It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Precipitation isn't an absolute cycle, though. It doesn't carry and release the same amount of water every time in the very same place. Regions become barren with water. If you look at Utah, it was completey submerged in water which was called "Lake Bonneville." Guess where it is now? Not here because I'm living in what used to be 30' of water. It was the largest fresh water mass on the North American continent that it no longer here without the acceleration our species is currently contributng to the modern crisis..

Nature is wild, man.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by pepsi78

Precipitation isn't an absolute cycle, though. It doesn't carry and release the same amount of water every time in the very same place.

While some regions get a baren enviorment others get flooded, to my opinion what go's up comes down,
If you believe in the ICE age scenario reapeating it's self where every thing is going to freze then I don't see how we could run out of water.

I remain to the opinion that this is due to the unbalanced enviorment , while some places recive water more than the normal limit, some get none, some say the onceans are growing due to the fact that clouds form little by little over an area like the place you live around for example but it usualy rains in the middle of the ocean, that means you've been robed of your water and the lake you once had is now just part of the ocean.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

It's not relative though and it's obvious this behavior is accelerated by our own doing. The current state of the environment as a whole definitely isn't consistant with pre-industrialization. We need to come to terms with each and everyone one of our actions and quit justifying it through bogus reasoning like "what goes up, must come down." That wasn't meant to be rude in the slightest but if we keep suggesting it's a natural occurence we're just hastening the inevitable devistation of our eco-systems.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

The real issue is potable water. Fresh water supplies are drying up.

I've been slacking on this thread, but it's not because of a lack of stories out there. In the meantime I wanted to link these other threads that I feel should be part of the larger discussion and thank those members for their threads.

US drought spreading

Water Politics in Dalton & Atlanta GA

Our Drinkable Water Supply Is Vanishing

[edit on 11-1-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye
So where do you figure the water is going, if there's a shortage? Siphoned off to Mars?

No, the same quantity of water still exists, as it always has. (In fact, the supply is constantly being added to, via volcanic eruptions). Its just a matter of distribution, and the global climate takes care of that. Climate is a very dynamic and variable thing. There are some parts of the world that are chronically short of water (the great deserts), and others where it is constantly wet (coastal Washington/British Columbia comes to mind), and others where they go through cycles of drought (Spain, US/Canadian prairies. Its just the weather, man.

This is the first thing I thought as I began reading the thread. Water is the ultimate "renewable" resource, completely "sustainable" to use the buzz word of the day.

Except for the very small quanities that have left earth with spacecraft and thier occupants, all the water that was here 4 billion years ago is still here. Infact, there is more now than then thanks to comets.

Anyway...if we are experiencing a reduction in precipitation over large areas, all that water that is not falling as rain or snow must be accounted for. This is where it is...

Antarctica

So much for melting ice and sea level rise....

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Add this to the list of water woes. We want our 22 billion gallons of water back.

Water Wars 2007 - A Man Made Disaster:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Here's Georgias, and So. Californias, and Floridas, and Spains water....

Mexico

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My Grandma recalls a time when she was growing up called "The dust bowl". She says to 'be prepared, as it is cyclical."

www.livinghistoryfarm.org...

The most visible evidence of how dry the 1930s became was the dust storm. Tons of topsoil were blown off barren fields and carried in storm clouds for hundreds of miles. Technically, the driest region of the Plains – southeastern Colorado, southwest Kansas and the panhandles of Oklahoma and Texas – became known as the Dust Bowl, and many dust storms started there. But the entire region, and eventually the entire country, was affected.

Here is yet another interesting point of view on how these conditions could have lead to the migration and disappearance of the ancient Native American cultures such as the Anasazi.
www.sciencenewsforkids.org...

[edit on 2-11-2007 by antar]

[edit on 2-11-2007 by antar]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I would not underestimate how this issue will begin to nip at the edges. At first, large towns and cities will receive the attention and (perhaps) assistance they need. But how many of the small guys will?

Tennessee Town Has Run Out of Water

The severe drought tightening like a vise across the Southeast has threatened the water supply of cities large and small, sending politicians scrambling for solutions. But Orme, about 40 miles west of Chattanooga and 150 miles northwest of Atlanta, is a town where the worst-case scenario has already come to pass: The water has run out.

