It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
The odds seem very high that we will be looking at the 2nd major hurricane this year to hit a large city center.

Thanks for the detailed analogy. It does look like the models are shifting more towards the Galveston region. Provocative and interesting website site you have set up there 'Beaker-Indy', will bookmark it for further osmosis.

A giant wave engulfs a traffic light at Havana's seawall as Hurricane Rita passes near Cuba, September 20, 2005.

Waves crash against Havana's seafront boulevard El Malecon as Hurricane Rita passes near Cuba, September 20, 2005.

A car drives through a flooded street in Havana as Hurricane Rita passes near Cuba, September 20, 2005.

Strongest Hurricanes to Make Texas Landfall:

•Hurricane Carla (03-16 SEP 1961) Max Winds:150 Category:5
•Indianola Hurricane (12-21 AUG 1886) Max Winds:135 Category:4
•Hurricane One (27 AUG-15 SEP 1900) Max Winds:125 Category:4
•Freeport Hurricane(12-15 AUG 1932) Max Winds:125 Category:4
•Hurricane Two (02-15 SEP 1919) Max Winds:120 Category:4
More historical hurricane data here

Here's some classic hurricane hype, considering Rita just turned into cat 3 storm.
They're going to be saying everyone will die at this rate.

Hurricane Rita develops into Category 4 storm
www.alertnet.org...

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
For those that like word games.

Katrina Did

Rita kan

Be careful out there!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
With models focusing on Galveston, while many people are aware it took a severe hit from a hurricane in 1900, it also took a severe one in the 1830s which wiped out the base of pirate Jean LaFitte. He had moved to Galveston Island from Barataria just north of New orleans because the U.S. didn't approve of his pirate fleet's actions and his large commune (he was one of the nineteenth century early communists.) His fleet and commune at Galveston were blown away and washed away completely in the 1830s by a hurricane.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Just declared to be a cat 4 hurricane now. I still haven't decided whether to stay or go.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Dark Elf, I would leave. Seeing what happened in Miss, LA and Alabama, I would not want to go through that.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Darkelf -go! better safe than sorry..
I wish everybody good luck there!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Darkelf, it is your own decision, but please... Think about it carefully.
A cat. 4 hurricane is not a joke, not a normal hurricane...

Think about why you are having doubts on staying or going. And try to solve your doubts.

I am sure you will make the right decision.

Take care and please, keep us informed (if possible).
Ptolomeo

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm waiting for the 11:00am advisory to see if it's going to start shifting north. If it does, then I may stay a little longer and monitor its progress. I live very close to the bay, so I am concerned. Besides, I hate to travel with a cat who has diarrhea.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Darkelf, don´t expect to ride it out and see what happens... It´s not worth trying.
Remember Mizar? He was very, very lucky...

It´s a high risk.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yep, Cat 4 as of 8am.... Stay or go? Well, Cat 3 or less I ride out, 4 or 5 I get out... Just my personal rule....and my house is right across the street from a shelter, so I'm in a pretty safe spot...

At least you have a little time to see what she's going to do...but make sure you're preparing, gassing up, etc. and it probably wouldn't hurt to call some relatives or check hotels.....

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm fine you guys, thanks for all your concern. We had more wind and a bit more rain last night as one of those nasty feeder bands came thru. I watched it all from my window, but never saw any circulation in the clouds and I didn't hear of any tornados touching down.

Hurricane Rita, I feel and hope will hit land as a strong Cat 3, maybe Cat 4, It will definitely reach cat 5 status in the next two days, but I don't think it can retain that status while it goes thru eye replacement cycle. BUT the Category of Rita shouldn't matter at all to those in the path, whether it's 3 or a 5, it's is massive!!!!! and will cause flooding and damage.

Get Prepared Texas, you have the time, use it well. I think closing the schools in Galveston till Monday was an excellent move by the city

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
WOW! She is gaining strength fast. I beleve Galveston will begin mandatory evac at 6 pm tonight. I'm in TX, but much further inland (near Austin),. We may be getting Tropical Storm force here. Who knows, maybe even hurricane atthe rate she is going.

