It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2006

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hello,

I live in the piedmont triad area of North Carolina. Today I raised a window in my room where I was doing some class work and it felt wonderful outside. Yesterday it was bitter cold as a cold front had moved in a couple days before. If I didn't know any better, judging by today, I would say it was spring time. Tomorrow they are calling for the temperature to be in the upper 60's near 70's.

To tell you the truth I can't say we have had a winter. Back in early November we had a little ice storm and that's about it. I have not noticed any constant cold periods. Something is out of whack.

My first post!

[edit on 19-1-2006 by hiattCIA]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
yea, I'm from the piedmont area too(clemmons/winston-salem), and it has been awfully warm for winter and the precepertaion has been really low, except for the other day it rained like a booger. But it feels like the seasons are off by one, lke winter is spring, and spring will be summer, and summer will be like fall, etc. etc.but yeah

[edit on 20-1-2006 by spaceman16]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Central Canada -

Yesterday it was -30 C - without the windchill.

Today it is 0.9 C - almost +33 F. Plus we had rain, now snow with thunder and lightening.

...No real winter yet, although some good snow.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The weather is downright balmy here in Winterpeg - about three degrees above the 1944 record right now, and just over ten degrees above normal January temperatures. Environment Canada meteorologist Dale Marciski says it is not global warming causing the warm weather, but a low-pressure system off the Pacific coast - and "also the absence of real cold air across the north." Which apparently also is not related to global warming.

So does that mean it IS related to climate change, and we're already past the warming part of the cycle? Winterpeg is about to become temperate while other parts of the globe chill? Or what?

Winnipeg is on the way to setting a new record for the warmest January ever. ...Weather experts say mild Pacific air is pushing the mercury to heights never before seen – or at least not seen as frequently – in a Winnipeg January.

Environment Canada meteorologist Dale Marciski says the average temperature in Winnipeg so far this January has been –7.7 C, while the normal average is –17.8 C. ..."The old record was –10.6 C, set back in January 1944, so we're running about three degrees above the record right now, and there's only six more days to go [in January]," Marciski told CBC Wednesday morning.

While many Winnipeggers have been secretly blessing global warming as they leave their parkas and tuques in the closet, Marciski says this year's odd temperatures aren't due to climate change. Instead, he credits a low-pressure system off the Pacific coast. ..."That is the reason why it's warm – but also the absence of real cold air across the north. That hasn't really been dropping down very far across the Prairies as it would often do at this time of year."

'Peg set to smash 60-year-old weather record

Ah. The winds of change...

And don't forget - Canada opened up the Yukon for homesteading a few years ago already. What do they know that we don't?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This winter has been more spring-like than winter. Compared to the winter of 04/05 this weather is warm as hell. We had a few cold days this week but the past few have been really nice and warm.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How about a snowcone?

Frozen Tsunami
The two massive ice surges, known to Alaska Natives as ivus, were the city's largest in more than a quarter of a century and stunned residents who had never seen large blocks of ice rammed ashore.

No snowcones here, not even water to make ice.

Phoenix broke it's second longest dry spell record. No rain has fallen since october 18, 2005 and today marks the 103rd day with no rain. Long range forecast indicates a slight chance of rain on February 10th...don't count on it.

Record dry spell is no picnic for weather forecasters

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

State could have its driest winter season in centuries

As much of Arizona enters an 11th year of drought conditions, the state could experience its driest winter season in centuries.
And that has officials worried about agriculture, water supplies and the threat of wildfires.

Arizona's mountains are virtually bare, with snowpack conditions worse than they were at the same time in 2002 — a year that set records as one of the driest in five centuries.

Rural areas are bracing for water shortages by early summer if rains don't come.

Looks very serious...

[edit on 3-2-2006 by loam]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

No snowcones here, not even water to make ice.

Phoenix broke it's second longest dry spell record. No rain has fallen since october 18, 2005 and today marks the 103rd day with no rain. Long range forecast indicates a slight chance of rain on February 10th...don't count on it.

Record dry spell is no picnic for weather forecasters

Quite the opposite situation up here.

I'm in Ottawa On, Canada, and we're having a very wet season.
Normally we get quite a bit of snow, and very cold winds, and I remember a couple years ago when the temperature dropped to something like -40 C with the wind chill.
Today around 5:00PM it just suddenly started to hail, lasting for about 20 minutes, and it has just been POURING rain since then.
In the past few weeks there has been light rains and freezing rains, that
There are toads crossing roads here that had hibernated in ditches that are now melted and filled with water.

The average temperature has been 0C or above all week now.
This is what Environment Canada has for my city today at midnight:

Current forcast from Environment Canada:
Ottawa (Kanata - Orléans)
Currently Observed at: Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l Airport 5 February 2006 12:00 AM EST

Light Rain
Temperature 1 °C
Pressure/ Tendency 99.3 kPa↓
Visibility 11 km
Humidity 94 %
Dewpoint 1 °C
Wind E 37 km/h gust 58 km/h

[edit on 5/2/06 by ju stab urden]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Extremes and severe polarities in many facets lately. Seems the state of the world's geopolitical arena are in unison or synchronicity with the weather, and lends creedence to the saying, "humanity is but a reflection of the enviroment".

