It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
...like when a team runs the ball 5 times in a row and then goes to play action (a fake run followed by a pause to 'sell' the run to the defense and ended with a lng pass).

No need in trying to explain to soccer fans. The word "play" and "action", are polar opposites to them.

OMG, if soccer player ever suffered such a gruesome injury they'd probably have to have Life Flight land on the field to remove him because they're not used to anything other than the occasional jammed finger or turf burn.

Peace

[edit on 20-2-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
lol Doc, but like I said, the south Americans do have the best players, in general, so couldn't really have a go back about that!!! Brazil, as a national team, are regarded as pretty much the best in the world, and as such all the rest of us are like

But we do have a great many home grown great players here in Europe.

Of course you have, I was just exagerating. I think crap was not the word, but if Europeans Clubs didn't take all of our stars there, our Clubs would be the best of the world. No doubt about that.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
you raise some good points, but what really caught my attention is that you said players were lucky to play all 16 games a season.
perhaps thats why you think running up and down a pitch for 90 minutes is easy, cos if it was for 16 games a season, anyone could do it. a football player at a top club will play about 50 games a season.
as for the injections, we have those too but only use them in circumstances where it's really important to keep the player in the game (cos they can dramatically increase the length of the recovery). also those injuries were pretty bad and if i had the time, i'd find incidents of other football related injuries - the one i used was from a game yesterday so it's fresh in my mind. if you look for henrik larsson breaking his leg, you'll see that it's the conditions of the pitch, the ways you run and how hard you push yourself that cause the real injuries.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

To give you an idea of football types of injuries, I'll show you a few picks:

YEAH!! Let's break our legs cause we are men!!! YEAHH!!!

I still don't understand why you think American football is better because of all those bad injuries. What a silly argument that is...

[edit on 20-2-2006 by Peronemlin]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

OMG, if soccer player ever suffered such a gruesome injury they'd probably have to have Life Flight land on the field to remove him because they're not used to anything other than the occasional jammed finger or turf burn.

From saturday Liverpool vs manchester utd

Alan smith broke his leg and dislocated his ankle hell be out for 9 months but he'll play again thank god. as did henrik laarson after this

but tragicly this ended david Bussts career

[edit on 20-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Two things I noticed about those pictures. First, I wonder if the guy from 'Bama held on to the ball. Probably did 'cause American footballers are MEN.

Second, take a look at the guy from Nebraska kind of standing over the Pitt player. Dude looks like he's about to hurl!

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
From saturday Liverpool vs manchester utd...

Like I said, what strikes me is that this seems uncommon for soccer players. They stated it reminded them of an injury from a few years ago.

As terrible as these injuries look, these types of things happen regularly in American football. I would go so far as to say an injury like this occurs to about one player a year on every team. I know that I had my own knee bent about 90 degrees the wrong direction playing. Another guy on my team had basically the same thing happen 2 games later.

I'm not saying that soccer players never get injured, but the game simply isn't on the same level as far as how physical it is. Understand that every single play in a football game (about 60 times a game playing only offense or only defense) you are getting hit. Talk to some rugby players who have ever played football - they will ALL tell you football is far and away the rougher sport (at least if they are honest).

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Two things I noticed about those pictures. First, I wonder if the guy from 'Bama held on to the ball. Probably did 'cause American footballers are MEN.

Yup, he did - I saw the game live.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I still don't understand why you think American football is better because of all those bad injuries. What a silly argument that is...

Not better because of the injuries. Tougher, more physically demanding, taxing, and draining on the body, thus requiring more endurance.

Frankly, I think the game is better because it requires infinitely greater amounts of team work and the athletes are undeniably better.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nolifedopestar
perhaps thats why you think running up and down a pitch for 90 minutes is easy, cos if it was for 16 games a season, anyone could do it. a football player at a top club will play about 50 games a season.

Playing 200 soccer games would be more easy on the body then 10 football games. There is THAT much of a difference.

as for the injections, we have those too but only use them in circumstances where it's really important to keep the player in the game (cos they can dramatically increase the length of the recovery).

What recovery time? In football there really isn't a recovery time. Guys play with hernia's, partially torn tendons. broken bones etc through the season. Once they are done the season, then they get to heal up. The players wouldn't have it any other way.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I like American Football , i just dont like people slandering our football, I would have to say that Your average NFL star is hugely more intelligant than his counterparts in England just listen to Wayne Rooney or David Beckham speak, to know all of the plays off by heart etc.

I just see The NFL as a little too comercial you can't imagine the passion and importance that certainly lower league teams in England have with in the community ,

Have you seen Waynos's sig? his team Rotherham utd are in dire financial straights my team mansfield town Knocked his out of the Fa cup it was like a script there former star striker now our star striker and captain returns to a heroes welcome at his old club scores a hat trick including the last minute winner in 4-3 defeat for rotheram, we went on to get an easy and lucartive home draw live on national tv against a lower league team easily beat them and then a trip to play the mighty newcastle utd in which we lost,

but from the two games made in the region of £500,000 yes small potatoes to a NFL team but to a small local team like mine or especially Waynos's could literaly save them from extinction , this is why there is so much drama and passion in our football.

