It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Considering i do not believe in life after death, i would take immortality.

My conditions would lnclude:

* No Aging
* Immunity to non-lethal sickness and injury (why be immortal if you get both
your legs blown off or something? Or get some crippling disease?)
* The ability to take my own life if i so ever choose
* No requirement to eat, sleep etc.

I don't think i would ever become bored, unless i was the last creature alive.

This planet, for all it's faults, is an amazing place and i'd take all the time in the world (pun intended) to discover it all.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I would love to.

Because:

I can go to college and get a masters degree in everything as I would have plenty of time.

I would have all the sex I wanted.

I could have a thousand kids lol, and see lots of generation of family.

I can join every branch of the military. Fight in all future wars.

I couldn't die from diseases.

However what if someone or somehow your hand gets chopped off? It can't grow back can it? Your head is blown off lol, that won't grow back. That's the down side.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The only true immortality could be in your soul form/spirit form. You have no body to be blown apart.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
we are already immortal, those that do not realize it are spinning
their wheels and going no where....

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I don't want to be immortal unless I am healthy and I can travel everywhere in the known and unknown universe(s). I'd be too bored if I was stuck only on this planet despite the fact that there's still a lot we don't know about it. I'd like a change of scenery now and then.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anatomic Bomb

Wouldn't you want to put some money into a savings account, an investment, or in some stock and then in 100 years or so, realized you have become a millionaire?

Then, repeat reinvestment every 100 years and live in comfort and luxery; instead of starting over again from scratch?

Reading and watching the scientific fiction about immortals, I can see a few more advantages than this.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think it might be fun to do the groundhog day thing. Being an anal perfectionist it would give me the opportunity to live out the ultimate day! That is of course if you could turn it off when you wanted.

Just think if you were immortal on this planet but the catch was in fact to live the same day over and over?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by larsmann
I sat down one day and wondered how it would be to live forever! A fascinating idea indeed. Live for thousands of years and doing only what you feel for at the moment! What do you guys think about it? In the same case, How would you become one immortal.?

YES I WOULD !! in a heartbeat !!! now can somone deliver the goods ???

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't think people are realizing that just because you don't die that doesn't mean you are suddenly rich. I mean people are talking like they can suddenly do whatever they want.

Odds are you will have to work, forever!

I think you guys are thinking in terms of:

Never dying
Being rich
Being able to hook up with whoever you want
No work or only what you want to do and when you want to do it
Nothing unpleasant to deal with on a daily basis
No wars taking place where you are
No natural disasters happening to your area
Etc...

I don't think all of those things automatically come with the never dying part.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
How about if you live forever, why don't you make a spiritual leap on your live. Not as a Christian nor as a Muslim, but as a human. Give more love to Lady Gia and work more for Elshadai.

Mona-Oha.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TantricWolf

personally if icould i live forever i would absoulutely take the oppurtunty to walk the earth forever hey theres alway the fountain of youth right

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I used to always wonder what it would be like to be immortal. Then I began to wonder, not so much of losing oved ones around you, but actually gaining those relationships in the first place. I'm not refering to immortality achieved through technology or medical advances.

I think many people would have a difficult time accepting an immortal into their inner circle. If you are immortal, most people would probably belive that you are either a) psychologically unstable, b) a flat out liar, c) some sort of freak, d) all of the above.

I also wonder if the system (at least in the US) stays the same 80 yrs from now as far as SS#s are concerned, how would that affect an immortal? Would they be able to work, go to school, lease, renew passports or do anything?

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Considering i do not believe in life after death, i would take immortality.

Hmm....

I know its off topic a hair, but.........

I'm curious as to why you think this way.

As a member of this site, you haven't seen any evidence of an afterlife?

You haven't ever experienced anything paranormal?

I always ask people why they think there is no life after death, the answer its so obvious.

Am I lucky enough to have experienced supernatural things in my life?

Does everyone get a chance to experience these things?

I believe if you had a personal experience you would change your mind rather quickly.

To answer the question....

I would like to be invincible(not invisible) rather than immortal. This would be so amazing! Being able to do whatever you wanted without fear of any consequences to speak of.

Just imagine being able to sit at the epicenter of a nuclear explosion!

Or diving down into an abyss and getting eaten by a large sea monster, just to watch the expression of the beast as you come out the other end alive!!!

I can think of so many amazing things you could do while invincible. If you were just immortal you would be subject to pain and you wouldn't be able to survive in space or jump into a blackhole!

I like this thread starred and flagged for amusement!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

I can think of disadvantages. Would you experience pain? if so, somebody could torture you for a very LOOOOONG time. If you dont feel pain, you could still suffer, for example buried alive, locked in a prison cell for 1000 years etc. help!!!

[edit on 8-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't become an immortal because I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have done something, anything at all, to prevent any pain and suffering of those loved ones left behind. BUT if I knew that I could become an immortal I would do my best to let everyone else know to join me because immortals can't possibly live all alone with a few of their own kinds. It would be quite boring indeed.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Good points!

Ok I want to add something then

Along with being invincible you have the ability to transverse space and time.

let me explain...

The ability would let you walk through walls or stop time. Leaving you able get out of sticky situations, like being buried alive or thrown in jail.

And yes no pain whatsoever.

This would be ideal

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Given the chance, I would take immortality hands down and as fast as I could get it, eternal life is the ultimate, totally bypassing nature and separating yourself from it. Free from it.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I dont know if it would be such a good thing... unless everybody else is immortal whats the point of being immortal and alone, we live and cherish things and so on because life is precious and we can't take it for granted cuz eventualy we'll die however once u know u can't die i think everything would seem to be dull... and in another way of seeing things i think death in a weird way is saving our butts somehow .. can u imagine maniacs like Bush and his Rockefeller friends living forever???

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

If he rephrased it like that, and you could simply make all your loved ones immortal, then you would basicaly be a god wouldnt you.

you would eventually discover all the secrets of life and death.

perhaps a race of gods?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
News for YA we are IMMORTALS but would I like to live longer then normal life expectancy sure we all would, but in good health.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join