It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

You're right, a pint glass upside the head isn't nearly as bad!
Have you ever been nearly trampled to death?

I'll post some stuff about the urine bombs here in a bit. Seems that a lot of Latin fans like to lob blood and urine bombs. Well, I guess it's better to urinate on an opposing player than on you're own freakin' stadium!

Peace

did you ever hear about this

it was thrown at Luis figo in 2002 when he returned to his former club barcelona with there biiter rivals real madrid, how do you get a pigs head in to a stadium? hide it in a sandwich?

[edit on 20-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
You know what i think, I think your jelos on football because it's a skill sport.
And it's hard for you to admit it, it's like a forbiten plejure.
Why do you think a whole planet waches the game.
Dont worry football and I mean original football is takeing a new step in the usa and it will become popular, it will first be suported by the emigrants and then by the rest of you.
It's already growing just look at those stadiums from mls some times there full of people.
It's just a matter of time.

Dude, what part of "I currently play indoor soccer in a league" do you not understand? I was part of the most succesfull youth program in Pennsylvania. I like playing soccer. No doubt it requires skill.

Go over to chit-chat; I'm talking up a storm in the world cup thread about how I HOPE soccer is catching on here.

That said, Football is a superior sport compared to soccer. It requires a mutch greater range of physical talents, it involves more on the field thinking, it involves MUCH more team work, it involves much great pregame strategy and planning. There really is no debating any of that. I'd rather watch football - it's simply much more entertaining then soccer. I'd also rather play football - it's much more satisfying to win a football game then a soccer game.

There is simply nothing like what you put into football in soccer - the blood and sweat and dedication is all just inherently at a much greater level. It requires a far greater commitment to be great.

This is coming from a fan of both sports. I like to talk a little smack about soccer to get Euros all worked up, but in the end I played soccer far before I ever put on a set of shoulder pads. I still play soccer to this day. The thing is, having had the choice of which sport to concentrate on, it was CLEARLY going to be football. I could have played either on full scholarship in high school. I had the opertunity to win a college scholarship in both sports.

Football is just better in my opinion. I'm not saying that soccer is bad, but it is for a completely different kind of athlete. The mentallity is totally different.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
American Mad Man, I remember that Mcnabb game. I thought it was insane tht he got lucky enough to scramble long enough to get the pass off. But that's just it, Mcnabb got lucky that time. The first Dallas guy that tried to sack him, would've had him down if the Philly guy hadn't ripped him off. He would've been sacked, he just got lucky.

If you want to show someone who doesn't just get lucky, use Vick clips. He just evades everyone scrambles and still gets either a huge run or pass off.

As for that league I played in, it was back in Lancaster almost 10 years ago. I don't remember the name of it. I just remember 2 of my friends at the time I played with.

I'd like you to show some of these stats that say 16 regular season football games are more physical demanding than you said like 100 or 200 premiership games. Where's your proof? You can't make claims like that and not back it up.

I've been tackled by 250-300 pound kids for about 3 years now and I've never been injured playing football, though in the past three years I've broken my ankle and sprained it a couple dozen times by kids almost 50 pounds lighter than me. It's not about how hard you hit, it's about how you hit them.

For example, a 1000 pound guy could football tackle me head on as fast as he could, not land on me and I'm be fine. A 120 pound soccer player could slide tackle me at the ankle and snap it in half. You're not as likely to cause damage going head on, straight at a person, though if you go at an angle you're more likely to cause damage. Remember...even a teaspoon of water can kill you.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
American Mad Man, I remember that Mcnabb game. I thought it was insane tht he got lucky enough to scramble long enough to get the pass off. But that's just it, Mcnabb got lucky that time. The first Dallas guy that tried to sack him, would've had him down if the Philly guy hadn't ripped him off. He would've been sacked, he just got lucky.

How is that luck?!?!

McNabb uses a spin move and his muscle to break that tackle, then used his 4.4 second 40 yard dash speed to run away from the defenders.

If you want to show someone who doesn't just get lucky, use Vick clips. He just evades everyone scrambles and still gets either a huge run or pass off.

Mike Vick is the single most over rated player in the NFL. He isn't even close to a top 15 QB. People like him cause he breaks off a 50 yard run once in a while against poor defences. Watch him play against a good defense like in the 2005 NFCCG and he does zilch.

I'd like you to show some of these stats that say 16 regular season football games are more physical demanding than you said like 100 or 200 premiership games. Where's your proof? You can't make claims like that and not back it up.

Proof? Just look at the players! 60 year old football players have chronic arthrites and are lucky if they can walk with a cain.

