It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2006

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I wish we could just switch everything back to normal again.

Are there any record cold temperatures going on at the moment? I know there have been roller coasters happening through the Winter, is it continuing now in the Spring?

Troy

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here in Iowa we had tempratures of nearly and sometimes at 80+ degrees! worse yet, a Tornado ripped right through a county not too far off of mine...yikes...pretty unusual for Tornado's to hit I think...also on a relatively unrelated note, mumps have been reported quite a bit more often than usual, 500 some cases opposed to the 3-4 cases we usually get...

I do have to say I have little experience in living in Iowa but from what I gather it's quite unusual weather...

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

Are there any record cold temperatures going on at the moment? I know there have been roller coasters happening through the Winter, is it continuing now in the Spring?

Troy

This might not come as a shocker to all of you, but it's been cold in Norway lately. Actually we experienced the coldest march in 48 years.

This is the only link I could find with english text: Fresh snow for Easter

On the 3. of march we recorded -41,4 degrees C up north at Finnmarksvidda. (-42,52 degrees Fahrenheit)
In norwegian

(Fun fact: at the cold temperature of negative 40, this temperature is the same on both the Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales.

The middle temp stayed on average 4 degrees C bellow normal for this month (march)

Coincidence or just another face of "global warming"

Vaak

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm not sure that this weather is a result of global warming. One of my earliest memories (age 3 or 4) is hunting Easter eggs in the snow on Staton Island, NY. I'll be 53 in a few months, so that was a long time ago. How does the weather now stack up against the weather patterns over the past fifty years?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Thanks Vaak,

Thankfully this area of the country doesn't get the full force of the weather craziness, but it still can be odd.

Troy

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
uuuggg This morning they said it was only going to be 79 degrees. It is now about 87 outside. I just checked all the websites for the different news stations, and they all predict totaly different weather for this week. I mean there is about 10 - 15 degree difference on all their weather predictions. They all changed their predictions today at noon to 83 degrees. It is 2 hours later and it is 87. Sometimes I wish they would just come out and say they dont have a clue. It is April and we have already had 2 days in the 90's and quite a few days in the upper 80's. They say "strange is an understatement" for our weather. At least they got that part right. We dont see 90's here until late July on a warm year and mid August on a normal year. Shoot 3 years ago we didnt see any 90's and only a few days in the upper 80's. The storms we have been getting have been dropping hail, and flashing lightning, but very little rain. We just got back from camping down at the lake, and I could swear that it was starting to look more like a desert than anything else. I really think that the only thing keeping us from looking like a desert here is the fact that we are all wattering everything. That is not going to last though. I give it a month, maybe less before they start rationing the water. They say with the gail force winds we have been having on top of the heat, any moisture we had from previous rains has been lost. Considering we have not had much and had a dry warm winter, we are going to be seriously hurting come June or July. I dont even want to think about August.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
UPDATE: it is 4:00 and it is now 92 degrees outside and my thermometer shows it is still rising.

It was only supposed to be 79 today

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That's pretty warm considering the forecast. That is a big difference in temperatures.

Troy

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think the earth is telling us something... Everywhere has had completely abnormal weather and the earthquakes are only going to get worse.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well, its 4 am, just got up for work, stepped outside and was greeted by the Northern Lights. Very unusual here for this time of year. Nice neony pale green. Anyone else see these.

People at work say its very rare for this time of year here. Of course no links as hardy anyone else is outside now. Seen the same thing two weeks ago. Anyone know if these are viewable this late in the year. I don't live way up north, only 2 hours from the 48th parrellel.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here is a good link for info on the Northern lights

The season is typically in October, February, and March. In Canada, this site says you typically only see it 2 - 4 times a year.

