It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decided it was time to buy an AK

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply

I'm not sure we're 'foisting' our ways on the US (I think you over-estimate our capacities).

We just do things differently (and we're certainly not homogeneous) and speak up as our societies become increasingly more 'American' as we all live in your empire now. That's all.

If a bit of our way of doing things are at least considered then maybe it can take the edge of some of the more hard aspects of American society (personally I can't imagine a world without a National Health Service or a Welfare State but each to their own).

Obviously when you're living in our empire (or we're all in the Chinese Empire) things will be foisted on you but until then it's just friendly advice.

Can't help you with the Californication I'm afraid, if it's any consolation many of us find them incredibly annoying too.

Yeah a friend has promised me a day + an AK + 500 rounds in the jungle so I'll be playing VC for the day
. (NB this will be ABROAD - JIC MI-6 are watching!!) May also seek out an RPG-7 when I'm over the border but only firing at oil drums etc - not the cow thing!

Glad we agree on the AK/hunting thing - it's hardly a one shot/one kill weapon

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Actually an AK is relatively good as a deer hunting rilfe, we've used the caliber here for decades, problem is finding 3-round mags that you need to hunt legally

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The AK, is indeed good for deer hunting if needed, although there are much better choices in my opinion, such as a good Ruger bolt rifle.hehe
In other words, if I were to go buy a deer rifle-ity would NOT be an AK.

But as for the AK-47, or correctly, the AKM, it is my opinion that it is outdated. I find the AK-74 or the Polish Tantal, or AIMS-74Romanian to be the best of assault weapons, even more-so than the m-16 or m-4.
I have a m-92 Yugoslavian "Krinkov" that is nice, and shoots well, but I still prefer the Tantal I have.
The AKMS-which means "silenced", does serve as a good silenced weapon, with more knock-down.
But, I would not waste money on one of the cheap AKM look-alikes on the market today. I would spend a little more and get a AK-74 variant.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
NEVER buy AK, it sucks!! Only terrorists and the poor use it!

Spend a few bucks more and get an AR-15. They are legal in almost all the states. Otherwise find out where the nearest gun fair is and go there. Damn paper work and ATF people are a pain. This is choice number 1.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You can get a ak-74 for the same price as a AR-15, and the 74' is a much better combat weapon in my opinion. There are newer varieties of the 74', but they are small improvements, like different stocks, etc., and the basics are the same. A lot of Americans are buying AR-15's, because that is what the troops use, and this is the gusto behind it, but their are U.S. troops in Iraq now, that would tell you they would rather have a AKM or a 74'. I read somewhere that some troops have been busted by officers for carrying them instead of the m-4. Can't remember the source, or I'd link it.
The fact is, that the AK, was designed to be cheap, and simple, but yet, durable. That is the brilliance behind it. Even if you don't carry or own an ak, you should still be able to know how to use one, and clean it, etc., because thats the thing about ak's, if you lose your personal gun anywhere, there's almost always an ak to grab somewhere. Maybe not in the U.S., but anywhere else...hehe-yep

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingTiger

The fact is, that the AK, was designed to be cheap, and simple, but yet, durable. That is the brilliance behind it. Even if you don't carry or own an ak, you should still be able to know how to use one, and clean it, etc., because thats the thing about ak's, if you lose your personal gun anywhere, there's almost always an ak to grab somewhere. Maybe not in the U.S., but anywhere else...hehe-yep

I would be very hard pressed to debate against this point King Tiger has made about the AK series of weapons.
Eventually ...though I have no ambition to own one, I will have to shoot one and learn how to take one down. I am thinking they take down very similar to a SKS....is this correct??

Orangetom

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Actually an AK is relatively good as a deer hunting rilfe, we've used the caliber here for decades, problem is finding 3-round mags that you need to hunt legally

You folks use this caliber for hunting or this series of rifles..for hunting?? I'm not sure as to exactly which you are making reference. I know some here in the states use this caliber for hunting with sporting ammunition capable of proper expansion. The SKS type rifle or the Ruger ranch rifle in 7.62x39mm is the one I hear used the most.
As I recall the velocity of this ammunition is not as high as much of todays calibers so popular in sporting circles. However...people hunted going back to the black powder cartridge days with calibers which did not have this kind of velocity either. 25-20 caliber..32-20 etc ..not particulary large bullets or high velocitys and yet brought home game.

I have never believed that super fast screaming burning velocitys are what is needed to put meat on the table. I never quite understood how the gun and ammunition makers can sell people on this as a working philosophy when our ancestors put meat on the table for years before all this high tech.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

A lot of Americans are buying AR-15's, because that is what the troops use, and this is the gusto behind it, but their are U.S. troops in Iraq now, that would tell you they would rather have a AKM or a 74'. I read somewhere that some troops have been busted by officers for carrying them instead of the m-4.

Americans buy ARs because they are an accurate weapon system that can be easily modified to several variation. You can change from a macth grade upper reciever with a 20 inch free float barrel that you use for competion to the little 16inch barreled upper with picatinney rails that you use for impressing your friends at the range, and it takes about 30 seconds and two pins to make this change.

When the military switched to the M9 Berretta, Americans did not go out and buy Berrettas, we stuck with the trusty old 1911 colt 45. So there is another arguement about you statements.

When I was in the Army I would have preferred an AK over the M16 in a close combat situation. The Ak does not require the cleaning and car of the M16-A1s that I used. For a long range gun fight I would much rather have the M16s due to there accuracy over the AKs. I cannot speak about the new generation of M4s and M16s. I dont have any expierience with them.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

A lot of Americans are buying AR-15's, because that is what the troops use, and this is the gusto behind it, but their are U.S. troops in Iraq now, that would tell you they would rather have a AKM or a 74'. I read somewhere that some troops have been busted by officers for carrying them instead of the m-4. Can't remember the source, or I'd link it.

