It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become an immortal?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I sat down one day and wondered how it would be to live forever! A fascinating idea indeed. Live for thousands of years and doing only what you feel for at the moment! What do you guys think about it? In the same case, How would you become one immortal.?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No I would not want to live forever on this crappy planet. Just being honest

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I always wondered something? If an immortal gets hurt bad, like say he gets his head chopped off, or stabbed in the heart,or bleeds out all the blood in his body, or something, Will he die?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
I always wondered something? If an immortal gets hurt bad, like say he gets his head chopped off, or stabbed in the heart,or bleeds out all the blood in his body, or something, Will he die?

Thats an interesting tought
So if ya dont want to live anymore its just to kill yourself...

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
... I always thought that immortality was the gift offered by Christianity....
From the beginning there was the "tree of eternal life"...

[edit on 22-4-2006 by cosmokatt7]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well, if you follow along the lines of a religion or specific way of life, the Hindus and Buddhists and anyone else believing in reincarnation could say that they were, essentially, among the first who could claim to be immortal.

However, if we are speaking of life / immortality without the pesky interruption of death then, yeah, think of all the things a person could do and learn and experience without having to start over every 80 – 100 years or so.

Though, short of Vampirism or becoming a Deity, it would be difficult to say just how one might go about uninterrupted immortality.

Intriguing to say the least.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Immortal in the saying of not age the body physics but the age and die if you get shot. No , because I feel that we mortal know we are going to die sometime and that give us the power to live as much you can. I am possible sure that if you where immortal you would loose the sence of life.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This wish for immortality seems like a crutch used by people afraid of the unknown. I'm sure that those who wish to be immortal (Highlander style, but no battling other immortals) are just comfortable with the world around them, and are afraid to see it go. Dying isn't always a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Damn i was thinking of starting this thread. I was thinking the other day that if there was say an elixir of life that kept you alive when you drank it, would i drink it forever? I mean say scientists invent a simple pill that you need to take once a month, how long would you take it for?

Personally i think after maybe 600 or 700 years i would simply get bored.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Seeing as I am unsure if there is life after death, I feel that I would take the option to live forever. At least until I couldn't stand it any more, and then I'd get in an 'accident' or kill myself after a few thousand years maybe.

If you were immortal, you wouldn't need to eat. Therefore you wouldn't need to work in order to get food or money. You could just walk around nonstop doing whatever you want. Assumedly, immortals would not have to sleep either. All you need to worry about would be getting clothes.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Edit: Sorry, double posted.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'd want to be immortal. I'd love to see the way our world goes and how long it takes us to make this place uninhabitable (except by me
)

In regards to becoming immortal, is anyone familiar with Neil Gaimans Sandman?
A character in there believes that the only reason people die is becuase they expect to. He decides that death is a mugs game and he won't take part.
Needless to say he decided that in the 1500's and is still going on.

Maybe I'll try that.....

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Immortality is an interesting dream. If you want to talk about the corporeal sense alone, then I would say that I'd have to pass. Invariably, being able to live for all eternity, you would fall in love over and over again. You may not mean to, but it would happen. If one considers that the average person BELIEVES to be in love(that is in the sense that they think they could not live without this person) at least five times in the average lifespan, could you imagine going through the courtship, romance, and eventualy aging and death of all those people that you would love? And I don't just mean in the romantic sense either. What of friends? Family? What of attachments to structures and places? Personally, I would have been deeply saddened to see the splendor that was once the Roman Colliseum now in the dreary(though still admittedly majestic) state that it is in now. Granted, restorations have and will still be made, but it just would not be the same. And this is a place that people have recognized as a vital part of our world's history, what of the countless monuments and cities that have been wiped clean from the face of time? Could you really endure when all around you changes so constantly? What could you hold to in order to make it through the next hundred years? And the ones after that? The idea that there will always be more wonders to see? No thanks. I think I'd rather just live my life with the loves I have discovered, no matter what they may be, and when I die, perhaps I can go with peace in the knowledge that it was a truly wonderful experience.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
No, I am already bored with this world after 43 years, I am not interested in being immortal.

Maybe if I had something that needed many years to acomplish I might like the idea.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
"It would be easier to stop the sun from shining or the season from changing then to stop the growth of the eternal soul." I wrote that and I believe that.

Death is just a shaking off of this mortal coil. You will still go on.

This is just my humble opinion.

wupy

"What the caterpiller calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." Richard Bach.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
No, I am already bored with this world after 43 years, I am not interested in being immortal.

Maybe if I had something that needed many years to acomplish I might like the idea.

Hahaha.

I may choose to become immortal *only* if I was able to kill myself somehow.....which would make me quasi-immortal. At some point, you just got to call it quits.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Immortal in this world? No way.

I know however one day if I remain true I will put on immortality.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

*bold and underline added

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Immortality.... wow theres one double edged sword and a half...

trouble is, its a gift from the devil to keep you from god. Immortality would bring hardship, suffering and breed a very very cold attitude towards your fellow humans.... and as for a relationship...well would you want to put every body you knew into a grave?? forever?? nope - ill just stick to making this life count, go when God calls, and enjoy the next life, cause if its as great as this one its going to be a blast.

Enjoy life, but embrace the next one with both arms and a smile!

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree that everytime you formed an attachment you would have to watch it eventually (painfully) end. However, this happens to everyone in their life anyway. We put grief behind us and move on, with the memory of the past inside us.

I would still wish for immortality. I want to see the way the world grows and devlelops. I want to see whether or not aliens approach us and we become part of a galactic community. I want to be alive for the evolution of humanity, and (most importantly) THE FINDING OF BIGFOOT OR NESSIE!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Yes, I was raised 06/29/2000.

Just joking.

Honestly, after you reach a certain age, the idea of a long "dirt nap" doesn't seem nearly as overwhelming as when you were young.

A couple of questions.

First, if you knew you'd live forever, what would be your motivation for getting out of bed? Wouldn't you just sleep in, and say to yourself, "I get to it tomorrow?"

Second, I assume you are talking about not only immortality, but eternal youth as well. 'Cause I can tell you right now, what a drag it is growing old. Can you imagine just getting older and older . . . weaker and weaker . . . more and more arthritic . . . . and senile, and incontinent, and senile and incontinent and senile . . . .*arrrgh* . . . .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join