It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thanks for that link worldwatcher.

...Hopefully, we will get lots of snow this winter. ...Any projections on what will happen of we don't?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Water levels in Canada's Upper Great Lakes are declining rapidly and substantially, but oddly, levels are not falling in the USA's Lower Great Lakes.

Canada and the United States are launching a $17.5-million study to determine why water levels in the upper Great Lakes have declined to near-record lows. ...The study by the International Joint Commission will consider a number of possible causes, from climate change to erosion caused by dredging in the St. Clair River. ...Environment Minister Rona Ambrose ...noted that water levels in Georgian Bay together with Lakes Huron and Michigan were as much as 45 centimetres below average this summer. ..."Clearly, the health of this ecosystem has global significance," she told a news conference at Parry Sound. "Change is already upon us." ...Huron and Michigan are at their lowest levels since the 1960s and Lake Superior is at its lowest since 1926, reports the Canadian Hydrology Service at Burlington, Ont.

...The decline has caused problems for navigation, recreation, power generation and the ecology of the area. Wetlands are drying up, docks are stranded and beaches in some areas are overgrown with weeds. ..."People that have lived along the shoreline and thought they have a million-dollar property no longer do, because instead of having a nice beach or a nice rocky shoreline in front, they've got muck with bulrushes growing in it," said Mary Muter of the Georgian Bay Association. ...She said there is a lot of concern about property values around Georgian Bay.

"The real thing that's got everybody concerned is not only are Lake Michigan and Huron dropping, but they're dropping relative to Erie," said Frank Quinn, a hydrology consultant at Tecumseh, N.Y. ..."The lakes have been low in the past, but the graphs show that all of a sudden starting probably in the late 1980s or early 1990s there came a major difference in the water levels. ..."If it was just generally low lake levels you would expect to find the same problem on Erie and Huron."

Researchers to probe decline in Great Lakes water levels

Let me guess... The US secretly built a pipeline and they're diverting Canada's water to the USA.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   

China: Deserts now swallow almost a million acres of land every year!

BEIJING -- A new Chinese export has been spreading quietly across Asia and America: dust.

Violent sandstorms from China's expanding deserts have been battering Chinese cities, and their mustard-colored dust has begun reaching South Korea, Japan, and the west coast of North America.

``People dusting off their cars in California or Calgary often don't realize the sand has come all the way from China," said Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute in Washington, D.C., who was in Beijing recently. ``There is a dustbowl developing in China that represents the largest conversion of productive land to desert of any place in the world . . . and it's affecting the world."

China has always suffered from aridity. About 25 percent of its landmass is composed of deserts made famous in tales about the Silk Road, which traversed many of them.

But the situation is getting worse.

More...

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Experts have been saying that by 2025 1/3rd of Humanity will be suffering Water Shortages, they where WRONG 1/3rd of the world are suffering that now, and it gets worse by the day !!

Brace yourselfs for the impending Water Wars!

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Think about where these highland country's water come from. They come from their mountains where ice used to be a lot, these ice melts into water flows down stream as spring water. Now with our glove warming up, where are these icy mountains to store water in the form of ice? Just a shot at the answer, I may be totally wrong.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
saw WyrdeOne's thread and was reminded to update this one

"It's liquid gold, it's a matter of life and death" - Australia's Water Crisis

Plan for the days when we'll have to collect our own water or deal with super low water pressures and much more serious restrictions than voluntary ones.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I remember reading something about how the water cycle has been interrupted.

Does anyone have any info on hand about this?

Thanks, sofi

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
it's been a while since I posted to this thread and during that time it seems that water situation is rapidly deteriorating.

Water shortage looming crisis for Earth

UN says world to face huge water shortage by 2025

Worldwide, Communities Demand Access to Water

I don't have the time to post every new story, but a simple search on water shortage will show you that countries like China, India, Australia, Canada, Romania, USA, and most of Africa, basically every continent on earth is seeing some sort of water woes.

We here in the US take our water for granted, we waste it and one day we'll regret it. Simple actions like turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth, or running only full loads of washing machine or dishwasher, to taking shorter showers can help conserve gallons and gallons of fresh water. Water Conservation in this country use to be an issue back in the 80's but now I rarely see anyone promoting water conservation. Water Conservation needs to make it back into the mainstream, or we'll all be sorry.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
How to avoid a water shortage:

1. Get cheap power (A billion ways to do this)

2. Start desalinating.

Yeah, someone's going to say "oh, no, you'll drain the oceans!!!" Nah, the oceans have got piles of water in them and they'll have more with rising sea levels. Plus, we can always just synthesize water directly from hydrogen and oxygen.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Woah, long time no look in. Nice thread worldwatcher.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
A list of where there is no drought this year would be longer.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54

hmmm....

If I lose my legs, is it helpful to point out I still have arms?

[edit on 6-5-2007 by loam]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54

Irrelevant. You need to look at drought in the major agricultural regions.

For example:

The US "Breadbasket" - which supplies the nation with most of its food, and exports a good portion of the GDP - relies on irrigating with water drawn from the Ogallala-High Plains aquifer.

But the Breadbasket has suffered drought for years - and the aquifer is nearly sucked dry.

So watcha gonna do? Attack Canada with a giant pipe?

correction/sp

[edit on 6-5-2007 by soficrow]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
So watch gonna do? Attack Canada with a giant pipe?

I think the viscosity of corn-on-the-cob prevents that.

(
Hi, sofi, been a while. Good to see ya, btw! )

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
WELL IN SO.DAK THIS PAST WEEKEND WE GOT PLENTY OF WATER HAHA OUR TOWN IS FLOODED SO I REALLY DONT THINK WERE HAVING A DROUGHT.....THE WATER DOESNT REALLY GO ANYWHERE I THINK IT JUST MOVES AROUND....WHILE ONE PART IS DRY ANOTHER IS GETTING DUMPPED ON....

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Mayor Begs Residents To Conserve Water

The commissioner of Atlanta's Department of Watershed Management made a plea for conservation today because of the severe drought that has forced restrictions on 61 counties in north Georgia.

Robert J. Hunter called it a drought "of historic magnitude." He said everyone must come together to protect and conserve limited water resources...

He said that now there is enough water in Lanier to serve the area for 121 days.

More...

This is just one story of several I could pull...

IMO...the story that will affect everyone...and yet no one is talking about.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by loam]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think EVERYONE concerned with the GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS should probably take some responsibility for their own actions.

A STAPLE IN THE GLOBAL WARMING 'MOVEMENT.'

Seems as everybody is so concerned with the crisis but are apathetic to the main factors.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
MODS, I know these are many topics but I think they should be on the cover page more often, it's been years since the S11 attacks, unless there's some breaking, important news retire that rollover. These should be up more often then not:

-fragile Earth
-Space Exploration
-Science
-Seti

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't trust this "no water" stuff" even we are 90% water everything evaporates and then it's restored from rain, plus water can be created from nothing because it's simply there in the air, everywhere surounding us, any refrigirator can do that, and from nothing may I add.
The earth is just going on a cicle, I don't buy this with no water because every drop we use go's back in the form of vapors and then turns in to water again, we can't consume water.
Some parts of the world may have too little and some parts too much, there is no equality in this sense but that is about it, I don't see people complaing about that they no not have water when they get flooded.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join