It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
irishmen3g You might find help here Texas Traffic Information

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, Harry. I just got off the phone with Tx dept. of Trans. in Houston...all they know is that that situation is being monitored.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
category one just means no sun,
category two, no power soon,
category three, worrying me,
category four, head for the door,
category five, just stay alive...

Just my basic hurricane philosophy...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
So who wants to take a guess as to when she will hit Cat 5?

I grew up in FL so I always pay attention to hurricanes, just out of habit. But this one is headed in my direction.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It may already be a cat 5, they had some problems with the hurricane hunter planes...but remote sensing indicates possible 160 MPH winds (according to FOX)

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Rita as of 11am EST:

It doesn't appear as yet to be making a right turn toward New Orleans, but of course that could change any time. Projected path still is Texas coast.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Mirlin11]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
11 am Discussion from Acuu Weather

As of 11 a.m. EDT Wednesday, Rita is packing sustained winds of 140 mph with gusts to 165 mph; this is the 2005 seasons fifth major hurricane. Rita is centered near 24.3 north and 85.9 west, or 260 miles west of Key West, Florida. The minimum central pressure has fallen to 944 millibars (27.88 inches of mercury), and movement was to the west at 14 mph. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles from the center of circulation

You are right about 160 mph and cat 5 according to several forecasters. The reports we are getting are estimates only from Hurricane Center since they are having equipment problems. According to them they will not have accurate reports till 4 pm.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The pressure right now doesn't support cat 5. You'll need to shave off about 20mb. I think it will need to be under 930 to be classified a cat 5. At least under based on reality not based on the NHC post Andrew.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
The pressure right now doesn't support cat 5. You'll need to shave off about 20mb. I think it will need to be under 930 to be classified a cat 5. At least under based on reality not based on the NHC post Andrew.

Yeah but they don't know what the true pressure is since they can't get their plane in there, the latest advisory says estimated.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I don't know if this was already brought up or not but...

Would there be any health concerns regarding the rain?
I don't know all the details on Hurricanes and how they continue and grow, but wouldn't Rita pick up potentionally contaminated water from the Gulf ( NO toxic sludge ) and dump some of it back on to land.
The thought just occured to me so I wanted to see if this was feasible or not.
The water may not be as contaminated as reported or the may be diluted enough not to be a concern, again I know very little regarding this.

Just curious as to any feedback on this being another threat to worry about.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
my post got lost in the shuffle i imagine.

"what can Corpus expect in terms of winds, rain, flood, damage if it hits Galvastan or a little lower? What can we expect in lowest area texas (mcallen)?"

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well rain is fairly pure water, it leaves all waterborne contamination behind when it evaporates.

The storm surge would push seawater onto the land, but I doubt the N.O. contamination would be in it, it's probably all still in Lake Pontchatrain, and would be too diluted anyway if it did get into the gulf.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
so do you all think it will stay a 4?

do you think this even if it still has a lot of room to build... and a lot of warm water? i dont know much about hurricanes... i just know they they strengthen with warm water and that one needs to get out of the way.

so will this thing.. built on projection... increase to 175mph winds or higher by landfall?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
"what can Corpus expect in terms of winds, rain, flood, damage if it hits Galvastan or a little lower? What can we expect in lowest area texas (mcallen)?"

I think the NWS will issue warnings for the Gulf coast at its next advisory...if it does hit north of you, you'll probably still experience heavy rain and hurricane force winds but probably won't have to deal with a storm surge. But these things are unpredictable...I think I heard on the news they're about to issue a mandatory evacuation order for Corpus Christi.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
krossfyter, with a storm like Rita I would take no chances at all. If my family and I were anywhere near the coast or stike path we would seek safer ground. Now while there is time is the time to go. Wait to late you will be caught in traffic and chances of no gas.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
krossfyter, with a storm like Rita I would take no chances at all. If my family and I were anywhere near the coast or stike path we would seek safer ground. Now while there is time is the time to go. Wait to late you will be caught in traffic and chances of no gas.

yeah i know... our best bet is lower texas since we have family there... but right now... this thing could change course and may hit lower texas... although thats not whats predicted... but you never know with hurricanes.

i know most indications land it way north of corpus and just a little south of galvaston.

ive been thru a couple of 3s a .. a couple of 2s and lots of 1s... but never a 4 or 5 and im not about to either.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by krossfyter]

link   
Two perfect storms in the same year, WOW.

link   

Originally posted by Harry55

Totally agreed, I think anyone who lives anywhere near the Texas coast should be preparing for evacuation right now...don't risk it.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i just heard a forcaster say that they are saying this thing could weaken into a 3 before it hits landfall.

any ideas on this from those out there that are pretty versed in huricanes? apprently... the water is colder as it nears the middle gulf. whats history say about hurricanes with a lot of water and time to build that are in this position in the gulf?

do they weaken or stregthen?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
SpittinCobra, we are witnessing something this year that I am sure we will be telling our grand kids about in the future. Just sitting here and having memories of all the disaster Katrina has caused . I can not imagine the disaster caused by Rita we will be talking about this time next week.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Harry55]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join