It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
Water will be the new gold of the future I believe.

Glad I live in Michigan then... I will be like the Beverly Hillbillies!

Maybe our crap economy will pick up and our property will be worth something again.

A silver lining?

Sorry... I know thisis a serious subject.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by Slap Nuts]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just in case anyone thought the BILLIONS mentioned in my previous post only affects.....well...."them"....then think again:

Water shortage 'a global problem'

Rich countries face increasing water shortages, a report by conservation organisation WWF warns.

A combination of climate change and poor resource management is leading to water shortages in even the most developed countries, it says.

It urges water conservation on a global scale and asks rich states to set an example by repairing ageing water infrastructure and tackling pollution.

More...

[edit on 16-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Yet another:

Cost of water shortage: civil unrest, mass migration and economic collapse:
Analysts see widespread conflicts by 2015 but pin hopes on technology and better management

Cholera may return to London, the mass migration of Africans could cause civil unrest in Europe and China's economy could crash by 2015 as the supply of fresh water becomes critical to the global economy. That was the bleak assessment yesterday by forecasters from some of the world's leading corporate users of fresh water, 200 of the largest food, oil, water and chemical companies.

More...

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Drought leaves 18 million thirsty in China

Hot weather and a severe drought have left millions of people short of drinking water and millions of hectares of cropland damaged in China.

By Thursday, 18.03 million people in 15 Chinese provinces and regions were suffering drinking water shortages caused by the drought, according to Chinese Ministry of Water Resources.

Forecasts from the meteorological department say that the hot and dry conditions will continue in the areas hit by drought and rain is very unlikely.

"The severe drought will not ease up and is very likely to get worse," the ministry said on its website.

More...

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
Russians and Americans can CREATE rain on an otherwise Sunny day.

What they do is release some kind of crystal into the clouds and poof! it starts raining!

haha nice idea, Haarp is great. There is a device called a Chem or cloud buster used for destroying chemtrails that was originally designed to bring rain to areas with drought..

Either way this makes me think that one day Canada will be invaded and I will have to defend the water!!!!!

[edit on 21-8-2006 by CranialExtractor]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Water scarcity affects one in three

A third of the world’s population is suffering from a shortage of water, raising the prospect of “water crises” in countries such as China, India and the US. Scientists had forecast in 2000 that one in three would face water shortages by 2025, but water experts have been shocked to find that this threshold has already been crossed...

About a quarter of the world’s population lives in areas of “physical water shortage”, where natural forces, over-use and poor agricultural practices have led to falling groundwater levels and rivers drying up. But a further 1bn people face “economic water shortages”, because lack the necessary infrastructure to take water from rivers and aquifers.

The findings come from a report compiled by 700 experts over five years, the Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture from the International Water Management Institute, presented on Monday at World Water Week in Stockholm, an international meeting of water experts.

More...

Folks, this is serious!

[edit on 21-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I am not affected yet.
Anyone in the east coast having water problems ?
Or for that matter, who does have water problems ?

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
I am not affected yet.

Well...ok...I guess you can go back to sleep now.

Map details global water stress

The alarming extent of water scarcity across the world is detailed in a map compiled by a leading environmental think tank.
It shows two key types of scarcity; water is said to be either physically scarce or economically scarce.

The map appears in a report by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) on the use of water in agriculture.

Agricultural activities consume most water on a worldwide basis...

More...

[edit on 21-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
I am not affected yet.
Anyone in the east coast having water problems ?
Or for that matter, who does have water problems ?

Way wetter and colder than normal in Alaska. It's always colder and wetter here when its hot and dry down south. They are having floods a hundred miles north of Anchorage and the creeks in Anchorage are overflowing in some places.

We need to look at the global picture not just local events. Changes in climate happen over centuries or millenia, not over a few years. The dust-bowl was worse than this. That is not to say that this may not get worse though. Communities may need to relocate eventually. Many are built in stupid locations anyway. Look at Las Vegas. They are out of water to tap into but they just keep building away. Look at Los Angeles. They ran out of water long ago and have resorted to importing water via rivers and canals. They have even tried to sue users upstream in Idaho to try and steal their water for Los Angeles. The truth is they should have stopped development years ago. You have to be a complete idiot to out-develop your water supply in a desert environment.

The key is preparation for the worst. Take care of your own. I have a ceramic filter that purifies 3.5 liters of water an hour and the filter lasts for thousands of liters. The whole gizmo cost $80 at a Culligan store. It costs much less than bottled water and its cleaner. It filters down to a couple of microns. Most backpackers have one in their pack.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A water shortage...that is not good. I'm just going to have to hoard all the Great Lakes to myself and those who share them with me. Which considering the numbers, I may have to restrict even those statesmen who may transport waters out of the basin...

*Mounts up and races off calling fellow ATSers*

ATS Michiganders
ADSUMO NULLUS FERRATILIS!

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
I'm just going to have to hoard all the Great Lakes to myself and those who share them with me.

Hoard away!

Great Lakes Mercury Pollution

Mercury levels in some of the Great Lakes region's fish species are so high they've prompted government consumption advisories for pregnant women and young children.

and...

Lake Erie's dead zone

Researchers will spend two years tracking the effects of the lake's perennial "dead zone," a massive area of low oxygen levels that appears in the center of the lake each summer.

Drugs in sewage

Oakland University researchers are looking at how prescription drugs, especially estrogen-rich birth control pills, affect the sexual development of male tadpoles. Because prescription drugs don't break down in water, they aren't broken down in the sewage treatment process. Oakland University researcher Linda Schweitzer is working with the Detroit sewage plant to see whether bombarding sewage with ozone might break down estrogen and other harmful elements in prescription medications that now are released into the Great Lakes waterways after the final stage of sewage treatment.