Few troops have been busted carring AK's instead of the M16's. Not the M4's! Only officers, tank crews and Spec Ops etc use it.

The 74 is also a waste of money, it still has the same action as the 47 and there is nothing substantially superior to the 47.

Also the AR-15 is different from the Colt M-4's in the fact that the M4's can fix the M203 and the AR cannot, not to mention the different manufacturers .

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
where can you buy a ak-47 i had a link but he got caught with drugs.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
hmmm i much rather buy a tec9 there easier to carry ,less power but i dont know i like tec9's better

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Originally posted by C0le
Congrats, Arsenal makes some of the best AK variants money can buy, Youll have lots of fun with it =)

I myself own Three AK type weapons, AKM, AMD-65 and an SLR-106FR, aka a AK-101 clone, Soon to be four, the fourth being a Saiga 12

Vector AMD-65, Vector AKM, ARSENAL SLR-106FR

Vector AKM (7.62x39)

Vector AMD-65 (7.62x39)

Arsenal Inc. SLR-106FR (5.56x45 NATO)

As for being good for hunting, the 7.62x39 cartidge is not much diff then that of the 3030, I think when alot of people think AK + hunting they associate putting a 30 round mag in a deer, which is simply not the case, when ya hunt with any semi auto, most states require a limit of 5 round mags, Same goes for the AK, its no different then hunting with ANY other semi automatic rifle,
Infact theres a company who puts out Kalashnikov type rifles just for hunting which feature, traditional type stocks. its know as the Saiga line of rifles

www.raacfirearms.com...

Heh to all AK owners, who get the whole "what do you need that for, you cant use it for hunting" line, just link em to this site, itll shut em up pretty fast.

Its also always funny, to show them a traditional pistol griped AK with high cap mags, and then show em the saiga rifles, they will always say the saigas are ok not knowing they are both AK type weapons, amazing what Cosmetic change can do to ones opinions.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
delete

[edit on 21-12-2006 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999 Eventually ...though I have no ambition to own one, I will have to shoot one and learn how to take one down. I am thinking they take down very similar to a SKS....is this correct??

Orangetom

Orangetom

They are broadly similar. The SKS has the swivelling catch at the side of the receiver cover for take-down where the AK has a push button (looks like a hammer at the back of the receiver cover) which is actually an extension of the spring loaded op rod. The bolt is tiny compared to an SKS and slots into a circular sleeve on the bolt carrier as opposed to the huge angled locking lug which mate the 2 together on the SKS bolt and bolt carrier. The front gas tube comes off the exact same way on both rifles. The thing that really surprised me about disassembling the AK was the was the gas piston and bolt carrier all come out as one long piece - it looks and feels as if it should come apart, but it doesn't.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
First this:

Originally posted by Strangerous

our system weeds out the rambos and firepower junkies. We know we don't live in a movie!

now this:

Originally posted by Strangerous
Yeah a friend has promised me a day + an AK + 500 rounds in the jungle so I'll be playing VC for the day . (NB this will be ABROAD - JIC MI-6 are watching!!) May also seek out an RPG-7 when I'm over the border but only firing at oil drums etc - not the cow thing!

I figured him as a wannabee right from his first post.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by Retseh]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh yeah!

The difference is I'm just doing it for experience and to add to what I've fired. I don't need an assault gun to justify my existence.

I figured you for someone who knows nothing about very little, so far you haven't disappointed - as witnessed by your posting lies and failing to acknowledge it.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
You serve no purpose in this thread, other than to annoy and harass American posters.

You know nothing about the weapon in question beyond what you can read on the Internet, you are not allowed to own such weapons in your own country and would not know the bolt carrier from the gas port if one was to fall on your essentially unused head.

You criticize the right of Americans to own semi automatic rifles in one worthless breath, and yet declare a desire to shoot them with the next, adding hypocrite to your lengthy list of shortcomings.

Your posts are childish and immature, and seem subject to wild swings in temperament and viewpoint (see previous). Jokes that a 4 year old could understand fly right over your head - all in all, strong signs of adolescence and a lot of skipped classes.

You have contributed absolutely no technical knowledge or personal experience to this thread, and you are, in short, useless.

Stay out of my threads in future.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Get over yourself.

1. We can have firearms as I've told you a number of times and proved. Evidence you've completely ignored.

2. I haven't criticised Americans rights at all - I've questioned the motives of people like you

3. I've criticised your suitability to own as you clearly can't distinguish fact from what goes on in your little head and you're obviously unstable

4. Humour - you must point that out to me - was that your first or second lie, your first or second attack?

5. Hmm education standards - want to compare certificates?

6. As for training well I've been trained by the best Army in the World - you?

Your other posts have clearly shown you have an anger issue / chips on your shoulders / a racist anti-Brit attitude.

I'm glad I don't live in a country where people like you are entrusted with lethal force. the thought of you with an assualt rifle is deeply worrying - sure your neighbours would agree.

I've passed the requirement to possess in the UK, you'd fail at the first hurdle.

Grow up

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
AK's sound cool (except maybe when the rounds are slapping around you) but for an effective weapen spend your money on something in the AR family. Take some time to learn how to shoot it and you'll be better off than with a spray and pray AK.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Bad accuracy in AK's is a myth sort off.. Due to the heavy bolt and the way the AK is designed, in full automatic firing, the thing just gets thrown all around, however, in semi automatic fire, the gun is quite manageable, and depending on its origin, can be just as accurate as any "standard" AR.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join