It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The only way I'd accept immortality is if there was enough of Life out there to keep me interested, and the means and methods to enjoy it to it's fullest.

People still think I'm in my early twenties even though I'm pushing 32.

Something to be said for extended life spans - imagine being in a situation where the elders ceased to age and you stayed a teenager.

Food for thought.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I would become immortal for the simple reason that I could live forever and know everything there ever was to know . Plus if you kill someone you can serve the life sentences

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
having the whole world being immortal would be good also. because if u couldnt die you wouldnt be a burden on society. u wouldnt need food. an you would have the time to invent spaced travel(or possible just go through space with just your clothes on.
there wouldnt be any world conspiracies like hiding the cure to cancer since no one would die from it.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
having the whole world being immortal would be good also. because if u couldnt die you wouldnt be a burden on society. u wouldnt need food. an you would have the time to invent spaced travel(or possible just go through space with just your clothes on.
there wouldnt be any world conspiracies like hiding the cure to cancer since no one would die from it.

There would also be overpopulation, which will cause a decrease in the standard of living. Would you like to spend eternity living like a medieval peasant? Or would you prefer to be alone and live like a KING DAMMIT???!!!???

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
yea but with imortality we could have more time to discover spacxe travel. an be sleeping on pluto. imortality mean we can spend 30 or 40 years going in space . we probablay be populatin every rocked surface in the system

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well if you took the stance that you were truly immortal in the fact that you could not be killed by any reasonable means ( kinda like Wolverine from X-men ) then I would have to say it would be awsome ! I have been in the Army for 10yrs now and can only imagine what it would be like to go into bad situations and not have the slightest concern for my life. I seem to rememeber a comic series called Eternal Warrior about a guy who couldn't die and fought right from Roman times or earlier all the way to the present. Pretty cool concept. I can only imagine the amount of special forces offers you would get...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
yea but with imortality we could have more time to discover spacxe travel. an be sleeping on pluto. imortality mean we can spend 30 or 40 years going in space . we probablay be populatin every rocked surface in the system

Dalair what typical human thinking. And what if we finf other life out there? Do we exterminate them because it is logical as they will all die eventually? Or what?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Its a deep question if immortal means to live forever, and to never be able to die, as in, limbs would simply regrow, etc. After a million years of being alive, even if the world continued to grow, and wasnt just simply destroyed leaving you alone, everything would become boring. Life would no longer be a struggle, you would no longer have a reason to live, as there is no longer life, without death, you cant really live. So would I want to become immortal? Would I want to live forever, even in an afterlife, such as heaven? No.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
At what cost? Some of us, as we age, become embittered, and emotionally dead to the world around us. Not me, any one who cries when Bambi's momma gets killed is doing ok in the emotions department, IMHO

Such a long life, it seems to me, would almost certainly result in the death of emotions, at least those that we describe as the softer, more important ones, the ability to love, feel compassion for the other, if only because having lost so often the ones we love, the emotional scars would hinder the ability to feel. I wouldn't want to live that way. So I'll take the span that I am entitled to by nature, do what I can to make it that far, and look forward to what comes after.

There is an after. My faith in God tells me so.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by seagull]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I wouldn't wanna be immortal, I don't like this planet too much.
But if my two bestfriends wanted to live forever, I would stay by their sides forever.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't think that living for a long time would result in the death of ones capacity to love. Rather I think that we would love more because we are so desperate for companionship.
The emotional change I belive will occur will be to grief, which will do one of two things.

Firstly it will either completely leave us. After the death of a loved one, we will simply accept the inevitable, tell ourself there will be someone else in maybe a century or four and get on with living.

Or, secondly, it will become so painful watching a lover die that we will pine and mourn and wail until our throats are raw and bleeding. After they heal we will do it again and wish against all hope we could die.

Personally I have found a new appreciation for the world around me and at this moment living forever doesn't seem so bad. There will be so much to do, and see, and learn, and live that by the time you've finished on Earth you will be able to soar the endless skies Jupiter, or go skiing on Pluto.

Curse my mortality.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It would take you some 250 years until you began to take on a new mind set.
The way we think is set to die and to think in the way we do.
But if you wear immortal you would begin to think in a new way.
Yes you watch you children die!
But you get to see your grand children have grand children.
You would soon see that you care for all people.
My father work’t at hull university, only a porter.
But he got to see it all.
He told me they wear working on immortality.
This was 27 years age. I think they have it.
But they would be mad to let every one have it.
There are 7 billion people now.
If no one dies! It dos not bear thinking about.
We are consuming the planet NOW.
Yes I would be immortal.
I love sciences & I love it when a new computer comes out & games!
And to be part of history.
Money easy just invest live pore for 100 years then have fun.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I personally don't mind the idea of immortality at all, aside from losing close friends and family around you because I love learning, imagine wathcing the world evolve right before your eyes (that is if you believe in evolution) its like one day yuo see horse drawn cars, then cars, then aeroplanes then flying cars~! how cool would that be?!

However I think humans were designed to die for a reason, because living forever could be a curse more then a gift

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Immortality seems like the greatest curse you could have placed upon you. Unless all of your friends are immortal, you'll watch them all quickly suffer and die. Whatever insight you gain from your existence will be questioned by every new generation until you become sick and tired of their ignorance and stupidity. It wouldn't take 1,000 years until you have gone insane and were looking everywhere for some way to end your miserable existence. And when 10,000 years have gone by, you'll have grown sick of every inch of the boring planet. And what about 500,000 years? A million years?

