It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2006

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It's not unseasonally hot where I'm located in Oz, but the other day (day after NYD) Sydney recorded 44 degrees Celsius (don't forget it's summer over here
).

Now that is exceptionally high for Sydney to reach that temp, its usually in the low-mind 30s during summer.

*edited for spelling and grammar*

[edit on 4/1/2006 by SonOfDaedalus]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Japan struggles to cope with record snowfall

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan was bracing for more snow on Friday after some of the heaviest snowfall on record that has left 57 people dead and paralysed transport.

Almost 4 metres (13 ft) of snow has piled up in the worst-hit areas of Niigata near the Japan Sea coast, though the snowiest season of the year is yet to come.

Television pictures showed drifts burying the ground floors of houses and almost covering street lamps.

Now that is a lot of snow...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
More on Japan's incredible snowfall:

Japan struck by deadly snowdrifts

Disaster relief teams have been dispatched across Japan after the heaviest snowfall on record, Japanese media is reporting.
At least 61 people have died and more than 1,000 have been injured as a result of the snowfall, which began last month.

In some of the worst-hit areas the snow is more than three metres (10ft) deep.

Some of the victims lost their lives when their homes collapsed under the pressure of the snow.

more...

:shk:

Amazing.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
3 metres of snow???

And I think we have it bad here when we get dumped on. Compared to that, we got it easy.

It's been warm (above zero celcius :lol
and relatively dry here the past few days.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm from Raynham, Massachusetts. (Southeastern Mass).......I gotta say the temps have been leapfrogging the past few weeks and they have been causing thick onsets of fog all over my area as they bounce. Tomorrow, Jan. 12th, it's forecast to possibly hit low 60's. WTF? Something is definitely up. And as for the thundersnow...... we've had about 2 snow systems with 4 and up inches hit through early december and both were accompanied by scary lightning streaks and deep azz thunder. I could be wrong as I have only been alive for 24 years.....but something doesn't feel right. If the spikes up and down continue or worsen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quake. New york had a weak one yesterday I think.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
[edit on 12-1-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

January 'Heat Wave' Hits Upstate New York

The unseasonably warm weather will continue through tomorrow, with temperatures to again hit the 50s today and Friday across much of upstate New York.

Yesterday, the thermometer nearly hit 60 in Buffalo and Rochester, with 40- and 50-degree temperatures over the rest of the region.

Yup... It's happening everywhere....

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Failure of Kenya's rains puts 2.5m at risk of famine

Nomadic farmers in the arid wastelands of northern Kenya are dying with their cattle, as charities warn a famine on the scale of Niger is threatening the region.

So far, scores of people, mainly children, have died and the UN has warned that 2.5 million people are at risk of starvation because seasonal rains failed for the second time in a year. The Kenyan government has declared a national disaster and called for 11 billion Kenyan shillings, about £90m, to be jointly raised by Kenya and the international community.

In the worst-hit north-eastern region close to the Somali border, many pastoral farmers have lost their entire livestock because rains expected in April and then October failed to arrive.

This is obviously happening globally.

:shk:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Just had a report from a neighbor - here in central Canada - she saw a huge flock of ducks or geese flying north yesterday.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
N/W Arizona, (Kingman - 3300' altitude), unseasonably warm, days running low - mid 60's.
Lows in the high 20's.

Phoenix has had no rain for 83 consecutive days.
About the same for us with maybe a couple of tenths in November.

Predictions are for warmer than normal until March.

Rain/possibly snow predicted for Saturday or Sunday.

Last year, a lot of rain for a desert area, this year, not much so far.

Maybe we'll get lots of rain during the summer monsoon season.

Lake Mead is quite low, not historically low, but getting close.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well I have been feeling that the winters has been pushed very winter season a littler bit more to the up the winter months.

This just my opinion.

Now today the local news are bringing concerns of the crops in the south that depend on the winter cold months to develop.

Already the Peaches may be affected if they don't get enough cold days in order for the trees to produce fruits.

We are still enjoying spring like weather.

[edit on 13-1-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Here in the southern Rockies, 1 mile in elevation, Tshirts and shorts!

More weird bird behavior. Yesterday I watched a flock of pigeons fly in a tight formation over a small area until they were so tired some of them fell out of the sky. The flock never broke up as long as I watched them. I eventually drove away totally amazed. Is this normal?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It's been extremely warm here for this time of year. It hasn't snowed since New Years eve and there is no snow on the ground here in Toronto. I've been out in just a sweater, no jacket needed, which is really odd for January around these parts. Normally it's -15 C, snowy and all around miserable. I'm not complaining, but still

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Weird weather here in NC today. Morning forecast didn't show the craziness thats happening right now with lots of thunderstorms, and a predicted 20 degree morning tomorrow... yesterday i was in shorts and it was 70 degrees out.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Arizona is starting it's 11th season of drought, which is leading to the driest winter in over 500 years. Governor of Arizona is concerned it will lead to the worst wild fire season in US history. These weather patterns point to another dustbowl era that is far more extreme than in the 30's. Winter grass fires are have/still ravaging Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas.

State could have its driest winter season in centuries - USA Today
Arizona's mountains are virtually bare, with snowpack conditions worse than they were at the same time in 2002 — a year that set records as one of the driest in five centuries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

New Wave Of Oklahoma Wildfires Flare

Last time this happened the ancient Anasazi natives migrated out, starved out or killed each other off in the Southwest US.

www.drought.unl.edu...

Why Winter Has Not Started

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Here in New England we are having another thunderstorm. This is extremly weird to me. Fall and spring are always huge TStorm seasons but I have never that I recall seen a thunderstorm in January much less several.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hi all,

I'm from middle earth ( New Zealand ). It's meant to be summer here but our weather is all up the shoot.

Alot of little earthquakes have seem to be the norm lately. And yes I'm well aware that we are on a major fault line .

I'm glad the winds have eased as I do not like the equanos winds (excuse typo lol ).

Even though its summer the rain is warm and air temp as well.

DARKRAVENESS xxxxxx

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

Originally posted by zenlover28
it almost seems like late March here.

Ditto... I was actually thinking early march.

58 in Southern Indiana grass turning green

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
In Northern Norway right now:
Heavy storm with some hurricane force winds and minus 40 degrees celsius
(that´s COLD!).

Photo: Goggen Hansen - (click the picture for more pictures)

It´s also extremely cold in Moscow, minus 30-something celsius. Many homeless people have frozen to death already.

Photo: Scanpix (click the picture for more cold pictures from Moscow)

For those who can read norwegian:
Dagladet: Stormen herjer i Nord-Norge ("Temperaturer pa 40 minusgrader flere steder")

Also: Statoil has evacuated some 1,100 people from their oil facilities because of this freezing storm in Norway.

VG: 1100 maa flykte fra uvaeret paa Melkoeya

Photo: Scanpix - "Richard With" photographed near Melkoeya

[edit on 2006/1/19 by Hellmutt]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join