It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush approves warrantless opening of mail (Wake up you acolyte sheep)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It just boggles the mind how people can say "So what, I am not doing anything"

Let me ask you something, when the rebel R.U.F. organization came out in Sierra Leone and slaughtered hundreds of thousands. Do you think when they said "Hey Im innocent! Don't rape my wife and chop off my arms"
Did that stop them from macheting and machine gunning civilians?
And the Muslim Brotherhood didn't do that,fam. These were for genocide for flashing light from the earth-diamonds. Cleaning out tribe after tribe for De Beers and the Diamond District.

There's such a imperial western attitude that it can't happen to you.
Because it's "America" It's famous last words.

You are just giving all terrorist organizations a big victory by stripping away your rights one by one. And how many times will you say "Hey, doesn't bother me"

This kind of nonchalant response is what is going to creep in a authoratative N.W.O. state because of this behaviour pattern.

You aren't entitled to have our rights taken away, Acolytes/loyalists/apologists. You are helping destroy our country by attacking dissent when it's desperately needed in this multi billion corporate empire in which is strangleholded all MAJOR media outlets.

You want to hear something, Grady?

100 thousand in one Mississippi county are homeless living in a field of FEMA TRAILERS. And no one in this empire is helping them. They are dying families and families upon families? And you want me to support this filthy war when our own are dying from starvation and poverty over a natural disaster vs a military pre-emptive occupational one?

Wake up there is NO more LEFT in this country. It's Critical Thinkers who challenge authority who overreach. You have aggressively been lied to every step of the way. And these Reich Stormtroopers would stomp on you in a heartbeat if it gave them a micro increment of increasing in power.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I was going to make a snide remark about Blood Diamond but it's so true that all the money and lives wasted in Iraq could have been saved and many American problems would disappear if war funds were diverted to domestic needs. How many weapons of mass destruction does the US have? More than all other countries combined? When can we stop spending on wars and bigger better weapons and show some compassion for our fellow man.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by polanksi
.. When can we stop spending on wars and bigger better weapons and show some compassion for our fellow man.

anything can be perverted (think 'freedom' in the newspeak sense Iraq is currently experiencing), so 'compassion' is basically guarantted to become a tool of tyrrany, wielded by despotical, cynical power mongers. Eliminating these power mongers is key, and it means giving the gov't NO MONEY and most certainly neither devotion nor worship. this inlcudes lving a currency, just fyi.

when the gloves come off the sheeple will find they can't fight in a time when the entire world will be their enemies....

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I am saddened by what I have read here.

I served.

I "defended our freedoms".

I suppose the freedoms I defended don't mean much to some.

Our own are dying each day in a country in which phones were tapped, mail was read, and people were tracked. That dictator was recently executed.

What kind of "freedom" are we bringing them?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I will watch this thread, and any developments it has with great interest. I find it so amazing that more people don't see what's going on.

There's an old tale about a hangman. He came to a town and started hanging people. As each subsequent person was hanged, everyone else just said, "Oh well. So long as it's not me, I'm ok."

Well, one day, there were only 2 people left in town, the hangman and the other citizen. It was time for the hangman to do his duty, and the citizen cried out for help; only, to his dismay, no one was there to hear him, as he'd watched them all be executed by this.. this... hangman.

The point of this story I think is pretty clear. We, as a people, cannot wait to stand up until that hangman comes to our doors knocking because it's time for us to "hang out" with him. If we do, we'll meet the same end as the rest of the people in the town.

So, stand up for your neighbor and their rights as a citizen of these fine United States of America, and embrace your God-given right to protect them. They're your rights as well.

"All for one!! One for all!!" - The Three Muskateers

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It would seem to me that that the terrorists dont need to blow anything else up, they have already won if this legislation comes to pass.
Although I cant help wondering how much of this Governmental spying is REALLY about preventing terrorism???
Maybe my name says it all!

