It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portsmouth: Portsmouth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is looking to wrap up the purchase of Ipswich midfielder Matt Holland after making Czech international Patrik Berger his first summer signing.

The 29-year-old Berger, whose contract had expired at Liverpool, had been linked with a switch to Leeds but Redknapp has moved in quickly to strengthen his squad as the First Division champions prepare for Barclaycard Premiership football.

Redknapp told Sky Sports News: "Patrik's a quality player, free, and the type of player who'll bring good experience to Portsmouth."

Republic of Ireland international Holland looks set to become Redknapp's next signing with a �750,000 deal on the cards.

Patrick berger is a good signing for portsmouth,i remember redknapp was interest in him when he was the west ham manager....Also Holland is a very good player and at �750,000 is not a price for him....

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Two very good signings who will do a job for Portsmouth. They are also interested in taking Di Canio and have a big name international lined up but are not naming any details yet. Could be interesting.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Redknapp has always been able to get his hands on bargain players and di canio would do well for them as he has 1 more good season in him..

As i said on another thread...They would struggle in the premier league unless they made signings which it seem they are doing...Be interesting to see how it developes..

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is on the verge of signing an "absolutely fantastic" centre-half to complement his two new midfielders.

Redknapp has all but completed a deal to bring in Republic of Ireland international Matt Holland for �750,000 from Ipswich.

And on Friday night the Pompey boss revealed that he had beaten Premiership rivals Leeds to the free transfer signing of Czech Republic star Patrik Berger from Liverpool.

Berger, who moved to Anfield from Borussia Dortmund in September 1996, played more than 100 league games for the Reds but had suffered from injuries in recent seasons.

Redknapp told Sky Sports News: "Patrik's played at the top level - and you don't play for Liverpool as long as he has if you're not a good player.

"We're waiting to finalise the Holland deal - it's nearly all done - and I'll be pleased to get him and Patrik, who are two good international players and they'll be good players for Portsmouth."

However, that will not represent the extent of his spending as he continued: "We've got a small squad here and we still need a bit of quality.

"I'm not looking to spend big money - but there are players out there on Bosmans and free transfers who have played at the top level and they are the sort of players we need to get in and do a job for us.

"I've got a centre-half I'm hoping to sign this week who I think will be absolutely fantastic for us - a proper player, a top drawer player.

"Vincent Pericard came on loan from Juventus and we're hoping to either take him on loan again or do something permanent - I think there's a deal to be done somewhere with him.

"I've not had a minute's break since the season finished, but I said I would not go away until I get the players in. It's been a good week so far and hopefully next week we can push on

"I'm hopeful we can pull off another miracle next year and stay up. We need a squad to carry us through and the lads I'm bringing in will give competition for places."

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Italian defender Gianluca Festa has left Portsmouth to return to Cagliari - seven years after leaving the Sardinian side.

The 34-year-old, who joined Pompey last year from Middlesbrough after five years on Teesside, played a major part in helping Harry Redknapp's team win promotion to the Barclaycard Premiership last season.

But Festa, who also played for Roma and Inter Milan prior to his switch to England, has now decided to head back to Italy - and the club who only recently missed out on a return to Serie A.

This will be a loss to portsmouth as he played very well for them last season....!

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has ruled out moves for Eyal Berkovic and Kevin Phillips - but is hoping to sign Teddy Sheringham.

Pompey have been linked with several players since their promotion to the Premiership was confirmed and Redknapp has revealed that former Tottenham and England forward Sheringham is at the top of his shortlist.

Redknapp said: "I like Teddy, he's been a great player and he may be open to a deal.

"I'm sure he wants to continue playing and is still a top player in my opinion.

"I've spoke with his agent but my chairman has been out of the country and is not back yet.

"I've got to sit down and have a chat with him and see where we are going with players, see if there's any money at all and see what we can afford to pay.

"Hopefully we can come up with some offers I can make to a few players.

"But I like Teddy Sheringham, I think he's a fantastic footballer.

"People say he might be getting older, but Teddy couldn't run when he was 15.

"But his brain is as sharp as anybody's and he's a great footballer.

"There may be some kind of deal you can strike with someone like Teddy and he would be a big asset to a club like Portsmouth that's for sure."

However, Redknapp has been alarmed by stories claiming that he has made serious approaches to Manchester City for midfielder Berkovic and to relegated Sunderland for their wantaway striker Phillips.

He added: "I saw in the papers that I was supposed to have spoken to Eyal and agreed a deal.

"Well that's nonsense. I couldn't have agreed a deal because I've not spoken to Kevin Keegan at Man City and until we did that, you couldn't talk to a player.

"What Man City can pay and what we would pay is a million miles apart unfortunately. But I would have liked him if I could have afforded him.

"Again I would like Kevin Phillips. He's a terrific goalscorer and would be a terrific player for us, but Kevin's wages would be too much," the Pompey boss added to BBC Sport Online.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Portsmouth have completed the signing of Nigeria striker Yakubu Ayegbini for an undisclosed fee.

Pompey chairman Milan Mandaric and chief executive Peter Storrie were delighted after landing their man following negotiations with Israeli club Maccabi Haifa.

The fee for the player, who has just helped the club win the First Division during a loan spell at Fratton Park, is thought to be much less than the �4million Haifa were seeking, while the length of agreement is also unspecified.

Chairman Milan Mandaric told the club's official website, www.pompeyfc.co.uk: "I don't need to tell fans about the player's potential and we have a real jewel in the crown before the current season has even ended."

