It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could they build the biggest bunker ever...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Two days ago I saw on TV the well-known movie Deep impact In the movie a large comet was supposed to crash to earth, all life on this planet would die. So what do they do, the decide to build a very large bunker complex that could carry up to 200 000 scientists and 800 000 "ordinary peoples" They would also bring a lot of animals, food and military. So in one sence a whole new community would be built. Could it be possible to build a bunker complex like this...?

This community would come out two years after the crash, and start to build up America again. The persons who could come to the bunker would be chosen randomly, no persons over 50 (exept for some scientists) could join the lottery.

Deep impact movie

[edit on 15-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No can do. How would you feel if they only built one bunker for some that lucky arse down the street? Hell if they did that to me I'd pick up a gun, gather a bunch of other people and overtake that bunker.

Unless they build enough shelters for everybody, theres no way the general public would just sit on it's rear and wait for death.

[edit on 8/15/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Yes! thank you... These are the kind of comments taht I want...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Well many of the countries around the world have extensive "bunker" systems to peotect their citizens.
For Example the are bunkers for over a 200 000 people in the center of Helsinki (Forum, Kamppi...
) and many more around the country...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
What, I didn't know that and I walk there nearly every day... I just knew that there was one in "itäkeskus"...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
haven't you ever wondered why the huge undeground carparks under the Forum have triple sealable steel doors?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It depends on the size and speed of the comet, meteor, big rock, some randomly named space rock,etc.

If its big enough, it might just, destory earth all together. That, no bunker can save unless a colony spaceship.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humster
It depends on the size and speed of the comet, meteor, big rock, some randomly named space rock,etc.

If its big enough, it might just, destory earth all together. That, no bunker can save unless a colony spaceship.

Good point... But it could give a quite good shelter, I suppose...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
haven't you ever wondered why the huge undeground carparks under the Forum have triple sealable steel doors?

No I haven't... How did you get your hands on this kind of information...?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Friends among high ranking Military (a general and a colonel) and some friends among Emergency services and energy sector

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
That sounds really cool...
Really I didn't know that...
So, they can take a nuke explosion, hardly an EMP attack...?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
it is very unlikely that the construction of such large bunkers would go unnnoticed , the cost would be horrendous aswell , so why not use already existing installations .

WWII has left a lot of still perfectly useable underground complexes , many of them closed now , but it isn't very hard to imagine that some of them have been kept in condition and modernised over the last decades , especially with the cold war lasting so long

the u-boot bunkers built on the atlantic wall are so massive that allies abandoned the idea of destroying them after the war (to dangerous for the civilian pop)
impressive WWII u-boot bunkers (sorry in french)

berlin bunkers 1

hiddenplaces.de main site

berlin underground

Luxembourg city (my "living quarters") has an extensive network of galleries dug in the rocky plateau on top of which the city has been built, officialy +- 15 km are still "useable", but some say another 10-15 km could be reopened and used.During WWII the galleries were used as bomb shelters , most of the population could find refuge in these galleries.Originally this complex had been designed to be a fortress in the fortress (luxembourg was called the gibraltar of the north, and has never been taken by military force) evrything was available underground from stables to bakeries and infirmaries and that already in the 17th century.

luxembourg casemates

another very impressive but modern complex is the Muskö swedish naval bas , which even hosts an underground harbor

google earth placemark

many closed salt mines throughout the world are being used for either storing radioactive and other dangerous goods or more "military" type use
some of these mines have a network of galleries that extend over dozens of km's

the list could go on forever

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Nice links, Yes, well I get your point... And I think exactly like you..

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Friends among high ranking Military (a general and a colonel) and some friends among Emergency services and energy sector

A huge bunker comples is built under this shopping-center in Helsnki/Finland...?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN

Good point... But it could give a quite good shelter, I suppose...

It will be a good shelter.

But imagine you having it in a country, lets say NK. If only fine day war breaks out, the cool bunker would probably be the first target for some new bunker busting weapon

Reason? Its well built. Must have some very important ppl in it.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yeah, but this bunker would only be built under "no war time era" whena meteorit would hit earth... BTW, it would be impossible ti fight then, the dust would just make it too hard...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You need bunkers in wartime because they are located where the bombs are going to be. In the case of a meteor strike, given that you know exactly where it is going to hit it's much easier to move people to several thousand miles away. No radioactive fallout or radiation to worry about, so an aboveground settlement will be fine. Depending on the exact effect impact on the climate, food is going to be the big issue.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The better way would be investing the money for the bumker for anti- meteor/comet defence - and you can save whole earth not just few people.

[edit on 15-8-2005 by longbow]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

You need bunkers in wartime because they are located where the bombs are going to be. In the case of a meteor strike, given that you know exactly where it is going to hit it's much easier to move people to several thousand miles away. No radioactive fallout or radiation to worry about, so an aboveground settlement will be fine. Depending on the exact effect impact on the climate, food is going to be the big issue.

That depends if the rock is radiioactive and as FIN said, lots of dust going to block out sun...

longbow

I think nasa was working on something like that.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
hmmmm, a bunker for 1 million dudes????, how how many CATs you would need?????, i will go for a sub-terrain nuke

yes, yes i know, then the guys will start with the "radiation issue", but that could be fixed, just a question of ventilation and remove some dirt.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join