It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots In Copenhagen After Antiterror Unit Cleared Ungdomshuset

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Now CNN has it on their site.

Violent protests hit Copenhagen

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It's good to see some people waking up in the world and acting against what's wrong. Americans and britishs, you should learn from that and march on Washington and London to overthrow those dictators.

Anyway, any people from Denmark who could describe the government, and if it does compare to the UK/US ones who are fascists and corporationists?

The people are just asking what they should have, that the government bow to the people's will. When they do not, it's tyranny, and therefore a revolution is needed. Think about that, every person in the world, if your government doesn't bow to the people's will, not corporate greed, it's tyranny, not democracy.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Some News videos from danish tv. This was broadcasted live. Comments are in danish, naturally, since it's a danish tv channel. Drama...

Clip 1: (danish TV2 news broadcast from 2007-03-01)

Clip 2: (danish TV2 news broadcast from 2007-03-01)

Watch the news reporter running away near the end of this video...

And here's...

Animation of the eviction of Ungdomshuset in Copenhagen. A danish TV2 news broadcast from 2007-03-01.

Clip 1:

Clip 2:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Anyway, any people from Denmark who could describe the government, and if it does compare to the UK/US ones who are fascists and corporationists?

It's a one-chamber parliament that elects the governing cabinet. Since the 30's until the early 80's it has been predominantly left-wing governments. Within the last 25 years the Social-democrats have had less than ten years of general unpopular ruling.

Did a post earlier in this thread, a rough sketch of the 80 years of Danish parliamentary history.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The present cabinet it is made up of a minority coalition of 'Konservative', the classic and traditional conservative party of DK, and 'Venstre', the liberal party with traditional roots in the rural population and off spring in the agrarian emancipation.

Today that part only constitutes 2-3 percent, so the target group has changed from peasants to small business people and yuppies, and --a most notable trend-- intellectuals, ideological dissatisfied, renegades on the run.

They are liberal as the term is understood in America, but can be called neo-con.

They have a spirit of the time with them, but together with the Conservative party nontheless a minority, that could never rule if not for 'Dansk Follkeparti', Danish people's party, a xenophobic semi-fascist party with origin in discontent among the cadres of the traditional workers party 'Socialdemokraterne', the Social-democrats, for half a century the sovereign party, which a majority of voters for two generations elected.

The problem with Dansk Folkeparti is for the government to get bills through, they are liable to fall victim to political blackmail to ensure their support.

Which I suspect they don't really mind, giving excuse for a further right-wing course.

Further polarizing.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
For the third night in row demonstration are arranged from all over Copenhagen to join by the town hall, where police estimates say 2000 people have gathered. They are expected to walk in demonstration to Skt Hans Torv, the scene for fighting the previous nights.

All Saturday morning and noon the police has been busy arresting people in homes throughout the town, in what must be thought to be a preemptive strike against tonight's ever bigger demonstrations, taking out the supervisors and moral supporters behind the movement fighting for Ungdomshuset.

A step I'm afraid can only lead to an escalation.

"The 'court group' of the demonstrators arrested", a snippet translated from
Demonstranternes 'retsgruppe' anholdt

A "court group", which the circle around Ungdomshuset have established to support in legal matters such as arrests and jailing have themselves been arrested, lawyer Kurt Foldschack is informing.

The arrest of the "court group" probably took place during the many searches the police conducted on a number of addresses with connection to the circle around Ungdomshuset.

--An escalation of conflict to a higher level due to the police, Kurt Foldschack calls the arrests.

--When they now start arresting groups in support of the youngsters, time is to switch on stand-by, Kurt Foldschack says.

The actions of the police has a breach of basic rights to them. It might be wise to suspect anti-terror laws to be in effect to justify those actions.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Three medics were arrested by police while they were giving first aid to an activist who was injured. The police arrested them for "not leaving the area as they were told to do". Police have been criticized for being "too brutal" and many are shocked that they're even arresting medics on duty. A danish article about these arrests: Politiken.dk: Politiet anholder førstehjælps-arbejdere.

Freetown Christiania say they have no relations to Ungdomshuset, and they have mobilized some of their own people tonight to guard Christiania. They will try to discourage activists and prevent them from causing trouble in the area near Christiania. A danish article about this here: Ekstra Bladet: Lokalt vagtværn på Christianshavn

Faderhuset are going to announce on Monday if they are going to tear down the "Ungdomshuset" or not. A danish article about this here: TV2 Nyhederne: Mandag er skæbnedag for Jagtvej 69

They expect more trouble tonight...

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

They expect more trouble tonight...

Of course. When they do things like that, like arresting a medic for just doing his duty in helping people wounded no matter what side they are. Just like medics who were helping illegal immigrants in the desert to save their lives but were arrested later.

