It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney accidentally shoots man in hunting accident

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Is this the last Vice Presidential gun rage since Aaron Burr? It could be historical. Or maybe just hysterical.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is too funny.
Collateral damage indeed

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Dick was just practising his Shakespear......" First, kill all the lawyers"

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'll bet anything they were grab-assing and not following safe gun handling rules. Good ol' boys, been shootin' all their lives, we don't worry about these hyear loaded weapons!! All it takes is one second of head up your you know where and somebodys shot......by accident.

The irony just oozes off this one.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
When they ran the FOXNEWS ALERT thing I read it (sound off as usual) and I thought it said Cheney was shot. Imagine how I felt when I re-read it.

Seriously though, Dick should give up the guns at his age. Why play with a pellet gun when he has a nuclear arsenal at his disposal?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Maybe he thought he was aiming at Dubya.

I can hear it now...the nightlies are going to have a field day with this one!

Ram

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
oh my God!!
- That - is - so - terrible... -

Maybe it's a sign..
Cause Bush had some trouble with some gear too...

Bush Gear On Reuters..

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Better watch out .. hes heading to Washington Next and hes gonna clean house...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Do political leaders have to take the eye examination at the B.M.V. ?
I wouldn't want him driving down my street...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Do you think that Scooter Libby might be regretting his ratting out of Cheney about now.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
E V I L

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
What a Dick!

He's probably mad that he couldn't finish the job,

"Dang, what a Dick I am."

Edited because some people go too far! This is what happens when a little levity is allowed. It only takes one Dick to shoot it to Heck!

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wait a minute - someone please explain this to me. They were hunting quail? Is this how you hunt quaile? What is the deal here?

www.cnn.com...

"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

Got peppered? What were they shooting with? Excuse me, I know nothing about these things but if you are using ammo meant to pepper, then wouldn't that be to shoot at a flock? Why then would you pick out a single bird to aim at? Would this even be effective with ammo that "peppers" to aim at a single bird?

I'm so confused.

Are there any quail hunters out there who can explain this to me? Does the guy even know how to hunt quail in the first place? Was he properly equipped and just didn't get it? Besides, if he were following a single bird wouldn't it have been higher than the poor guy in the field before he fired?

The jokes are killing me (you guys are great with the comments) but my curiosity is just out of control on this one.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Relentless, it's called bird shot. It's a bunch of little pellets in one cartridge and several of them can hit a bird and bring it down. Or you can actually hit a couple of birds, but you usually aim for one. This is a very normal thing.

Besides, if he were following a single bird wouldn't it have been higher than the poor guy in the field before he fired?

I wondered about this too. Either he was shooting into the bush or the guy is REALLY tall. But if he was shooting into the bush, why was he 'sweeping' the gun?

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Got peppered? What were they shooting with?

Bird shot, it's small, light, and it travels pretty quickly from point a to point b, but doesn't have much energy.

Excuse me, I know nothing about these things but if you are using ammo meant to pepper, then wouldn't that be to shoot at a flock? Why then would you pick out a single bird to aim at? Would this even be effective with ammo that "peppers" to aim at a single bird?

You need ammo like this for hitting small targets on the wing. The birds bank and turn, dive and rise at a pretty remarkable speed. If you're going to have a hope in Hell of hitting one solitary bird, you need to 'paint' across its body in flight while discharging a scatter shot.

Does the guy even know how to hunt quail in the first place? Was he properly equipped and just didn't get it? Besides, if he were following a single bird wouldn't it have been higher than the poor guy in the field before he fired?

Not necessarily, the quail is a ground bird, and when they get flushed out it takes them some time to rise up above the heads of the hunters. Responsible shooting parties have an understanding that you don't fire on the low birds, because accidents like this happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Heres another chaney with gun pic (check my previous thread for the other.)

Bang Bang Bang ther'ye at the door now

[edit on 12/2/2006 by kuhl]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
There were lots of people there. The property owner, Cheney's medical team, some sort of secret service... I guess they're just lucky.

cnn

... it was the first time the two men hunted together.

...and I'd venture to guess, the last.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Maybe he's practicing hunting so that later he can accomplish the mission

Awwww, this is too funny. Now we have a killer on our hands. *shk*

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Responsible shooting parties have an understanding that you don't fire on the low birds, because accidents like this happen.

Well, thanks for the answers BH & Wyrde, and now I have what I was getting at. Whatever the "accidents do happen" side it doesn't sound like this was a very responsible shot. So, is Cheney new to quail hunting? either way, I do hope he will refrain from such activities in the future.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I guess they were reluctant to tell:

McBride did not comment about why the vice president's office did not tell reporters about the accident until the next day. She referred the question to Armstrong, who could not be reached again Sunday evening.

No kidding

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join