It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2006

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Winter Warmest Ever on Record in Canada

The winter of 2005-2006 has been Canada's warmest on record and the federal agency Environment Canada said Monday it was investigating whether it's a sign of global warming.

Between December and February, the country was 3.9 degrees above normal _ the warmest winter season since temperatures were first recorded in 1948. Environment Canada climatologist Bob Whitewood said it smashed the previous record set in 1987 by 0.9 degrees.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You beat me to that one loam. Good article. Here's the CBC coverage.

BTW - I really don't buy this "coming faster than we expected" line.

Fact is, the Canadian government opened up the Yukon to homesteading at least 10 years ago. ...The Yukon used to be permafrost, but it's okay for farming?

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I believe it.

In hindsight, this winter just flew right by, with the snowfalls and storms not comparing at all to past winters. Here in Toronto the ground has been free of snow for the vast majority of the winter, and when it has had snow on the ground it's only stayed for a couple of days max.

Yesterday and the day before have been quite warm. it's been a nice change. Apparently there's a chance for flurries today. Talk ab out mixing it up...

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hmmm...

Freak Gust of Wind

A freak gust of wind sent 13 utility poles crashing onto Farrington Highway yesterday, trapping motorists under live power lines but causing no serious injuries.

The huge wooden poles splintered in two about 1 p.m., some crushing cars, and fell across all four lanes of the highway in what many said looked like a hurricane scene — or a disaster movie.

"This was a cross between 'War of the Worlds' and 'Earthquake,' " said Bernie Baker, contest director for the Triple Crown of Surfing who had been at the Buffalo's Big Board Surfing Classic in Makaha.

The incident closed a half-mile stretch of Farrington Highway between Haleakala Avenue and Lualualei Naval Road, cutting off access to the Wai'anae Coast until the Army opened Kolekole Pass to civilian traffic about 2 p.m. That bypass was to remain open until at least through today's morning rush hour, officials said.

Look at these pics...

[edit on 15-3-2006 by loam]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Crap, imagine the wind gust that can take down a telephone pole! That's pretty crazy.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It's been very windy here the past two days, too. It makes it quite cold.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hawaii's twister

They are now saying it was a tornado that went through Hawaii. Does anyone know if that has EVER happened before?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Then there was a monster cyclone in Australia. I think we may be in for a wild ride, unless things change for the better.

Troy

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Hmmm...

Freak Gust of Wind

A freak gust of wind sent 13 utility poles crashing onto Farrington Highway yesterday, trapping motorists under live power lines but causing no serious injuries.

The huge wooden poles splintered in two about 1 p.m., some crushing cars, and fell across all four lanes of the highway in what many said looked like a hurricane scene — or a disaster movie.

[...]

Something similiar to this happened two weeks back 2km north of my location.

30 minutes that spelt chaos

Friday March 10, 2006

SUBANG JAYA: Residents in this densely populated suburb outside Petaling Jaya thought a hurricane must have swept across their neighbourhood when a freak storm that lasted 30 minutes uprooted trees, blew off roofs, toppled over lampposts and caused chaos.

The worst-hit areas were SS14, SS17 and SS18, where the residents described the blustery weather conditions that started at 3pm yesterday as “nothing like they had ever seen before.”

SRK Subang Jaya in SS14/5 had to summon parents to take the pupils home after the winds tore away part of the roof and sent tiles flying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The thing is, this isn't really a freak storm. It happens almost every year, but in different locations. The local meteorological will then claim that it was a 'microburst'

It was like a mini-hurricane

Saturday March 11, 2006

PETALING JAYA: Wind speeds of more than 30 knots (15m per second) were recorded on Thursday in Subang Jaya which experienced conditions similar to a mini-hurricane.

The Meteorological Services Department however said it was neither a hurricane nor a tornado that hit Subang Jaya, despite residents’ reports of spiralling rainfall.

“This was the strongest wind detected in these areas this year,” said a spokesman.

Thursday's thunderstorm that lasted 30 minutes lashed Subang Jaya at 3pm, uprooting trees, and blowing off billboards and roof tiles.

And then somebody will write an angry letter because the meteorological department is obfuscating:

A twister by any other name

Monday March 13, 2006

THURSDAY’S devastating storm that caused widespread damage should not be called a “freak storm” since it occurs almost every year without fail.

These storms have occurred at different places and this must have made those who witnessed them think that they are “freak storms”.