We already have Katrina's evacuees here, I guess we'll be getting Rita's too.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Latest until 11 am report. Hurricane Hunters had technical problems with equipment onboard this morning and have it fixed . They are in the storm now checking Rita. We should have new report soon.

From Accu Weather 8 am

As of 8 a.m. EDT Wednesday, Rita is packing sustained winds of 135 mph with gusts to 160 mph; this is the 2005 season's fifth major hurricane. Rita is centered near 24.4 north and 85.3 west, or 195 miles west of Key West, Florida. The minimum central pressure has fallen to 948 millibars (28.00 inches of mercury), and movement was to the west at 14 mph. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles from the center of circulation.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Weather.com as of 9:36am on 9/21/05 (Wednesday) says:

Rita is forecast to continue on a westward track into the Gulf of Mexico and may grow even stronger. It has already reached Category 4 status. Later in the week, Rita is expected to shift to a more northwesterly course. Residents along the Texas Gulf Coast should be prepared for a significant hurricane on Friday night or Saturday.

Heard on the Radio this morning that it's going to hit Galviston, but ya'll already know that.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
I still haven't decided whether to stay or go.

WHY haven't you decided? GO you silly little elf!
Get thee to high ground inland... fast.
Why are you even questioning this? Your kitty with
the poops will thank you for saving it's life!
BOTH of you GO GO GO!

[edit on 9/21/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirlin11
Heard on the Radio this morning that it's going to hit
Galviston, but ya'll already know that.

I think it's too early to tell. If I was in New Orleans,
I'd be getting out. (well, I would have gotten out
with Katrina, but you know what I mean).

This monster could still turn to New Orleans. They
thought Katrina was going to hit the Florida panhandle
and it ended up in Louisiana. Weathermen are
notoriously wrong.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is true. Rita could suddenly make enough of a right hand turn to land in New Orleans lap for another "dance". Anyone who is still there needs to get out of there now.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I've started another thread, just to track the welfare of our Texas members, if you live anywhere in the cone of error for Rita, please post here:

Texas Members; Hurricane Rita...Your Preparations

Please continue to use this thread to report Hurricane Rita developments. and btw..great job everyone

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Darkelf--I think I would also vote for the run like heck option at this point! Too close for comfort. I know we have had 9' to 14' of rain off these things, although very rare, and I am basically in Dallas!!...Jeez, this one has me more concerned than I probably should be about what we will get

Grab kitty and run!!

Oh, yeah, has anyone else in S.Central Tex. heard anything on the status of I-45? My girlfriend needs to go to Conroe in tne morning.......I'm thinking that may not be such a good idea!

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I've started another thread, just to track the welfare of our Texas members, if you live anywhere in the cone of error for Rita, please post here:

Texas Members; Hurricane Rita...Your Preparations

Please continue to use this thread to report Hurricane Rita developments. and btw..great job everyone

i tried to post in your thread...since its in BTS i need to log in but i cant because when i go log in it takes me to ATS. im confused about why i cant keep the same account thru the same site. anyone have any advice how to take care of this please feel free to share.

anyways... just wanted to respond to this because i live on the Texas Coast... i live about 25 miles south of Corups Christi in a town called Kingsville. I live about 5 miles near one of Two bases training fighter pilots in the U.S (to my understanding).... the Naval Air Station-Kingsville (NAS-K).

They are just now starting to move all the jets to Dallas and securing the base.

Heres my question to you all regarding me leaving with my family and cat...

we are going to leave... but we are still unsure where to...

if it hits a little lower then Galvastan or Galvastan... we will head to the Valley... lower tip of texas... we have family there.... McAllen area.

this an okay move?

if it hits Corpus.... we still might head there but we also have an option in San Antonio... though it would be a hotel... not a families house... and you know we have a cat and cats are not allowed in hotels.

so my question is.... what do you think? lower texas okay to ride this out?

what can Corpus expect in terms of winds, rain, flood, damage if it hits Galvastan or a little lower? What can we expect in lower texas either way?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join