"football isn't life or death ,its more important than that" Bill shankly

ps what is all this bs about urine bags being thrown around ?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
To show you all what a goal means.
Goal of the year in usa.
It's from u.s major soccer league I have to admit a beautiful goal.
Compare that to a toch down, which one looks more tasty?
chicago.fire.mlsnet.com...

You even got a place to talk about it good
www.talksoccer.net...
resistance si futile.
We will turn the american football stadiums in to real football stadiums

here are a few more links for ya

High lights.

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/gp/archive11/111305_mls_cup_gp_384.wmv< br />
mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/gp/archive08/082705_lagsje_gp_384.wmv
mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/gp/archive04/041605_rslcor_gp1_384.wmv< br />

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/gp/archive04/041605_rslcor_gp1_384.wmv< br />

all star game
mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/events/allstar/2005_mlsas_gp_384.wmv

It's just a matter of time before it bursts out.
It's already becoming popular there has time passes

It's a fenomen.

It's time to swich to the real football.

[edit on 20-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I like American Football , i just dont like people slandering our football, I would have to say that Your average NFL star is hugely more intelligant than his counterparts in England just listen to Wayne Rooney or David Beckham speak, to know all of the plays off by heart etc.

Like I said, truth be told I watch a lot of European football - well, at least for an American. I play soccer my self, though in an indoor league (you know, we Americans need high scoring games and boards to slam our opponents into
)

I just see The NFL as a little too comercial you can't imagine the passion and importance that certainly lower league teams in England have with in the community

Well, the NFL is the equal of your premier league, except much more balanced. We have a salary cap so rich owners can't jsut outspend the smaller clubs. We also have revenue sharing, so that all of the NFL TV contracts and clothing sales are devided evenly among our teams. In addition, we also have a rookie 'draft' where in the worst teams get the first pick of the top prospects.

So instead of having a Chelsea and Man U get all the good players every year and always fight it out for the league title, all of our teams have a good chance to win.

Another thing is this...

Our 'minor leagues' are not pro - they are college. Our universities serve as our ranks to ork up from... Our equals don't play for money, they play for their school.

I don't think you quite understand just how important college football is. Frankly, it is probably just as - if not more - popular then the NFL.

Most of the bigger schools get 100,000 people in attendence for every game...

This is a pic of Notre Dame Stadium. Notre Dame is probably the most famous college football team, known as the Fighting Irish. Understand that this is a school of under 8,500 students. The capacity for Notre Dame Stadium is over 80,000. They have sold out every game since 1962.

ps what is all this bs about urine bags being thrown around ?

It's what you Euro's do when your side loses a soccer match...

[edit on 20-2-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
american mad man what am i watching now on tv its AFL Tampa bay at orlando on our american sports channel nasn its fun it looks like a smaller field what is arena football?

it shows collage football too i have dipped in to it a few times its impressive.

ps i think it was someone else going on about urine bags sorry

*ive never had a bag of urine thrown at me, ive had a pint glass thrown at me foot trod on by a police horse and been bombarded with coins but i think the urine thing is definately one that is from our continental cousins it would't be tolerated here btw i am not a hooligan you make a good point though the violence and intmidation that you sometimes experiance even as a true fan can be in timidating at times but is no where near as bad as the old days

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
www.mlsnet.com...

here is the link with mls with all the high light clips.
Mad man just wach them and then judje for your self if it's a woosy game.
You can not give a argument if you dont wach them.
And let's see which one is more spectacular.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

*ive never had a bag of urine thrown at me, ive had a pint glass thrown at me foot trod on by a police horse and been bombarded with coins...

You're right, a pint glass upside the head isn't nearly as bad!
Have you ever been nearly trampled to death?

I'll post some stuff about the urine bombs here in a bit. Seems that a lot of Latin fans like to lob blood and urine bombs. Well, I guess it's better to urinate on an opposing player than on you're own freakin' stadium!

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
www.mlsnet.com...

Dude, I have about 50 clips of the greatest soccer highlights of all time. From Pele to Maradana to Ronaldinho. I've known about Rooney and Robinho for years. Believe me, I have seen it all.

Nothing Pele has ever done even comes close to that 14 second play I posted above.

He sprints around for 14 seconds being chased by 260 pound freaks of athletic nature, but being a 6'2" 240 ound freak of nature himself, McNabb eludes the tacklers then throws a PERFECT 60 yard pass on the run off his back foot.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
www.mlsnet.com...

Dude, I have about 50 clips of the greatest soccer highlights of all time. From Pele to Maradana to Ronaldinho. I've known about Rooney and Robinho for years. Believe me, I have seen it all.

Nothing Pele has ever done even comes close to that 14 second play I posted above.

He sprints around for 14 seconds being chased by 260 pound freaks of athletic nature, but being a 6'2" 240 ound freak of nature himself, McNabb eludes the tacklers then throws a PERFECT 60 yard pass on the run off his back foot.

You know what i think, I think your jelos on football because it's a skill sport.
And it's hard for you to admit it, it's like a forbiten plejure.
Why do you think a whole planet waches the game.
Dont worry football and I mean original football is takeing a new step in the usa and it will become popular, it will first be suported by the emigrants and then by the rest of you.
It's already growing just look at those stadiums from mls some times there full of people.
It's just a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nolifedopestar
by 2010 maybe you americans will like real football? watch the champions league final this year in may

I would, but, I'm scheduled to get my colon cleaned those days.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join