It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think i would go with immortality. I have always wanted to invent something or make a peice of music/art worthwhile, immortality gives me a lot of spare time to do so
although it would be very lonely... being nonexistant isnt any better

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
there nothing good about living forever going on an on not knowing only longing for it too end, seeing you friends and family vanishing one by one knowing you can never join them, it not a life humans should live

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I've read, "The Last Book in the Universe," and the setting was the future 1000 years or so from now. The people in the book; the world in the book, was completely different, because most ties to the past were erased, due to a natural disaster. The future was so different, and bizzare, that since reading the book, I've wanted to know what the future of my reality would be if I couldn't died, and what the world would change to become. It's one of my biggest dreams, and since the years of my youth are the years I'm happiest, I want to live to see the future in it.

Of course, one could argue that since I've only lived to be 16, I don't know what the happiest years of my life could be. However, when I hear my elders talk to me about their happiest years, it was durring their youth, so I assume mine will be to, and I do not want do risk the unknownn (ageing), when what I have now is so good, becuase I am perfectly content with giving up experiences I can only recieve through ageing by thinking of the knowledge, and experience I can gain without ageing.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i just met my ex... and realized how deep the things are between us. we love each other, but cant be together... how can i live eternaly if i cant even bear a second of an existance like this? the only preson who would want to live forever is th one who never loved...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Wouldn't the question read something like this in our day and age?

would you become mortal?

With the suppressed patents, the suppressed technologies and unethical scientists out there, there are already people on this planet that we would all flat out disbelieve in.

I would like to think I am already Immortal.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Absolutely! Well, as long as I stop aging!!!

In the end there can be only One!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well, immortality is a nice way to transcend time. You can do what you want, when you want to do it. There's no rush...you got forever...or as long as the Earth lasts.

If I were to become immortal...I'd do all in my power to take down the corrupt, vile and powerful elitist of the world.

But, that wasn't the question. Do I want to be immortal?

No! I'm in my 20's and I'm already hoping for something better than this crappy place when I leave here. Not to mention, if the human species dies out, or all life dies out...you're the only one left...to do absolutely nothing...for forever. See, what a lot of you are forgetting is being immortal doesn't mean you won't feel pain, etc. In fact...the term being "bored to death" will mean nothing to you. You'll wish you could be bored to death. Trust me.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If I wouldn't age and I would remain healthy I would do it in a second. The only other requirement I would have to insist on is not losing for soul for the experience.

Yes I would watch people I loved pass away, however I have been there and done that. To me that would be the hardest part.

As for what would motivate me to get out of bed in the am ? I would have to believe that if a person had immortality they could recognize patterns, see things that have happened before and that were happening again and would have been smart enough to put themselves in a position to help humanity.

Plus, it would just be cool.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

But a modestly extended lifespan -- yes, by all means.

In The City and the Stars, Arthur C. Clarke describes a society in which people live a thousand years at a time, then are painlessly deprived of life, while their personalities and a self-chosen selection of their memories are uploaded into the memory banks of their city. These personalities and memories are resurrected in a new body after a few millennia, to run the whole course again. This seems like a better arrangement than immortality, though I think 150 years or so at a time might be preferable to a thousand.

However, Clarke's novel also points up the inevitable result of such immoderate longevity: social stagnation, leading ultimately to decay. That's the problem with immortality, really, in the end. It might be good for the individual, but it's fatal to the species.

Finally, if the above arguments fail to convince, consider this: the wish to live forever is greedy, selfish and rather cowardly. It is, in a word, ignoble. Long live death.

I must agree with this summation. Considering the restraints of a life to be rather confined I believe this would be the eventual situation. What would there be to inspire spiritual growth, where would the inspiration come from to better ones self? The spirit after a time would wither and die
Even if they added new blood the eventual outcome would be the same.

I know one thing, I would never be able to endure such a existence without some type of music. It gives inspiration, but only to a certain degree. Hearing the same music over and over would be the end of me LOL LOL LOL

I think the perfect solution would be a space traveler that lives to see as much of Gods creation as possible. Give me immortality, and send me to the stars...........