More...

If things don't change soon, we are going to see a dramatic shift in population centers. And, it is my bet it wont even be recognized until it is well under way.

This is the kind of crisis that for some will seem to have materialized overnight. Mark my words.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
umm...interesting, isn't it...
they'll be worldwide drought..
and at the same time they'll be world wide flooding..

we must of really ticked mother nature off this time.
or maybe she's going through menopause or something.

but, well, guess you can start to chose now, which would prefer...
live in a desert with no water, or on flooded land.
anyone care to guess where the livable land will be when it's all over?

west texas is green...lol...
lived there awhile, couldn't stand it....might have to go back if it gets green enough, just to see how it looks.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here's something else for the thread:

Climate change: Europe's most arid country battles desertification

When the world's paramount experts on global warming gather in Spain next week, they will not have to travel far to witness the impact of rising temperatures.

[...]

Around a seventh of Spain is at high risk of desertification, according to CIDE's estimates.

Those areas most at risk are the Canary Islands, where 57 percent of the territory is threatened, and two eastern provinces on the Spanish mainland, Valencia (29 percent) and Murcia (37 percent).

The United Nations estimates that six percent of the territory of Spain, the most arid country in Europe, has already been irreversibly damaged. The environmental group Greenpeace believes Spain's climate has begun to "Africanise".

Outlook not good... at least for the Mediterranean region. But here's something that baffles me -- while the temperate regions are experiencing water shortages, here in the tropics the rains are getting heavier and more frequent. Last week, Johor state in Malaysia (right across the causeway from Singapore) was flooded.. again. Can someone explain this to me?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Water can be reproduced, I don't know why people worry so much about it, you simply need a snow making machine, ice can be made from refrigirator instalations, if I have a refrigirator I can make water out of thin air by creating ice out of a refrigirator.
Water is just hidrogen mixed with oxigen, that being said I don't think we will ever run out of water for our needs.
Water is one of the blessed resource that does not run out, I can't say about other things tho, they do run out, and I do think we are consuming them at a fast paste rate.

[edit on 11-11-2007 by pepsi78]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
For the first time I have considered in storing water for future use. Water will be the new currency.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I believe the water is not in short supply, only moving locations.

Taking the context of our lives and superimposing this model onto the earth itself could show some new insights. We create as much as we destroy in our lives through thought forms and materials. The earth could grow and use its own resources just as easily as you or I. Maybe even create as you or I could though energetic feelings.

Good Luck!

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
beachcoma, I guess while some areas are drying out, others are getting too much rain.... perhaps it all has to do with changing patterns. Remember the Sahara area wasn't always a desert. Maybe things are going switch up again in the same manner.

As to reproducing water, I'm sure it can be done, but can it be done on a scale large enough to sustain 6 billion people if rivers, wells and springs dry up???

btw here's the latest and more proof how quickly a water shortage can come upon us.

Water shortage hits Delhi

New Delhi, Nov 15 - Tens of thousands of people in the Indian capital went without potable water for the third day Thursday after two water treatment plans were shut down by the authorities.

The crisis has mainly hit the western and northern parts of the city, with harried residents complaining that the administration had failed to provide them water tankers.

I don't think many people know the reality of not having water to brush your teeth, flush the toilets, do the dishes, take a shower. We are very spoiled in the western world with our ever flowing taps that gives us water at the turn of a knob. I grew up in an environment where you had to fetch your water in buckets from a shared community pipe. Water was only on at certain times of the day and there were always lines at the pipe. I remember being a child and being part of the bucket brigade to refill our daily water supplies... and that's in a tropical country that gets lots of rain. Sure we had water, but we didn't have the infrastructure to get the water to everyone... soon we'll the have infrastructure but not the water.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The latest water woes continue, however it is nice to see that the issue is gaining more attention. We never care until it affects us, but there is so much we can do now to conserve what we currently have, yet we don't do it. It's only when water shortages hit large populations do we ever pay attention, and India and China are most vulnerable even though many areas in the region seem to get more flooding and rain than they can handle.

