It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-mail notification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Is it possible to get e-mail notifacation whenever someone replies to one of your (my) posts?How?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Nope.

With thousands of posts per day can you imaging the e-mail traffic and bandwidth ATS would have to handle?

Not to mention the coding that it would take to make it work.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
but if you go to the MYATS page (in the middle of the boxes at the top of the page) and click on that -- on the right side is your subscribed threads -- any thread you make or reply to will show up there so you can see if anyone has written after you.

Hope this helps a bit.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This did not work for me.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo
This did not work for me.

Maybe I didn't describe it well -- did you click on the middle box (it is the 7th one in from the left (first one is Settings on the left) and the 7th one in from the right (last box on right is Log Out box) and looks like a file cabinet) that says MYATS? That should bring you to another page where you can pick your favorite forums that will always come up when you go to that page -- and then on the right hand side will be a box called your subscribed threads. You should see the thread titled E-Mail notification in there since you wrote in it before me -- with my name as the one showing up as the last response (unless someone writes after me then it would be their name)

You don't get an e-mail notification but you can keep track of threads you are active in with it.

I really suck at directions so I hope this works

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This used to be a function. The Admins held a member vote, and it was removed due to bandwidth issues. Sorry.

-J

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
This used to be a function. The Admins held a member vote, and it was removed due to bandwidth issues. Sorry.

-J

I'm confused.

I am a pretty new member and I still see the MyATS button and I still have my subscribed threads there, it includes all threads I have posted too.

I also have the function to either subscribe to add thread to either my favorites or subscribed threads.
I can access "subscribed" threads on MyATS page.
I can access"favorite" threads but going to "Settings". And, oh yeah, I can get to "subscribed" threads on my "settings" page too.

So, TSK, where are you getting this info? Inquiring minds want to know

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikita

-J

I'm confused.

I am a pretty new member and I still see the MyATS button and I still have my subscribed threads there, it includes all threads I have posted too.

I also have the function to either subscribe to add thread to either my favorites or subscribed threads.
I can access "subscribed" threads on MyATS page.
I can access"favorite" threads but going to "Settings". And, oh yeah, I can get to "subscribed" threads on my "settings" page too.

So, TSK, where are you getting this info? Inquiring minds want to know

I think TheShadowKnows were referring to the email notification issue and the bandwidth impact it would have, and not to the MYATS button which has no effect on bandwidth.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Nope.

With thousands of posts per day can you imaging the e-mail traffic and bandwidth ATS would have to handle?

Not to mention the coding that it would take to make it work.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

It wouldn't require any coding, email notification, as with every forum application, is a standard feature that can be enabled/disabled when the admin wants it to.

Its the bandwidth and massive amount of emails that probably lead to having this permanently disabled.

Not to mention that when there is a rather active member and he/she has alot of posts and gets alot of reply's, there is a good chance that his/her MSP blacklists ATS's mailservers(subsequently automaticly spreading the blacklisting on the numerous automatic blacklists in use online, which are checked by numerous other mailservers to check if they should alow/disalow email from a specific server).

Because of the huge problem spam is, the used automatic mechanismes to define if a server is spamming or relaying are rather strict and have a hair trigger, a trigger that could be tripped rather easely if say 100 emails with a very limited difference in content were to be sent to the same email account.

This also has the result that, if for instance, AOL, MSN, Hotmail, Google or any other large email provider would blacklist the ATS mailservers, all members with these ISP's would instantly be unable to recieve any type of email from the ATS servers.

ATS is already using croned batches to send out the newsletter to prevent any spam problems or bandwidth saps.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikita

-J

I'm confused.

I was refering to a option we used to have on ats, not MyATS. When you reply or make a new thread, there are check boxes above the submit button, one of them we used do have said "Email Me On Replies". Thats what I was talking about.

-J

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As said, use the myATS function. It is incredibly useful, and far better than email notification. Emails require an extraordinary amount of bandwidth to send.

It takes us abotu 24 horus to send the newsletters. With over 1000 posts a day on ATS, imagine sending an email for each of those to everyone subscribed. It just isn't conceivable.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks for answering my questions.
I've haven't been around much lately *embarassed smile* amd appreciate your answers.
My other experiences with forums...well, they were much smaller with far fewer posts daily. ATS seems huge I can imagine it would be a terrible burden to manage those email notifications

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
How hard would it be to create an RSS feed of subscribed threads? The XML file could be generated at request, no spam issues, and probably less bandwidth than refreshing the MyATS page every couple of minutes. Just a thought...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Been brought up before, it's hard. Especially when each one will be accessed dozens of times, and each one is different, and they're all different at different times...

top topics

join