It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Has no one else been mart enough to realize AMM says he plays soccer?

Yup. I have a game tonight actually in my 22-35 year old league.

I play indoor though, 5 on 5 + keepers. It's played in sort of a hockey rink on turf, with the goals built into the boards. It's the only team sport I can find with an organized league that I can actually play in with my knee. Obviously I can't play football, I'd screw it up again for sure in basketball, so I play soccer.

I played growing up as well untill my freshman year in Highschool because it interfered with football. It's not a terrible sport - far from that IMO - but you Euros going on and on about it makes me laugh. It's not physical - at all. The skill required is fairly high, buit no higher IMO then basketball or football.

And after watching Real Madrid play Arsenal in the Champions League today, I am officially ready to say that the fitness level required is COMPLETELY over hyped. Most of those guys are LITTERALLY STANDING about 80% of the time. Sure, once in a while a striker will run at a defender, or a midfielder will make a forward run. So what? The fitness level required doesn't even compare to a sport like basketball, where you are sprinting the majority of the time.

Look, of all the people here, I am probably the only one that follows and played both sports at a high level, and while I respect soccer for what it is, IMO it just doesn't compare with football. It's just not as physically or mentally demanding. It doesn't require the size/speed/strength of football. It doesn't require the insane amounts of mental awareness. It doesn't require the pain thresh hold.

In fact, I think this debate is all wrong. If you want to compare sports, compare soccer to basketball. They require the same kind of skills and athleticism (though basketball players are the most athletic athletes in the world, so I wouldn't get into that one...hint hint), they are both based on runs, picks, and angle passing. Both require the same kind of creativity with the ball.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
My dad caught me playing soccer when I was little and told me that he didn't mind me playing it as long as I wore a dress.
That pretty much ended my soccer career.
[edit on 21-2-2006 by Dr Love]

Classic!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

My dad caught me playing soccer when I was little and told me that he didn't mind me playing it as long as I wore a dress.

Yes, That's because you americans play soccer like little girls.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Peronemlin]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
Yes, That's because you americans play soccer like little girls.
[edit on 21-2-2006 by Peronemlin]

Nice try, but the MLS rivals the Italian leagues for brutality. Spain plays soccer like little girls. US athletes, being all that is Alpha male, attempt to turn the sissy sport of soccer into something more manly.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

That pretty much ended my soccer career.

Peace

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Dr Love]

So he prefers you to play sports in tights?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Sorry Doc couldn't help myself on that one, toungue was firmly in cheek though old chap

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
:shk: I guess they dont know how to expres them self when they like something.

If one of them admits he is going to get spanked
by the others, so they wach original football alone with out the other knowing, it's the forbiten plejure for them lol

Take my advice gather in a bar and wach a game with a few beers and then see how it is.

Or better buy a tiket to the uefa chapmpions league and see a real atmosfere in the stadium.

I guess you are all little girls since you played it.
But remember you didint play football you played soccer.
Once you are going to change your opinion that soccer is in fact football you
will get the picture.

You talk about american football a game that is static, they charge once at 10 minutes and the game go's one way.

1 there is no sucesive passing, just 1 pass and that is it, in american football there is no such thing as passing combination.

2 The game can not develope alternatives I mean more than 1 alternative for passing.

3 No passing back no passing on the side.

4 you run 10 yards per 10 minutes that is right what you call efort is 10 yards how lame is that.
You play 5 seconds and then rest like litle girls for 10 minutes

5 just compare the 2 sports has skills is it hard to hit the ball with your foot and head or is it harder to use your hands, of courseusing hands will require a lower skill.

6 A Football field is biger than a american football field, it would not be enough for players to run around.

7 Passing the ball in american football is one way just to see how tactical your game is, we can pass by air we can pass low passes on the level of the grass, we can pass with our heads, we can add efect to our passes we can pass more than once.

8 dont try to kick the ball you will hurt u'r feet, I can probally trow a rugby ball, it's pice of cake compared to original football where kicking the ball is an art.

9 compare the toch down line and the goal in which one is it harder to score?
you just have to pass a line, we have to get the ball in a smaller portion and passed a goal keeper, again which one requiers more skill?

[edit on 22-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm not really a sports fan, but I've watched several american football games and I've watched even more soccer (what the rest of the world calls football) games.

Between the two, I prefer watching soccer. Watching a skilled striker dribble the ball past four defenders impresses the hell out of me. Or watching someone take a free kick and make the ball curve like a banana. Skillz

American football is kinda slow and technical for me, and the massive amounts of padding kinda killed the brutality factor... I'd much rather watch rugby.

D

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If you really look at the two games, they're actually quite different if you really haven't noticed. The only thing comparable to football is gaelic football. American football if anything is like league or union. The two games require completely different physiques, levels of fitness, sheer size, speed etc. One uses a combination of hands and feet and the other uses only feet.

While we're at it we might as well try to compare baseball and cricket and download pictures of various male athletes with no shirts on to see who are the better players.

Apples and Oranges people.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I suppose I prefer watching things that exhibit finnesse rather than brute strength. So, assuming I know nothing about the rules of either game, soccer would be the one that displays finnesse and dexterity, while american football just seems bewildering to me -- run two minutes, pause and strategize for 10 minutes, then repeat again.... not enough flow for me.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I suppose I prefer watching things that exhibit finnesse rather than brute strength. So, assuming I know nothing about the rules of either game, soccer would be the one that displays finnesse and dexterity, while american football just seems bewildering to me -- run two minutes, pause and strategize for 10 minutes, then repeat again.... not enough flow for me.

