It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving a Zombie Outbreak

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a good choice for a pistol is the Walther p-22. it is a .22 cal. weapon,mixed with a silencer and .22 "super quiet" colbri ammunition it is less the 25Db

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valadimirdraov
a good choice for a pistol is the Walther p-22. it is a .22 cal. weapon,mixed with a silencer and .22 "super quiet" colbri ammunition it is less the 25Db

Wouldn't do much damage, and I've heard that it's accuracy at a distance is minimal. However, if Bond used one, there must be a reason.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is a great post
I guess my question would be thus: Why use any close range/melee weapon? supposing it is a virus that is the cause for the zombie's, wouldn't having any kind of blood or any other bodily fluid spatter be a BAD thing? hitting them at close range with a bat or sword or gun would be pretty much suicidal wouldn't it? I would prefer to pick them off at a distance with a nice high powered rifle if possible and if they got that close to me where I would have to dispatch them hand to hand, First I would probably crap my pants, then try running. The close combat would only be a last resort.

I found this on Machinima.com from the "REDvsBLUE" guys at Roosterteeth. Pretty funny way of looking at the hole zombie issue.

Planning to fail

[edit on 17-3-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

I showed that to my wife, who subsequently choked on her starbucks.

We do actually sit around and discuss our ultimate "zombie plan" while playing Halo 3.

Mine involves an underground bunker, a moat of acid, and attack grizzlies.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Oooh thats a good one
I'm still working on mine...of course my wife thinks its just silly. Won't she be surprised when they come crashing through the window.....but then again she would probably still not believe

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
hitting them at close range with a bat or sword or gun would be pretty much suicidal wouldn't it? I would prefer to pick them off at a distance with a nice high powered rifle if possible and if they got that close to me where I would have to dispatch them hand to hand, First I would probably crap my pants, then try running. The close combat would only be a last resort.

And you pretty much have it right there. I don't know about you, but if a Zombie attack were to start tomorrow, I know I wouldn't have a high powered rifle to pick the zombies off at a distance.

That's what these things are all about. Surviving with what you have at hand. And yes, crapping your pants and running is always the first course of action. You NEVER put yourself in undue danger or risk if you don't have to. If you can run, then run as far and as fast as you can. If you can't, and you're cornered, cover your face and eyes, and start swinging with whatever Melee weapon you can find.

Or hide and pray that someone distracts them long enough for you to get out and escape.

Just thought I'd post this Zombie Survival Quiz again just in case you guys missed it.
www.onemorelevel.com...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Just a quick question to anyone who could propose an explanation for me.

What do zombies actually feed on and why?

My understanding is that zombies don't actually feed on flesh, but rather attack humans to spread the virus. With that being said, what would be the point in the zombies killing "prey?" Would the circulatory not cease to function quickly enough to possibly stop the virus from reaching the brain of the new corpse? In that case could the virus really spread from zombie to dead human fast enough to add to the hordes? I'm assuming the zombies don't know when to stop attacking their victims, so in that case if the person dies from blood loss and wounds before the virus can affect them then they would not become a zombie. Also, the human body cannot last very long without water and food. With that being said, why are zombies able to survive without water and nutrients? I realize they lack a functioning circulatory system and only a partially functioning respiratory system (just for moaning at prey and alerting fellow undead army members), but wouldn't their muscular anatomy fail even faster than the proposed "years?" Humans cannot last more than a few weeks without water and proper nutrients, why are zombies able to? I suppose they have a much slower metabolism or something, but even with that, they would still need a supply of proteins and fats at the very least, otherwise their bodies will eat their muscles, which may exponentially decrease their ability to even shuffle in straight lines. Unless the virus somehow prevents nutrient deficiency from being an issue, I don't really perceive a zombie outbreak as being a major problem for more than a month or two, tops, as opposed to the years others have proposed.

If any of you could answer the questions I buried in my post I'd love to see what explanations you guys have for the ability of zombies to thrive without retaining at least some of their former human necessities.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cpt. Monty
Just a quick question to anyone who could propose an explanation for me.

What do zombies actually feed on and why?

but wouldn't their muscular anatomy fail even faster than the proposed "years?" Humans cannot last more than a few weeks without water and proper nutrients, why are zombies able to?

The answer is simple; they need to feed on humans in order to support their faltering bio-organic systems.

Now, i recognise that this sounds as if i'm giving zombies a purpose for existence, but hear me out;

Zombies, just like normal humans, are subject to necrosis - you will never see a zombie feeding on a corpse that is in an advanced stage of necrosis.

Hench why they go after the live ones - who are full of juicy flesh and organs, vital to keeping the zombie automation working - it's also important for them to feed on human flesh in order for the virus to reproduce.