[edit on 8-10-2008 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Forever, that is a long time.
However, I think we already do live forever if you want. Your body dies, but you, yourself live on. However, if you truly don't want to live anymore you can go back to the source, like a raindrop falls into the ocean and just cease to exist. I believe it is that way, but don't know how it works exactly.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I would Love to be Immortal, I could get so many PHD's, I live to learn and could really do that.

Living for ever isn't that what "Woodrow Wilson Smith" aka Lazarus Long did?? ( any other esoteric bookworms out there? )

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think that if I was given the coice, I'd probably say "No". I'd rather just have a normal lifespan with perhaps, a better quality of life until the day I die. Forever is a very long time and I'd think that one would really have to fight off boredom or insanity at some point in time. I think that it could be both a blessing and a curse. Plus, to watch all your loved ones pass on would really wear on you after awhile.

Great topic for debate, though.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
yes i would like to be immortal thank you very much,and if i get bored..ill just find a way to kill my self,throw my self in magma...teminator style

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unisol

HAHA! Ok, what if immortality meant something more on the line of "Groundhog's Day"?
Would that change anyone's mind at all?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by denythestatusquo

I believe that if your immortal you could have all the riches you wanted. But the riches are not whats important its being alive and discovering new acheviments. If you lived forever you wouldnt just have to live on the earth forever you could be a space traveler, and maybe discover new life witch would make it all worth while. And to answer that question about having some one immortal with you so it wasnt so boring, after some time (because you have all the time you want) you would be able to make someone else immortal because of advanced technology.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gamerman

what is the sense of life?
each person has someting different to live for. personally, if given the choice to be immortal, i would take it. not because i am afraid of death or losing the world i live in. I would do it for love. I would live for all eternity to never lose the women that i love. think about this. you love someone, your with each other for a very long time. you get old. one of you dies. you have nothing else to live for except for death. you isolate yourself from the rest of the world. nothing could make you feel as happy as you did when you were holding your loved one in your arms. you would lose the will to live and just sit around waiting for your life to end just for the slim possibility that there is some sort of life after death where you will be able to her again. i would take immortality for love only if she took the immortality as well, otherwise this rant would be rather pointless.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by larsmann

Immortals never accomplish anything. There's always "tomorrow."

Sensibilities would quickly grow numb.

Eventually, no surprises.

Nothing left untried.

Fear is a great motivator.

Immortal, you could never have courage, fear, regret, hope, anticipation, bravery, sacrifice, or grief.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Imortallity . .. hmmm an interesting idea definately.
There are several types of imortality to consider.

The first is imortality like in death becomes her (and old comedy, look it up for more info). In this case an elixer is taken that reverses age and restores looks. The issue is that when the body is damaged in any way, the person must live with these injurys, they do not heal. Such as if you fall down a flight of stairs and break your neck, it stays broken, but you do not die. You get shot in the gut with an elephant gun and you are left with the hole for the rest of your life. What a Horible imortality that woukld be.

The second is the vampire, where you live forever, but you must drink blood from the living to stay alive, and cannot go into direct sunlight, but any injuries are healed after drinking blood. This doesn't sound like a good existance to me either.

The third is a plain simple imortal that heals from any and all wounds. New limbs grow back if old ones were severed. Able to eat normal food and go out in daylight. The main issue with this one is every several years about 20 or so I would think, you would have to reinvent yourself in order to keep yourself out of the spotlight when people discover what you are. The other issue is if some sadistic b*st**d finds out and wants to find out what makes you into one. He could kidnap you and cut you into tiny pieces to see which of the pieces you grow back from, so he can try do discover why. If he couldn't figure it out he could pass it on to his son and his son and so forth until they figured it out. The police will stop looking for you after so long and chock it up to an unsolved mystery. Or if it was just a sick twisted individual who wanted to tortue you, and he passed it on down through the family. Either one could keep you locked away for hundreds or even thousand of years, as long as the liniege continues.

There are probably other variations of imortals, but these are the first three that bring to mind.

None of these sound promissing to me. I think I would just like to live however long I will in this vessle and then move on to whateve lies beyond this world, if anything. Since I am Christian, I believe in the afterlife and technically that would be considered an imortality as well. If that is wrong I will find out when it time.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by larsmann

i want to be immortal, i really do. for the past three weeks i have been thinking about it. i don't want to die. knowing that i will someday die, has been eating at me. i hate it. i want to be immortal, i want to live forever.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join