I really think that this is a myth floating around... the pause for 10 minutes thing. In actuality it's about 30 seconds. Not a long time to think up your next play and make sure everyone is on the correct page. Not to mention with ten's of thousands of fans screaming as loud as they can. Scary looking defensive players, that can bench press a Volkswagen, staring you down.

And... There are finesse players on Football ass well as players that get by with brute strength. I'm sure the same can be said in Soccer. In order to repsect Football you will have to get to know the game better. It's not something you can just sit down and enjoy for the first time. You have to know... The intricacies of the game.

I know you Soccer fans say the same thing... But I can tell you all... I guarantee I know more about Soccer than you do about Football. *wink*

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Can someone else talk to pepsi about the ignorance of his post for me? I don't have time this morning to write anymore. Make you sure you mention options, half back passes, End around passes, pitching the ball, etc. You know what I'm talking about. Again, this goes to show we Americans now more about sports in general then Soccer fans. *wink*

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I suppose you're right, LostSailor. I mean I understand soccer, practically every guy in my country watches the English Premier League. I know the rules to soccer, I know what it's about.

But as for American football, I watch that when there's nothing else on TV. I dunno what's going on either. I suppose if I sat down and watched it with someone who know what the game is about and can give me a personalized commentary, probably I'd get it.

It's like when I first started watching Formula 1, I had no idea what it was about. It took a friend who was passionate about it to sit down and explain what's going on for a couple of races for me to start enjoying it.

I guess the same goes to you guys out there dissing soccer, sit down and watch it a couple of times with a real soccer fan, let them explain it away to you in their own words. You might learn to like it.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Can someone else talk to pepsi about the ignorance of his post for me? I don't have time this morning to write anymore. Make you sure you mention options, half back passes, End around passes, pitching the ball, etc. You know what I'm talking about. Again, this goes to show we Americans now more about sports in general then Soccer fans. *wink*

Dear lost saylor, I played american football I grew up in united states, so I played it in school.
I know the rules of the NFL and how the game is played.

There in not much in to it.
Run 10 yards and then go again after a while, you can fail couple of times reaching 10 yards , after that the ball go's to the other side.

What you dont understand is that the game it's self is simple.

You can score with a toch down or a goal kick.

What you dont get is that in american football there is no passing combinations. you compare one sport that uses 1 pass for 1 charge with a game that can have triangle pasing combinations, wing passing combinations with crossing with header or voley.
1 pass no diversification and then it's stop for 10 minutes.

Here is your american football.
For passing
No low pass, No simultanius passing, No efect to the ball like a curved ball, No passing with other body componets just the hands, NO passing while running.

the goal and touch down

It makes it much easear to pass a wide line than to score in a smaller goal,
scoring in a part of goal takes precision, you may say but we have a goal too, did you see how big that thing is honestly?
Why do you think in 90 minutes the scores finishes usualy 1-0 or 2-0 or 2-1
Because it requiers lot's of skill it's hard to get a goal harder than any toch down.

There are many aspects that far exeds NFL but I'll leave tehm for later
You argue that I dont have a clue about american football well think again.
I'm going to love taking the sports aspects 1 by one and show you that american football is limited.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Nice try, but the MLS rivals the Italian leagues for brutality.

The Italian league is notoriously sterile, boring, and above all NOT BRUTAL.
You really don't have a clue. [Seriously, just by saying this, you are showing all those who KNOW the scope of your ignorance] League 2 in England has a better standard of football than the MLS. The Italians are nothing but preening nancy-boys, as they have showed the world in '02: Knocked out of the World Cup by S.Korea, Totti sent off for diving... Vieri missing a sitter from THREE YARDS! They then confirmed our suspicions in '04: Didn't get further than the group stage, Totti sent off and banned for SPITTING. [Yes, spitting like a girl, what next? Pulling hair? Breaking fingernails?]

The technical play in Spain is far higher than Serie A, the Premiership is far more of a physical test, but then, you're American, and everything you have so far stated everywhere I have seen you post has been shown to be FALSE, I don't expect facts to figure in ANYTHING YOU SAY.

[edit on 22/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Pepsi... you crack me up man. Stop making me laugh so damn hard. I almost wet myself there. You my friend, haven't got a clue.

I know... You think you do... But you don't. It's Ok... I look forward to hearing from you again soon. I enjoy a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Pepsi... you crack me up man. Stop making me laugh so damn hard. I almost wet myself there. You my friend, haven't got a clue.

I know... You think you do... But you don't. It's Ok... I look forward to hearing from you again soon. I enjoy a good laugh.

AMERICAN football ----------------------------------------------ORIGINAL FOOTBALL

You call that tactical.

Tell me what football does not have and american football has of course besides bashing.

Let's talk tactical.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Dude, couldn't you have used a jpeg for that graph? Bitmaps are large and ungainly.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Dude, couldn't you have used a jpeg for that graph? Bitmaps are large and ungainly.

Lol sorry for the bitmap I made it in paint brush, I was rushing up to show them rong sorry for not saving in jpg I just rushed pressing the save button to what ever it is as default.

WE are even making american football fields ours now.
Here is the evidence.
mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/partner/081305_smgotw_kreis2_winner_384 .wmv
Spectacular goal on a american football field

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
pepsi

Our "ten minute breaks" come between plays not during the play!

And sure the guy who catches the ball can pass it, it just has to be passed backwards.

Do you mind if I send a copy of your play over to Gary Kubiak? I think we might have an offensive genius on our hands.

Also, your nancyball soccer players don't have monsters like Julius Peppers bearing down on them.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join