It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Would I want to be immortal? Maybe, I mean you would get to see the best and worst of all peoples. But then again, what to do all of those years would be a bit of a problem. Apart from myself, if I were immortal I would want to keep a low profile, maybe go and learn a new trade or dozens, go back to colledge and sit back and watch the rest of the world travel on by. But I would want others immortal as well, that way it would not be such a lonely journey.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudCanadian
No I would not want to live forever on this crappy planet. Just being honest

have to agree with you on that. But if I was as rich and powerful as a Rockefeller or Rothschild or Bill Gates... would it be worthwhile?

how long could you live and do it all and NOT be bored? difficult to say indeed.

It is funny how the dracula legend always has Drac, being old if not ageless and rich and sophisticated and having done it all... but chasing a rarity love lost and death... I think the dark side already answered the question, living forever sucks!

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Would I want to be immortal? Maybe, I mean you would get to see the best and worst of all peoples. But then again, what to do all of those years would be a bit of a problem. Apart from myself, if I were immortal I would want to keep a low profile, maybe go and learn a new trade or dozens, go back to colledge and sit back and watch the rest of the world travel on by. But I would want others immortal as well, that way it would not be such a lonely journey.

good point, whats the point of immortality if you spend it alone.....lol, reminds me of the opening lines of queen of the damned...."immortality seems like a good idea, until you realise you are going to spend it alone".........

[edit on 23-4-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
While I am extremely curious about how everything turns out and are the answers to our questions, finally revealed....no, I wouldn't want to be immortal.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No I would not become immortal, Just think you get married your wife/husband dies then your kids die, years later you fall in love with someone else, they die your kids die, and so on
after a few centuries of watching your friends and families die well you most likely would want to die yourself?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Absolutely.

There are an almost an infinite amount of things to do and learn here on Earth.
By the time I started to get bored here, we would probably be several centuries into manned space exploration, which opens up many more things to do.

It would take centuries just for me to learn everything I want to know.

It would take centuries to travel to and learn about the world.

By the time you go everywhere you wanted to go, the passing of time would have changed everything so revisiting those places would be a new experience itself.

I don't see how one could possibly get bored.

There are just too many things to do, with new stuff to do being added everyday.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
If you want a good story regarding the moral implications surrounding the idea of immortality, the Epic of Gilgamesh is a good place to look. Great story. Perfect reference for the discussion too.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Well I believe in the relatively distant future we will have nano-technology that can keep us alive for as long as we want, so we can all be immortal together if we chose to.

I'd love to be immortal so I can explore the galaxy, learn about the universe and meet alien civilizations, visit strange and different worlds.

Would I get bored? probably at some point, but that doesn't matter since the exploration will have been extremely rewarding and a great adventure.

I believe people never take into account that the world WILL change, and probably for the better, this world is not necesarilly doomed to become a mad-max or some other crappy post-apocolyptic place.

Chances are it will be more like Star Trek, we will be united in peace with each other, perhaps be united with many other alien races, peacefully exploring the universe, now don't tell me that doesn't sound exciting in it self?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I beleive it was Tim Leary who said he welcomed death and that it was the ultimate trip.

I am young but i do not fear death even if there is no afterlife. Sometimes i wonder what comes next. Death is the one thing that prooves were all equalls it is inescapable. Time will always creep up on you and bite you in the ass.

If i could live for a thousand years would I? Yes I would only because i want to see how far civilization advances.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
So far, the would-be immortals on this thread seem to be outnumbered by people comfortable with thought of their eventual demise. That makes me proud to be human, though I wonder how it would be if you asked the question of folk whose days were clearly numbered by disease or old age. The imminence of death can make even pallid, hollow-eyed immortality seem attractive.

I'm with the majority. I don't think I could bear to keep acquiring attachments to people, places and things, only to see them fall away behind me one after another. EdenKaia stated the problem so vividly I could almost feel the cafard mounting as I read. But there’s worse to contemplate: over a potentially infinite span of time, even the trauma of severance might come to seem attractive -- as a relief from the endless, unremitting boredom of existence. It is possible, as Skibum suggested, that life will never cease to throw up interesting new discoveries, experiences and intellectual puzzles; but I suspect the truth is that there is not enough room within the finitude of the human mind to accommodate an infinity of experience.

This may be a failure of imagination (mine), but I've learnt that the world, at a human level, isn't nearly as infinite and various as most of us give it credit for. My own life journey has taken me to many different parts of the world and brought me into contact with all sorts of people in an unusual variety of walks of life. My intellectual journeying has led me farther still. And I have found, sadly, that there comes a time when everything starts to look, sound and smell just like everything else. Alas, this is especially true of the people one encounters.

So: no immortality for me, thank you.

But a modestly extended lifespan -- yes, by all means.

In The City and the Stars, Arthur C. Clarke describes a society in which people live a thousand years at a time, then are painlessly deprived of life, while their personalities and a self-chosen selection of their memories are uploaded into the memory banks of their city. These personalities and memories are resurrected in a new body after a few millennia, to run the whole course again. This seems like a better arrangement than immortality, though I think 150 years or so at a time might be preferable to a thousand.

However, Clarke's novel also points up the inevitable result of such immoderate longevity: social stagnation, leading ultimately to decay. That's the problem with immortality, really, in the end. It might be good for the individual, but it's fatal to the species.

