who to support. If I was twenty I'd probably be among the rioters.

That said I cannot support their methods, being older and more conservative now.

The only one I can think of here, who... ups.. sorry, I forgot, no name-calling.

As I just discussed with Hellmutt, Christiania will be the next thing ...and I'm afraid it will be REAL war. Don't wish for it man

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Look at the map, Christiania is at the very center of Copenhagen. Very attractive property. I bet they'll probably "find asbestos" in Christiania. That'll be their escuse to demolish it. So they can build something else in its place...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We have similar place here in Ljubljana, Slovenia called Metelkova - former Yugoslav Army Barracks (actually here was the Slovenian headquarters of the Yugoslav National Army), and it is also in the center of the city. There are many places here, like; art gallery, bars, artists studios, space for designers, offices of cultural organisations and clubs for concerts featuring different types of live music from Free Jazz, Heavy Metal and Noise to Dub and Techno. But I am afraid, that soon the city shall come here too, since they are slowly eating away the surrounding buildings, which are abandoned, and they have demolished a newly built house, called Mala Sola - meaning Small School. And I hope we shall not get some new "European directives" regarding this place, the ones that are in action in Denmark right now...

[edit on 7/3/07 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This Metelkova Souljah talks about seems a lot like Christiania.

Originally squatted in the late summer of 1971, the community was the first of its kind in the world (as far as I know), and has through the years had a turbulent existence threatened by closure from various government.

For the first decade or so it was widely accepted, believed the young squatters would sooner or later return to the comfort of hot water and central heating, so to speak, it would vanish by itself. The police often gave a hand to add to the discomfort of the place.

Drugs have been an issue from day one, and what authorities have tried to close it on ever since. But very early a self-justice emerged, that eventuality got organised in a campaign around 1980 to keep the hard drugs out. Gang wars were fought with several shot dead, because the hard drug-dealing was brought in from outside. The gangs seeing the place as a central market place were young people came.

Eventually the gangs were driven out without much help from law enforcement. Very early they gave up carrying out much law there and the soft drug trade of pot and hash flourished more and more open.

It was allowed to do so up until the present neocon government, who closed down the trade in 2004. Since then they have pressed for legalization of the buildings, i.e. to bring them in accordance with the building codes. Which will mean 70 percent will be demolished and the rest throughout renovated.

And that's were the 'asbestos weapon', as Hellmutt talked about, comes in. Literally all buildings older than 20-30 years are stuffed with it, so authorities can always make it an issue, if they want demolition.

Anyway here's a link to the Christinia's homepage ...the English version.
www.christiania.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I see where you are getting at. Metelkova is kind of similar, only younger, since it was squatted almost at the same time, that we declared independance from Yugoslavia and when the soldiers of Yugoslav Army left the barracks. That was about 15 years ago. And in the young age it was a lair of drugs and very weird people, but it slowly grew and today it is an important part of alternative culture in the city. Yes it does look very scary, for the people who first visit there - kind of a ghetto like place - but it has evolved a bit. In this compound there is a great hostel called Celica - meaning Cell or Prison, since it is former Yugoslav Army prison - but it was declared as the BEST hostel in Europe by the Lonely Planet!

The problem is with the owners of these clubs, bars, galleries and so on - because they do not get together and start to rebuild the Metelkova City on their own hand, since they would not pass the sanitary inspection by far; the toilets are not suitable (if there is one), the fridges in bars leak water an cooling fluids, the buildings need some work on the walls and stuff like that. Not to mention that clubs do not have almost any climates, and the the heat gets pretty much unbearable - especially in a packed club with a good concert going on! But they are kind of "not talking to each other", which really pissed me off, because for that the City of Ljubljana can in the future come and demolish everything and build a nice little mall with a parking lot.

The next thing that bothers me, is that the people in charge of security in this clubs acts like complete morons! For example; I was just standing outside, talking when suddenly two Very drunken dudes start fight each other, with bottles and stuff like that and the security in front of the club just watched for 10 or 15 minutes before they stand between them. I mean come on! What are you guys waiting for! Them to kill each other? Now that would be wonderful for the entire Metelkova.

I mean I like the place, it is very free and there can be great parties there - but the people who squat those places are really dumb and shall pay for that in the near future, as far as I see how things are going on in Denmark. And we also have a hardcore Neo-Con government - extreme right, who just sent 600 soldiers to Kosovo, which makes us now number Two on the list of countries with most soldiers abroad (regarding the percentage according to population). Yes number one is the United States...

[edit on 7/3/07 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I just understand the sympathy so many are showing for these people.

Yeah, it was most likely a great place to hang out for a while -- I've been to parties in similar areas that were brilliant!

But, I don't think that gives them ownership of the property. Now there's a legal owner that wants to repurpose the land. I think instead of rioting and causing mayhem, these people should just consider themselves lucky to have had access to the property for so long.

[edit on 3/7/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
A thoughtful analyze of the last few days by BBC.

Danish anger smoulders over squat

In many ways, the outbursts of unconventional youngsters were easy to understand in a city priding itself on tolerance of alternative lifestyles.

From the hippies of Christiania to the youths of Ungdomshuset, Copenhagen has been a city of indulgence.