I've been tackled by 250-300 pound kids for about 3 years now and I've never been injured playing football, though in the past three years I've broken my ankle and sprained it a couple dozen times by kids almost 50 pounds lighter than me. It's not about how hard you hit, it's about how you hit them.

For example, a 1000 pound guy could football tackle me head on as fast as he could, not land on me and I'm be fine. A 120 pound soccer player could slide tackle me at the ankle and snap it in half. You're not as likely to cause damage going head on, straight at a person, though if you go at an angle you're more likely to cause damage. Remember...even a teaspoon of water can kill you.

Well, I am assuming we are talking about skilled football players here. Most of the guys I played with, especially as a walk on at LSU knew how to hit.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well, as nobody answered my previous question, which was:

Originally posted by Peronemlin
First of all:

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

So, if there is only one kind of football, why it is called American football? It should be called just football, as ours is called, why it is needed to specify its origin?

I have another one.

Why the whole world prefers real Football than American Football? Can anyone answer this?
Try to answer without the words "because the whole world is gay, and we are men" and that kind of things.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I have another one.

Why the whole world prefers real Football than American Football? Can anyone answer this?
Try to answer without the words "because the whole world is gay, and we are men" and that kind of things.

1) Football has not been exported as much as soccer has.

2) Soccer is more then twice as old as football. Football, in it's current form, is only about 50 years old.

3) Football is very VERY complicated to learn. By far the most rules of any sport.

4) Football is very expensive to play. The Pele of football can'y exactly practice by kicking a coconut around the sand pit. Every player needs several hundred dollars of equipment.

5) Football requires the most coaching of any sport. The technique needed to play football at anything beyond low levels requires heavy amounts of refinements.

When you add all those things up, no poor country is ever going to play it, thus taking away two whole continents.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
1) Football has not been exported as much as soccer has.

2) Soccer is more then twice as old as football. Football, in it's current form, is only about 50 years old.

3) Football is very VERY complicated to learn. By far the most rules of any sport.

4) Football is very expensive to play. The Pele of football can'y exactly practice by kicking a coconut around the sand pit. Every player needs several hundred dollars of equipment.

5) Football requires the most coaching of any sport. The technique needed to play football at anything beyond low levels requires heavy amounts of refinements.

When you add all those things up, no poor country is ever going to play it, thus taking away two whole continents.

AMM,

No offense bud. Go back to like page 2 of this thread. We have said all this already. It goes on deaf ears. They don't understand the concept of why 3rd world countries play soccer as opposed to football. They don't understand that soccer's popularity is due to its affordability. I like the way you put it though.... Kickin' a coconut around the sand pit. HEHE!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
They don't understand the concept of why 3rd world countries play soccer as opposed to football. They don't understand that soccer's popularity is due to its affordability.

Yeah, they are really poor in Europe. That's why they play real football, they don't have the money to afford all the equipment.

Football it's the perfect game, it's a matter of class, something you really lack of.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Yeah, they are really poor in Europe. That's why they play real football, they don't have the money to afford all the equipment.

Did I say Europe? I didn't think so. You guys still like soccer in Europe because you are stuck in the past. Move on... there are more exiting sports out there than soccer my man. The USA is never wrong.

Football it's the perfect game, it's a matter of class, something you really lack of.

You are correct sir, football is the perfect game. Thanks for admitting it. Maybe I lack class, but at least I have a sense of humor my man.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

The USA is never wrong.

You most certainly do have a sense of humour man

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Nah we had subsidised NFL TV footage, NFL development officers & coaches, cheap AF kit etc etc to try and convince us AF was a decent sport.

It didn't work

We've got football for the skill, Rugby for the tackles and watching paint dry for the 'excitement'.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You know the problem might be the cost of the games too. A single ticket to a St. Louis Rams game ranges from $44-$85. Season tickets are about $440-$910

Ticket prices for a Celtic soccer game run ROUGHLY at this moment $45-$60 in American dollars. You have to register for season ticket prices, but you get the point. Celtic is an internationally recognized team. Ranked in the top 50 clubs in the world, usually around 15-30. (Depending on where you look)

It'd be much more affordable for an American family to take his family to see a soccer game, where it would be much more expensive for a European to come see our football.

Which might be a reason Europeans don't have more of an interest in our game. Afterall, if you like a team, you want to see them play in the stadium don't you?

Or it could simply be the rest of the world views Amer. Football, as a yawn. There is NO arguing that/

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Okay mad man, What I did is I showed you from mls, mls is not pro to say.
I'm going to prove to you that soccer has you call it is better than american
football.

I'm going to show to you thinking on the field and tactics that far exeds
american football.

I'm going to start first with the fans.

The fans
Football to us means the world.
Wach the crowd.
The joy of the crowd
s2.footballclips.net...