So, yea it is odd that you have seen them twice in April. I am not surprised though. The sun has been acting up so to speak this year. For instance, this year, on our last snow, it was 9 degrees outside. The sun was so intence even at 9 degrees, it melted the snow....all the snow. They said it was only 77 outside but the thermometers that are out in the sun say 101. I was outside for about an hour watching my son practice baseball and let me tell you, they might say it is only 77 out there, but that sun is seriously cooking. After 30 min, we got in the car because we were already burning.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Violent thunderstorms ahead and risk of serious flooding!

Accuweather: Storm Menaces The Central States

Thursday, April 27, 2006 2:11 PM EDT

This one will hit the Central states hard. It's a powerful spring storm that lacks in only one category -- that being cold air. If this were winter we would be talking about crippling snow accumulations rather than rain, and it will rain. A soaking rain will break out across Kansas, Oklahoma and southern Nebraska Friday. The downpours will advance through Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa Friday night and Saturday. The most serious aspect of the storm will be its slow movement. In some areas, moderate to heavy rainfall will occur for more than 36 hours, greatly increasing the threat of serious flooding.

In addition to all the rain, strong to severe thunderstorms will rumble through Texas Friday.

Click the link for the full version and/or updates.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
GOOD GRIEF!!!! we are just going from one extreme to another. First the hot dry abnormal weather to this! We are so soggy right now. Currently under a flood watch. It started raining at abou 8:30 this morning and is not expected to stop until sometime monday evening. It is raining 1/2 to an inch an hour right now and expected to for something like 36 hours before it starts letting up. I sit high up on a hill, so I doubt that I will have any flood issues here, but for goodness sakes, there we are so drenched that water is comming out of crackes in the curbs and a few spots in the street. I want that sun back darn it! It has been gloomy and rainy for about a week now. When it starts flooding, I will go shoot some pics to post.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
recently here in Philly there were random snow "storms" lasting only minutes in the middle of a relatively long period of 60 - 80 degree weather

one of these "storms" lasted all morning, and later that day the weather ended up nearing 70

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The way the weather is now, we may not be able to swim in the lake untill it the weather warms up more consistently. Night time is sometimes in the low 40s, and daytime temperatures can be anywhere from cool to a little warm. It's different than being cooked like in some Spring seasons of the past. There apparently is a short period of cold weather that can occur in early May, however. We'll see what happens.

Troy

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
More than 180,000 people have been evacuated from the Guangdong Province in China's south. Typhoon Chanchu is approaching...

Xinhuanet: Guangdong evacuates 180,000 people as "Chanchu" approaches

May 17, 2006

More than 180,000 people have been evacuated from coastal areas to safe places in south China's Guangdong Province as typhoon Chanchu, the first tropical storm of this year, is approaching.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More here:
People's Daily Online: More than 180,000 evacuated as "Chanchu" approaches

[edit on 2006/5/17 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
May 21st 2006. Scarborough ON CA... 2 PM EDT sleet and snow flakes. Bizzare.

Victor K.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
What is the weather normally like in Ontario this time of year?

Troy

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
i live in eastern WA and in this area we recently had 20 degrees above normal temps which then changed in a short time, with winds nearly 70 mph and two tornado warnings. This area rarely gets thunderstorms much less gets tornado warnings.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
More than 100 feared dead in flash floods in northern Thailand. The flash floods were triggered by days of heavy rain.

Siste.no: More than 100 feared dead in northern Thailand flash floods

More than 100 people were feared dead Wednesday as searchers recovered corpses from a sea of mud spawned by flash floods in northern Thailand, local officials said.

Rescue teams in helicopters or on foot tried to reach thousands of people stranded in their houses, on trains and in open terrain devastated by floods triggered by days of heavy rain across several northern provinces. The official toll stood at 26 people dead and 92 missing, but Boonriang Chuchai-saengrat, chief health officer of Uttaradit province, said he feared more than 100 had perished in his province alone.

Dozens of houses in Lablae were engulfed in mud, their residents trapped within. Others were stranded on the roofs of their houses or in trees. Boonriang appealed to government authorities to set up a disaster identification center like one established following the 2004 Asian tsunami to record unclaimed bodies and temporarily bury corpses for later identification.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join