It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jewish man removed from airplane for praying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Some fellow passengers are questioning why an Orthodox Jewish man was removed from an Air Canada Jazz flight in Montreal last week for praying.

The man was a passenger on a Sept. 1 flight from Montreal to New York City when the incident happened.

The airplane was heading toward the runway at the Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport when eyewitnesses said the Orthodox man began to pray.

"He was clearly a Hasidic Jew," said Yves Faguy, a passenger seated nearby. "He had some sort of cover over his head. He was reading from a book.

"He wasn't exactly praying out loud but he was lurching back and forth," Faguy added.
cbc.ca

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is almost as worse as the kid with the t-shirt, or the two brown people being kicked off a plane for not talking english. I mean, a Hasidic Jew for crying out loud! If any plane was landing, a little prayer from the 'Chosen People' wouldn't hurt!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
He's radical. People should be worried about people like that. Just my two cents.

Even if he had no intention to do any harm. Hes a religious zealot who attracts trouble.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This is obviously a case of the "Seperation of Church and Flight".

Seriouly, I can see where complaints would come from though. There are many people that fear flying and a person "praying" is not the most comfortable thing that one could envision when you're in flight. I see where they are coming from but really, this is a joke. Take a prozac and enjoy the film. If it's 2 years old, it'll be better than the food.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I can imagine at this particular time of year somone praying like he did might raise some eyebrows especially flying into New York.

I was on a plane a few weeks ago sitting next to a women i did`nt know,at take off she brought out her Bible and started praying,i hate flying as well and i`m a Christian and her doing so did`nt make me feel any better at all.

Edit to add
AHH you beat me to it Intrepid

[edit on 12-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
We can't start bailing off of planes everytime a devote person offers a prayer.
Do you want to spend your life being afraid ?
If so, they win.

People would better spend their time watching out for Nuns with guns......

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
We can't start bailing off of planes everytime a devote person offers a prayer.
Do you want to spend your life being afraid ?
If so, they win.

Nah AD, it's simipler than that. Some folks are just damn scared of flying period. Have you read about Jeff O'Neill, Maple Leaf? He was actually going to retire so that he wouldn't have to fly again. A LOT of people have this fear. Having ANYONE praying on a plane is going to bother you. Irrational? To you and me maybe but to someone with that fear? See what I mean?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
When I have flown in Latin America, and Spain as well, the passengers applaud when the plane lands. Now that's scary!

(I assume that they are congratulating the pilot, a polite gesture, not the fact that the plane actually landed. I hope anyway!)

[edit on 12-9-2006 by curme]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Well it was suspicious activity so they were right to do it.

He was a dumbass to start doing it in the 1st place. What else did he think would happen?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

He was a dumbass to start doing it in the 1st place. What else did he think would happen?

This is nuts imo. It wouldn't fly in the States, with the "freedom of speech", etc. Why is this acceptable in Canada?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
When I have flown in Latin America, and Spain as well, the passengers applaud when the plane lands.

i know exactly how they feel

This guy that was praying was rocking back and forward whilst doing so and if other passengers were`nt familiar with that i`m sure it would be a bit unnerving for most.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Yeah, gotta watch those religious people, especially when they start suspicious activities like existing and praying. Next thing you know, they're feeling divine reassurance or something.

Seriously, your comment is off the mark. I doubt he thought anything would happen, was probably just asking God for faith or strength.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It wouldn't fly in the States, with the "freedom of speech", etc. Why is this acceptable in Canada?
Theres is no freedom of speech in the US, havent you noticed that yet?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It wouldn't fly in the States, with the "freedom of speech", etc. Why is this acceptable in Canada?
Theres is no freedom of speech in the US, havent you noticed that yet?

Yup, I'm encouraged that you are noticing it.

VOTE!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia
Yeah, gotta watch those religious people, especially when they start suspicious activities like existing and praying. Next thing you know, they're feeling divine reassurance or something.

Seriously, your comment is off the mark. I doubt he thought anything would happen, was probably just asking God for faith or strength.
I doubt anything would have happened but would you take the chance for the sake of political correctness?

All the hijackers were praying as they slammed into the WTC, it would look very suspicious if he was doing the same.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Flyer]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
People are very skittish these days. Anything that is a little out of the ordinary will set them into fits of near panic and hysteria. This is the result of the scare tactics that our governments are applying through false alarms and propaganda. Terrorism is being spread through the media by our governments.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I don't know how many people have lived with Hasidic Jews, but they do that walking down the street. They walk and read the Talmud, and rock back and forth. On the subway, they read and rock back and forth.

I think cultural understanding is the key to living in today's climate, but it seems that there is a push towards ignorance, which breeds fear.

I mean, how many Indian Sikhs have been confused with Muslims, and molested as a result?

But I iam guilty of religious misunderstandings as well. I try to be tolerant, but everytime I see a Christian praying before they eat, I think, "Who in the Hell are they talking to? And why don't they pray before they eat snacks?"

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I doubt anything would have happened but would you take the chance for the sake of political correctness?

All the hijackers were praying as they slammed into the WTC, it would look very suspicious if he was doing the same.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Flyer]

Political correctness, more like common sense...if you wanna brush PC totally aside, ok we'll go with that. Muslims hijack planes and blow 'em up while praying. Not Jews.

I agree, it would look suspicious if a praying Jew were slamming planes into buildings. But that isn't the case here.

EDIT:

I think cultural understanding is the key to living in today's climate, but it seems that there is a push towards ignorance, which breeds fear.

Well said curme.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Astygia]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I think we should distance ourselves from the whole religion aspect, I don't think the fact he was praying made passengers wary, rather the fact he was rocking backwards and forwards. I for one would be put off as the actions of rocking are a human response to being scared or extremely nervous, a subconscious reaction, hence various tapes showing executions, often the hostages rock back and fourth caused by fear or nerves.

The passengers supposidly knew he was Jewish and the Jews pose little risk in suicide bombings. IMO I think religion has nothing to do with the incident. Infact I am fairly pleased, not for the man, but many members have stated that young Asisn Muslims are being targetted and victimised, this shows it isn't all one sided.
I'm sure if I got on board a flight and started rocking to myself I would put others off, it annoys me when people add religion or creed onto the matter straight away without looking at the context the situation is and was.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
any man who rocks back and forth while praying to false gods is insane and should never be trusted.. The same goes for anyone else who acts like that.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
any man who rocks back and forth while praying to false gods is insane and should never be trusted.. The same goes for anyone else who acts like that.

I would take that as an insult, except that I've noticed you pretty much dont' subscribe to any religion, correct?

As to the rocking back and forth thing, guess I overlooked that. That would make me uncomfortable, but aren't there better ways to handle things? This kinda sends the message "no religion on planes".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join