Indeed, i have read accounts of humans covering themselves in zombie flesh (being EXTREMILY careful not to become infected) in order to slip past a swarm unnoticed.

Put simply, zombies need to feed on human flesh for the same reason we need to feed on normal foodstuffs, except that zombies can ONLY sustain the solonium or w/e viral agent they're using by feeding on human flesh.

If the viral agent dies, the zombie dies.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Cpt. Monty

Zombies don't actually exist.

That's like asking what the biological functions of the Rock Biter from The Neverending Story are. Just play along will ya?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm just saying that under those conditions a human body would have trouble coping with the extreme lack of nutrients and water. And I am assuming that zombies are real for the sake of this thread, and the questions are asked were for the sake of gaining knowledge about the zombies that are assumed to be real, and not a fictional entity. I would still appreciate any feasible answers to my questions, keeping in mind that zombies are real, for the sake of discussion.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cpt. Monty

But that's exactly why in most zombie movies it's never explained where the zombie phenomena comes from (except for Return of the Living Dead in which 245 Trioxin was the culprit). Attempting to rationalize it is like attempting to rationalize Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees.

A level of suspension of disbelief is necessary.

But yes, you're right. Zombies don't have a circulatory system. Their musculature should be useless, and a disembodied zombie head should not be able to survive, yet it does in most zombie flicks.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

• Zombies have very infectuous bodily fluids. True
  • Zombies do not breathe. WRONG, the use muscles, muscles use oxygen, they breathe.
  • Zombies feel no pain. Most Likely
  • Zombies lack the ability to use items (tools, weapons, door handles, etc). Possible
  • Zombies are emotionless. Most Likely
  • Zombies can only be "killed" by destroying the brain. No blood = No Oxygen = No move = Starve = Dead.
  • Zombies are not susceptable to "holy items" or "prayer". Uhm... Nothing is.
  • Zombies will alert other zombies through their moans and wails. Possible
  • Zombies do not heal. Most likely
  • Zombies are poor climbers. Most likely
  • Zombies are relatively slow due to poor muscle coordination. Most Likely
  • Zombies do not appear to use their circulatory system. Muscles use oxygen, therefore the do use it.
  • Zombies appear to repulse almost all living creatures (including bacteria). They don't repulse anything, they just want food.
  • Zombies never fear. Most likely.

• I fixed those facts a little. Zombies have to breath, or else they could not move. Muscles use oxygen, if they didn't they would burn the mess off of the tissue. They would rot within an hour of moving if it were that way. Zombies breath, or they would just fall down and re-dye of starvation.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:05 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Toadking

Why do people insist on inserting real world biological facts to zombies? Nothing about them could exist in real life!!

And no, zombies don't need to breathe. Zombies with missing lungs and gaping chest cavities are common. Not only that, but entire armies of zombies have walked underwater for huge distances to get to to their food source.

So Zombies don't need to breathe.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:15 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Toadking

They get oxygen from consuming human flesh.

*kills self with bit of string before getting carried away*

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:06 PM
    link   
    If you are basing zombies on the movies, then you will be one of the first to die. Consuming a human will only give so much energy. Zombies with lungs that are missing/punctured, would maybe move for a few seconds off of the chemical energy that is left, and die.

Oxygen is used for the BRAIN.

So no oxygen = dead brain = dead zombie.

Zombies must breath, or they would not exist.

Basing Real Life zombies off of movies is a sure way of underestimating or overestimating what they are actually capable of.

What if the "virus" that would infect humans was actually just a parasite?

Emerald Cockroach Wasps paralyze the cockroach and take control of it's brain. Then it drives it back to it's lair, and lays eggs in it.

What if a parasite like they evolved, and got in some beaf or something?

Movies Lie.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:56 PM
    link   
    Boat it..... Zombies cant swim..... Islands ? lol manmade waterworld types untill we nuke everything and live in radioactive evercrappy hell.....

I would invest in stilts and use a acid gun....

Or Moon shoes and a body load of hand grenades....

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
    link   
    I work with a guy and we have discussed what we will do in the event of a zombie invasion and think we have a pretty good plan

First off I live way up in Northern Minnesota. I believe if there is a zombie invasion it will start in a large area and then spread out. If this happens it will allow me, and others, an ever greater chance of survival.

