It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000 dead in France

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
3000 is scary, because thats the estimated number of people who died on 9/11. A freaky number indeed.

Hellfire, the French should be careful. They need to realize the dangers of extreme temps, drink loads of water, and limit thier physical activities. High temps are nothing to play around with.

Levler, the article said that the number of deaths from the heat is 3000. Thats basically medical care workers saying this. I think medical professionals know the diff between heat induced death and other types of it. Many things caused by the heat can kill people. Asphyxiation, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, ect. Medical care workers getting called back from vacation.

The heat is killing them ,just like i feared it would.

I was thinking about that number the other day as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:37 AM
link   
How the hell do 3,000 people die from the heat? Don't they know that when it gets hot as #, you gotta drink water and keep yourself hydrated? It get's in the 120's in Las Vegas, but you don't hear about a bunch of people dying from the heat. I know France isn't as hot as Vegas, even if it was, all you have to do is drink a lot of water to stay adequately hydrated.

Still really sad to hear about, but I think it could have been prevented. RIP

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
hydrate you bastards HYDRATE!

but on a more serious note that is sad. europeans cant handle hot wether cause it never gets that hot over there.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Too FUNNY!!!!

What? "it is now 92 degrees, well, time to kick the bucket." French person.

Hello, it is over 100 degress in some places year round and that many don't die off. Don't say well they not use to the heat. What happens when someone from Canada goes to Miami? They don't go "well, it over 100 degrees, time to kick the bucket." No, don't use not use to it because if that was true, everytime someone from Europe went to Mexico/Africa/Aussie Land/Miami/middle east and so forth, they would die when they got off the plane.

I think it is just becuase the frogs to stupid to live. Fiurst want to let terrorists live, now dieing from heat that people in Arizona would be wearing sweaters in.(visited a 2nd cousin in Arizona, freaked out beause I left a window open when 87 degrees out because I was letting all the "cold" air in, same for a great grandparent in Florida, except it was only 83-85 degrees)

Anyways, that is funny. The survival of the fittest at it's best. I know I may offend some here, but look at it! They dieing from the heat! How many civilized cities do you have where thousands die because it is warm out? Now maybe if it was in Northern Alaska/Siberia, but this is in Europe! Not a frozen wasteland lucky to see -10 degrees, but Europe! Sorry, I feel no sympathy for the stupid. Now I do share some for the old people who couldn't handle it, but some of the people were in better shape then I am!!! Sorry, these people should be cremated as a final joke.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hmmmm, can we all say HAARP?!

regards
seekerof

WHAT THE # IS HAARP?

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How do so many die of heat?

Arabs have this kind of heat all the time....and don't just say they're used to it....I wasn't when I went there either...but I'm still alive...

My sympathies for them...but sounds like they may have died from ignorance, not heat. No air conditioning in the hospitals??? Sorry, but temperature or not, you would want ac and air filtration in a hospital.... Ridiculous, and barbaric.... Remind me never to have to use a hospital in France....

Even with a lack of ac, there are plenty of ways to keep cool... This is a tragedy, to be sure, but one that it compounded by the fact that with an iota of common sense, it could have been prevented.....

arabs have ilved in that kind of heat for thousands of 100's of years! thats why. they know what to do when it gets really hot. the frogs dont.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
According to one report,the deaths are mostly of people over 70 yo,and the medical establishment is being blamed because there was a shortage of home care professionals,there were too many on vacation.

If that is true ,it can be blamed on lack of forethough more than anything else..

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Im still thinking its unnatural. This wetaher is NOT normal for Europe. heat of this proportion in Europe is as freakish as a snowstorm in Saudi Arabia. the people in Europe have lived in a cool, damp climate for thousands of years. Why do you think Caucasian people are paler than other people? its because its cold, little sun, and very wet. Thus, France, germany, UK, all those countries simply are not used to it. In the states, there are many places that dont have air conditioning. I used to live in central Cali, where it would range from the 90's to about 115 and stay that way for months in the summer. I never suffered, because i was used to that heat, my body can aircondition itself.

Global warming? i still doubt that fossil fuels are to blame alone, as unbalanced said, people forget that nature changes climates on her own. Look at the history of the earth, the massive cataclysmic and sudden climate changes, the ice ages, the meteor stikes, ect. People forget were going into another pole shift here, major weather changes are soon to come. Fossil fuels may simply be aggrivating the problem, a problem that iusnt caused by us, but mother nature.

