It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jewish man removed from airplane for praying

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
It's stuff like this that let you know

Your racism has gone too far.

And you know, if this guy was a muslim, this wouldn't have even made it to the news.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Syrian Sister]

And if it HAD been a Muslim you would have been screaming racism yet again.

Give it a rest, this is getting boring. Better yet, make a cogent point.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia
Political correctness, more like common sense...if you wanna brush PC totally aside, ok we'll go with that. Muslims hijack planes and blow 'em up while praying. Not Jews.

I agree, it would look suspicious if a praying Jew were slamming planes into buildings. But that isn't the case here.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Astygia]
yeah but are all the security personnel trained to know one type of praying from another?

I can totally see why this happened because it was suspicious behaviour.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Flyer]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Gotta disagree with you Gaz, this is Canada, no rednecks here, BUT this is the "Land of the Great PC". Hell, we're as diverse as any country in the world. This has been blown WAY out of proportion here at ATS. I'll wager the issue is settled already, if B'ria Brith(sp) is willing to let it go.

Oh, I'm well aware. You guys are pretty laid back... I flew to Canada quite often on business (a lot of Sikhs in the Vancouver area too, so you can imagine the feeling against turbans post 9/11..)

One is certainly free to disagree, and I certainly would've known exactly what he was doing (and therefore not been alarmed), but I can't speak for others' impression of what they see...and that's just it. Even in laid back Canada, he obviously made SOMEONE nervous.

I don't think this guy was doing anything other than trying to comfort himself, hell(sorry, no pun intended), that's what religion is for. Frightened to fly, seek your god.

I agree, but it can be done when NOT ON THE PLANE. Or, it can be done in a manner that isn't going to make others nervous. Would a Pentacostal get to dance with a rattler and speak in tongues before a flight? Nope... Religious freedom is one thing, but on a plane, the will of the many is going to sometimes infringe on the rights of the one. Passengers should always be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others, and behave accordingly. Keep it subdued, or suffer the occassional inconvenience...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Keep it subdued, or suffer the occassional inconvenience...

I don't think anyone has ever encapsulated Canada so well.

Bottom line on this guy is that I think this guy was totally scared of flying, he handled it in the only way he could. He searched his Higher Power(damn you AA). He wasn't thinking about how he was going to be percieved, he was scared. I don't get it, I LOVE flying BUT that's just me.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I registered just to reply to this thread.

I agree, but it can be done when NOT ON THE PLANE. Or, it can be done in a manner that isn't going to make others nervous. Would a Pentacostal get to dance with a rattler and speak in tongues before a flight? Nope... Religious freedom is one thing, but on a plane, the will of the many is going to sometimes infringe on the rights of the one. Passengers should always be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others, and behave accordingly. Keep it subdued, or suffer the occassional inconvenience...

This man had no resposibility to make the other passengers feel comfortable.

If I were in his shoes, I would be Irate. Who gives people the right to dictate to others how their religion should be practiced. This man had a right to pray in whatever way he saw fit as long as he didn't infringe upon the rights of the other passengers. The perception of security is not an inailienable right, it is a perception.

As a man of color, I may make other passengers on planes uncomfortable merely by my presence. Does the fact that a majority of the passengers feel uncomfortable because of my appearance warrent foul treatment? No. This is bigotry in my opinion.

The man was a Hasidic Jew, not a rabid coyote and his rocking back and forth was his perogative. I WILL not let an airline treat me in this manner and the fact that some of you folks believe he was in the wrong shows is deeply troubling.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I think cultural understanding is the key to living in today's climate, but it seems that there is a push towards ignorance, which breeds fear.

You hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has ever taken a basic world religions class would know that this guy, bobbing his head back and forth, was harmlessly praying and wasn't bothering anybody else... he was minding his own business. I absolutely hate flying and I don't currently fly... but if I ever did and saw a man like that, I'd think nothing of it. Anyone who does has something wrong with them.

"Can't trust them... religious zealot..." LOL. And people wonder why Americans are constantly made fun of... we are a collective of uneducated dolts. Not that I'm surprised.... a third of all Americans either don't finish high school or don't finish on time.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by firebat]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It's stuff like this that let you know

Your racism has gone too far.

And you know, if this guy was a muslim, this wouldn't have even made it to the news.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Syrian Sister]

If this guy had been a muslim he would probably have ended up detained indefinitely at Uncle Sams pleasure in an ilegal loophole camp like Gitmo after being extradited from Canada.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by neformore]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This just goes to show the ridiculousness and paranoia of some people. A Lebanese guy was taken off of a flight because he had arabic writing on his shirt which was written in 3 different languages off a Jet Blue flight, because people were paranoid. Welcome to the new age where if someone doesn't like your looks or if you act different, or if you wear a shirt that someone doesn't like, you are gonna be taken in for questioning. Welcome to Bush country.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I have a comment about

And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 's

comment about the man being a radical..those are his beliefs, yes he attracts attention but just because he begins to pray does not mean that people should consider him some sort of threat...

just MY two cents.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by fizzlepink
I have a comment about

And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 's

comment about the man being a radical..those are his beliefs, yes he attracts attention but just because he begins to pray does not mean that people should consider him some sort of threat...

just MY two cents.

