It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Weather - Is "the day after tomorrow" coming true?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by elocin
I live in central/north bc.. and it typically gets COLD here in the winter to the point where you wouldn't take your kids to school for fear of being outside for 5 minutes... that kind of thing is normal here, every winter, that there are at least some no school days, but so far this year the temperature is staying around 0 here. It's unusually warm. And we seem to have had a record low amount of snow this year, in comparison to previous years, which is also odd.

Seems like things are switching up, yes? Warmer in areas usually cold and vice verse. A little bit of the old preemptive warning perhaps. Too bad most people are sound asleep to the changes taking place right under their proverbial noses, eh?

As for myself, I think a trip to higher elevations is shortly in order.
edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
More bad news for the UK:

Met Office Issues Snow Warning For Northern Scotland
6 January 2011 Last updated at 01:27 ET
Severe weather warnings have been issued by the Met Office for parts of northern Scotland.
www.bbc.co.uk...

The Met Office said December was the coldest month on record, with the average temperature -1C. The team, based in Traffic Scotland's control centre in Glasgow, was set up last month after the onset of severe weather which saw the coldest December in parts of Scotland since records began in 1910.

Snow to sweep across UK again, warns Met Office
www.metro.co.uk...

Met Office forecaster Helen Chivers..."It will take until mid-week next week but we will have temperatures of 7C or 8C in the south"...

December 2010 was the coldest month in England and Wales since February 1986, experts said.

edit on 1/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: additional

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
First person with the right answer wins the speed boat, or what's in the mystery box:

Since my last post to this thread 17 days ago how many weather related disasters have occurred, and how many have died from said disasters?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here's an interesting post:

7,000 dead Buffalo and Cattle in Vietnam
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The last time I checked I thought Vietnam was in the subtropics. It is, isn't it?

Originally posted by Wildeagle
Dead Buffalo in Vietnam - What is Changing?

Both dead Buffalo and dead cow events are reported in Vietnam and are attributed to the freezing winter the country is experiencing. The dead buffalo and cows have been dying all over the Vietnam providences with the number 7000 being the total of all the deaths combined from all the providences. Vietnam is seeing mass deaths of 700 deaths in one day due to the cold. The livestock is being frozen.

With the reports saying that the dead buffalo and cows in Vietnam are dying from the unusually cold temperatures, this is at least a valid reason for these animals to be dying. Although it is sad, there is a reason for these deaths.

Sorces > www.associatedcontent.com...
www.youtube.com...

Pole shift?
Whatever it is, is heartbreaking. I am so tired of seeing our nature dying like this, in such masses.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: Made an oopsie!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There's more:

Melting Snow Isolates Thousands
www.newsinenglish.no...

A sudden rise in temperatures over the weekend set off a series of floods and snow- and rock slides all over western Norway, forcing road closures and isolating towns and villages. By Monday morning, more than 70 local roads and highways were blocked by mounds of snow, or closed for safety reasons.
Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported that even the main E-39 highway was blocked, near Haugen Camping in Jølster, and the state highway department (Statens Vegvesenet) was warning residents against driving.
“There is huge danger of more slides and the situation is highly unpredictable,” Camilla Einarsen of Vegvesenet told NRK. The warning applied to all of western Norway but especially the counties of Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Even more:

Noah's Ark Has Nothing On This California Forecast
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by raceway40
started on 1/16/2011 @ 08:31 AM

So you might be surprised that a group of 117 scientists who work for the USGS aren't talking about earthquakes today, and instead are warning us of something that could be even more destructive. The USGS unveiled Friday a new study of what they call an "Arkstorm Scenario." It's a mega-storm that would measure rain in feet instead of inches.
www.nbclosangeles.com...

I'll bet there's even more...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Look Out Fargo:

Record-breaking Flood On The Way
www.inforum.com...

The chances for another record-breaking flood in Fargo-Moorhead deepened Tuesday when the National Weather Service announced its latest spring flood outlook.

The Red River at Fargo has a 20 to 25 percent chance that flood levels will reach or exceed the record crest set in 2009 and a 50 percent chance of beating last year’s crest, which was the sixth-highest on record.