Finally, if the above arguments fail to convince, consider this: the wish to live forever is greedy, selfish and rather cowardly. It is, in a word, ignoble. Long live death.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
eh?....i am!

.....im going to grow a 'Mullet' like christopher Lambert in 'Highlander' to clinch the look

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I would love to live forever! Think about all the breeding I could commit myself to. Within a few million years there would be a nation of people all related to me and we could work together to cleanse the world of negative forces until all that was left was Billions of -- MEEE!!

Just kidding, but maybe thats what would happen if one person lived forever. Who knows.. On the lighter side of life I tend not to fear death because my beliefs of reincarnation are similar to immortality except life is interrupted and begun anew everytime we die.

Imagine life as a television set... When we die I think that the channel changes but the TV never turns off... The content of the next channel is directly related to the content of the previous but they are still seperate in nature, and so on and so forth. This is my instinctual faith in what happens next.. My views are anadultered and purely self believed.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Immortality, what a novel concept that't be. To me it sounds like a novel idea, but it depends no the context, I wouldn't mind the elven idea of immortality, where one cannot die save by being killed by someone, protection from disease etc etc would be cool. However I could see immortality and invincibility would be more of a curse, imagine your in a situation which is impossible to get out of, your forced to live in it, if death truly is a release you would start to crave it. Or thats my thoughts =]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
If I could be immortal then hell yes, I would like to be. This would mean I'd joined the club and was allowed to travel from planet to planet, tending to the people and animals of these worlds.

To become an immortal, one first needs to have a suitable planet. The planet itself would need to be greatly charged with this energy that's oh so abundant in the Universe. It burns the Sun when it passes through it, makes the planets revolve around the Sun. Way way back in the day it made gravity appear lighter, so people were able to do things like make the Great Pyr-mid, or move the Baalbek stones, or allowed Ultrasaurs to walk around without breaking all the bones and bursting all their blood vessels. It's the energy that allows prophets to speak to Gods. It's also what our souls are made of and where our memories are stored: pinches in the electric fields that travel our nervous systems.

So an Immortal would have the greatest of souls. So great that when an appendage is cut off the soul draws in matter from the surrounding area and recreates what is supposed to be there. We all should know that the Atlanteans made somebody mad because they came too close to becoming Gods themselves, and the lost art of quantakinesis is just one example of how they were achieving this. Manipulation of the electric energy, crystals cut to the right dimensions, and lots of hard work are part of becoming immortals. Unfortunately, the status of immortal is one that is easily taken away, since there is so much required to maintain the powers and elegance of your working body.

You won't find any immortals among us these days: too much pollution is like throwing a big wrench into your machine. An electric field that isn't strong enough doesn't provide a good medium for our souls that travel our nervous systems. Any immortal here on Earth would also be an enemy of the wise old men ruling over our world.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Actually immortal... maybe...
extremely long lived... hell yes...

Why not?

as another poster said... getting old is a drag,
but if i could still learn, and still take care of myself, then sign me up for the millenium club...

when i could no longer learn, or take care of myself, then i will find someone who will plant me, and turn me into roses...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I love how my posts are generally completely ignored here...-sighs-

When nano-technology matures, we can all look forward to being young forever, live very long, eventually forever and being able to explore the universe in all it's splendor.

I am not even remotely afraid of death, I strongly believe in the possibility of reincarnaton simply due to the fact it's much more logical than seizing to exist, seizing to exist isn't too scary to me either since you will not be in pain anymore and wont have to worry about anything anymore, what truly scares me is a heaven you are stuck in, or a hell if you believe in such, a place where the soul is stuck sounds scary to me...

Not to turn this into a religious debate, but I believe that the soul exists and learns forever, in a sense being immortal in it's own right, however I also believe that with the aid of technology we will be able to enhance our selves as well and learn forever.

I am also quite certain that in the near future there will be a way to communicate with spirits and/or ghosts so we can talk to lost loved once, and we probably could tell how they would be reincarnated, also I believe that the soul IS the primary storage of memories and experience, even in a next life we would be able to draw out previous experiences.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I would love to be immortal, providing i could end my life when ever i chose. I would just like to see how mankind evolves both physically and technologically. Although you would have to watch everyone you ever loved die. Thats the only down side as far as i can see.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There is absolutely no way that I'd want to live forever on this rock.
I am looking forward to being 'dead', moving on, and being alive for
the first time (in etherial state).

That's what makes the thought of reincarnation so depressing to me.
It's like you just can't get off this planet and move on to higher and
better things.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ground Zero, the one problem with having a whole species of extremely long lived people is that we lose all ability to mutate. If people live for a long time, there will be little point in reproduction.
Now, imagine some kind of accident released a massive amount of radiation into the atmosphere and each person no or a few kids. If they were all rendered infertile there would be no way for us to breed an immunity to it and we would eventually become extinct anyway.

Back on topic, its not that I fear death, but that I have an overwhelming curiosity regarding the future of this planet (not so much this crappy little race).
I think that it would be hard initially to get over deaths etc but eventually you will come to accept it in the same way we all consider our death. You will still love as much as you had, but you would always consider the fact that they will inevitably pass.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
No i would not become an immortal.... one life is good enough... besides beeing an immortal would only give me eternal time to come to ATS and read eternal nonsens... *shivers*

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join