Storrie added: "It is tremendous news for the club and for the supporters who have really taken to Yakubu in a big way."

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Newly-promoted Premiership side Portsmouth have made an approach to Vitesse Arnhem over defender Dejan Stefanovic.

The Serbia & Montenegro centre back is under contract with Vitesse until 2006, but financial constraints at the Eredivisie club mean they are forced to listen to offers for the player

Stefanovic played for Serbia & Montenegro in their 2-1 friendly loss to England in Leicester at on Tuesday.

Technical manager Jan Streuer said: "We are waiting for an offer. We want to see what they are willing to spend on Dejan.

"If it's correct that they want to pay two million euros (�1.4million), Stefanovic will absolutely stay here."

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp revealed earlier this week he was tracking a defender from Europe, but insists he is not keen to part with big money in the transfer market.

He said: "We have a budget of about �4m. That includes the wages.

"If you consider that we need six or seven players then you'll understand that we are not interested in spending money on transfer fees."

Pompey have recently recruited Czech Republic midfielder Patrick Berger from Liverpool on a free transfer.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Pompey have lost out to Charlton in signing Matt Holland ,we are now after Jody Morris

TRD

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thats a shame as Holland is a good player..I dunno about Morris he might not be good for Portsmouth..

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Now we are after Teddy Sheringham.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
yep i read about that...Sheringham is still a good player even though he is 37..He might not have the pace but he has so much talent and a great vision,I think he has one season left in him at the top level.

TRD

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has revealed how Dejan Stefanovic has snubbed Rangers in order to return to the Premiership.

The former Sheffield Wednesday defender is poised to join Pompey for a fee in the region of �1.85million from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, with the deal virtually complete.

Vitesse insist Stefanovic is yet to complete any switch to Fratton Park but they remain confident the deal will soon be finalised.

The 28-year-old Serbia & Montenegro international has been a target of Redknapp ever since Portsmouth secured promotion to the top flight.

Redknapp told The Portsmouth News: "He's a good player - a left-sided, left-footed centre-half.

"He's a terrific passer of the ball - he passes like a quality midfielder - and he's fantastic in the air.

Well it looks like they will get him and it will be a good signing for portsmouth..!

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I hope no club signs Morris, he is a trouble maker, not a very good player and deserves nothing out of life. I really don't like him, cocky little upstart.

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Former England striker Teddy Sheringham has agreed terms with Premiership newcomers Portsmouth.

Sheringham has been looking for a new club since leaving Tottenham at the end of last season.

The 37-year-old is currently abroad on holiday but the club have today announced that they expect a deal to be concluded later in the week.

Sheringham became a free agent when Spurs decided against renewing his contract this summer.

He had been linked with a return to former club Millwall but Portsmouth's interest allowed him the chance to continue in the top flight.

Sheringham joined Spurs for a second time in 2001 after a four-year spell at Manchester United, during which time he won the Champions League.

Sheringham's career began at Millwall before he moved on to Nottingham Forest and then Tottenham. He has won 51 England caps, the last of which was a substitute appearance in the World Cup quarter-final defeat by Brazil in Japan last summer.

Pompey have already signed former Liverpool midfielder Patrik Berger and defender Dejan Stefanovic from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem - and hope Sheringham and Croatian defender Boris Zivkovic join them in the near future.

A club spokesman confirmed: "We hope to have an agreement with Teddy in place soon - but can't do anything further until he returns from his holiday."

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Former England striker Teddy Sheringham has agreed terms with Premiership newcomers Portsmouth.

Sheringham has been looking for a new club since leaving Tottenham at the end of last season.

The 37-year-old is currently abroad on holiday but the club have today announced that they expect a deal to be concluded later in the week.

Sheringham became a free agent when Spurs decided against renewing his contract this summer.

He had been linked with a return to former club Millwall but Portsmouth's interest allowed him the chance to continue in the top flight.

Sheringham joined Spurs for a second time in 2001 after a four-year spell at Manchester United, during which time he won the Champions League.

Sheringham's career began at Millwall before he moved on to Nottingham Forest and then Tottenham. He has won 51 England caps, the last of which was a substitute appearance in the World Cup quarter-final defeat by Brazil in Japan last summer.

Pompey have already signed former Liverpool midfielder Patrik Berger and defender Dejan Stefanovic from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem - and hope Sheringham and Croatian defender Boris Zivkovic join them in the near future.

A club spokesman confirmed: "We hope to have an agreement with Teddy in place soon - but can't do anything further until he returns from his holiday."

You beat me TRD anyway i willn try and help you update the soccer forum but been busy lately.

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Thanks drunk that will be great any help is excellent.....

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The late Foe was gonna be offered a 2 year contract by Pompey, Harry was gonna call him after the game and offer him th contract.

BTW My Uncle has met Harry Redknapp a few times they both are memebers of the same leisure club in Bournemouth.

TRD

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yep i see that on the TV Redknapp was well cut up about it and Foe would have been a great signing for Portsmouth as he was a very good player...

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Teddy Sheringham signed for Portsmouth on Monday and revealed it was the 'lure of the Barclaycard Premiership' which made him opt for life on the south coast next season.

The 37-year-old former England striker signed a one-year deal after being released by Tottenham and became Harry Redknapp's fourth arrival of the summer.

Sheringham had offers from clubs in England and on the Continent, but chose Pompey because he believes he can still do a job at the top level.

"I had a very nice offer from a First Division club and I was very tempted because I was very impressed with them," said Sheringham.

"But it was the lure of playing in the Premiership which brought me here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join