The Red has a 20 percent chance of reaching 41.2 feet and a 10 percent chance of reaching 42 feet in Fargo, the weather service said. The river crested at 40.84 feet in 2009.

The next updated flood forecast is set to be released Feb. 3.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
More Minnesota misery:

Wind Chill Advisory Warns Of Possible 40-below Overnight
www.sctimes.com...

The wind chill alert covers south-central and Central Minnesota, including the St. Cloud area, from 6 p.m. today through 9 a.m. Friday.

The overnight low is expected to be about 23 degrees below zero. Wind speeds of 10-15 mph are expected to produce sustained dangerous wind chills of 25 to 35 degrees below zero, approaching 40 below zero for short periods, according to the weather service.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I saw this on the news this afternoon. It's the result of a broken water main. Pretty cool, eh?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da404de61af1.jpg[/atsimg]
Must See Photos: Leaky Pipe Encases Car In Ice
www.ktla.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
"I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia"
- Special Agent Dale Cooper, Federal Bureau of Investigation

Or new York for that matter:

New York Gets Record Amount Of Snow In January
First Posted: 01/27/11 12:36 PM Updated: 01/27/11 12:36 PM
www.huffingtonpost.com...

If you feel like you've never seen this much snow in January, you're right.

The 19 inches of snow New York City received Wednesday and Thursday broke a record for January.

From the Daily News:

The record set in 1925 was buried under the 36 inches that blanketed New York this month, with the overnight storm closing city schools and snarling morning commutes.
Mayor Bloomberg, speaking at City Hall, said the latest blast of winter created various problems - including some ambulances and subways stranded by the snow, and higher emergency response times.
The seemingly endless stream of powder also caused school closures and flight cancellations..

Bloomberg vowed every street would be cleared as quickly as possible.

The mayor came under fire for the city's botched response to December's blizzard.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
2011 is going to be just as bad or even worse in my humble little opinion.
Here's a recap from The Weather Channel:

edit on 1/27/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
We are expecting more snow here in the UK, mainly South-East according the the weather. Its got realy cold here in Cornwall today. Went from 7 degree's to 2 degree's quicker I have ever seen before and its bloody cold right now

Thanks for keeping this thread updated too

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
We are expecting more snow here in the UK, mainly South-East according the the weather. Its got realy cold here in Cornwall today. Went from 7 degree's to 2 degree's quicker I have ever seen before and its bloody cold right now

Thanks for keeping this thread updated too

You're welcome. Stay warm. I'm keeping my eye on the weather and will keep the updates coming. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one paying attention.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Item:

Winter Weather Draining Blood Supply
Storms that have whipped much of the nation this month are being blamed for a serious shortfall in blood donations.
By William M. Welch, USA TODAY
www.usatoday.com...

The American Red Cross says its national blood supply is at the lowest level for January in 10 years because winter storms and resulting travel disruptions caused cancellation of 14,000 donations.
"Winter weather is what has really caused this problem," said Debbie Estes, director of communications for the American Red Cross' southeast region. The shortage is most severe in the Northeast, which has been hammered with January snow, and in the Southeast, said Estes, who is based in Charlotte.

I'm a person that believes donating blood is always a good idea. In light of this story I hope others consider this.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be an act of recruitment.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
We had some record temps in Queensland yesterday,up around 47 C in some parts or 50 at one of the outback pubs.

"Our temperature gauge out the front of the hotel here reached 50C and ours always does vary a couple of degrees from the official readings," he said.
Outback swelters in record heat
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I've been seeing the coverage of the Australian floods, and have also taken note of the temps. Are these high temps normal for the areas experiencing them, or is Australia in the midst of an unusual heatwave as well as massive flooding?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Most of the flood waters have drained away although Victoria in the South is still being affected,The temps do get high in the desert areas but everytime i look at weather all i see is records tumbling.The question is which is better,extreme heat or extreme cold like what you get in the North.I was cold once and i didnt like it,I will take the heat.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Item:

Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People
by Human_Alien
started on 1/28/2011 @ 09:19 PM

Groundhog Day. 'Gotta love it. Bundle up people...
edit on 1/28/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainIraq

www.wunderground.com...

The Day After Tomorrow could happen. Heres a collection of evidence that someone has compiled.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

Thank you for the link. Will investigate further.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join