Just a comment on this, the man in question wasn't a radical, just like the guy in Pieman's example was not a radical. Foreign custom does not = radical.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think that pretty much sums up the problem here.

It seems that there are now some people who view ANYTHING different from their own personal customs to be radical or even wrong.

If people are nervous because someone else is praying, or because of writing on someone's shirt, or because of someone's turban or whatever, then it's time for people to get educated.

The fear comes from being ignorant. I'm not saying I expect everyone to go study the customs of every culture on earth. But for goodness sake... people are behaving like closed minded insensitive idiots now...

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
The fear comes from being ignorant. I'm not saying I expect everyone to go study the customs of every culture on earth. But for goodness sake... people are behaving like closed minded insensitive idiots now...

I dont think anybody is disputing this,except for this circumstance was on a plane around the time of 9/11 a plane on which i`m sure there would have been young children who may never have seen that type of praying before or even adults for that matter.

Why this guy guy could`nt pray whilst sitting still is`nt in my opinion asking to much for the comfort of others with the fear of planes and terrorists.I`d say it would have been common courtesy to others if he had.

People will always be ignorant of others thats a fact of life.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
No one can just right off the fact that this man's religion should not be pointed out in context to this conversation. Religion is the only reason we are even discussing this in the first place. Muslims are against Jews are against Christians are against everyone who isn't any of the above. It has caused more damage than it has prevented, and frankly, i think all of us Athiests with a lack of a "moral compass" should start a little jihad of our own.....

Seriously, if you equate religion or the lack thereof as the only moral guide available you are in no uncertain terms a complete and utter jackass.
I don't believe in your gods. So what? I know stealing is wrong, i know murder is wrong, etc. all with a complete lack of gods. How, i wonder, do i survive?
One word: HAPPILY

[edit on 13-9-2006 by DEATHKNELL]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Yes i would , and i'd be right it is based on racism , so what's your point?

this isn't the first time something like this has happened, an indian actress of the hindu faith was asked to leave the plane because a women got nervous at her middle easter looks, it just reflects a greater attitude of racial profiling that is prevelent in western nations today.

This guy wasn't stopped because people knew he was a jew, he was stopped because they thought he was a muslim ( muslims rock back and forth sometimes aswell, while reading the quran).

I don't know how a religious arguement started out of this. This has little to do with religions vs. athiesim, this is just plain racism and bigotry. Even if it was a communist that was kicked off the plane for reading marx, i'd still be screaming foul.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've neer been stopped or harrassed anywhere because i happen to be fair skinned and light haired, but i have friends that can tell you stories that will raise your hair on end.

That's what should be disgused here, how racism is plaguing the western world, especially in the oceanic countries.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Yes i would , and i'd be right it is based on racism , so what's your point?

This guy wasn't stopped because people knew he was a jew, he was stopped because they thought he was a muslim ( muslims rock back and forth sometimes aswell, while reading the quran).

You're joking, right? Even though I'm Canadian(where this happened), I can tell the difference between a Muslim and a Hasidic Jew. This guy wasn't a Muslim, so let's not try to play that game, m'kay?

That's what should be disgused here, how racism is plaguing the western world, especially in the oceanic countries.

Would you define "oceanic countries"?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I`m sure there were people on the plane that could`nt tell the difference,is probably why he was asked to stop i dont see it as a crime.I`ve heard of many people being kicked off planes for various reason,one a friend of mine because he was too loud after he`d had a few too many beers for the comfort of others.

this isn't the first time something like this has happened, an indian actress of the hindu faith was asked to leave the plane because a women got nervous at her middle easter looks,

Middle easter looks? what? she looked like ummm Saturday?.

Apologies i`m the last one who should make fun of typo`s

[edit on 13-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

[this isn't the first time something like this has happened, an indian actress of the hindu faith was asked to leave the plane because a women got nervous at her middle easter looks, it just reflects a greater attitude of racial profiling that is prevelent in western nations today.

3 days after 9/11 here in New York City they took a Siekh and dragged him from his car and beat him to a pulp because they thought he was a muslim. Some people have never even seen, nor do they know the difference.

Pie

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I can understand how a lot of people are afraid of flying & may want to utter a prayer for a safe flight (risk of a highjacking or not). What I don't understand is that there's a higher risk of fatal or crippling injury whenever you get into a car (as driver or passenger) & people don't get that scared nearly as often in a car!
After all, when you're in a plane, the pilot has 3D space to avoid other air traffic...But in a car, you only have 2D space to avoid all the other idiot drivers on the raod. Also, there's less traffic in the air than there is on the ground at any given time. This is why the chances of risk are lower in the air.

So...Does this mean that people are going to start kicking others out of their cars when their passengers start praying?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The devil couldn't be more pleased than to have people considered dangerous and a threat because they pray. If the fiend could he would make praying a crime.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My computer seems to have developed a stutter and keeps double posting. I wish we had a delete button.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by SkyWay]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join