It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EdenKaia

Losing the people you love isn't all bad. If people didn't die, you wouldn't appreciate the time you had with them. You wouldn't realize how importanat they really are.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I must agree with those who mention that watching your loved ones die would be terrible. It makes immortality seem such a curse. Humans are extremely social creatures in that we must have contact with one another in order to retain our sanity. Any long term isolation will drive us mad. That being said, if one was immortal they would essentially be alone forever. They could continue making friends and trying to love others, but to what avail? If you continually watched everyone you ever loved die, would you still try to create new relationships with others? Or, would the pain of all the losses eventually hinder the want to make new relationships? You would end up alone...and crazy. That doesn't seem much of an ideal lifestyle.

That being said, there is so much to learn in life and so many things to see. Sometimes it feels as if life is too short to acomplish all the things I want to do and learn. Just thinking of the vast amount of knowledge one could accumulate living for centuries...or even the things one could see.

But in the end, I do not think all the knowledge and history in the world could make up for the curse of living a solitary existance. I'll take my death thanks. Besides, if we lived forever, we would never know what happens next...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So what, if you lose the sense of life, little mortal.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

I want to be Immortal. I read all your posts and I still want to do it. firstly, I do believe in God, I just think if it is possible it will happen with his blessing and therefore I will still lead a good life. Then imagine all the new things that you will expericence. You will lose much, favourite places and buildings. You will lose all your freinds and family. If you make new family and friend you will lose them as well. You will even be able to see the end of your line. It is possible that you will become cold towards the world, but then you also have to think of the good. There is much to much knowledge to learn in one life time. Then there are also all the phisical joys, imagine if you can say that you climbed every mountain, you have WaLkEd everywhere, if you have swam all the the seas and oceans, if you know all the martial arts and so many many more things. You can become the expert at everything, your time making up for talent. You can become a professional sportman, because you will be in your prime forever, where as others only have a few short years. Also we are in the greatest age of advancment the world has yet seen, long before you have done all you can on Earth you will be able to begin your exploration of the cosmos. I would like to be here when the sun explodes, in a safe area of course. You will be rich, because you can invest in anything that slowly builds and then invest more and soon you will have unlimited funds. You can own and work in every line of work there is. if you are truly unkillable, you can do it without worry about dying. You can discover life and learn about all the cultures on this world and all the others. You can learn each and every language. There is just to much and it just gets more and more. These are only some of my thoughts on this matter. Reply and let me know what you think.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i' m still reading the posts i' m on page 4 and i find this subject very interesting and i think you all have some good points... i don't know if i would chose immortality but i would like to live longer and see the stars, but i also been wondering what happens if i die and i think it might be like the anime Bleach with the souls wondering around till you ether pass over or get sent to the soul society and you live there like you would here, if you have seen Bleach then you may know what i' m talking about.... sorry i went off topic....

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Eon Eagle]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
ok i just finished reading all the pages so i' m all cought up and i' m torn between living forever and seeing what happens when i die.... if i was immortal i would all ways be wondering what would happen if i die... for me seeing family and friends die is sad but it wouldn't be bad if friends and family die over an over being sad 4 em don't hurt... i could be immortal and not suffer like you all think sure there will be sad times and some boring times i could live through them if i get lonely ill get a pet or make a new friend.... but like i said be for ill always be wondering about death an what its like lol but i think i would chose immortality... sorry for the back to back posts

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hi

I hope you visit this thread from time to time and discover that I've replied to you

You present a very convincing argument - about what COULD be achieved, learned, experienced, by an immortal being.

Immortality does taste of "gong against the natural order of things", but that's not to say that it might not suit some people.

Do you think it will happen simply be leading "a good life"? I ask that question because I do know of someone who plans to be immortal (or die trying), and I will start a thread soon about him, because I'd really like to solicit the views of other members.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join