Britain faces drought after dry winter
Southeast England faces a summer of drought after the driest 15 months in 30 years, but northwest Scotland and Wales have had more rain than usual.

Texas Cattlemen Reel as Drought, Wildfires Destroy Pastures
Drought conditions across Texas, the largest U.S. cattle- raising state, have parched pastures. Wildfires have destroyed much of the vegetation north of Dallas, adding to the woes of an industry with more than $6 billion in annual sales in the state.

Floods leave over 900 homeless in Tanzania
Local authorities have sheltered 938 people whose homes were ruined by floods in the wake of 14-hour non-stop rains in western Tanzania.

Coupled with high oil prices all this doesn't bode well for the world's food supply.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

Earth's north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America and toward Siberia at such a clip that Alaska might lose its spectacular Northern Lights in the next 50 years, scientists said Thursday.

Besides the failing ocean currents in the Atlantic, the above story may also have an effect on the strange weather we're experiencing. Here in Eastern Canada, we've had the mildest winter I can remember (I'm 59) and it is the same right across the country.

Today, though, I've had to dig my way through at least a foot of heavy wet snow which fell onto green lawns overnight.

Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Yesterday it was 58 degrees here is the Southwestern part of Virginia. Then there was this rain that moved inas well as a quick, roughly 10 degree drop in the temperature, then dropping to around 20 degrees colder in around 2 hours. Today didn't get above freezing and was around the 28-30 degree mark. The heavy part of the rain storm was over in a short time, and sum thunder rolled for a short time. It flurried snow a little later on after this and today. It's like two different seasons on two different days.

When we get rain anymore, it's here and gone like those quick thunder showers; it's like a storm system doesn't last any length of time and then it's gone.

Does anyone know there is a haarp.com site: www.haarp.com...

Troy

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Clemmons , North Carolina again last night it snowed here without any expectation it was enough to delay schools for two hours I thought it was a little weird

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Apparently New York has been hit by a major snow storm. Norwegian media say more than 100,000 are without power. People are urged to stay at home. They predict this storm to make it into the top 10 worst snow storms in the city's history.

BBC: Snow storm hits US Northeast

12 February 2006

A major snow storm has hit US mid-Atlantic and north-east states, shutting down air travel and leaving thousands without power. More than 2,000 flights were cancelled in the region on Sunday morning, causing chaos at airports around the country. New York city's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, said the storm was dangerous and urged people to stay at home.

The National Weather Service is predicting as much as 60cm (24 inches) of snow across the New York metro region. This would put the storm into the top 10 worst snow storms in the city's history, the weather service said. New York had more than 2,500 snow ploughs and salt spreaders at work, along with snow-melting machines that could dispose of up to 60 tonnes of snow per hour, officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Extremes and severe polarities in many facets lately. Seems the state of the world's geopolitical arena are in unison or synchronicity with the weather, and lends creedence to the saying, "humanity is but a reflection of the enviroment".

I was wondering when someone would comment on the drought in the American SW and the storms in the Indian Ocean. The two events are not examples of extreme weather -- they are related to one another through the ENSO.

The ENSO causes both. In contrast, heavy wet winters in the Southwest U.S. also coincide with dry winters in SE Asia and the Indian Ocean. It's a pattern that goes back as far as climatologists have been able to recreate the historic weather patterns.

As much as the environmental industry and the media want to, they cannot blame it on Bush.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
yeah that cyclone in the mid indian ocean (carina) has been ticking away for a fair while and that major one near madagascar last month was also extreemly long lived (and intense)......just hope carina is still there doing its thing when I head to the mentawiis in a weeks time and send us truckloads of beautiful groundswells!

Also it has been the warmest summer on record on the east coast of aus (official as of 3 days ago).......what has been the big suprise for me has been the tropical-like water temperatures that have persisted on the east coast all summer.......normaly you will get some warm weeks with the water temp up around say the 23C mark, but the water has been hitting 25C+ consistently for weeks and weeks.....

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
this is weird, isn't it???

A blizzard in Algeria???

www.int.iol.co.za...

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Isnt to weird, but this winter has been quite dry, and the local stations are forcasting another 90 days of low rain fall. Going to be real hot and dry, and the fire danger is already hitting very high levels, but i dont think is "weird," it just seems to be a little global warming

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Its March- I'm in Sunny Southern California- it's hailing outside.
Can I get a WTF?
Apparently it's also snowing in Mojave.

I know this happens from time to time, albeit rarely, but may I repeat that it is March- January or early Feb would have made much more sense. We didn't even really have much of a winter this year up, except for a few oddball weeks, but now instead of getting hotter than hell early, it's suddenly decided to give us our winter?

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah, it's been in the 70s the past two days. What's odd about that is it was in the 20s not that long ago. Honestly it is very close to spring, so 70s aren't completely out of the picture, but the change recently is quite drastic.

Are we going to get snow in the summer?

Troy

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join