We dont go to the game to eat hot dogs, when the mach starts there is just us and the game
We dont wait 20 minutes every 2 or 3 minutes for the game to resume.
The public at least comes for the game and every moment is magic.
You will never see a american football suporter manifest like that with full joy,farly to say
mls is missing a component, the crowd reaction

s2.footballclips.net...

Art&precision.

It takes precision look at the ball and how it simply lands on his feet, do you even know what it takes
to be that good in precision with your feet?

s2.footballclips.net...

dribling is an art, if american football playiers had the skils that football (socer)playiers had
they would be scoring toch downs one after another.
s1.footballclips.net...

Skils mixed with tactics.
realmadrid.footballclips.net...

To be able to do this you must be an artist

To see why mls is not pro, thats why you think soccer as you call is weaker, because you can
never reach the performance of pro football(soccer)
Maradona is a legend yes but he is old stuff the game is not playied any more like it was playied than
The game has evolved and increased in all domains.
You say a football player cant afort a helmet and the rest of the equiptment that a american
football playier has? then I'm convinced you are totaly an alien from the game.
A good avrage pro football(soccer) player earns about 20 thoulsands dolars mothly.
And a very good one if he acn make it there he earns milions of dolars every year.
You have no idea of the game because you playied it in the USA, you have never been on a stadium
where real football takes place.
Football for us has becomed a culture.

Real madrid VS the whole mls all stars.
www.footballclips.net...

And now for tactics.
www.decatursports.com...
I dont think there is a game out there that has so many tactics like pro football(soccer)

You confuse your tipe of soccer with our type.
Of course it's not competitive, so you will never get the taste of it.
You remember it by maradona, the game has changed not by rules)but by the way it's played, more speed, more tactics, more skill, and more money, tons of money.
Has for a football (soccer)playier not aforting a american footbal helmet, is 10000$inoff? that's what he makes mothly and i'm talking about a avrege one.One can be makeing milions if he makes it to the top.

You think it's just trowing the ball in front?, think again.

[edit on 20-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is beginning to get more than a little repetitive. So let's, and agree to disagree. And tommorrow start the argument all over again.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Has no one else been mart enough to realize AMM says he plays soccer?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
lol Doc, but like I said, the south Americans do have the best players, in general, so couldn't really have a go back about that!!! Brazil, as a national team, are regarded as pretty much the best in the world, and as such all the rest of us are like

But we do have a great many home grown great players here in Europe.

Of course you have, I was just exagerating. I think crap was not the word, but if Europeans Clubs didn't take all of our stars there, our Clubs would be the best of the world. No doubt about that.

I know what you mean chap, I'd be pissed off if all our best players buggered off to another continent. The same can be said about Africa too, the amount of players over here in Europe is astounding. You cant blame the players though, they gotta go where the money is. Its an unfortunate sign of the modern game though. We do get new, home grown players coming through of course, but at times, certain teams in the EPL have played teams exclusively made up of foreign players. Which does tend to raise a few eyebrows! It doesn't seem right to me that a few select teams, with bags of cash, can vacuum up the best talent on offer, not just in their home country, but from around the globe too. I don't know what the answer is though, certainly not without a major overhaul of how the games systems work.

And who buggered up the formatting on the thread? If theres one thing I can't stand on forums, its having to f
g scroll sideways! gods it pisses me off!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Has no one else been mart enough to realize AMM says he plays soccer?

Yeah, I've never played Soccer either. *wink*

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My dad caught me playing soccer when I was little and told me that he didn't mind me playing it as long as I wore a dress.
That pretty much ended my soccer career.

Peace

edit: What ridcully said. The formatting in this thread has gone bonkers, why?

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

My dad caught me playing soccer when I was little and told me that he didn't mind me playing it as long as I wore a dress.
That pretty much ended my soccer career.

There is also a reason I started playing hockey not soon after. I think it was because I kept getting red carded out of the game. That started my long hockey career as the "enforcer."

Coach... "Hey (my last name)." "Number 42 is getting a bit dirty."
Me... "Right on coach."

next shift I go out and beat the piss outta number 42... I loved it. *wink*

Mind you this was still at the pee-wee level. I don't think it's quite the same anymore. they are feminizing hockey now these days too. It sucks.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Okay how is that for a change.
Arm the american football players with m16 asault rifels and give the quorter back a grenade launcher

And you can have a sport the way you want it.
Sport is another definition, if you want something else go to iraq.
How about we invent a sport 5 on 5 we give them hamers and the team that brakes 2 arms and 3 heads wins, of course with brakes of 10 minututes betwen head smashing just like you like it.

Class is something that you may never understand, than again i dont blame you you got bad taste in food too.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join