It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000 dead in France

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I think Bush is turning the HAARP array on France to punish them for not going along with him.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How do so many die of heat?

Arabs have this kind of heat all the time....and don't just say they're used to it....I wasn't when I went there either...but I'm still alive...

My sympathies for them...but sounds like they may have died from ignorance, not heat. No air conditioning in the hospitals??? Sorry, but temperature or not, you would want ac and air filtration in a hospital.... Ridiculous, and barbaric.... Remind me never to have to use a hospital in France....

Even with a lack of ac, there are plenty of ways to keep cool... This is a tragedy, to be sure, but one that it compounded by the fact that with an iota of common sense, it could have been prevented.....

People who die are almost old weak people who dont think to drink enought water.
In Paris, there is also the pollution (OZONE, CO2) that increase the number of diseases...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I think Bush is turning the HAARP array on France to punish them for not going along with him.

Maybe. But if so he didn't used HAARP so well, because it seem that backwave went in the NYC area...

No, I'm kiddin'. I dont think that HAARP can have an influence on the solar activity, too big, too far... But it's probably a consequence of the "effect of greenhouse", the reheating of planet...

In europe, winter are getting shorter and coldier and summer warmer and longer...

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I have been in a certain place for the second hottest day on record there (53 degrees Celsius).

I was canoeing, and had to fall in the water every 200 metres or so to avoid being totally burned to a crisp.

Oppressive heat is absolutely unbearable for people without the constitution to manage it.

But 3000? 3000?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I pick this up from the linked article:

General Funeral Services, which has approximately 25 percent of the funeral home business in France, reported to the Health Ministry that it had handled 3,230 deaths across the country in the previous week, a number 37 percent above the number of deaths for the same week a year ago.

In a written statement, the French Health Ministry said, "Drawing on all the data, and taking account of extrapolations to apply to the whole of France, the number of the deaths tied directly or indirectly to heat during this period can be estimated at around 3,000 for the whole of France.

So, General Funeral Services is 25% of the funereal market, which means French deaths in the subject week were approx. 12,920 - of which 3,000 have been attributed by the Health Ministry to heat-related causes.

It truly is a horrific toll, and I cannot fathom how so many people could be unable to get relief from heat.

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueTrooper
My god thats bad, its been hot in england but christ all those people dying of the heat is bad

Yes, yessssss

France reached record polution levels this summer, along with the rest of Europe.

Make more polution, drive more SUVs, go on

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I honestly believe that the number has been manipulated for shock value,and besides that,I have never met anyone who lives forever anyway.
-it is all quite meaningless-

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
I honestly believe that the number has been manipulated for shock value,and besides that,I have never met anyone who lives forever anyway.

The number could have been manipulated, but why would the french government lie about the number of deaths?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
Why is that number of people dieing. Where I am living the temp gets over 100 degrees many times of the week amd not many people die.

You mean 100 degree farhaneit ! Actually in france the temp is about 150 Faraneit. 50 Celsius. (100� Celsius is the tem of boiling water ! )

It's that, it's like in the book of ray bradbury 150� Faranheit !
This is the end of the world... (Hoolla, Sun knocked my head today
)

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
without any protection, hat or solar cream...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Jesus, i never knew it was THAT hot in france, those poor people

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   

3000 people have died in France recently, and although not al of their deaths will have been due to the heat, it is a disturbing increase on the death rates of previous years, as much as 37%.

It has been unbearably hot all across Europe this summer, and nowhere more so than France. It doesn't surprise me that people are dying, but the number is just too great too comprehend

What really sickens me is that when the Health Service warned the French government that the death rate was getting out of hand, the government denied that anything was wrong, and toed the same line for a whole week. If they had actually acknowledged the problem at hand, then something might have been done

The heat in Provence in southern France in late June nearly killed me, and as the weather has become so much hotter all over the continent recently, it frightens me to think how hot it must be now. I hope this doesn't last, but I fear it may only be the beginning. Global Warming now seems a very real threat indeed

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Global warming is getting out of hand now. When it comes to winter in europe, its gonna be freezing...brrrrrr

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Global warming is getting out of hand now. When it comes to winter in europe, its gonna be freezing...brrrrrr

Winter?! You English don't know the meaning of the word! I'm gonna freeze to death up here!
Still, I'd rather be in Scotland right now than in France, I shudder to think what they must be going through
. It couldn't be happening to nicer people either, and I say that in all sincerity.

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

The number could have been manipulated, but why would the french government lie about the number of deaths?

Well duh. It's like telling you how many people die of cancer so that you'll give up smoking.
Not all cancer victims are cigarette smokers.

By making a big issue out of this, the French government saves money. People become too scared to go out in the Sun. Hospitalization cases for heatstrokes, melanomas and other UV related illnesses recede and their health service saves a few million Euros.

You have to also remember that the age mortality rate has risen vastly. The people who are dying now are the people who would probably have died if there was a cold winter.

I suggest checking the annual figures for winter deaths in France. It would be interesting to compare them with what you are seeing now.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Global warming is just one of those things that are used to blame the environmental problems on those who use fossil fuels.

The people who profit from selling those fuels the masses consume use it to shift the blame from themselves,since if it is really the cause,they are to blame.

This warming thing is part of the natural climatic cycle,warmer temps cause ozone to deplete more slowly.

Even if fossil fuels are a cause of global warming,the natural checks and balances will correct it eventually.

someone could call it environmental evolution.

Of course someone would use natural processes to fulfill an agenda,just what might that agenda be?.

IMHO,but there are many sources out there to support what I say,if someone really wants to know ,they will find the truth.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I heard somewhere a while back that France had the highest proportion of old people to young people. The elderly tend to be more vulnerable to heat waves. Also, its possible that many of the old are just reaching old age. Either way, its unfortunate, I disagreed with France over the Iraq war, but I would never wish something like this.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Some of you people are still misreading the article completely.

Over 3000 people died as a direct result of the heat, in a week when 13,000 people died. The increase of 37% amounted to 3000 people, not 37% of 3000 people.

It is a shocking statistic.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Can anyone show any correlation between HAARP and alterations in the Gulf Stream? The Gulf Stream has a major affect on European weather and could have something to do with the heat wave. Just a thought.:

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Almost third aged people who live alone, and forgot to drink enought water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join