83,000 thirsty for drinking water in Hunan
Changsha - About 83,000 people in central China's Hunan Province are facing drinking water shortages as drought has been plaguing the area for months.

As of Friday, 83,000 people in 31 counties in the province and 40,000 heads of livestock had been affected by water shortage, according to the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters.

The drought also affected 400,000 hectares of cropland and dried up more than 1,500 reservoirs.

and there is this:

Water shortages are likely to be trigger for wars, says UN chief Ban Ki Moon
A struggle by nations to secure sources of clean water will be “potent fuel” for war, the first Asia-Pacific Water Summit heard yesterday.

The Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki Moon, told delegates from across the region that the planet faced a water crisis that was especially troubling for Asia.

High population growth, rising consumption, pollution and poor water management posed significant threats, he said, adding that climate change was also making “a bad situation worse”.

let's hope the UN can do something about it and not just talk about it. I think we need a global campaign. Whatever happened to the "conserve water" ads of the 1980's? For some reason I recall Water Conservation being a bigger issue then than it is now. Public Education is the only way to start dealing with this issue.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Update on the "growing water shortage":

Schwarzenegger declares drought in CaliforniaSACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared a statewide drought after two years of below-average rainfall, low snowmelt runoff and a court-ordered restriction on water transfers.

Schwarzenegger warned that residents and water managers must immediately cut their water use or face the possibility of rationing next year if there is another dry winter.

and

Water crisis to be biggest world risk
A catastrophic water shortage could prove an even bigger threat to mankind this century than soaring food prices and the relentless exhaustion of energy reserves, according to a panel of global experts at the Goldman Sachs "Top Five Risks" conference.

Nicholas (Lord) Stern, author of the Government's Stern Review on the economics of climate change, warned that underground aquifers could run dry at the same time as melting glaciers play havoc with fresh supplies of usable water.

I found these articles to be quite interesting too:
Researcher: Drought slowing Old Faithful geyser

Drought hit central China, 560,000 short of drinking water

Visual image of drought conditions across CONUS
US Drought Monitor Week of June 3rd

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Mozamibue Flood 2008

Bolivia Flood 2007-2008

Exquador Flood 2008

WW,

My thoughts... Water on earth is a closed loop system. I agree climate change, geography, pollution, and saltwater encroachment can limit or restrict fresh water availability in certain locations, but we have a long, long way to go in terms of max. population before global fresh water reserves become stressed.

Too many people live in places that can't support the numbers .... the American SW is one area that comes to mind. Fl is one that will soon reach its limit.

There is more than enough water for everyone in the Great Lakes States and Provinces... I say let's all move to Ontario!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

Guess I'll have to consider that move to the Great Lakes then
unless we get the tropical rains without the hurricanes over Lake O".

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Hi WW,

My first post here... i was watching the yellowstone thread and found this one. Great site BTW!

So as for world water concerns, the only thing that would ever worry me as to not having enough water would be if we started using water as fuel. And that is a real possibility. I know that devices such as a joe cell or similar type device burns hydrogen which is derived from water, but I also know that the byproduct is steam so not all the water is lost to combustion. Not sure what the percentage is but on a global scale it could be significant.
Many people have the same opinion as me that the water shortages that are affecting specific regions are natural cyclical events. Also you have to remember that global warming is not a bad thing since it makes our planet actually wetter and humans seem to flourish in such an environment. The ice ages actually are drier since not as much water is evaporated off the oceans and thus not as much rain. I really believe if we didnt have the populations living in areas that arent meant to hold mega populations this wouldnt be an issue.
And the real culprit in the future will be actually falling world temps due to global dimming from both human and natural sources. That would be much worse for us all as a species.
And dont forget HAARP and the other similar devices around the world that we could use ( or already are ) for weather control.
I am with the BBC and see global warming as a hoax. Its a new industry that is making "green" very profitable for many people. Tha real issue IMO is deforestation, species extinction, and contamination of areas due to humans and their chemicals. Poisoning the water (like Hanford which sits on one of the biggest aquafers in the world in E. Washington state) is another huge issue. I would hate to see a big event let nuclear waste into the Columbia River. It would spell disaster in my neck of the woods.
Ok all, so hi, and hope to see y'all around!

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join