[edit on 6-1-2007 by xtr3m3paranoia]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Almost makes you wonder if the whole thing was a sham from the start, don't it?

It almost makes me feel as though the whole 9/11 thing was nothing more than a ruse to get the American People pacified enough to allow the Powers that Be to come onto the stage and take over. Now that they have a firm, openly visible handle on things, they are taking huge steps to limit the rights of any individual.

Individuals aren't something they want running around, because they foster ideas, and they make people think. Thinking is something that those who truly run things don't want us to do, because once we start to think, then we realize just what kind of a hole we're really in, and then we want to fix it. We look for someone to point a finger at, and there's only one group of people to implicate, and they know that.

And therein lies the choice for each individual; do we dare take that step, and point the finger where it rightfully belongs? Or do we just sit back and watch the show?

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
One thing no one seems to have noted is that anything that the president enacts can be challenged in court. It has been done before and it can be done again. Write your legislators and call the ACLU. If enough people act, something can and will be done. This is America, after all.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This is America, after all.

Is it really?

In the "America" I once knew, and was conceived by our betters, presidents did not attempt such far and impolite reaches across the table of power.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
hey, dont blame us democrats. The Democratic congress was just sworn in the day of this news. Give us some time to clean bush's messes up.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
so mail is in the headline today

BREAKING NEWS: bush seeks warrentless tap of email voicemail, your thoughts etc.

All in the name of terroism prevention right. I'm mean Bush is defending our way of life by invading our privacy. THat makes sense. Heres how it goes in Bush head:

Take out twin towers, blame the "terrorists," protect our people from the terrorist by listining to their phone calls, reading the mail. what s next...

This war on terror is joke.

THAT is the one that would have me upset. The others? I don't really care about. If 'they' want to listen to my phone calls, read my emails, read my snail mail .... whatever. I don't break the law and I'm not a terrorist. I'm dull and my phone calls would put anyone listening to sleep!

regardless to what you or i have to hide. Giving up phones privacy recieved only a fraction of the attention it should have. With that it has opened a door to mail and so on. Your phone call may put sometime to sleep but I will sleep better knowing that what s mine is mine to share or keep private.

lets not forget that we haven't given this the goverenment, it has been taken from us.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
What can really be done about it?

Well, here is the latest. Seems the power grab is being questioned by BOTH dems and repubs.

What'd you do to my mail Bill, Mr. Prez?

WASHINGTON - The Republican sponsor of a postal reform bill called on President Bush yesterday to explain why he used it to claim he can open domestic mail without a search warrant.

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine questioned Bush's controversial Dec. 20 "signing statement" in which he stated if there were an emergency he wouldn't need a warrant to open letters. The bill he signed into law that day, co-sponsored by Collins, requires search warrants for mail.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

One thing no one seems to have noted is that anything that the president enacts can be challenged in court. It has been done before and it can be done again. Write your legislators and call the ACLU. If enough people act, something can and will be done. This is America, after all.

Your odds of beating a ticket in trafiic court with the cops word against yours are slim to none!

Imagine if you went against the president!?

You will wind up like Gary Webb

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
For those of you born yesterday, this what I am talking about.

The Supreme Court on Thursday repudiated the Bush administration's plan to put Guantánamo detainees on trial before military commissions, ruling broadly that the commissions were unauthorized by federal statute and violated international law.

The sprawling detention site known as Camp Delta is part of the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

"The executive is bound to comply with the Rule of Law that prevails in this jurisdiction," Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the 5-to-3 majority, said at the end of a 73-page opinion that in sober tones shredded each of the administration's arguments, including the assertion that Congress had stripped the court of jurisdiction to decide the case. A principal but by no means the only flaw the court found in the commissions was that the president had established them without Congressional authorization.