But if there is one thing that Danes cannot tolerate, it is outside interference and a blatant refusal to accept compromise.

The Ungdomshuset case also suggests troubling undercurrents of violence in a society that is otherwise relaxed, broad-minded, committed to compromise.

The intransigence of both sides, with Mayor Bjerregaard refusing further talks and the Ungdomshuset organisation refusing to find a middle ground, contains the seeds of further unrest.

Seen from a Danish perspective, it is difficult to apportion blame for the violence.

Was it the fault of the youths who started the squat in the early 1980s? Or was it the authorities who allowed the squat to continue for so many years because the building was empty?

Was it the politicians who suggested the building would remain a youth centre and then changed their minds? Or was it the increasingly anarchic youths who in the latter stages refused to accept any other buildings?

In the event, the council's sale of the run-down building to the Faderhuset (Father's House) religious sect was like holding up a red rag to inflame young anarchists. For them any religious mission is anathema.

The core of Danes (and Europeans?) is atheist. With zero tolerance towards anyone who tells them what to believe.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It's now around 5 am in Copenhagen and it's quiet. There were some demos last night with thousands of people, but they didn't turn into riots. There's a massive police force in town, and they say forreigners could risk getting arrested and deported without committing any crimes. There are rumours of possible big riots on Saturday.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Now they have big party at the ground zero of Copenhagen. "Ground 69", they call it.

Jagtvej sp�rret af fest ved 'Ground 69' -- in Danish.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

"Ground 69", they call it.

They've also placed a lot of flowers there...

Photo: Jens Dresling

It's a bit like the Reichtag's fire, except that they know who did it and they also know who gave the orders. Unless Ruth Evensen (Faderhuset) followed orders from someone above her...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Danish media says 37 kids were arrested last night. Between 800 and 1,000 kids were gathered on Ground 69. When some of them put on masks and started to pick up stones, they were arrested.

TV 2 Nyhederne - 37 anholdt efter Ungdomshusfest (in danish)

edit to add:
Priests from Noerrebro are warning the kids against Faderhuset. They say Faderhuset is "un-Christian"...

Danish media reports that about 50 cars were burnt in the riots...

Photo: Scanpix

The police say they have picked up a bunch of sms messages sent between the activists. The sms' says: "Go to Copenhagen tonight and burn down the city!". Tonight, there will be another battle of Copenhagen it seems. It's now 12 am in Copenhagen. A demo will start at 3 pm, three hours from now.

[edit on 2007/3/10 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
edit to add:
Priests from Noerrebro are warning the kids against Faderhuset. They say Faderhuset is "un-Christian"...

Can you bring some more info on that. I haven't been able to dig out any in the medias I have access to.

Never knew about this 'faderhuset' before this, but I've noticed a picture of this Ruth Evensen marching with Moses Olsen, a well known joke in the spiritual landscape of Denmark. But the father house role doesn't seem to be any joke. In fact I smell some conspiracy there.

If you have any links (except Politiken) to their background, ideology, agenda, whatever, please bring them. If any important ones from Politiken, please give a summary.

Doesn't sound good about tonight. Police is worn out, getting psychologist help, I read. Will they call in the military? First time since 1922 if they do.

I really hope it'll be peaceful.

Here's another dramatic picture.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Originally posted by Hellmutt
edit to add:

Can you bring some more info on that. I haven't been able to dig out any in the medias I have access to.

How about B.T.? Do you have access to B.T.?

B.T.: Præster advarer mod Faderhuset (in danish

edit to add:
Do you remember the incident when Moses Hansen was carrying this huge cross through the city? He was doing some kind of protest march together with his disciples. Anyway, they got hungry. Because of the huge cross they wouldn't let them in anywhere. They ended up marching through the McDonald's Drive-in, w/cross and everything...

[edit on 2007/3/10 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, Hellmutt! BT is added to my favorites now.

They talk about faderhuset as a taxpayer milking organisation like Tvind. I'll eat my old hat if they ever get it to that level. An empire of missionary schools throughout Denmark!?? I doubt it. But obviously they got the money -- wherever they come from

Yes, I remember Moses Hansen, LOL, how could I call him Olsen?
Must be a mistake unconsciously. There WAS a Moses Olsen, named such by Ekstrabladet. It was Harald from Wildersgade, the first victim of their campaign against drugs. I knew him personally, but its more than 40 years ago -- how can your brain make such a slip

Anyway, its now 2 am in Copenhagen and no news are up. A demo, not approved by police should take place last night, but no reports on it yet.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
They expected "the worst", but nothing happened last night. The demonstrations ended without violence. Maybe the activists are waiting? Wearing out the police's resources before they run amok again? The police can't stay on standby forever. Some police demands extra pay (a reward) for their participance in the "Battle of Copenhagen". They say if they don't get a reward, nobody can expect them to fight with such bravery, loyality and entusiasm next time there is a riot...

The police have now created two "body search" areas in Copenhagen, where people are to be body searched for "weapons". One area is Nørrebro and the other is Christianshavn. The police say they had to take this unusual step because there has been 19 charges of "illegal possession of weapons" since they raided Ungdomshuset. Danish article from Ekstra Bladet here: Politiet indfører visitationsområder

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join