Just Hell.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
hmm If i could live forever. In the world we live in today i wouldn't want to. but if i was given the gift of immortality, i would give myself the sole purpose of seeking knowledge. for the first hundred years i would probably spend my time obtaining basic knowledge of scientific fields. using this knowledge to upgrade my physical being (faster thought, skin durability, strength, endurance, etc. etc.) eventually i would get to a point where i would mentor humanity in a positive way (watch the news "that doesn't look to good i better go help"). for the first thousand years i would do nothing more than seek knowledge of earth. Swim down to the bottom of the ocean discovering lost ancient civilizations. Learn languages and other near "out of reach" feats. Then i'd probably get to the point where i would force evolution upon myself, how far could i push the physical limits? or even the metaphysical?.

Once obtaining all knowledge on earth, i would spend hundreds of years hand-crafting my own space cruiser and take to the stars. Something bad happens? No problem, i'll be back up in the skies a few decades. Crash land on a planet totaling my vehicle, No problem i'll just rebuild it. Being immortal with few physical limitations wouldn't be so difficult. Due to my own nature of attempting to progress, i would probably be the ultimate researcher. travels spanning galaxies, universes, and dimensions.

but if i had to stay on earth, immortal life would get pretty boring, so i'd probably have to say no.

edited for spelling

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Obsurion]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It could be interesting, but all the same, I doubt if I'd want to be immortal. All I can think of is my heart shattering into smaller and smaller pieces FOREVER.

For example: there is someone who means the world to me and I'll never see him again, but to think of living past his death, and the eventual disappearance of his memory - well - the good thing would be at least I would always remember... but still, living to see everyone in my family die... living to see everyone I've ever met die... ever... EVER... oh, that kills me. Errr... haha, wait...

And if things got really bad in the world or at least for me... I'd be denied even the escape of death. That would scare me.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's a question I have pondered many times and I always come back to a vision of me watching the final sparks of the Universe extinguish themselves and I'm left in a dead dark Universe with no way to escape...erm...no thanks. Living 10,000 years might be nice though

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think there is definitely an existence of drugs that can make you immortal enough.

They're probably safely stored in a secret place, though.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I just found this interesting forum on the search engines and have a lot to contribute on this topic.

Throughout my life, I have seen and experienced events that differ from what I was told about in newspapers and TV. One such event was meeting someone who according to our culture should not exist; yet he does, in the flesh. I successfully located and made contact with a man whose age, I now believe, is nearly 2,800 years old.

The gentleman that I have made friends with has spent most of his life in the various countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea. And yes, he was living near Jerusalem around 2,000 years ago. How I found this amazing man is a long story that would take a book just to describe all of the details. For now, let me just say that I used my unique researching skills to find this special man. Although, I have not found any hard, scientific data to prove he is more than 100 years old, as I spoke with him, the eyewitness accounts of 2,800 years of history which he described make it difficult to believe he is anything but an immortal.

The stories he has to tell are too incredible to ignore. Some of his storied relate to our current history and some contradict current speculation. As crazy as this sounds, from my research, I now have to believe that there are people living among us who are 200 years of age, and older. And they have all blended themselves within our civilization so well, it is nearly impossible to distinguish them from a typical senior citizen.
I am often asked "What proof do I have that such a person exists"? Right now I have come to this forum to present the question of "what if" such a person really exists, and if so that immortals do exist, what questions should I ask such a person about historical events. In other words I am giving opening arguments for the case of immortality; and not giving a full case for such in 1,000 words or less. If I handed you a smoking gun without any context would you convict anyone of a crime? Of course not; because even absolute proof requires context to substantiate it.

I am not presenting any evidence here because I fell that this is not the format to present physical evidence and even if I could, I know it will not be enough. And I am not here to ask you to believe in anything; I am simply asking for your advice on what facts are important and how to present them as I collect them about this unique man. As time permits, I am blogging some of my findings on my main blog at www.ben-abba.com. I feel it will take me many days to present all that needs to be presented; but since I know most people like the 5 minute, sound clip, answers, I will do my best to summarize where I am in my research so far.

Again, there is no absolute, positive proof here, but the preponderance of circumstantial evidence is growing every day. So I am also asking everyone for questions that I should ask this incredible man about his past. Even if I cannot prove his true age, I certainly can present his eyewitness observations of the birth of our western civilization.

My goals for posting this topic on this forum are this:

(1) Present the possibility that real, physical immortals exist

(2) Find others who may have experienced meeting similar people in their lives..

(3) Find some additional questions to ask these immortals the next time I get the chance to meet with them.

I have put together a blog where I am blogging my experiences with people 500 years and older, including this special man whom I believe is nearly 2,800 at www.Ben-Abba.com... .

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Immortal! No thanks!

If our perception of a spirit domain does in fact exist then our essence (soul/spirit) will, presumabley, be immortal.
I hope this is not the case.
The demise of our physical existence is part of a cycle. Out with the old & in with the new!
Personally I would hope that whatever fate holds for me may it be instant and painless.
I can never grasp the mentality of those individuals who opt for Cryogenic suspension in the (mis)guided hope that their corpses be regenerated for a second chance of life.
This human recycling scheme fills me with horror.
When I'm gone I really hope that is truely the end. Yet, ironically, I have lived with a spirit that (to me) shows this may not be the case.

***************** Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust? *****************

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join