The decision was such a sweeping and categorical defeat for the Bush administration that it left human rights lawyers who have pressed this and other cases on behalf of Guantanamo detainees almost speechless with surprise and delight, using words like "fantastic," "amazing," "remarkable." Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, a public interest law firm in New York that represents hundreds of detainees, said, "It doesn't get any better."

www.nytimes.com

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

For those of you born yesterday, this what I am talking about.

"The executive is bound to comply with the Rule of Law that prevails in this jurisdiction," Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the 5-to-3 majority, said at the end of a 73-page opinion that in sober tones shredded each of the administration's arguments, including the assertion that Congress had stripped the court of jurisdiction to decide the case. A principal but by no means the only flaw the court found in the commissions was that the president had established them without Congressional authorization.

The decision was such a sweeping and categorical defeat for the Bush administration that it left human rights lawyers who have pressed this and other cases on behalf of Guantanamo detainees almost speechless with surprise and delight, using words like "fantastic," "amazing," "remarkable." Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, a public interest law firm in New York that represents hundreds of detainees, said, "It doesn't get any better."

www.nytimes.com

WOW.

I wasn't born yesterday, but I was gardening and I missed that ruling.

Delightful.

BTW - I quite like your signature.

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
- Voltaire

lol

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You got to love that Tony Snow though. He really has it all together. Imagine a job where you had to lie every day and sell it to all those 'liberal" newspeople. You might just end up believing your own lies. Not to divert the thread but there was metion about leaving the states for elsewhere. I think it will soon be a reality and not just for the military. People in Europe are going to India for jobs. Mostly IT type jobs mid level. Speaking English is a real + and the most educated Indians are all ready employed.

Why would we expect the political process to work now. It's been broke too long.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I went to sleep and woke up and found some of my precious freedoms gone

I asked the person next door what happened to our freedoms

He said I do not know I was sleeping too, let me know if you find out what happened to our freedoms

But I was only sleeping for one day surely we have not lost our freedoms

I called my doctor and told her I was sick over losing my freedoms

She said to take two aspirin and go to bed and get some needed rest

I wake up the next day and found out more of my freedoms had disapeared

I called my Congressman and asked him what happened to my freedoms

He said you have not lost your freedoms it is only a temporary situation

But I want my precious freedoms back I love my freedoms and my country

He said ask not what your country can do for you but what freedoms

You are willing to give away for your country. But many have died for our freedoms I still want my freedoms back.

Folks this is the turning point in our Nations History for the people by the people.

The future is in our hands and I say let freedom ring. Rik Riley

[edit on 6-1-2007 by rikriley]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is getting more and more out of hand. I can't believe that so many people are content to give up what the United States of America was founded upon... all for the sake of security against a phantom menace.

If I was American, I'd be up in arms over this. As it is, I doubt I'll be doing any purchases that require the services of the USPS. Not that I have anything to hide... it's a matter of "NONE OF YOUR FARQING BUSINESS!".

Side note: Does anyone know if this covers commercial carriers? Is unwarranted searches of UPS and Fed-Ex packages covered?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Bush cited as examples the need to "protect human life and safety against hazardous materials and the need for physical searches specifically authorized by law for foreign intelligence collection."

did you guys read this garbage? dubya claims to be protecting human life, by invading our privacy. time for an election if you ask me!!!

[edit on 7-1-2007 by conspiracymaster]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by spines
[Like sheep to the slaughter I suppose.

Baaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaa
Seriously .. Im not breaking any laws and I'm rather dull. I would NOT accept a chip, but the rest??? It's happening and there isn't anything I can do about it. But I'm not a criminal so I guess they can see whatever they want and I don't care.

Sorry .. but unless it's a chip .. I'm not uptight about it.

Baaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaa

By the time it's a chip, you won't be able to say no.

Come to think of it..Try saying no to the government reading your email and all of your internet corrospondance.

Go on try it.

I'll even tell you how. You need a 256 bit encryption program, a proxy that's out of this country. You encrypt and route everything through.....Ectera
The result is you'd get your wire's tapped without a court order inside a week.

Try to say no. I dare you.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join