Just for that, if I would be there, I would join the protests.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There's a fire in Christianshavn but they are not sure yet whether it's related to the activists. A rooftop is ablaze and stuff from the roof is falling down on the cars below. Activists tried to start some fires at Noerrebro but was interupted by a massive police force and ran away. They say there are even more police in Copenhagen today. So far, there has been thrown bottles and firecrackers at the police, but nothing major (at least not yet). The activists are sending SMS to each other about gathering in the center of town at midnight. That's in about 20 minutes from now...

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Citizens of Noerrebro are fighting againts the activists now. They are tired of getting their neighborhood turned into a warzone.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
wow.. two groups of citizens fighting one another?

Does Denmark have a full ban on firearms?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
wow.. two groups of citizens fighting one another?

Does Denmark have a full ban on firearms?

Good question!

Although, firearms or not, I wouldn't like to get between two large groups of angry Vikings!

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
You're only allowed to own firearms in Denmark if you have a license. There are strict rules for obtaining such a license. There are of course illegal guns in Denmark, but there have been no shootings during these riots yet.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Citizens of Noerrebro are fighting againts the activists now. They are tired of getting their neighborhood turned into a warzone.

Some activists has been beaten up by these citizens. They apparently also removed the activists pants!

There are reports of a molotov cocktail which set a car on fire. The police are putting out fires everywhere. They say the fires are put out as soon as they are started.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Three medics were arrested by police while they were giving first aid to an activist who was injured. The police arrested them for "not leaving the area as they were told to do". Police have been criticized for being "too brutal" and many are shocked that they're even arresting medics on duty. A danish article about these arrests: Politiken.dk: Politiet anholder førstehjælps-arbejdere.

Who are these medics? I know that EMS folks must be among the police brigades putting the boot to these scumbags. If these medics are people putting rioters back into action, well, the medics should have known they were treading a fine line. If they were just citizens trying to help folks, harsh luck.

All I know is that all these pictures have burning s*** in them, and that s*** belongs to SOMEONE, probably not them. If someone was trying to use my ride as a flaming barricade other than me, I'd probably hit them in the head with a crowbar or something. This is getting to be like Paris all over again.

DE

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Another picture gallery here:

TV2 Galleri

and here:

Ekstra Bladet Galleri

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If I was working there the rioters would learn the meaning of Police Brutality. I would form 4 walls of officers and vehicles box them in and arrest the whole lot of them.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Nørrebros beboere stopper uro

translation

Residents of Nørrebros put a halt to unrest

NØRREBRO (ekstrabladet.dk): The residents of Nørrebro are getting tired of living in a war-zone. They have started counteracting the Autonomes, typicallly by extinguishing the fires they lit.

On Bjelkes Allé they ignited a car with a molotov-cocktail. But a local resident driving by, stopped and extinguished the fire with his powder extinguisher.

In other parts of Nørrebro the Autonomes met active resistance. When they break into the yards to steal material for their barricades and fires, they were met with rough resistance from the residents.

On Nørrebrogade a street fight evolved, as the Autonomes attempted to pull garbage containers to the street. Shortly after the police arrived and arrests were made. After the incidents the residents could pull back the containers to the yard.

A reader writes ekstrabladet.dk: 'In Møllegade some activists got spanked, and their trousers pulled off by the locals, who wouldn't stand any more violence and mayhem. Nørrebro got enough of the troublemakers.'

P.S. added>: Dunno if it's a word, "Autonomes" (or maybe 'Autonomenouss'), but it's the general label for those the scene, of activist/politcal radical.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The national media channel DR has the headline "Peaceful night in Copenhagen" and generally tells the same story as Ekstrabladet about residents being fed up by the young rioters, ...some reported as young as 12... about how they now take matters in their own hand.

Like they did on Christianshavn, the district of which the Freetown of Christiania is a big part.

A peace corps has been formed there by local residents and teachers, pupils from the school yesterday ransacked by senseless rioters.

Here's a pic from the lib of the school.
The computers went out the window.

Such behavior tells nothing but total insanity.

Pointless, meaningless, out of any context nothing but wasteful, and a very frustrated expression of dis-contempt in today's western believes of consumerism.

Sprung to my mind: this act of destruction is an expression on what the youngsters think about current values, so predominant idolized in a materialism that proves itself to be the only real hard copy of life.

Blame! ...for the heck#@-sure!- ...as their fathers and ourselves must be blamed.

I mean, when I was young and marched for a better world, I would never in my worst nightmare had suspected 40 years later, to have ended up where we are.

But we didn't break and destroy things like these pity kids do.
Well, occasionally some window in an American representation could break maybe, but most of all we didn't have any intensions of destruction or mayhem.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
As I remember they have this problem in the Netherlands too (or at least used to).

When I was there for a few months, I (barely
) remember some crazy parties in squatter houses in the suburbs.

Anyway, kick the bums out! I have no idea why any nation would allow people to occupy land that's not theirs and remain there keeping the rightful owners from improving their own property.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join