It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Rita ( Bad News For Gulf )

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I didnt think i would be saying this again ever, but this may be the strongest storm to ever hit the US.

Right now it looks like a strong 4, maybe a 5 based on the satellite. If you are in the cone of uncertainty you better be getting ready and have a plan on where to go if your dwelling can not withstand at least 150mph winds. No one with any common sense should ride this one out near the coast.

The thing that really bothers me is it has warmer water temps ahead of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I didnt think i would be saying this again ever, but this may be the strongest storm to ever hit the US.

Right now it looks like a strong 4, maybe a 5 based on the satellite. If you are in the cone of uncertainty you better be getting ready and have a plan on where to go if your dwelling can not withstand at least 150mph winds. No one with any common sense should ride this one out near the coast.

The thing that really bothers me is it has warmer water temps ahead of it.

actuall im hearing that the close to the coast... the cooler it is... and that they are saying it may weaken. i dont know... i hope it weakens. 4 or 5s are no fun.

3s and beer ... have no fear.

ive been thru 3s on alcohol.... always fun. but 4s or 5s... screw that.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I dont see any cooler water near the coast on this graphic. Besides if Rita is going at a good clip as she is(15mph) even if there is cooler water about 10 miles or so near the coast it wont have time weaken. What Texans need to pray for is a front to sweep down that will cause some wind shear on Rita before it makes landfall.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

I don't think Rita will compare with Camille. Rita's probably being a little overblown. Creating fear is good for business. My bet is this won't come on shore any stronger than a 3. Still nothing to laugh at.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Here is the Texas Coast Water Temps from yesterday. I see nothing there to make it slow down. If you notice some of the bouys are still not repaired from Katrina.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So far, this is still the projected path of Rita:

And this is it's current location as of 12:15pm EST today:

Oil companies have stepped up their evacuation of rigs in the region. Galveston, another Texas city, is being evacuated.

Several thousand Louisiana residents - who found shelter in Texas after their homes were wrecked by Hurricane Katrina - are being uprooted again and moved to Arkansas and Tennessee.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
When this thing hits (likely Texas), it's more likely going to be cat 4 or 5. I'd wager it'll be a 5 by 2pm...

yeah i know... our best bet is lower texas since we have family there... but right now... this thing could change course and may hit lower texas...

Don't try and guess....get inland. Get as far inland as you can. Better to deal with TS force winds or Cat 1/2 than Cat 5 ones.....

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
so there could be a possible front come in and change its course and or weaken it?

not sure what the deal is with forecasters saying it may weaken before it hits mainland... if indeed those are the water temps.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
When this thing hits (likely Texas), it's more likely going to be cat 4 or 5. I'd wager it'll be a 5 by 2pm...

Don't try and guess....get inland. Get as far inland as you can. Better to deal with TS force winds or Cat 1/2 than Cat 5 ones.....

i hear yah. mcallen (near brownsville) is about as far from the storm as our family can conviently get.

im not going to ride this storm in corpus... thats not going to happen.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by krossfyter]

[edit on 21-9-2005 by krossfyter]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I like the way this map looks. It shows it hitting around Port Lavaca, equidistant from Galveston and Corpus Christi. The less populated the better.

Anyone think that papa Bush is getting with his buddies over at HAARP and having this thing re-routed.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The eye is contracting on satellite imagery, which likely means that within the next 24 hours, an eye wall replacement cycle will begin.

Rita is forecast to make landfall as a category 4 hurricane still, and I wouldn't rule out a category 5 either.

Rita track on SST image of the Gulf of Mexico
(click the pic)

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just heard on the weather channel pressure has dropped to 934 mb. I am looking to verify information. Anyone else know where this puts storm cat 4 or 5 .

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think it has to go 920mb to hit Cat 5. Looking as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
Just heard on the weather channel pressure has dropped to 934 mb. I am looking to verify information. Anyone else know where this puts storm cat 4 or 5 .

According to the info I have 5s are below 920 mb, so that's still a 4...but I wonder where they got this? Apparently a hurricane hunter plane wasn't supposed to be able to measure it again until at least 4pm.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55

Cat 4, usually a cat 5 has pressure below 920 millabars.

edit: oops echo

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
They just said that Hurricane Hunter is in there now. Must have repaired the equipment. I bet the 2 pm report will up the winds and lower the pressure more. The satelite imagery looks very intense.

Thanks for the info below 920 mb cat 5.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ mi_m1590/is_3_59/ai_95845391
Barometric pressure chart here.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by irishmen3g]

[edit on 21-9-2005 by irishmen3g]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
For those ats folks predicting cat 5 its now reported by Weather Channel 923 mb and falling. Only 4 mb away. Does anyone know how long in the Gulf past storms like Rita can maintain this without eyewall breaking down ? Just curious how likely Rita will be able to maintain this strength all the way to landfall.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Pressure is dropping fast, looks like Rita will be cat 5 at the 4 PM CDT advisory

URNT12 KNHC 211728
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
H. 923 mb
P. AF306 WXWXA 05092114306 OB 02
MAX FL WIND 142 KT NE QUAD 16:58:40 Z

Katrina's lowest pressure was 902mb.

THE DEADLIEST, COSTLIEST, AND MOST INTENSE
UNITED STATES TROPICAL CYCLONES FROM 1851 TO 2004
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

[edit on 21-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link