St. Clair spills

The U.S. Government Accountability Office, Congress' investigative arm, is looking at the frequency of chemical and petroleum spills on the U.S. and Canadian sides of the river since 1994 and the timeliness of notification procedures. The report, due in November, follows public outcry in Michigan over continued spills by Canadian companies. Environmentalists say the companies are responsible for hundreds of spills over the past two decades.

Link.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It all depends on what portion of the great lakes you wanna horde ADVISOR.
The stuff in lake Ontario is pretty nasty stuff.
Not sure of the other places.
Loam, you are mostly correct save for one, I forget which one it is, but it seems the Zebra mussel has proved it can filter much more toxins then the species it displaced. I'll try and dig up the relevant link(though thinking back, I think I read about that in my Ecology Textbook...)

As for the water shortage, there has been none in Southern Ontario. Our Climate seems to be getting milder and wetter as these changes hit us. When I was a kid, this is how I remember the climate behaving: Mild and Long Summers(the summer weather would last a good month to month and a half(temp rang 26-32 degrees celcius), dry with lots of water shortages. Now, Summer is getting shorter, hotter and a helluva lot wetter. In July alone we recieved a full summers worth of precipitation. Our Falls are getting warming and longer, same with spring. As for winter, it's the exact opposit of summer, except for the length which seems to be getting shorter decade by decade. This effect is even being talked about on the local 24/7 weather station(they go quite indepth).

[edit on 21-8-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I didnt say," Just because I am not affected nobody else is".....WTF ?

I just wanted to know if anyone was feeling the effects.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Please accept my apologies... I misunderstood.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Hey no problem.

Keep up the good work, this thread is really very very informative !

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Peak water back in the headlines.

Countries are now running out of water to produce their own food!

2006 World Water Week in Stockholm takes place August 20–26, 2006

An aerial view shows the polluted Nanhu Lake in Chongqing Municipality, China. China's rapidly growing economy is causing environmental strain. The country’s major rivers are plagued by pollution and many rural areas are in urgent need of clean drinking water. CNN

China's urban water supplies face severe test Reuters AlertNet
BEIJING, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Pollution and poor management have worsened the quality of China's increasingly scarce urban water supplies, but the government will spend $125 billion in the next five years on the problem, an official said on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Beijing to hold World Water Congress and Exhibition People's Daily Online
The World Water Congress and Exhibition will be held in Beijing from Sept. 10 to 14, focusing on worldwide water issues, a Ministry of Construction senior official announced Tuesday.
Nearly 3,000 water experts and scholars and government officials from various countries are expected to attend. Chinese Vice Premier Zeng Peiyan will be honorary president and deliver a keynote speech to the congress.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Scientists Call for Water Conservation CBS
Experts Say Water Shortages Affect One-Third of World Population VOA
Water loses in race for food The Standard
Food, biofuels could worsen water shortages: report Scientific American

Crisis Overload: Peak Oil, Peak Grain and Peak Water Peak Society?

FREE online solutions book!

Plan B 2.0:
Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble

[edit on 22-8-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well, water shortage in Australia has long been talked about around here....
At first people did as they were told, which is mostly always the way it goes...then it becomes a non existent issue.
I remember a few yrs back,people complained of their green lawns going a brown colour,and flowers dying because of the water ban and water usuage.
while, I'm sure, John Howards place at Canberra,(prime Minister)was all green and full of blooming flowers....maybe the rain in Canberra is of better quality?,who knows!
There has been all sorts of 'bans' on using water.....not sure if much is being adhered to, but Yes, supposedly there is a 'water shortage' and we need to try our best to conserve all that we have.

In Australia.......there has been a ban on using water at certain times.
eg/
When to and how to wash your car,buckets are allowed, but using a hose is out.
pretty stupid thing this 'bucket' thing, because one can actually use as many as they wish,and this actually adds up to more then one using a water hose.
When to water the garden....
certain times of the day are allowed with 'water sprinkler' systems.
And if one has installed a water tank, you get a government grant/rebate....
And all sorts of water saver washing machines ...goverment grant,oh,
And then there's a 'Dob in your neighbour' and get a hand out!

Not too long ago in the news.....a town(can't remember) tried to have 'sewerage' water used for drinking water(filtered and all)...it didn't pass, people made a fuss and all ,and things did not go with the plan ahead,or so the people think!
Maybe we are all drinking some sh**water........just hope this aint some brain washing technique they're trying on us.
hmmmmm,
Could this 'water shortage' be a conspiracy of what we know as the
'One World Order'.......World water shortage.
Another similar situation,which will,if not already, come into existence will be food.
I mean, what better way to have people trust in their government for something as lifesaving as Water.....look to your Goverment as a type of Saviour solution.
In my opinion,as I'm sure many of others opinions,
WATER,
Which is given freely,
only from the heavens above!
Should be just that!
Free.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter, so concerned..

Ps......not too long ago, some farmer was not allowed to use the water which was in his property because it was not his to have.....cannot recall the full story?
So,I'll be telling lies if I go on....
I'll try and get the story and post it here..if anyone is interested...
helen

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
If it's from a well, then it doesn't matter. Drawing from groundwater sources that many different people also draw on for wells, makes it a municipal jurisdiction. Mid. and N. Ontario have had similiar restrictions in the past, and S. Ontario used to have these restrictions as well, albeit rare as it was..

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To make a bad situation worse....
The aquafir levels are also on the decrease.
An aquafir is a huge underwater lake, they are all over the world.

San antonio is having problems, I am assuming that the graph on the bottom is jaded (at least I hope) due to summer usage of water.

www.saws.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
another disheartening development in the grand scale of things...

The Return of America's Dust Bowl Days

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join