What Malaysians should recognise is that this country is affected by devastating wind storms which are normally known as twisters or tornadoes.

These twisters are highly localised and short-lived but are as dangerous as their American counterparts. Their existence has been reported in the UK and Europe for the past few decades.

I tend to agree with that last piece. I've seen one of these 'freak storms' happening right in front of my eyes. It doesn't look anything like the description of what a microburst is. If a high speed vortex of wind isn't a twister, I don't know what is.

In the words of the above writer, 'the local scientific community could not be frank enough to call a spade a spade. Rather than acknowledging that tornadoes exist in this country, the local weather people have bent themselves backwards by trying to call the tornadoes “land spouts”, which is actually just a lesser-known name for twisters or tornadoes. '

I remember once some guy from the meteorological department was on TV commenting about a video of a waterspout caught of the eastern coast. It looked like a twister, but the guy said it was "just a waterspout".

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
looks like new englanders might have more to contend with than the
occational noreaster this year.

wwwa.accuweather.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I live in Flagstaff AZ and Have been here for four years now. This year was our Shortest winter ever...we really only had snow on the ground for more than 24 hrs twice this year....and both in the month of march...before that we had had less than an INCH of snow on the ground.

This is very odd...as Flagstaff(Snowbowl) usually gets quite a bit of snow....'

But I imagine its just "normal weather cycles", cause everyone knows that theres no such thing as global warming(regardless of whether or not Humans have had any affect).

El senor Pom Pom rides again

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A tornado hit Northern Germany today killing 2 people and tearing roofs of houses and overturning cars.

This is a very rare event in Europe.

External Source
BERLIN (Reuters) - A rare tornado wreaked havoc in the northern German city of Hamburg on Monday,
tearing the roofs off houses, overturning cars and killing two people, authorities said.
German Tornado

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Hawaii's twister

They are now saying it was a tornado that went through Hawaii. Does anyone know if that has EVER happened before?

It's happened here several times. Although this was just a gust. We were having 45-60mph winds that day, and the poles were termite ridden and gave way.

Lanai had a tornado the other night that caused some damage, and the Kona Coast had Hail. Right now the Big Island is under a winter storm warning, and we're in our 6th straight week of rain. We have a weird low pressure system parked over us so that the radar and sat photos stay perfectly clear all day, then suddenly these huge storms come out of nowhere.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
For what it's worth:

1. San Fransisco has just experienced the 2nd wettest March on record (records kept since 1850, if I'm not mistaken).

2. In Southern California, there was snow in March in the San Fernando Valley, approximately 700 feet above sea level. It didn't stick, but it was there (this has happened once that I can recall, back in the mid 80's...).

3. Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, and San Diego counties are under a flood warning - meaning it's occuring or is expected to occur - as I write this. We had a very dry winter here, but this spring it's been raining consistently. (We are also under a torando watch, although I doubt conditions will deteriorate to actually see one, let alone touch down. We tend to panic about thunderstorms...:lol

Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What about the center of the US and the tornados and softball sized hail? Sounds like quite an event. Are we headed toward worse weather?

Troy

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There was a recent BBC special - quite good - and scary. It says the junk in the atmosphere is actually keeping the planet artificially cool. I watched the program and I'm pretty much sold on the idea that the planet is approaching an ecolgical point-of-no-return. Sad too, I like this planet.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
All i care about is that there few hurricanes and otrnados this year and we get a hot humid summer in England (not scotland) and that its like in Cali hot hot HOT.

So that we could sun bath and grow a lot of pot, weed ganja , hash plant keif

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman
All i care about is that there few hurricanes and otrnados this year and we get a hot humid summer in England (not scotland) and that its like in Cali hot hot HOT.

So that we could sun bath and grow a lot of pot, weed ganja , hash plant keif
I live in Southern Calif,believe me it's been way too cold and gloomy,heavy rains I'm having trouble keeping my lawns green,I've had to break out my long pants,I never wear anything but shorts usually in April

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Our meteorologists are saying that "strange....is an understatment" today. Our temps today ranged from 91 - 96. We broke all records with this one and they are expecting it again tomorow. That with little chance of rain, I am starting to wonder if the midwest isn't turning into a desert. I should have turned on the AC today, but I just couldnt.....its only April for cryn out loud. The last time it was even close to this warm in april was back in the late 1930's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join