Im still banking on HAARP tho, as the cause of this heatwave. I was reading on the news about the massive losses in France as far as agriculture: 4 million French chickens died, wheat and other crops expected to suffer severe losses. Not to mention what this might do to water supplies. And note that it seems only France has gotten hot really hard. Germany got hit, though not as sevrely, and the Germans are even less used to strong heat than the french.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
...and this wigged out weather will effect the whole planet,crop losses and shortcomings have been happening for a few years in the US,the corn crops in my area are stunted from a shortage of rainfall.

Great big chain reaction taking place,nothing anyone can do about it besides attempt to live a more modest lifestyle before one is forced on them.

People depend too much on others to supply them with more than they really need.

The fan is spinning,where is the doo-doo?.

Close.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Im still thinking its unnatural. This wetaher is NOT normal for Europe. heat of this proportion in Europe is as freakish as a snowstorm in Saudi Arabia. the people in Europe have lived in a cool, damp climate for thousands of years. Why do you think Caucasian people are paler than other people? its because its cold, little sun, and very wet. Thus, France, germany, UK, all those countries simply are not used to it. In the states, there are many places that dont have air conditioning. I used to live in central Cali, where it would range from the 90's to about 115 and stay that way for months in the summer. I never suffered, because i was used to that heat, my body can aircondition itself.

Global warming? i still doubt that fossil fuels are to blame alone, as unbalanced said, people forget that nature changes climates on her own. Look at the history of the earth, the massive cataclysmic and sudden climate changes, the ice ages, the meteor stikes, ect. People forget were going into another pole shift here, major weather changes are soon to come. Fossil fuels may simply be aggrivating the problem, a problem that iusnt caused by us, but mother nature.

Im still banking on HAARP tho, as the cause of this heatwave. I was reading on the news about the massive losses in France as far as agriculture: 4 million French chickens died, wheat and other crops expected to suffer severe losses. Not to mention what this might do to water supplies. And note that it seems only France has gotten hot really hard. Germany got hit, though not as sevrely, and the Germans are even less used to strong heat than the french.

what? one warmer than average summer and you start with the harrp or what ever the # it is

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Reuters

Air pollution may have been the cause of death for thousands of French people who died in a heatwave that struck Europe this August, an environmental official said Monday.

A recent study suggests that pollution may also have been a key cause of death, as searing temperatures and a lack of wind left a cloud of smog hanging over Paris.

While ozone in the upper atmosphere is vital for filtering out harmful ultraviolet light, ground-level ozone -- caused by sunlight reacting with certain forms of pollution, especially car exhaust emissions -- can cause respiratory problems.

REUTERS STORY

That makes a bit more sense than strictly heat causing all those deaths, just a sad situation in France.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 04:34 PM
link   
There are 2 effects that multiply each other in the environment
1.)CO2 that keeps energy that hits the surface in. This is cause of thermodynamics that occur. Light can pass CO2 just as easily as it does nitrogen, but when it is turned into heat, the CO2 does not radiate as much of the energy back into space. Indead, is more CO2 in the atmosphere now then there was 100 years ago. Reason: the use of carbon fossil fuels that were, previously, sealed up in the earths surface.
2.)Ozone depletion that blocks radiation from hitting the surface. The ozone layer is depleted in the polar regions. That means that electromagnetic radiation from the ultraviolet spectrum hits the Earth and the Earth is, by gosh, heated. This coupled with more CO2 in the atmosphere that traps thermal energy means that, and I formally conclude: unbalanced, you are an idiot.

"The only other comment I have about helping them is:
-Are my taxes going to go up ,yet more,to pay for assisting them?,if so,I say let em burn. "-unbalanced

"I honestly believe that the number has been manipulated for shock value,and besides that,I have never met anyone who lives forever anyway.
-it is all quite meaningless-"-unbalanced

jerk

[Edited on 1-9-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Global warming? You do know this is natural? Over the years, there has been sevral warming and cooling periods. Ice ages made, Ice ages go. Tropical ages start, tropical ages last till the next global cooling. Repeat.

Anyways, hahahahahaha!!!!!!! Oh no! It is 92 degrees! I better die since I'm french!

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
By your logic, then we should blow the Atmosphere out into space using HAARP. I mean, there is natural atmospheric vaporization by solar wind ions in the exosphere. So, who cares if we speed up this process or extend the results beyond the natural limits.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I didn't see it updated anywhere on this thread but my understanding is that the numbers are hovering around 11,000 dead in France from the heatwave(s).

regards
seekerof

zed

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but is that number just the number o people who died during the heatwave or is it the number of people who died of heatstroke?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join