First thing to do is raid the local grocery store while others get other basic supplies ready - blankets, lights, batteries, weapons, medicine whatever they need. I believe in our small town when news of such an outbreak was occurring most people would ban together which means food and other supplies would be free

Second thing to do is go to the local high school to create a fortress. Doors would be chain locked and then welded. Windows would get excess chain link/wire fencing to make sure the dead can't get through them on ground level. This will of course take a little jury rigged engineering but I believe it can be done. Depending on how much time is available dictates how fortified the place gets

The third thing to be done is inventory our resources to see what we have. Weapons and ammo will be collected and issued to the security people. Food will go to a storage area where it will be monitored and rationed

Once all of the fortifying and that has been dune the fun begins. If time the ball fields and football fields have their fences reinforced (this will be used for farming later if need be). Squads will be set up based on the skills of individuals - snipers, guards, medical, searchers. Searchers will travel to other areas for survivors/resources.

Squads that leave the base will be issued armor. Right now I am thinking of using heavy fireman’s coats but I will have to do some tests on what works best

If the zombies are not in my area yet the local plant will also be fortified. This will be able to provide us power as well as a port in case some survivors are on a ship.

Using the environment and other resources we will create an area that causes the Z’s to funnel incase ammo eventually runs out so we can use swords and other weapons to lower their numbers. Survival is not the goal - kill all zombies is

If the zombies attack sooner and there isn’t time the plan is basically the same. Get food, fortify school anyway possible and go from there

Problems that may come up. I think boredom would be the number one problem if the place is fortified. I can see people becoming restless which leads to dissent and causing people to feel trapped and/or feel like they didn’t prepare enough. Despair would be death

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    link   
    Hello, I've been lurking the thread for a while, and being a person who actually has drawn up plans for such a thing [The plans for a zombie outbreak are not too different from plans for surviving a foreign invasion so it is practical to make plans and then put small differences for the later scenario.] but I'd like to pose a question to you. What if the zombies are not virus controlled, but parasite (parasites usually are more responsible for emotion and behavior changes in organic beings) controlled. Or even worse, the nano-bot scenario.

Also for those who are interested;
    Five reasons that a Zombie apocalypse is plausible.

enjoy.

-Dr_Jihad

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:36 AM
    link   
    Here is the ideal place to hold out as long as you have the food.

www.palmerstonforts.org.uk...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:47 AM
    link   
    My Z survival plan involves going to the prison that is within a mile. This is because it's got nearly everything for survival.
    -Large concrete walls and reinforced doors to keep Z's out
    It's a Prison, there's only one way in that I know of and that is made of heavy metal doors and can be barricaded. If the zombies get inside the prison grounds, you can still back inside to the holding area. Heavy doors, metal bars.
    -Open ground for farming and other uses
    -Weapons and armor inside
    The prison doesn't have many guns but it has different melee weapons and Riot Armor, So even if the zombies get in you can have a front line of shields shoving them back and a further back line armed with short ranged weapons, such a sharpened poles, This shields also hold back the fluids from the Z's.
    -Population
    Sure, they may be prisoners but they will be the most prepared to deal with the Z's, they are strong, some are already killers and so won't deal with the shock of killing Z's.
    -Electricity
    This is a problem for most situations but I know of several places to get solar cells and I know how to set them up, giving us a way to have electricity, combined with the generator already in the prison. This opens several different options.
    -Guns
    There aren't guns in the prison that I know about, but with the Defense plan I made there isn't much need for guns, after all all they do is attract more zombies.

Secondary Plan
    Stay in my house with my family, This consists of four people. We can lock the heavy front doors and move all supplies upstairs. The most vulnerable entrance should hold for about 10 minutes and needs steps to climb up into. Then, three people move all tools that they can upstairs from the garage. The fourth keeps watch to make sure no zombies are already in the house.Then we can destroy the stairs and use a rope ladder down a small deck in my parent's room or out onto the lower level roof from my window, or another window. With the food currently in the house we should be able to hold out for about two weeks for food. For water we have two water beds filled with pure water - no chemicals, I filled it myself - This should hold out for about a month. If the water is still on after we are safely upstairs, we fill up all containers with water including the sinks and bathtub. This gives us more water.
    To hold off the zombies for supply runs we have several aluminum bats, a crowbar, several hammers, and several different metal bars. We could remove the planks from the deck for more weapons if we need them. Then, have a painters pole that is minimum range about 5 feet and max about 50. If we only have a few zombies outside, we can use it from the lower roof or the windows to whack zombies in the head with force. Aiming it is a bit tough but, if you added a heavy stone or metal object you could easily destroy a skull. With a two different grocery stores within a mile we could try and raid some supplies from them if we get desperate for food.

Escape Plan

There is a lower roof that is close enough to several large trees that you can climb on them. Then you can climb to more trees and keep going to my neighbors house. It is a fairly large forested area that goes near a creek that is within 200 feet of my house and every house on this side of the street. This allows us access to many houses in the area for supplies and we could end up around half a mile away from the house with the supplies in it in three directions.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join